Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play - until lvl 125

NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

This was posted on the Ryzom forums today. What do you think, will this lead to (at least a small) increase in population? 

On Wednesday, March 9 between 09:00 and 11:00 GMT, the servers will be brought down for the implementation of patch 1.11.0.

This patch brings the following:

New Free Trial System

We are pleased to announce that from now on, players that create a new account can play Ryzom without time or place limits. Instead, free trial accounts are now limited to a maximum level of 125 in all different skills, enabling everyone to sample all aspects of Ryzom and to discover what makes this MMO unique. When you reach level 125 in a skill you can still continue playing, but you will gain no more experience points. The second limitation is storage: you cannot own any mektoub packers, use the inventory of your apartment or take any items from a guild hall.

Despite the freedom of this new system, we would like to remind you that Ryzom can only live on through your paid subscriptions. Thank you for the confidence you have in us.

New Zoraï enemy to fight: "Pei-Ruz the Rotten"

The Marauders' thirst for vengeance continues to grow. After Dante the Teaser, a new enemy makes his appearance. Although his camp has not yet been discovered, it is rumored that Pei-Ruz the Rotten wants you to experience the most terrible suffering. Homins should expect a fight.

If you want a sneak preview of this new marauder, log in on Wednesday, 9 March at 00:00 GMT. More info...

New Roleplay Event Sequence "Tears of the Emperor"

Dexton, Emperor of the Burning Desert, is gravely ill and the Fyros are working with the Zoraïs to save him. Will they succeed to restore him to health and to restore him to power in the Desert? Dare the Matis take advantage of this temporary weakening of their old enemy? And how will the people of the late Governor Still Wyler enter into the balance?

These are just some questions that you will be faced with in the coming weeks. This sequence will provide large-scale interactions between the homin peoples of Atys. More than ever, your actions have an impact on the future of the bark.

But beware, any victory is deserved! To save the camp you choose, you must do better than others, but also do it faster! Because it is a race against time that just started... A race where the stakes will shape the face of the Atys of tomorrow...

An event in this sequence will be held on 14 March at 00:00 GMT.

Miscellaneous

Other changes:

- The visual quality of characters has been improved.

- Mektoub mounts can now store 3 times as much.

- Other small changes you will discover by yourself.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If someone plays an MMO for free up to Level 125, it seems more than reasoanble to ask them to pony up a few bucks to keep playing more.

Riotgirl

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69

Its really poorly worded; they'll have an influx of people expecting a full F2P game. Furthermore a trial is always free, kinda nullifies parts of that post they made too sadly.

Should've been made F2P a long time ago, with small micro transactions on content that is actually in game/accessible even now (to the devs that is)

Hanging on to a sub that is overpriced for the game as it stands just won't last; they are obviously heading for their last legs, "again". Which is a shame, again ...

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias

• AnonymousMeAnonymousMe Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Tylantia

Its really poorly worded; they'll have an influx of people expecting a full F2P game. Furthermore a trial is always free, kinda nullifies parts of that post they made too sadly.

Should've been made F2P a long time ago, with small micro transactions on content that is actually in game/accessible even now (to the devs that is)

Hanging on to a sub that is overpriced for the game as it stands just won't last; they are obviously heading for their last legs, "again". Which is a shame, again ...

After reading their forums, they've been on their last legs for awhile now. Noone is playing.

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Ya, it makes me really sad actually. I LOVE the atmosphere that this game has. I just love it. I won't play in a server where there's no one else to play with though.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by LordMagnus

Ya, it makes me really sad actually. I LOVE the atmosphere that this game has. I just love it. I won't play in a server where there's no one else to play with though.

Well, IMO this idear is genius.

I will deffo be coming back, and there will likely be a lot of others populating the lower level areas for quites some time. People tend to max out everything they can when a set-up like this is employed, so it will be active there for quite some time.

*thumbs up*

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by LordMagnus

It is a shame Mag, I do agree. Was my first true MMO (I don't count EQ as I didn't hang around long on that tbh).

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

It is a shame Mag, I do agree. Was my first true MMO (I don't count EQ as I didn't hang around long on that tbh).

Aye, my first too.  Well, I suppose my technical first was the 2 weeks of the WoW stress testing back in August 2004.  I went on a search for MMOs at that time and found Ryzom.  Missed the Open Beta by something like 2 days.  Bought it when it hit Gamestop in late '04.

Ryzom will forever hold a special place in my gaming heart.  I think this new (mostly) unlimited free-trial is a good thing but I think it's likely too late to save/revive this game - at least to a point of real profitability.  I don't see myself ever investing in a monthly fee to play this game again.

Now then, if I had mad monies I'd gladly throw a bunch at the Devs to drop wtfever they are working on - re-build Ryzom's graphics from the ground up with one of the new Engines - and then re-release it.  That would be sweet imo but I'm an eye-candy type person and the current graphics are a bit dated.  That is the only thing I would even consider changing about Ryzom - well that and population but I'm of the opinion that if it were prettier (less dated!  It's still damn purtee!) more folks would try it and stay.

All that being said - I just created a free-trial account and I'm currently downloading it again...  Hey, I've plenty of extra hard-drive space so why not?

Cheers!

oh yeah - Comitatus Praetorian for life!

• jwentingjwenting Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by AnonymousMe

After reading their forums, they've been on their last legs for awhile now. Noone is playing.

yes and no. They left a major botter problem go unresolved for too long on one server, causing the community there to loose heart and in part give up.

The other servers AFAIK are doing better, and it does seem the population on the English server might recover given a bit of time now that the botters are gone and have got bored of spewing their lies and deception about what's happening to Ryzom on forums like this.

• NazakNazak Member Posts: 17

The community is the major problem on such a small populated server. You have a group or whiners who've been playing for years, that have ascended to gm powers and used there weight to change rules and interpretations so there group/faction benefits ;o.

You'll find as a new player people will dive at you in terms or helping you out. Then if you have a different view or playstyle then them they will do everything possible to make you have a hard time. This old core driving force has been causing drama on the USA server for years, people get overloaded with the drama and stop playing.

As for the game itself, the enviroment, leveling, freedom are amazing. Truely a do what you want, whenever you want type game. But the game suffers from a real lack of endgame content when compared to even most Fully free MMO's out today.  Yes there is technically no endgame, but most players wont want to spend years grinding all skills to max.  They want something high end that evolves and develops. Unfortunately with lack of funding this may be impossible to achieve. The current endgame invovles either bosses, which are either easily farmed by strong groups giving weaker groups no chance, or impossible for the weaker groups to even defeat. Or Pvp battles over outposts. Though many of the older players believe they have claim over these do to playing for years, and excessive drama is what comes out of outpost battles, more then straight fun or pvp.

The game also suffers from tons of trolls, such as jwenting. Who is entirely against multiboxing software, which they just recently banned after previously allowing. In essence stealing money from multiboxers. Which this game was previously very friendly too. Despite the fact that nearly every major game allows use of such software.

All downsides aside, i played the game for years, struggled through it going from company to company. Dieing and rebirth. Still one of my favorite games. Though i believe it's really on it's last leg now. As for them to type the comment "Your subs keep us alive" (paraphrased) in the patch notes. I see this as more of a desperate plea to struggle staying alive.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

The problem is WoW again why this game fails to survive it had a free trial i think in 2009 and alot WoW players took the bite and try and i saw immediately that would not last long new influx. Many back then shouted in generalchat in caps, this game sucks becouse could not jump like in wow or they could not find npcs becouse of no ! above head and so on thats the sad thing ryzom is nice game but tomany these days want a wow like game.

Hope this free trial helps but i think its last straw hoping to survive.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Looks like ill have to stop in on Ryzom in the near future and create a new trial.

Great game, kinda outdated but still fun in small doses.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by Z3R01

Looks like ill have to stop in on Ryzom in the near future and create a new trial.

Great game, kinda outdated but still fun in small doses.

Welcome back :)

Moonlightmist

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

WoW-players not liking Ryzom is almost some kind of trademark in my book. What they probably didn't mention and maybe even never recognized is the vibrant environment on this planet. Something you probably feel best when playing solo, though this isn't the recommended way to play Ryzom. Playing this beast solo is very harsh and tough (to me this means FUN) but after playing Ryzom for only a couple of weeks it's hard to even try another game with static, pointless mobs where one point is crystal clear: You are the hunter, you are the winner. In Ryzom you are the hunter as well, but in the very next moment you suddenly are the prey and have to run for your life (again: when playing solo, for most players grouping would be the way to go).

Back to the topic, yes F2P was what pulled me in. And then I subscribed much sooner than needed, cause I was sure this is the game I was looking for.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

A casual gamer can play for many months before approaching level 125 in any skill.  Combine that with the total lack of cash shop and I think it's fair to say that Ryzom is cheaper than "free to play" games for the amount of time most people stick with their "ftp" games.

I have noticed a small but significant increase in population, at least in the Zorai lands on the North American server.  I've played Ryzom off and on since launch and I'm enjoying it now more than ever.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

so the FTP applies ONLY to new accounts? What about older accounts, that have subscribed BUT none of their toons have skills above the 125 lvl cap?

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

In case anyone wanted to know, leveling a skill to lvl125 in Ryzom takes, QUITE a while.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by pupurun

so the FTP applies ONLY to new accounts? What about older accounts, that have subscribed BUT none of their toons have skills above the 125 lvl cap?

Older accounts must still pay sub fees, even if you have no skills over 125.  At least that is what happens by default. They never stopped billing my card when the new policy was implemented and my highest skill was 120.  I don't mind.  My enjoyment has always come from exploring and immersion, not grinding through levels.  I think I'm getting more than my money's worth.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

{author deleted}

Decided against returning.

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• fatenabu1fatenabu1 Member Posts: 381

So is this F2P stil. I played it a while back but had computer error got a new gaming laptop interseted in playing again. Hope someone can verify the free part to me.

• lusikaslusikas Member UncommonPosts: 30

its stil free

• NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

Yep it is! Enjoy :-)

• DainanDainan Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by AnonymousMe

And two years later... still standin'. ;-)

• talkIRCtalkIRC Member Posts: 4
    yep, still going in 2014 too, and still has f2p for life if you like.
  • DrukstylzDrukstylz Member Posts: 189

this is impressive, 125 is like 25 levels more than 100. Its free so this is like 125% more fun if my algerbro is right. 

why is this a bad thing? the further you are in a relationship the more you can get away with asking for.

its like these drug dealers who give you the first taste free. except in this case, they turn you into fullblownjunkie before asking you to commit cashmurder. 

seems like a smart plan to expand the player base at the same time committing people to cash payments.