Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another terrible game, launched far too early with little to insight or inspiration

Comments

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Elmoren

Xsyon isn't bad game.  It's a poorly done game.  Much like other MMO's of the past few years, it suffers from the 'get it out the door!' mentality of MMO project managers and was rushed out far too early, severely crippling its potential. 

As I said, its not a bad game.  Howver, it's also not a good game.  It's a classic case of diehard MMO players (like myself) trying to find somewhere to call home, embracing the newest, poorly done, idea.  When you're bored, struggling to find a game to play in your spare time, you'll play ANYTHING.  Thats where Xsyon comes in.

If you haven't read forums or looked up guides, don't bother playing this game.  You won't be able to.  Not from an impossible point, but from a WTF point.  You'll come into a world without tooltips or descriptions, without a tutorial, without a blatantly obvious UI, and without much time to learn it.  You'll probably get ganked while trying to figure out what to do.

Don't get me started on character creation, where you get to allocate meaningless stat points into a few commonly named places.  I label them as meaningless because there is no way to figure out what each one does, and in game - some are even less obvious then their labels.

Tooltips are not hard to write.  They are not hard to implement, and they are inexcusable not to have in any program, of any kind (except perhaps a calculator) in any production level environment since 1995.  Information is never a bad thing.  Not having these means you're allergic to success and money.

Combat is a mass of poorly animated and designed characters from 1998 swinging wildly without any indication of, well, anything.  Are you hitting?  Are they?  when will either of you die?  What's happening?  Why play a game where you aren't even in reasonable control of your actions.  Swinging wildly at someone hoping you're hitting isn't PVP.  It's luck.  Go to the casio if that's your thing.

Just a terrible all around game, from another company that didn't bother to write up a project plan and pushed out a release far before it was ready.  What another monumental waste of time and development.  Incredible potential.

Do not buy this game.  You were warned.

?

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Its definitely rough around the edges, but I like it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

You know, I was thinking earlier.... what is it about this game that just has me hooked. Its the similarities in spirit to Jump Gate. NetDevil had what... 6 devs when they created JumpGate classic.. and they never gave in to what the majority cried for. The game was never ever, overly successful. But over 10 years later and the server is still online with people paying to play. Does that say anything?

There are alot of similarities here. Sandbox wise.  Of course, these are two completely different settings... but hey, I guess I just love the open sandbox style.. and not just that, it attracts a certain type of community that is a blast to be around.

Thats got to be what it is. =)

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by grunt187

How to do Sandbox http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros

Shouldn't you wait until,  y'know... you've played it?

• ElmorenElmoren Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 110

I love how everyone references Warhammer, like it's even a part of my title on here for any reason other then MMORPG.com's too lazy to upkeep their writers titles.  Especially since their writers haven't written for a site in over two years.

Warhammer's a POS.  As is this game.  It'll have its LOL'niche' crowd populate its one server for the two month free priod, then it'll get old and die due to bad mechanics and an inferior UI.  I'll be back when that happens to repost here and laugh.

Until then, enjoy that new car smell on the mmo of the week while you build your cities and swing wildly at each other and call it 'pvp'.  I got my $40 back.  You should too, but hey, my opinion is wrong apparently. {mod edit}

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Everything is turned off, and the server still runs as if it was on a 386 half the time..

It's really too bad, the game was mighty interesting.. But they are going the way of Earthrise so far, and that bad launch was nasty enough for me!

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Right, so the launch date is on the 15th...they have 3 days to figure out why so many game features make the game lag, even the fanbois are getting pissed at the unannounced 2nd wipe after they all placed their totems. 

These sort of problems take AAA games months to sort out. Ten guy dev. team with barely any experience except for a failed MMO title from one of the coders? Goooooood luck with that....

e.g. Age of Conan also sucked at launch, but it was created by a big and experienced team and after about a year and a half+expansion they managed to finally produce a game worth playing. 

So as much as I would love Xsyon to succeed because I'm a huge fan of sandbox crafting games and have played major titles for months and even years (Wurm Online, A Tale in the Desert, Haven and Hearth to name a few), I'm afraid so far all the signs are showing that the game will not be doing well once the free two months expire and once everyone realizes that it's not worth subbing for.

Unfortunately, there is a very big chance that the game will fail in two months after the launch and despite good ideas and an interesting world, it just won't have enough players interested in paying for it in the long term.

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

"I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that as gamers, we're getting what we deserve in the MMO genre. We've been far to willing over the years to accept and pay for games that in reality weren't half-way out of beta. It's time we stood up and told companies to try a little harder - set realisitc launch dates and meet your commitments with games that work - or find something else to fill your day"

-Gracefield

Thank you.. It is what i stand for,albeit in the wording of "let's start being critical,and not personal"..always nice to see there are more of the same mentality :)

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I love how everyone references Warhammer, like it's even a part of my title on here for any reason other then MMORPG.com's too lazy to upkeep their writers titles.  Especially since their writers haven't written for a site in over two years.

Warhammer's a POS.  As is this game.  It'll have its LOL'niche' crowd populate its one server for the two month free priod, then it'll get old and die due to bad mechanics and an inferior UI.  I'll be back when that happens to repost here and laugh.

Until then, enjoy that new car smell on the mmo of the week while you build your cities and swing wildly at each other and call it 'pvp'.  I got my $40 back.  You should too, but hey, my opinion is wrong apparently. {mod edit}

{mod edit}

The combat system & pvp is being revamped and improved. The game was NEVER advertised/toted as some combat & pvp focused paradise. Its a building & crafting game, get over it and learn to read.

You not being able to figure out how to do things for yourself does not = bad mechanics & UI. That just = you failing.

The 2 months free was not the original plan, and we have also gotten more time added due to delays. Regardless.. omg what, an company that is using something to "market" their product and bring in more business? How dare they! They should take a lesson from Blizzard, or Mythic, or SOE, or any other company with millions/billions of dollars and never do anything to market their game. Those idiots.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

The game is a POS at the moment. The final wipe has happened, all the features are off. Still despite the features being off the game is still unplayable. The servers have been on and off the majority of the last two days and when it has been up there has been massive lag spikes. Now I have faith it'll be fixed eventually but surely no one can argue that it wasn't launched early.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Hopefully future developers will learn from the recent spate of indie MMOs that shoot for the stars but don't even leave Earth's gravity well.

Hopefully they'll analyze games to see what works and what doesn't work when it comes to balance, and build a modest foundation that works and then build from there.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by mrcalhou

Hopefully future developers will learn from the recent spate of indie MMOs that shoot for the stars but don't even leave Earth's gravity well.

Hopefully they'll analyze games to see what works and what doesn't work when it comes to balance, and build a modest foundation that works and then build from there.

This has been going on since I started MMO gaming 12yrs ago, and apperantly they haven't learned yet. 

• InveritusInveritus Member UncommonPosts: 55

You can change your title. I know that and I've been here for all of a month.

What are these bad mechanics you speak of? Most of the things in this game work the way they're suppose to. Most of them work extremely well together. And as far as inferior UI goes... No? I have never had any trouble with it. Most people I know figure it out extremely quickly.

Until then, enjoy that new car smell on the mmo of the week while you build your cities and swing wildly at each other and call it 'pvp'.  I got my $40 back.  You should too, but hey, my opinion is wrong apparently.  {mod edt}

Yes. You are wrong. You've posted nothing to back anything you say up. You're entitled to your opinion, certainly, but you know what? It's stupid. As are you, sir.

Also, two months of a free period is a marketing strategy.

Or he knows that people aren't going to want to pay for the proto-game, so he gave them a grace period? If you've followed the development (which you have not, obviously), you would see that this is very likely the case.

{mod edit}

In my palm I hold the world, in my hand I grasp it.
    I loosened my fist but for an instant,
    and thus I failed to clasp it.

All I know is that I made a decision when I bought the game, and I am a grown-up so I live with my decision.  Luckily as I've been playing the game and know what is working and isn't working,  I'm happy with my decision.  There are many others who feel this way too.

Hey, some people will whine no matter what happens.  The fact of the matter is,  here we are,  plenty of players who have bought the game so they can have their "free test" of the features before the game goes live,  many of whom have been playing for at least a few weeks or more,  now decide that they want their money back.  Even though we knew what happened with the first launch attempt... even after we knew what state the game was going to be in and what combat was like.  

We knew all of that,  and honestly,  if you were any kind of intelligent consumer you would have researched it before buying it in the first place.  

The amount of whining I'm seeing here is deplorable.  When did gamers become so selfish, childish, and spiteful?  You would think after playing Warhammer the OP would have known to be more cautious with his purchases if he was just going to complain and get his money back after knowing full well within a very short amount of time what the game is and is not capable of.

Its like all the players on the official forums think the developers can just flip a switch and the game will be ready to launch,  or that the developers will roll over and do what they say because they put money on the line. They can only do what they can do,  and the players can either play the game based on that, or move on.

In my eyes as long as you enjoy your time in game, thats all that matters.  If you don't but you jumped the gun and spent money on it,  then really you only have yourself to blame.  I'm a big believe that you live with the decisions you make.  You won't always have the luxury of uncle credit card to fix your bad decisions.  Maybe in the end it will make the consumer smarter over all.   Then again, it doesn't seem thats always the case.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Ping is awesome now, totems placed (yup tears of those who wanted close to lake are bitter but there is plenty of room on the outskirts of map). Now activate features and we can start.

Earthrise? Miles apart.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• milwalmilwal Member UncommonPosts: 65

I have played the game.  I am not an ex employee.  I like having a job, not working for a company that can't produce respectible products,

haa, so u work for SOE right

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by maskedweasel

The amount of whining I'm seeing here is deplorable.  When did gamers become so selfish, childish, and spiteful?  You would think after playing Warhammer the OP would have known to be more cautious with his purchases if he was just going to complain and get his money back after knowing full well within a very short amount of time what the game is and is not capable of.

Sure some mmo gamers are a bit on the whiny side nowadays, but still, I understand why people are getting sick and tired of failed games releasing too early. Let's just look at the last years' major letdowns:

AoC - promised "next gen wowkiller", delivered a buggy themepark clone

WaR - promised "next gen wowkiller", delivered a buggy themepark clone

DFO - promised a "sandbox", delivered a buggy deathmatch arena

MO - promised a "sandbox", delivered a buggy deathmatch arena

ER - promised a "sandbox", delivered a buggy mess of a game

And now Xsyon - modest promises and kinda low-profile game, but still a victim of overhype (this time produced by the mmo community) and failure to meet expectations. I don't think all the people waiting for a real sandbox - or just something new - are going to latch on to yet another game just because it has "potential". We just want to play a fun, working game, not pay for beta testing and wait around forever through endless technical issues just because we have "hope" (those playing MO know what I'm talking about here).

• RobbHoodRobbHood Member Posts: 58

I spent my $40 bucks and the fun I have had up to date has already covered that.  It's less then a night at the movies.

The game needs work and is behind, but the concept is cool enough to keep me around.  I'll ride this one one out.  I've been through a few AAA title launches that were as bad.

They'll either fix or they won't.  The sun will rise tomorrow. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Wow, so many ideas, so little time.

- first, I wish I could bet money with all those ppl who predict games will fail within a couple of months.  While it happens, it is EXTREMELY rare.  I could rack up.

- As far as the game being ready to launch.  Probably not, but for me its good enough.  I had a grand time playing in beta and don't imagine I will stop.  Make up your own mind.

- If I quit after the 2nd free month, it was money well spent.  $40 for two months of gameplay.  Priceless.

- Does it compete with the big companies.  Probably not in terms of graphics, the all important UI (which some ppl are fixated on), or in terms of features.  But it does have that something that makes it addicting.

- As for the honesty and integrity of the company, the 'HA HA they are laughing all the way in the bank crowd' are ill informed.  Most everyone who has asked for their money back has gotten it.  If ppl think that a dev can afford to develop for years and then sell a game for a week and then bug out, while making a profit are obviously very young and don't know how the world works.,

- Should you buy.  My advice is pretty standard.  If you like smooth, virtually flawless launches, I would stick with the big boys.  It is rough and is driving us 'fanbois' nuts.  If you don't mind launch madness, I would hold off until the bugs are worked out.  The community is a pretty honest one and they will put the word out when things settle down.  Even now the 'fanbois' are honest for the most part and admit that its rough.

Hope to see you ingame,

I self identify as a monkey.

• andrew24pandrew24p Member Posts: 70

although final fantast xiv was a massive failure at launch i have to say more companies should be like SE in the part where they identified there was a huge problem and they stopped charging for the game. Sadly i am still paying a mortal online fee for just sitting back and getting barely any content. Whether xyson will be a huge failure at launch is more or less irellivent for me, i just want to see if they are willing to listen to the player base and fix problems efficiently and properly. I can wait for things to be added as long as the dont hit the backburner and never come out

Okay, let's all establish something here:

The only real problem with Xsyon right now is that it is having serving issues.

That's it.

There aren't very many bugs. There are no "broken" mechanics (that I've found, anyway). The learning curve is steep, but seriously, get over it. It's not because because of "bad UI" or "no tooltips." It's steep because it is completely different from pretty much every other MMO out there, and it takes time to get used to. The objectives are different, the goal is different, the vision is different, the controls are different.

So, server issues. Obviously, people are upset every time a game doesn't start off as smoothly as Aion or Rift, but those games, one, aren't really in a beta phase by the time they actually move to beta. They're basically game previews (especially in Aion's case). Two, though, those games are made by template; there are almost no innovative features. Just insert quests, insert shiny toys, and done.

Xsyon is the complete opposite. This game will never be "done." There will always be new features being added. It will always be in a beta stage. That is a pure, simple, immutable fact. So, it's good that Jordi is taking the time to fix the server issues before the game is actually underway. That's one less thing to worry about done the line, so by all means, Jordi, take all the time you need.

Also, just so it's clear here: The server is not "crashing." Jordi is purposefully taking it down to fix lag issues. You can whine about that all you want, but really, would you rather it be taken care of now or later?

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Inveritus

but seriously, get over it.

you really dont want to tell people to 'get over it" because next steps are the following:

-look how much has improved.

-now free to play.

-cash shop discounts.

-It's been an interesting jurney but now it must come to an end. I'll miss you all.

No. Not only does that not even make sense in terms of logical progression, but really it's just kind of dumb.

I stepped away from this thread for a bit an missed some stuff.

@Noobgren

I agree that there have been plenty of launches that didn't deliver,  but the point is,  these last minute refunds are the work of selfish children.  If you got in the game, played for a week, and realized the game wasn't for you,  you should have gotten a refund -- or better yet,  if you had any doubts in the first place that the game might have issues,  why would you buy it instead of wait until it launched or until more reviews were out?   Impatience is a major issue here,  everyone wants what they want,  and they want it yesterday.   

Hopefully people will wise up sooner or later.  When I commit to spending my money, I accept that things might not work out exactly as planned.  I don't buy cars thinking they'll never break down.  I don't buy MMOs thinking they won't have bugs,  and I don't buy an indie MMO where I could easily see that the game has some issues from looking on the forums,  and then get angry when I buy the game and find these problems out for myself first hand.   

@Inveritus

The game does have problems,  armor doesn't work nearly at all,  PvP is broken with some weapons doing 40% damage per hit.  Unarmed attacks at nearly 25% damage and can attack 3x faster.   Thats more of a balance issue,  but armor not working is one major issue.  

There are other bugs, either intened or not intended. Much of it has to do with player permissions on bags based on the area it is in. (setting permission to tribe or friends etc.)   And we have other miscellaneous issues.... the lag isn't the only problem in the least.  

Really though,  once everything is turned back on, it won't mean the game will be unplayable,  it just means certain aspects will not be working as intended.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I stepped away from this thread for a bit an missed some stuff.

@Inveritus

The game does have problems,  armor doesn't work nearly at all,  PvP is broken with some weapons doing 40% damage per hit.  Unarmed attacks at nearly 25% damage and can attack 3x faster.   Thats more of a balance issue,  but armor not working is one major issue.  

There are other bugs, either intened or not intended. Much of it has to do with player permissions on bags based on the area it is in. (setting permission to tribe or friends etc.)   And we have other miscellaneous issues.... the lag isn't the only problem in the least.  

Really though,  once everything is turned back on, it won't mean the game will be unplayable,  it just means certain aspects will not be working as intended.

Yes, but aside from the PvP issues, none of those things are really serious. They're just a small collection of random bugs that can be easily sorted out, once Jordi has time, and they're extremely insignificant (especially when you compare the bugs in this game with a couple other indie-developed, like Mortal, Darkfall, and Earthrise). They're so small that most people who come on here and complain haven't even noticed them; their only problem is either the lag or Elmorean's <insert generic "this is nothing like WoW" bitch>.

This discussion has been closed.