Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space combat: 6 minutes presentation from PAX

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by ukforze

Originally posted by ~Oblivion~

Yes I am disappointed in BioWare and Lucas Arts for suggestively releasing SWTOR with space combat in this condition. I understand everyone is excited about this game, I am fairly excited myself. No it is not Star Wars Galaxies, and yes I do understand that SWG did not release with space combat. That does not detract from the fact that this is Star Wars, it is a universe that is bridged by space travel, and in a time of conflict, space combat. What is a smuggler in this game but a class with Han Solo-esque abilities, clothing and weaponry? Why are they not releasing a game that thrusts the novice smuggler into the reaches of a Republic blockade that must be expertly navigated through at high speed to escape with their illegal cargo?

I expect more from a well respected development studio and from a franchise that has been milking their legacy for three decades. This is 2011, Star Wars Galaxies was released nearly a decade ago (7 Years 9 months). SWG set the bar in terms of what should be expected from a Star Wars MMORPG and it gave everyone a glimpse of what was lacking in the only SW MMO we have experienced to date.

I wholeheartedly believe that BioWare is capable of producing something better than a rail-shooter mini game for space combat in the most prolific Space Opera ever created.  Do I want to wait a year after release to experience full fledged space combat? No I do not, because I am tired of developers skimping on content, features and concepts because they are either 1) too incompetant to produce results 2) lack the time/funds/manning to produce results 3) these features are a part of their long-term marketing scheme for continually maintaining an interest in their product.

I am an MMORPG patron, that is an understatement, as I assume (given the location of these forums) that we all share this in common, it is us the patron that has the loudest word when it comes to forcing quality and finished products from developers. If we keep financially, intellectually and personally investing in titles that we know will not succeed just as their predecessors did not succeed, because these titles lack the proper design,  immersive features and polish that we should expect then we will always know disappointment.

In the MMORPG development world, you get out what you put in. The same applies to gamers and enthusiasts alike, we get out what we put in, when we put blind faith, zealous hype and high expectations into titles that are undeserving, we get eyes-wide-open disappointment.

Oblivion's post is spot on & says it all imo

Granted, space combat or space gameplay, could have been more realisticly implemented. 

But he's coming to very dramatic conclusions and recomendations by merely looking at the implementation of one single alternative gameplay element, an add-on, a minigame, which is space combat in SW:Tor (a vast, character gameplay based mmorpg).

It would be the same to judge Lotro only by it's music system or WOW by it's fishing. It could have been better though. And maybe they should have let it rest for later. I guess they listened to the community crying for space combat too much and frantically inserted this concept into their schedual.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Another thign that will have to be taken into consideration would be that if they spent a lot of time doing the space section (prior to initial launch) they most likely wouldn't be able to give us as good (as it's looking) ground section and character development to the game. I don't want to go into extreme off topic details but we all know that companies big and small have an internal deadline for when they should launch or are able to launch (possibly something to do with contracts and rights etc).

So the question is this, do we want to be able to play an awesome ground game with space as a side order and hopefully get better space content later down the road or play a mediocre game overall like all the other MMOs being released these days?

I for one would prefer to invest my sub money playing a decent game and hope for the extras later on.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Thats fair comment, im not judging the whole game based of the space side

of the game, but i am saying i am very disappointed as i expected better far from

bioware

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Antaran

As has already been stated in this very thread by other posters, it's a "side order".

Would i prefer SWG's Space version? hell yeah as i loved it personally, however it's not in SW:TOR AT LAUNCH, that is to say that it has the possibility of being redone completely (as with SWG) in the future. Until then or even if it never happens, i'll be enjoying space in SW:TOR for what it is and be the proud owner of a fully kitted out starship while those who don't want this kind of space will still be travelling from planet to planet in their basic, non upgraded starship.

Far from certain. You can't really add a 3D space sim on top of the tube clicker because then you'll have 2 different PvE single player space sims in the same game.

It's like making an MMO with 2 different ground combat game play mechanics, one point an click and one based on console combos. Doesn't make sense at all.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Deewe

As has already been stated in this very thread by other posters, it's a "side order".

Would i prefer SWG's Space version? hell yeah as i loved it personally, however it's not in SW:TOR AT LAUNCH, that is to say that it has the possibility of being redone completely (as with SWG) in the future. Until then or even if it never happens, i'll be enjoying space in SW:TOR for what it is and be the proud owner of a fully kitted out starship while those who don't want this kind of space will still be travelling from planet to planet in their basic, non upgraded starship.

Far from certain. You can't really add a 3D space sim on top of the tube clicker because then you'll have 2 different PvE single player space sims in the same game.

It's like making an MMO with 2 different ground combat game play mechanics, one point an click and one based on console combos. Doesn't make sense at all.

You can do almost anything you want, just some things are better to be done then others.  That said just because one segement is tube shooter doesn't mean you can't switch it up and make it a dome type area mid way through.

IT was already done in star fox 64:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PZWTGLbFc&feature=fvst

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Looks like it will be a nice change of pace from the RPG main game.  I'm not interested in having a completely seperate space simulator main game like SWG had.  Even in SWG, my primary focus was on the land content and character development, over ship modification and twitch combat.  So this works out well for me.  Maybe in the future, if they can manage to integrate space that includes the story and quest branching that is less about twitch and more about RPG, then I'll be interested.

Of course, the ones complaining are the people who really prefer consoles, but can't seem to let go of the PC.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

You really think the 5 minutes of fun this adds to the game was well spent development time, for a game that we are meant to play for years?

I get the feeling that BW are underestimating the MMO crowd, or how hardcore and picky we are when it comes to the games we play.

Minority is hardcore and picky. Majority of players are fairly casual.

Honestly, I do not even expect to be bale to keep my attention to any single MMO for as long as I did with WoW or EVE. I would be content if this amuses me for few months and after that I can always come back and check out the latest content updates. Remember that majority of players are very casual and secondly you can never please the hardest of the hardcore, they will always run out of content way before anyone else. This happend to me in classic WoW for example and I took few months off before the raiding in the game begun, as had nothing left to achieve, but perhaps play an alt.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Solestran

Looks like it will be a nice change of pace from the RPG main game.  I'm not interested in having a completely seperate space simulator main game like SWG had.  Even in SWG, my primary focus was on the land content and character development, over ship modification and twitch combat.  So this works out well for me.  Maybe in the future, if they can manage to integrate space that includes the story and quest branching that is less about twitch and more about RPG, then I'll be interested.

Of course, the ones complaining are the people who really prefer consoles, but can't seem to let go of the PC.

quite the reverse, the space factor of the game would be more appealing to a console kiddy than to the PC crowd, considering that all the comparisons are to PC games and not console ones after all,  its the PC gamers who enjoy the tie fighter vs xwing thing that are the most disappointed by the pseudo space minigame within SW:Tor..  a factor tbh, that i half expect will come back to bite Bioware in the arse at some point..  image

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by thexrated

You really think the 5 minutes of fun this adds to the game was well spent development time, for a game that we are meant to play for years?

I get the feeling that BW are underestimating the MMO crowd, or how hardcore and picky we are when it comes to the games we play.

Honestly, I do not even expect to be bale to keep my attention to any single MMO for as long as I did with WoW or EVE. I would be content if this amuses me for few months and after that I can always come back and check out the latest content updates. Remember that majority of players are very casual and secondly you can never please the hardest of the hardcore, they will always run out of content way before anyone else. This happend to me in classic WoW for example and I took few months off before the raiding in the game begun, as had nothing left to achieve, but perhaps play an alt.

I meant more how hardcore the avarage MMO gamer is to the avarage single player gamer. Ofcourse within the MMO crowd the majority of players are fairly casual, yet even those are probably more hardcore then non-mmo players.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Originally posted by Lille7

I meant more how hardcore the avarage MMO gamer is to the avarage single player gamer. Ofcourse within the MMO crowd the majority of players are fairly casual, yet even those are probably more hardcore then non-mmo players.

I for one am actually more critical of single player RPGs and such than MMOs, no need to input anythign to do with multiplayer and clashes of any kind when it comes to coding so single player RPGs and such have a higher standard to meet in my opinion.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I for one am actually more critical of single player RPGs and such than MMOs, no need to input anythign to do with multiplayer and clashes of any kind when it comes to coding so single player RPGs and such have a higher standard to meet in my opinion.

Personally Lille7, I think you are the one over estimating people.  The space mini-game was never even supposed to be in the game period and from what I have seen just on these forums, the majority of the people here are just glad to get that little bit and hope for more.  Considering that for the most part it is mostly the more "hard core" gamers that come to sites like these, then I feel comfortable saying that most of the casual players will be happy with it too.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by GMan3

Personally Lille7, I think you are the one over estimating people.  The space mini-game was never even supposed to be in the game period and from what I have seen just on these forums, the majority of the people here are just glad to get that little bit and hope for more.  Considering that for the most part it is mostly the more "hard core" gamers that come to sites like these, then I feel comfortable saying that most of the casual players will be happy with it too.

Funny, i think SOE were thinking the same thing with DCUO, and look where that got them, its never safe to assume things like that about casual players, sometimes their amongst the most demanding of all.image

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by GMan3

Funny, i think SOE were thinking the same thing with DCUO, and look where that got them, its never safe to assume things like that about casual players, sometimes their amongst the most demanding of all.image

I'm not so sure I follow you here.  It may be because I was not impressed by DCUO in any way from the very beginning.  Then along came a video in which I saw some amazingly hilarious running and "wall crawling" animations and I was sure they made some big mistakes with ALL of this game.  Maybe if they had just concentrated on trying to make a "Console"  MMO they could have perfected a new sub-genre in MMO's.  Instead they made the mistake of trying to expand on that to the PC market, didn't put in anywhere's near enough content even for a new MMO, and even the "Hero Creation Story" was laughable.  All in all, while DCUO seems to have some decent parts in it, the overall game sucks.

How exactly that compares to the space mini-game being in SWTOR you will have to explain to me.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm not really getting the hate for this besides the fact it looks single-player, which is quite odd in an MMO.  And this is from someone who doesn't think the rest of the game looks good.  Most of the arguments seems to be 'it just looks like an 80's shooter with updated graphics'.  So what? those games were fun.  Out of all the things to complain about in this game, I would have thought this would have been low on the list.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by Siveria

Looks fun to me, its enough when its not a core part of the game. Never know they could expand it later. I, myself am not that big of a Star wars fan, I am more worried about if the game will be good as a whole over what universe it takes place in heh. Its Bioware though and they have a very good track record. Though DA2 was sort of a letdown for me after how good DA:Origins was. Maybe I was expecting Origins 2. XD

x2

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think this is a recent update to their site about space combat: http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/space-combat

Can't find the announcement though, but anyway, the video here shows some additional scenario's apart from the asteroid one we saw at Pax. Also more of the ships pew-pewing. Looks pretty cool for a mini game.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Solestran

quite the reverse, the space factor of the game would be more appealing to a console kiddy than to the PC crowd, considering that all the comparisons are to PC games and not console ones after all,  its the PC gamers who enjoy the tie fighter vs xwing thing that are the most disappointed by the pseudo space minigame within SW:Tor..  a factor tbh, that i half expect will come back to bite Bioware in the arse at some point..  image

{mod edit}

Seriously it's minigame, you know the thing you have on phones nowday. Whole point is to having something else to do while waiting, but I guess people like boredom nowdays. I guess it's hard for sandbox people to understand that there is games where you don't HAVE TO repeat everything thousand times, instead do stuff for FUN.

{mod edit}

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Falcomith

Themepark mmos dont put things on rails. Sorry, but the rail system for space combat is retarded and removes the immersion and shows the lack of creativity or maybe laziness of Bioware.

Not true.  WoW does this quite frequently.  One example, you might mount a dragon, which takes off flying on a predetermined path over a battlefield, while you drop bombs on enemy troops.  You have no control of the flight path, whatsoever.

Criticize it if you like, but it is, in fact, in theme park MMO's.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Falcomith

Themepark mmos dont put things on rails. Sorry, but the rail system for space combat is retarded and removes the immersion and shows the lack of creativity or maybe laziness of Bioware.

Not true.  WoW does this quite frequently.  One example, you might mount a dragon, which takes off flying on a predetermined path over a battlefield, while you drop bombs on enemy troops.  You have no control of the flight path, whatsoever.

Criticize it if you like, but it is, in fact, in theme park MMO's.

Don't forget the hundreds of on-rails flightpaths on Griffons, Chimeras and Rockets everywhere!  And many of the new zones have on-rails riding something to the next set of quest chains after complete a series in many places.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Why oh why do they keep making SINGLE PLAYER features for a MASSIVELY multiplayer game :/

Is this even necessary? Are they really improving the game by adding an 80s arcade shooter to it?

Because it makes the GAME better. People sometimes play solo anyway in MMORPG.

And a Star Wars GAME is much better with space combat than without. The video looks very fun. I can't wait to try it out.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

I like it but it would be sooo much better if you could get a friend or friends to join you on your ship to operate the rear rotational gunnery while you fly and operate the main guns.   Other players would have first person view of targets.  Pilot third person of entire ship as per video.

Pobably awkward to impliment but awesome if it can be done.

Also mass space battles where multiple players operate the main guns on a battle cruiser in a crusier vs cruiser gunfight with all hands lost to the loser.  You could also have some players in small fighter craft supporting the main craft.

Huge scale PVP (and a bit Eve online ish)

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• Warlord33Warlord33 Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by seansean

impressive graphics(the guys who did STO should take note, because this is ship interiors done right), but, it's still space on rails, and rails are fail. they have the budget; they could have used JTL as a template and given us something truly amazing in space, instead of a (admittedly pretty) tack-on rail-fail. c'mon TOR devs, give us the whole deal in space, not a mcnugget.

This^

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Since SWG is once again being brought into the argument...

• SWG didn't have space at launch. TOR will.

• SWG didn't have mounts or speeders at launch. TOR will.

• SWG didn't allow smugglers to smuggle at launch. TOR will.

• SWG had 10 planets at launch. So far, 17 planets are confirmed for TOR and most of them will be larger that any that SWG had.

• SWG character progression was achieved by slaughtering animals. TOR character progression will be achieved by participating in an engaging story with choices that affect your character's reputation in game.

• SWG had little quest content at launch. TOR will have tons of fully voiced quest content.

• SWG only allowed one character slot at launch. 

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with TOR. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Eh... at least we know BioWare will have nice customization for the space ships. Right? Right?

Edit: With enough features, this space combat could have been an actual game for the PS3 or something. Be glad we have something in at all.

• marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268
    This looks just like a minigame, if you notice he is holding the pointer in the middle of the screen but the ship is moving left/right, the pointer is in the upper part of the screen but the ship is descending.

Don't want to be a party popper but it looks like an on rails shooter, you can just move your ship a bit to avoid asteroids but you can't control the direction the ship is moving in.

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.