Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Realms- 17 Million Users

Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Here's a quote from a recent article over at Massively:

"Apparently 17 million registered PC and Mac users are the tip of the iceberg for Sony Online Entertainment. The company's family-friendly Free Realms MMORPG is heading to the Playstation 3 on March 29th in an attempt to bring massively multiplayer enlightenment to the unwashed console masses (and reel in a few million new users in the process)."

My question is: If Free Realms has 17 million registered users, why do fanboys still cling to the myth that WoW is the most popular MMO?

Comments

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Because those are 17 million created users which is completely different from active subs.

I know several universities around here (including the one I attend) use free realms for virtual classrooms, projects, virtual meetings, and lots of other things. That's a lot of people creating accounts just for a few months of use if even that counted into that number.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Zeal77

Here's a quote from a recent article over at Massively:

"Apparently 17 million registered PC and Mac users are the tip of the iceberg for Sony Online Entertainment. The company's family-friendly Free Realms MMORPG is heading to the Playstation 3 on March 29th in an attempt to bring massively multiplayer enlightenment to the unwashed console masses (and reel in a few million new users in the process)."

My question is: If Free Realms has 17 million registered users, why do fanboys still cling to the myth that WoW is the most popular MMO?

Can't speak to your WoW fanboy comment as I'm sure there are many out there, but as for F2P games registered users is relatively meaningless.  For example I've done free trials on many P2P MMO's and have registered on many F2P MMO's.  The P2P MMO's like WoW cannot count me as a subscriber after my trial expires, but the F2P can because technically I am still subscribed.

I think the WoW number is impressive because those 12 million or so players (or whatever the number is these days) actually fork out $15 every month, while the Free Realms players may have registered, tried it, and left but are still counted as "registered users."

That is a big big difference.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• LithianlordLithianlord Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by helthros

Because those are 17 million created users which is completely different from active subs.

I know several universities around here (including the one I attend) use free realms for virtual classrooms, projects, virtual meetings, and lots of other things. That's a lot of people creating accounts just for a few months of use if even that counted into that number.

Why would anyone use Free Realms as a university meeting program? Why not second life or a more mature virtual world? Last and only time I tried FR it was just a kids simplistic mmo with a few mini-games.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Ok, so shave off maybe 5 million alts and university meets? I've never seen the F2P vs. pay to play defense before, but then again, it was never needed, until now.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Lithianlord

Originally posted by helthros

Why would anyone use Free Realms as a university meeting program? Why not second life or a more mature virtual world? Last and only time I tried FR it was just a kids simplistic mmo with a few mini-games.

You're absolutely right Second Life is the program they use. I stand corrected.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Ok, so shave off maybe 5 million alts and university meets? I've never seen the F2P vs. pay to play defense before, but then again, it was never needed, until now.

Yulgang (Scions of Fate) was claiming 15million 6yrs ago, before it ever officially had an English version. 

Accounts != Playing Characters

I probably signed up for Free Realms once, but I've never even downloaded it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

What are 17 million registration really? WoW has over 100 million and people actually paid for the box. It's like saying why Farmville has so many users. Are any of these guys paying 15 bucks per month? No, most of them are not paying anything.

{mod edit}

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

While 17 million registred users is pretty impressing, I can guarantee you that not even half of them actually play the game actively.

What really matters to companies is how much money the game bring in. I have a feeling Wow still win there.

If a MMO is the largest around and you count F2P games Perfect world is still the largest, they have 3 times as many registred users as freerealms and probably more active players than Wow.

But we don't compare F2P and P2P games. In fact is it not even fair to compare Wow and the rest of the P2P games since Wows Chinese players pay a small sum by the hour.

Either you compare how much money the company gets for the game or you put the games in classes (F2P, B2P, P2P) and just compare games with the same payment method against eachothers.

But freerealms have done well for itself, no one can take that from them (I can admit I smelled failure at the release).

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

because wow have 800 million player.  Apparently that's how many people registered a wow account.

Ok bye.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Because I'm about 4 (3-5, I'm not sure) of those registered Free Realms users and I've spent total of 10€ in that game. In WoW I'm counted as 0 active subcribers, and I've paid Blizzard more than 400€.

People who register, play for a few hours, then forget about the game are counted as registered users. If you test it multiple times over the years, chances are you'll be creating new account every time as you haven't bothered to keep your account name and password. The end result is that number of registered accounts isn't really indication of anything.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

17 million "accounts" and still the same 10 servers from release that remain nearly empty.  

That roughly averages almost 25,000 new players to free realms every single day or 2,500 new players per server per day.   That is equivalent to the peak population of a typical high population server joining every free realmsserver every single day for the nearly 2 year straight, but still not requiring additional servers. 

They might as well say 500 million players have signed up.   The math just doesn't add up.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

tsk tsk... I would say that 2 million of those are pedophiles

joking

Its a free game, not really surprising

Farmville owns every single game then

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

hm yeah just tried this. It looks to be a game for kids, and housewives. Quite a good concept- a world where you have a lot of things to do and gaining advancements and stuff, as well as combining a partial mmorpg appeal. Horribly cartoonish though, very carebear (ie as in carebear not the hardcore pvp player's peeve with modern mmorpgs), also laggy.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

ok since we're talking about the subs

is Free Realm actually still pretty much alive right now? ( as in the numbers of players that are still actively play the game )

So What Now?

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by TweFoju

ok since we're talking about the subs

is Free Realm actually still pretty much alive right now? ( as in the numbers of players that are still actively play the game )

No. WoW is king. WoW is best. All bow down to Blizzard. Fanboys rejoice! World of Warcraft is the best MMO of all time and all we can ever hope for. Get in the queue nao!