Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Informing the MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During a recent visit to Big Huge Studios in Baltimore, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to find out more about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the RPG predecessor to the "Copernicus" MMO in development at 38Studios. See what Jon found out about how Reckoning will influence the MMO in his comprehensive report. Leave us a comment or two when finished!

At the beginning of the project, R.A. Salvatore created a history for the world, detailing the events of the land’s evolution over a 10,000 year period. The hope is that having a firm history to start from will give the game a greater scope and continuity, leading to a more intense player attachment not only with the individual game that they are playing at any given time, but with the world as a whole. These guys don’t want their world to be a disposable experience.

Read more of Jon Wood's Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Informing the MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

I have been following this and i will pick up the single player RPG 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well if the company can make games as well as Curt Schilling pitched then it is a no brainer it will be full of win.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Yes, please, and thanks for not making me press the spacebar to pause in the middle of combat

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

I want !!!

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

Ive grown reading R.A. Salvatore's books, enjoying Todd McFarlane's artwork and seeing Curt Schilling throwing fireballs on screen. I could tell they were all passionate about what they were doing and I know they will bring it in this project.

This is something this industry that has been taken over by marketers and cold buisnesman desesperatly need. Feels like the repressed artist who made games in the 90s could find a niche at Big Huge Studios lol.

Looking forward to the next adventure these guys will bring to us.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by Tymora

Yes, please, and thanks for not making me press the spacebar to pause in the middle of combat

Oh I so agree. I have DA 2 already preloaded for tomorrow but I'm so worried that I'll be disappointed by it compared to Origins. Now that Bioware has seemingly rather sold out to the "action RPG" market, someone has to step in and take up the slack and bring a full-featured single player RPG to the table that has a STORY.

The demo for DA 2 had me scratching my head and wondering where the exploration and -thinking- went in the game. *sighs*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

R.A. Salvatore and Curt Shilling are aces. I have never cared for Todd McFarlanes artwork (only some of his character designs) ....so it's good to me that he is not heavily involved in the actual artwork other than insight and input. Plus...he always struck me as an arrogant douche. I could be wrong. Looking forward to the game overall.

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

Thank you for this article Jon,i admit i was clueless about both this studio and the work in progress..just watched the trailer,sure seems promising :)

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Originally posted by SBFord

The demo for DA 2 had me scratching my head and wondering where the exploration and -thinking- went in the game. *sighs*

Ummm, exploration and thinking in Dragon Age? Overworld travel consists of clicking on a location and your character autmoatically travelling there and getting into one instanced fight in between.

When you get to that location travel consists of following clear-cut paths that you cannot stray off of. There is nothing to think about except for which buttons to press in battle. And very little exploration to be had.

Anyways, I'm excited for this game as well. It's an all-star team full of fire and passion. It'll be good to see Salvatore behind something gaming related that isnt regulated by Wizards of the Coast.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Great people and talent developing these games and definitely worth keeping an eye on...

...Although just one thing, over sized weapons, hate 'em!  Not game breaking, but sure puts a damper on immersion, imo.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You forgot to Mention Ken Rolston (The Lead designer from Oblivion and Morrowind) it truly is an epic team. 

Lead designer of Morrowind and Oblivion

Creator of Spawn 

Best selling Fantasy Author 

I'm anxious!

Though I am likely setting my self up to be dissapointed though, this many big names and this much talent on board and expectations become pretty high, sadly probably to high. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Is this an open world RPG?

• SaboterrSaboterr Member Posts: 36

Oh I so agree. I have DA 2 already preloaded for tomorrow but I'm so worried that I'll be disappointed by it compared to Origins. Now that Bioware has seemingly rather sold out to the "action RPG" market, someone has to step in and take up the slack and bring a full-featured single player RPG to the table that has a STORY.

My heart feels the same way :(

Just looking around... Hoping GW2's community won't suck :)

• Zook81Zook81 Member Posts: 96

Been watching this closely as well. I am pretty excited and anxious about this title and the MMORPG tied to it. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Thank you for the info on this game.

I've been anxiously awaiting this game and the MMO - looks like it might be a good pair.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

"Oh I so agree. I have DA 2 already preloaded for tomorrow but I'm so worried that I'll be disappointed by it compared to Origins. Now that Bioware has seemingly rather sold out to the "action RPG" market, someone has to step in and take up the slack and bring a full-featured single player RPG to the table that has a STORY.

The demo for DA 2 had me scratching my head and wondering where the exploration and -thinking- went in the game. *sighs*"

I hear you 100% on this, the sellout to the more actiony rpg and the heavier inclusion of DLC hooks directly integrated into the games making you feel like you are missing out on something directly in game if you dont buy it are two very disappointing trends from what was once my favorite developer (followed them since they first announced they had the D&D license via interplay and were makin BG).

• eidos1313eidos1313 Member Posts: 3

I think bringing out a single player RPG to introduce a new IP MMORPG is a smart move. I'm glad that there was reporting on it here.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I've been hyped over this RPG and the MMO for a while.. R.A Salvatore would be the main reason haha.. Looks like this game is gonna actually have some lore to it :)

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

The head programmer was in charge of making morrorind+oblivion ...Along with R.A.Salvatore the game can only be a success. I expect nothing less than a good old time rpg that we miss so much if not better..at least equal to oblivion...

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I havn't really been paying any attention to the MMO, my interest is in the SP game.

It gets my vote for most under-rated RPG of 2012 lol. Yes that's right, release isn't until dec.30, 2012 (erm.. closer to 2013 omfg! TOO FAR AWAY!!!)

G4 recently put out a preview of the SP, check it out:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710867/Your-First-Look-at-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning.html

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Wrong very wrong you should wait and see if DA2 is sold out to action rpg genre instead leave to other developer and hope they continuing with rpg you most like.

Thats the whole attitude of most gamers keep following blindly there beloved rpg maker but don't dare say no when game is not what they wanne play.

If you still buy DA2 you dont accomplish nothing, if you on other hand keep your wallet closed and many others also then bioware come to there senses and make RPG'S that we rpg lovers realy want.

So its up to you and so many others show some backbone and dare say NO BIOWARE no more crap action console games give us a real BG2 follow up:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Ken rolston should have been mentioned here in this article the lead designer of OBLIVION he is one who prolly have most influence on KoA:R instead of schilling or mcfarlane.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by eidos1313

I think bringing out a single player RPG to introduce a new IP MMORPG is a smart move. I'm glad that there was reporting on it here.

Honestly I think it's going to be a bigger campaign than that before the MMO launches lol. 

Single Player RPG

Novels

Possible toy line or Comics

They have the guys to do it. They  have the means to pull off a bigger marketing/advertising campaign than Blizzard. The fanbase for the MMO will already be well developed and waiting with open arms if they do this right. 

Hell if they could get together and get a table top going to boot they would be hitting this from all fronts lol. 

Who knows though, I know if I were going to head a studio these are the guys I would pick and a large part of that is because of what I stated above, the second half of that is because of the fame their names bring along with the talent and experience they bring to the table. 

Originally posted by just2duh

I havn't really been paying any attention to the MMO, my interest is in the SP game.

It gets my vote for most under-rated RPG of 2012 lol. Yes that's right, release isn't until dec.30, 2012 (erm.. closer to 2013 omfg! TOO FAR AWAY!!!)

G4 recently put out a preview of the SP, check it out:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/710867/Your-First-Look-at-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning.html

Actually Reckoning is supposed to launch Q3 of 2011. 

Not only is this the date plastered all over every gaming site but it's also on the Reckoning site itself. 

So it's closer than you think!