Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age 2: Big letdown

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by potapithikos

Bioware seem to think that Role Players want annoyingly frequent narrative, limited customization, recycled and linear enviroments, illusion of choice and have a permanent hard on for all their party members.

At least finally people are starting to realise ever since Kotor and if you want to be a bit more lenient Kotor2 (if you leave out the ending) Bioware's uber Storytelling is just a hoax really. Mass Effect's story might be passable but ME2 DAO+dlc DA2.... jesus... talk about generic, uninspired, cliche ridden borefests.

It's not like their old RPGs were not also cliche ridden....it's not like 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the game are not cliche ridden. It's all about presentation and engrossing story.... Engrossing =/= creative this is what most people haven't started to realise yet!

Borefests....jesus....not for me, not at all. They are all super fun and enjoyable to play.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by fivoroth

Bioware seem to think that Role Players want annoyingly frequent narrative, limited customization, recycled and linear enviroments, illusion of choice and have a permanent hard on for all their party members.

At least finally people are starting to realise ever since Kotor and if you want to be a bit more lenient Kotor2 (if you leave out the ending) Bioware's uber Storytelling is just a hoax really. Mass Effect's story might be passable but ME2 DAO+dlc DA2.... jesus... talk about generic, uninspired, cliche ridden borefests.

It's not like their old RPGs were not also cliche ridden....it's not like 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the game are not cliche ridden. It's all about presentation and engrossing story.... Engrossing =/= creative this is what most people haven't started to realise yet!

Borefests....jesus....not for me, not at all. They are all super fun and enjoyable to play.

The "all the other games are crap too" argument is silly and full of holes, don't go there honestly. I didn't say Bioware games are not as good as X,Y,V games. Just because the majority of videogames are crap doesn't mean mediocre games are super.

What you don't get is that a game can be engrossing without having an original plot. Their old RPGs might have not been original plot-wise, however the script, background, setting, progression coupled with the tried 'n tested mechanics of character customisation and party management and you had solid and engrossing ROLE PLAYING GAMES.

The Post KOTOR era.... meh.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

You know, there are people on their boards applauding all the decisions, calling inventory and the like "playing dress up with elves."

Those of us that like the more staple features of RPGs are being given the boot in favor for those that just want more action and the story simply told to them.

Wether you want to call those people role players or not, is up to you. I know that I've given this style an honest chance, but so far I'm not really liking it, and can't honestly see myself buying any other RPG done in this fashion outside of just finishing the Mass Effect series.

• EerazerEerazer Member Posts: 140

Alright buds, let me throw in my 2 cents. I have the game on 360.

I completed 20 hours over the past week. on the 360. ---  Today I receieved the game on PC

And running that shit in DX 11 at High spec is "ANOTHER WORLD" compared to shitty xbox.  trust me. its not just the visuals, its the combat system,. everything is different.

the PC ver to me? is a 9.5/10. the Xbox or console ver is only an 8/10.

and i beleve this to be correct.

<3

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Another two cents being thrown in:

As my PC was broke, and unfortunatley so was I, the PS3 was the platform I played the original game on. Playing Dragon Age 2 on the PC is a huge step-up in just the way it controls, the UI, graphics, need I go on? As for the game itself; for me it is another Bioware title, a great sprawling RPG with depth, great storytelling, and in all something to really sink your teeth into.

I do feel the hints of console to the game and it is undoubtedly 'simplified' and I don't know if this a nod to Mass Effect or simply because the market wasn't crying out for a spirtual succesor to Baldur's Gate like EA was hoping for. In all, it's unfair to call this game bad or a let down because it's still a damn good game and better than any RPG offering this side of The Witcher 2. 

My major gripe with the game itself is not so much the simplified choices etc, but the quests themselves. Sometimes it feels like you're thrown into a conversion at the mid-point and before you know it you have commited an act without really understanding what is going on. There are so many side-quests and little missions to do but I do feel the polish of BioWare has somewhat slipped in this area. Is this because of the sheer volume on offer? The fact that BIoWare are developed 3 titles concurrently? Maybe because the game had a relatively short development cycle? Who knows.

For the 10 hours that I have played it has satisfied the hunger I felt after the finished the first game and it's another entertaining effort from BioWare. Is it as good as the first? Probably not, that was refinement, improvement, and a nostalgic game - something pretty special that you can only feel once every half-decade or so. Also the Origin stories themselves are missed, but hey, 9/10 for me.

• Originally posted by artemisentr4

Originally posted by alderdale

My understanding is that they made it "simpler" more "Streamlined" you know to get you closer to the action sooner without all those annoying things that add "depth".

You mean like a themepark with a fast pass to skip the lines? I have no problem with not having to run for hours to get to the action in a action RPG. The amount of cutscenes and dialogue make up for the lack of wasted time running around IMO.

As for TOR, it will be a different experience all toghether. Except for the dialogue and cutscenes ofc.

No....I thin he means a them park where you go and leave without riding any of the rides.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I heard several complains from players that played DA2 that its more console like oriented than the old time style pc rpg's is that true?

I also heard that they made the combat plain dull so tactical factor=zero and just need to spam attacks as fst as possible..is that true also?

Also can u freely adventure in forests or mountains without doing quests? aka morrowind or oblivion?

Also is that truw that u can't equip armous and stuff your party companions?

Also can a party member DIE during combat or they made it so party mates just feint and after battle they get up like they screwed up nwn2? (in baldur's gate series party members could die adding laods to immersion and thrill into battles for obvious reasons).

If they above things i mention are true we are dealing here with another rpg made for 8-14 years old ,or palyers that learned what role playing games is throguh playstation ,and i wont bother to even try it.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I'm pretty disappointed. The game is extremely linear and holds no challenge. Quest are clearly labled, and arrows even tell you where to go. I don't just mean they tell you where a quest giver is, an arrow actually points to where the boss/item that you need is.

In addition, I've actually watched the movie clips more than I've played.

For 54.99, plus the inevitable "cash shop" addons this is unacceptable. BioWare has clearly sold out.

This game has 1/10th the depth of DA.

This product has caused me to stop buying BioWare games based off faith alone.

The game would be OK as an expansion to DA for 19.99, but for a stand-alone game that runs over 50 dollars its a big rip-off.

I now know exactly where SWTOR is headed; EZMODE.

• erebus890erebus890 Member Posts: 46

It's been confirmed already, from the music composer that EA wanted to rush BioWare to make DA2.

Here's the quote:

"Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job", he tells IGN. "EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now."

http://ca.kotaku.com/5780870/ever-wonder-why-dragon-age-ii-came-out-so-soon

That said, I believe DA2 is really fun game, it's no where near as large as what DA:O was, but I'm enjoying the game nonetheless. The story and characters are really good, like what you would expect from a typical BioWare release, the game play feels a lot better, IMO, but one of the major flaws of the game would have to be the recycled content. When playing DA2, expect to see a lot of the same dungeons and areas. It'll get repetitive.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by tazarconan

I heard several complains from players that played DA2 that its more console like oriented than the old time style pc rpg's is that true? I didn't get this feeling.

I also heard that they made the combat plain dull so tactical factor=zero and just need to spam attacks as fst as possible..is that true also? Combat is so simple my cat could do it. I've never even come close to dying.

Also can u freely adventure in forests or mountains without doing quests? aka morrowind or oblivion? No. There are no free roaming areas. Its all paths that you can't stray from. Some of the areas are tiny.

Also is that truw that u can't equip armous and stuff your party companions? The game even says your party members will equip themselves, but I found this is not the case. I equip them with gear. Not sure why there is a discrepancy.

Also can a party member DIE during combat or they made it so party mates just feint and after battle they get up like they screwed up nwn2? (in baldur's gate series party members could die adding laods to immersion and thrill into battles for obvious reasons). No idea. You'd have to be braindead to die in this game.

If they above things i mention are true we are dealing here with another rpg made for 8-14 years old ,or palyers that learned what role playing games is throguh playstation ,and i wont bother to even try it. You're insulting 8-14 year olds. I started playing Gold Box SSI when I was 8. Pool of Radiance, and the rest of the series. Its not the kids fault.They can only play what is out there.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by cinos

The last post is from a Bioware mod quoting T&Cs, basically saying 'get used to it', then closing the thread. So I'd imagine it is true.

Also: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6465725/1

This monster thread is currently dominating the forums over there. Even got some posts from Bioware (mods or employees, can't be sure). So yeah, it's most definitely true.

Sad, but not surprising considering it's EA pulling the strings.

Oh jeez, that's really bad. Guess Bioware will be on the boycott list now. I never thought I'd see this day...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by shantideva

To anyone who liked NWN and feels that DA2 is bit too kindergarden,

Drakensang: The river of time.

Good story, solid mechanics, decent looks, fun and challenging.

np.

I looked at that game on amazon but didn't buy it. I couldn't get information if it would run on a gaming laptop which is what I'm constrained to at the moment. Do you think it can? If so I will pick it up.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by erikk3189

Some will like it like me

Some won't like you

Others likely won't care one way or the other. 

lol. no shit sherlock.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Golelorn

I heard several complains from players that played DA2 that its more console like oriented than the old time style pc rpg's is that true? I didn't get this feeling.

I also heard that they made the combat plain dull so tactical factor=zero and just need to spam attacks as fst as possible..is that true also? Combat is so simple my cat could do it. I've never even come close to dying.

Also can u freely adventure in forests or mountains without doing quests? aka morrowind or oblivion? No. There are no free roaming areas. Its all paths that you can't stray from. Some of the areas are tiny.

Also is that truw that u can't equip armous and stuff your party companions? The game even says your party members will equip themselves, but I found this is not the case. I equip them with gear. Not sure why there is a discrepancy.

Also can a party member DIE during combat or they made it so party mates just feint and after battle they get up like they screwed up nwn2? (in baldur's gate series party members could die adding laods to immersion and thrill into battles for obvious reasons). No idea. You'd have to be braindead to die in this game.

If they above things i mention are true we are dealing here with another rpg made for 8-14 years old ,or palyers that learned what role playing games is throguh playstation ,and i wont bother to even try it. You're insulting 8-14 year olds. I started playing Gold Box SSI when I was 8. Pool of Radiance, and the rest of the series. Its not the kids fault.They can only play what is out there.

Thanks for clearing up those things. The last paragraph was not about insulting kids or players that do enjoy this type of gameplay. It's mostly a protest against the developers,that keep producing rpg's with this style of gameplay. Its not about sale numbers,back in 90's till 2002 ,where still rpg's were made ,in the old fashion way GAC (gameplay,addiction,challenge) they got good sales numbers ..so i just dont get it why they make this turn towards korean action like pew pew fests. Only logical explanation i can assume,is that including bioware programmers are new,guys with no clue or taste of older rpg's like baldur's gate,wizardry 8,might and magic series,and make only thing they know,korean rpg style games.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I think it's a little unfair to say the combat is too easy. I found it as tactical if not more 'refined' than the previous game. Push it up to hard and the battles with multiple waves become a re-load job easily. The fainting system has been around since SWKoToR so its nothing new. 

Also someone mentioned Neverwinter Nights 2 - if anyone wants a more Baldur's Gate experience, Obsidian did an amazing job with that game, vastly underrated.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

lol you were warned about the dogpie that DA2 has become , its a shame that folks need actually spend there money and step into it to realize it stinks............

But as always the bleating sheep rush out to purchase the next big banner they saw blinking on the internetz, and now you have been Bio-lated ..........

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

so i just dont get it why they make this turn towards korean action like pew pew fests. Only logical explanation i can assume,is that including bioware programmers are new,guys with no clue or taste of older rpg's like baldur's gate,wizardry 8,might and magic series,and make only thing they know,korean rpg style games.

I'm guessing that it's more the case of a very short development cycle of 1.5 years and a larger focus on console-friendly style of games and audience, console sales being far larger than PC sales in multi-platform games.

'Korean RPG style games'? I only know of Korean MMORPG's and Japanese style RPG's, do you have examples of Korean style singleplayer RPG's?

Originally posted by Golelorn

Did you play it on Nightmare setting?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

@tazar

I have never ever played a Korean RPG so I am not really sure what you are talking about. If you mean that the game is more action oriented, that's true. But it's stupid to call something Korean just because it's an action RPG lol. And implying that people in the 8-14 age range prefer more easy, simpler games is also kinda stupid.

Originally posted by Scorchien

lol you were warned about the dogpie that DA2 has become , its a shame that folks need actually spend there money and step into it to realize it stinks............

But as always the bleating sheep rush out to purchase the next big banner they saw blinking on the internetz, and now you have been Bio-lated ..........

Sure there are a lot of negative comments about the game but there are a lot of positive ones as well. So if I am a fan of DAO I will not give a flying you know what about your opinion or anyone else's opinion especially on some random forums. I will try the demo and if I like it get the game.

I would listen to friend's opinion because I know the person and I can see if he likes similar things to me etc etc.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by MurlockDance

The last post is from a Bioware mod quoting T&Cs, basically saying 'get used to it', then closing the thread. So I'd imagine it is true.

This monster thread is currently dominating the forums over there. Even got some posts from Bioware (mods or employees, can't be sure). So yeah, it's most definitely true.

Oh jeez, that's really bad. Guess Bioware will be on the boycott list now. I never thought I'd see this day...

It's not Bioware you should be boycotting, but EA.

Haven't you learned anything from the days of Bullfrog and Westwood?

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Scorchien

I've got it and so far its a great game. Not sure what the fuss is.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Thekandy

as BIoware is owned by EA, it really makes no difference, the fact that they had previously stated that Securom wouldnt be in DA:2 and it turns out they lied.. is of great concern, especially considering all the problems that Securom causes on computer systems, all i can say is thank god i didnt buy it.. i'd have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything.. which is a pain to do.. way to go EA..   Bioware used to be a reputable company..  if this is just a sign of the way things are going.. then SW:TOR will sink before it even launches, even worse than FF did..  because if theres one thing thats certain..if they include securom in SW:TOR then it will not sell.. period..  image

Originally posted by Thekandy

The poster was in violation of the rules he had accepted. Therefore, he had already agreed to the fact that his access may be affected when he actually broke the rules. I don't see why is this Bioware's fault in any way? Going to vent on a game's forums and insulting the company should result in a ban. And he got only a temporary 72 hours one not a permanent one so he has now been warned to keep his temper or stay away from the forums. It is this simple.

Sharing your opinions is perfectly fine but direct insults are not going to get you anywhere and ultimately it was the poster's fault he got a ban.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I'm going to post what I posted elsewhere in another thread. I found this in a Bioware forumthread about this case (source here) from Bioware rep Fernando Melo:

Ostagar2011 wrote...

But was this a one-off fix because of the PR disaster it was becoming, or a system fix? To my mind, this is only 'fixed' when they say that preventing someone from playing a lawfully purchased product on the basis of a forum opinion, can now never happen again. (EULA change, new guidelines to mods, separate forum bans from licence bans in the software). I'm not interested in a one-time 'we made an exception with this dude because even google was auto-completing searches for this case' (but the rest of you who don't like DA2 - be warned, we can still do this to you).

I agree, and I'll cover what I can below.

For some of the other posters - believe what you will.

This was a genuine mistake made by an individual.  And clearly there was a failing in the system that actually allowed them to escalate this directly to a full lockdown of the account contrary to how it should flow. 

This was never an issue that warranted an account level ban (which, I have to call out is incredibly rare in any case), but normally this would never go beyond a temp ban of the forums with zero impact to games.  Trying to portray this as a purposeful or vengeful act 'just because' is immature, not to mention inconsistent with how we actually operate if you care to observe. 

As I mentioned before this is a serious issue that we need to fix - as in properly fix, as you suggest.  It is not acceptable that something like this happens accidentally, even once.

The purpose of this system is not to feed our egos and dangle axes over player's heads in some sort of power trip  - it is there specifically to protect players.  To maintain some structure and order to our communities so they don't degenerate into what many other forums look like, and allow you to have a place where you can have a reasonable discussion, or ask a game related question without a some kind of explicit picture being thrust in your face, and yes - in very extreme cases to distance persistent, deliberately malicious individuals from other players IF necessary as a last resort (or at least until they realize it, cool off and get their act together).

Still, that person is supposed to be able to continue to play offline.  The goal is to close off the online features where this extreme measure is needed (again, this should be extremely rare).  But what we realized with this incident is that while you can completely keep playing offline with an existing game, you can't register a new game since when you login to register the account comes back as invalid.  This is new for us, and not intended.

Anyways, long story short (as its late here) - before we rush in with our torches and pitchforks, we need to properly figure out what happened.  That will take some time to sort out.

In the meantime, what I've already heard is that the EADM team is going to start working on a fix for game clients to ensure that players will at least be able to register and play offline, even in these rare extreme scenarios.  That won't be an overnight fix, but it's a start. 

Again, believe what you will.

F.

So while I think this shouldn't have happened in the first place, from what I read it looks like it was an isolated incident and human error and not general policy, and that you always should be able to play the BW games you bought even if you're banned. As he also said, everyone should believe what he/she wants to believe.

But for me, if this'll be the only reported case of a situation like this happening and bans in future won't result in people not being able to play their games anymore, then I think the situation was exactly as this BW guy stated.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."