Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forsaken World: Clifton Chu Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager recently had the opportunity to sit down to talk with Forsaken World Product Manager Clifton Chu. The discussion meandered from Forsaken World's visual style to the difference between FW and other PWE games to the achievement system. It's a terrific read that you won't want to miss. Check it out!

There's a great emphasis on Forsaken World's art style. How important is it to establish a striking visual style for a new game just starting out?

Forsaken World does have a very distinct art style and we wanted to showcase that this was a western game right out of the gate. Our concept artists took elements from around the world to create Forsaken World and you’ll see a lot of European design elements with the characters as well as in the architecture.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Forsaken World: Clifton Chu Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• S00S00S00S00 Member UncommonPosts: 69

I Downloaded Forsaken World last night - not overly impressed at all, graphics r not bad - but Character Movement is WEIRD!  I did not stay to do more than a couple of the quests as it was late, but they were nothing to write home about!  All in all - I do not think I will even bother going back in to play - I will just uninstall.

I am an Abstract sort of Creature
    Who Dislikes any sort of Restraint
    If you try to pigeonhole me
    I Will Break Free!

• S00S00S00S00 Member UncommonPosts: 69

This is a WESTERN GAME?  ROTFL - I do not think so! The quest Text will tell everyone right away it is not Western!  Unless they have an Eastern Quest writer......lol  Besides that - looking at the game - all in all - It is NOT Western!

I am an Abstract sort of Creature
    Who Dislikes any sort of Restraint
    If you try to pigeonhole me
    I Will Break Free!

• SaboterrSaboterr Member Posts: 36

This game has a problem that i see way too often in F2P games and i'm sure many people won't get it but still -- The environment in the game, doesn't seem to blend in with mobs and such, it feels so artificial... I can't really explain it, but it goes hand-to-hand with gameplay. This game's gameplay, as in controls, just seems to thick... I honestly think that WoW's gameplay is one of the best i've ever experienced and to be quite honest i wouldn't mind if they all copied it... But WELL. Just so i don't get tagged as a WoW Fanboy, another example can come from the great RPG -- Which isn't an MMO, but still -- DA:O (Dragon Age: Origins), and consequently DA2 (Great game :)).

Honestly i still haven't understood the concept of "western game", given the only thing i see different in it from BOI for example, is the fact that you have a 'decent' level cap, and that the game is about dungeons and such, that ain't exactly all about button smashing -- But if that's the concept of "western game" than i guess this game has that... In a way!

Honestly i am very dissapointed with this game, i was hoping for a really decent F2P, but i ended up with a game to uninstall... Shame :

Just looking around... Hoping GW2's community won't suck :)

• randomuser83randomuser83 Member Posts: 37

I've played the game to 30 so far and I gotta say that it's one of the better F2P games I've ever jumped into.

The movement is a bit strange but the combat mechanics are pretty good.  Additionally, the game has a lot of features you would expect in a subscription game, like dungeon queues, in-depth crafting, and pretty deep guild/social systems.

The people who have jumped in and played for 5 minutes really have no idea what they're talking about.

So far the game has not disappointed me, will update when I get to 40.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I agree with randomuser83.  Definately one of the best F2P games I ever played, right alongside Allods (maybe even better due to there being no forced PVP in FW).  It has so many features that frankly they overwhelm me a bit.  That is a good thing.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

I didn't mind that the artstyle, the costumes, are typical skimpy Korean style. But, when I got to the city and the game started dragging, it lost me. How many times should I have to run errands for one quest npc? The game says ten times. And running around looking for the npc's you need, is just not fun.

If you ever get out of the city, perhaps there is some fun. I won't know.

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

Have to aggree with randomuser83 and MadDemon64

This is one of the best f2p titles out there.

So much to do in this game , so many features , event system is a great addon.

But u have to get past level 20 to even realize that .

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Forsaken World is one of the better F2P games, nice quests and minigames, many convenience features like a really good working autoroute, dungeon and event finder, etc.
    Some really nice/interesting classes.
    The game has a charme of its own and the style of the game is not western as of from western origin but western like eastern eyes may see it which is quite charming.

The graphics is average, the Art is matter of taste and i like it bcs it offers a new look to the common mmos.

I dont like so much the coloration and the texture resolution.
    The textures often look like low resolution ones and the colours miss brilliance at all.
    I also play Perfect World now and then and they have managed textures and colouration far better (but their new area has the same problem, so maybe the lead artists should get differnt monitors or whatever, not everyone has a high glance screen).

In the end Forsaken World is worth a look and if it fits your taste you may have some entertaining time there...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kevorkianjkevorkianj Member Posts: 54

Some good features and gameplay, nice graphics. Extremely easy-mode and extremely emo-style (but the latter is a matter of taste).

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

I was going to log out and uninstall the game at my last play session but fortunately i hit level 15 before doing that and the game changed quite a bit after that. I sincerely recommend at least hit level 15 before making a decision if you want to give this game an honest chance.

• SaboterrSaboterr Member Posts: 36

Just so you know, i am level 29 in-game. So.... Yea.

Just looking around... Hoping GW2's community won't suck :)

• misfit7783misfit7783 Member Posts: 35

this is a good game ignore the people who are complaining about it don't knock it until you hit level 20.

Yes the city quests are quite slow going when you first hit the main city but after that everything flows, many events, easy guild system, great dungeon que system. Its a great f2p game compared to all the other f2p games I've come across. 

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49

It is a fun game, I might download it again. But my main complaint is that the game engine is not optimized very well. But Forsaken World I have issues with the water effects and some other settings. From what I hear on the forums is that it is more CPU intensive and it is not optimized for multi-CPUs. But other than that the game is nice for a F2P, I might try it again since they now have more servers and they have seperate PvE and PvP servers also.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• warmetalmikewarmetalmike Member Posts: 5

I have been playing this game for a while, its not a game you can decide if you like it or not just because you got to level 10. The game just a bit later on is OOOmazing. I just started getting into dungeons and its so fun. My only complaint with the game is the classes they are not even in the slighest. but its 9/10 material besides that. But personally off the fun factor me personal score is 10/10 maybe more.

• warmetalmikewarmetalmike Member Posts: 5

OH BTW you need to get to the twentys then the game is under your skin and you will be itching with withdrawls you will love this game so much

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"Forsaken World is one of the better F2P games"  I hear that repeated in this thread.

Like lambs to the slaughter, you are too inexperienced to understand how PW funds their games.  To get anywhere with your character expect to shell out far more than you would ever spend in a subscription game.

Early levels are usually fun in their games until you get to the higher levels.  Best thing to do is enjoy it while it is fun and then discard it for another game when it is not.

• JoyBoy80JoyBoy80 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Well this game have some big problems, i got in to the cb along time ago but there was a problem and i was not abeö to connect to the game. Well its only a cb lets give it some time...3-4 months later its open beta the they have not fixt the problem. This it the 1st game have have this problem on and its not just me just have a look on the forums.

Maybe the will fix it some day..