Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide between EQ2 and Rift

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I started playing Rift and I find its a polished game with a lot going for it but I'm just not entertained leveling up. The quests are slow/boring and the areas don't seem very exciting. The dialogue seems a little stale as well but I do like the graphics/class system not to mention its a lot more populated now than your standard EQ2 server.

What I really like about EQ2 is all the named monsters and achievement points were always something fun to aim for. A massive variety in areas and I thought the dialogue/lore was exciting and well thought out. these things heavily draw me torwards that game. The downside is it doesn't feel as fluid and smooth as Rift and the rift events seem pretty neat. But Rifts artstyle seems copy/pasted from Warhammer and that kinda upset me a little.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by Exavus

I started playing Rift and I find its a polished game with a lot going for it but I'm just not entertained leveling up. The quests are slow/boring and the areas don't seem very exciting. The dialogue seems a little stale as well but I do like the graphics/class system not to mention its a lot more populated now than your standard EQ2 server.

What I really like about EQ2 is all the named monsters and achievement points were always something fun to aim for. A massive variety in areas and I thought the dialogue/lore was exciting and well thought out. these things heavily draw me torwards that game. The downside is it doesn't feel as fluid and smooth as Rift and the rift events seem pretty neat. But Rifts artstyle seems copy/pasted from Warhammer and that kinda upset me a little.

Welll of course with Eq2 you have tons and tons of content as it been out for 6+ years so yes RIft is going to lack alot in alot of areas due to that.Me personally I found entertainment in them both but I got disinterested in EQ2 after Echoes..It is still a great game but for me atm I am having fun with Rift;

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Well Rift also has achievments, with achievment points. The servers are also a lot more populated currently, and I always felt that EQ2's quests were bland. I am having a ton of fun with rift currently, but you sound like you already had your mind set that you liked EQ2 more.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Not a fan of EQ2's graphics, but I would play EQ2. Rift is very polished and stable, but EQ2 has much more to offer.

I personally love the combat in EQ2. And if you think about it, EQ2 has far greater potential for creating a unique character.

- 19 races and 20 classes.

- Each class with multiple progression paths.

- Deities to further customize your character.

- Multiple starting zones per faction.

- Betray your faction to turn your "good" character to "bad," or vice versa.

- Lots of crafting and gathering.

- Player and guild housing.

Comparatively, EQ2 offers a virtual fantasy world to live and grow in, while Rift is pretty much just a virtual fantasy themepark.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

imho i wouldnt waste time on neither one ..wait till something good comes out..unless you like "these type of mmo's" like wow / eq2 / rift ..if your finding it hard too choose i really dont see how it could be..almost like fliping a coin that has heads on both sides...altho eq2 seems like theres alot more to do / content ..but soo much is skiped because of the dumbing down standers to compete with wow wich has killed this game so hard.. and rift being so similar to wow..well i wont go on about rift but you get my point i guess ...so if i were you id wait..if you REALLY want to choose one..put a blindfold on and just pick..you cant go wrong it has the same rides as the other parks..just new paint / bells and whistles ..gl! and hope you have fun!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

To me it sounds like you would prefer EQ2, at least now. Go for it and start with Rift later, when you get tired of EQ2 Rift will hopefully have added a lot of content  and maybe an expansion or 2.

Both are good games.

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by odinsrath

imho i wouldnt waste time on neither one ..wait till something good comes out..unless you like "these type of mmo's" like wow / eq2 / rift ..if your finding it hard too choose i really dont see how it could be..almost like fliping a coin that has heads on both sides...altho eq2 seems like theres alot more to do / content ..but soo much is skiped because of the dumbing down standers to compete with wow wich has killed this game so hard.. and rift being so similar to wow..well i wont go on about rift but you get my point i guess ...so if i were you id wait..if you REALLY want to choose one..put a blindfold on and just pick..you cant go wrong it has the same rides as the other parks..just new paint / bells and whistles ..gl! and hope you have fun!

Translation:  People say I'm the life of the party.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Everquest 2. Has many things Rift needs before I even think of subbing, like housing/appearance slots/more hands on crafting. I know this will come with time, so play EQ2 for now and check back in with Rift down the line, unless your wanting to experience an MMO from launch and see how it grows.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Let's see, our choices are a 7 year old game that still runs terrible on even the best computers of 2011 if you want it to look good at all, using optoins like... shadows, with a player base that is all max level already. You are looking at a good 2-3 month incredibly boring solo grind to catch up to the player base. That is, of course, unless you choose the F2P model, which will make you spend more than you want, to do basic things like use a decent version of a spell or use the auction house.

Or you could play the most polished MMORPG ever launched with tons of people and actually have fun.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by ghettobooste
    Let's see, our choices are a 7 year old game that still runs terrible on even the best computers of 2011 if you want it to look good at all, using optoins like... shadows, with a player base that is all max level already. You are looking at a good 2-3 month incredibly boring solo grind to catch up to the player base. That is, of course, unless you choose the F2P model, which will make you spend more than you want, to do basic things like use a decent version of a spell or use the auction house.
    Or you could play the most polished MMORPG ever launched with tons of people and actually have fun.

This might be a valid argument if Rift could offer the same content and depth of play as EQ2. As it is now, it can't

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by quasar941

This might be a valid argument if Rift could offer the same content and depth of play as EQ2. As it is now, it can't

Rift Launched 5 days ago.

EQ2 launched 7 years ago. Have you even played both games?

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Yes, I have. I've been playing EQ2 on and off since release and Rift since beta.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960

If you want a game with more content play EQ2. I would say the same thing when compairing any MMO launched today with most MMO's launched seven years ago. Seven years gives you some time to put in extra content, but content alone does not maketh the game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Still EQ2 has more content. But lets see.

Do you want to play a 7 old game that runs terrible has tons of quests, dungeons, raids, classes, professions has a very entertaining combat system and has one of the best housing systems where crafting is much more invovled and you have tons of fluff and alternative advancement?

Or do you want to play a new game with shiny graphics and questing in it is excruciatingly painful and boring? Did I mention the game feels boring and shallow when you're playing it?

I would say go with RIFT. It's new and shiny. Who cares if it is boring or not ? :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Exavus

If you like housing, crafting and mature MMORPG -> EQ 2

If you like WAR PvP, WoW PvE and figting Rifts and high population -> Rift

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by fivoroth

Still EQ2 has more content. But lets see.

Do you want to play a 7 old game that runs terrible has tons of quests, dungeons, raids, classes, professions has a very entertaining combat system and has one of the best housing systems where crafting is much more invovled and you have tons of fluff and alternative advancement?

Or do you want to play a new game with shiny graphics and questing in it is excruciatingly painful and boring? Did I mention the game feels boring and shallow when you're playing it?

I would say go with RIFT. It's new and shiny. Who cares if it is boring or not ? :D

Cool stuff, mate. Subjective/biased opinion ftw image

@OP: I found EQ2's artstyle drab and a far cry from the atmosphere of EQ and its character models were one of the worst I've seen in an MMORPG. But I've only been around the first year or two, admittedly, maybe it has improved a lot since then.

There's no denying that EQ2 has more content after all those years, especially with the speed in which SOE keeps pumping out those expansions.

Originally posted by Yamota

I think this is a good summary that hit it right on the spot. Except the mature MMORPG maybe, don't know how exactly that is meant whether that's the game or the community.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

I'm playing EQ2 instead of Rift.   Still tons of life left in this old game.

And don't let people scare you - the populations are fine.  Sure they aren't what they were 5 years ago, but there's plenty of people on Antonia Bayle (roll there if you're smart!).  Always groups of all levels, always something to do.

Oh yea.. and about those bad graphics.. Again, don't let people fool you, sure, it isn't the most amazing graphics ever, but for a 7 year old game, I think it has held up, quite well, even for the ineffciency of its graphics engine.  I am running this in Parallels on my Mac - sooo you know, medium settings and all that..  (I logged in where I left off, just to take the shot, I'm sure I could have staged it better if I cared enough..)

EQ2 Has Bad Graphics!

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Really it depends on what is most important to you.

Content?  EQ2 has been out a long time and has way more to offer.

Server populations? Rift has this one hands down.  Not just due to numbers, but also because it is new.  The majority of the player base in EQ2 is going to be maxed out.

Graphics? This is completely subjective.  Depends on what your rig can run, and what you like looking at.

Longevity?  This is an up in the air issue, in my eyes.  While Rift has had an undeniably rockstar start, it is yet to be seen what the staying power of the game will be.  That being said, EQ2 is a lot older and will therefore be more likely to die off first (barring a Rift collapse).

The "little things"?  Again, EQ2 because its been out longer.  This goes hand in hand with content.  Outside of leveling, Rift offers Rifts crafting and artifact collecting.  EQ2 has the player homes, and the things you mentioned (named mobs, etc.)  One thing Rift does have to offer is the freedom of the soul system, which brings variety to even just one character.

So in the end, you go with what is most important to you.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

you can always do the free trial of EQ2 first to see if you like it and if you do just stick with it. Even if you havent tried RIFT and you're enjoying the free trial you might as well stick with it. I play RIFT, I couldn't get into EQ2 and I am having a blast with RIFT. It is more new so there will be a great population and it's not as top-heavy as EQ2. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Yamota

I think this is a good summary that hit it right on the spot. Except the mature MMORPG maybe, don't know how exactly that is meant whether that's the game or the community.

I meant the game has been out for much longer so alot of the bugs, exploits and imbalances are more likely to be fixed. Also a mature game usually has alot more content from level 1 to end game.

As for the community... I suppose EQ 2 should have a more mature community as immature people usually have a short attention span and are long time gone.

Rift on the other hand should packed with WoW kiddies, but that is just conjecture on my part.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

These are mmorpg's we are talking about. They are built to be worth your time long after release. Don't let the age of EQ2 scare you off. It def has a ton of content to offer. The only donwside to it is that leveling up will be pretty lonely on subscription servers because there aren't that many new people coming in compared to all the players who are already level capped.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    This is difficult. EQ2 has great content for years (I just finished the 5000 unique quests achievement), but it is almost empty of players. I have both CEs for Rift and DoV.
  • crowdedcrowded Member Posts: 12

Depends on what you like.

EQ2 right now is broken right now shader 3 has been abandoned.  Lower level gear means nothing since they don't have the a big enough team to work on it.  A game in it's coffin waiting to die.  Every day there are less and less players.  

Can't go F2P since they have made the new expansion you have to pay real money to wear any thing you pick up.   But if you like mobs with no AI, armor with no style unless you pay real money, dressing up your house and character it is a lot of fun. 

I hate to say it but it seems to me Rift is more polished right now and is growing.   Somehow the world seems more cohesive and alive.  EQ2's world seems so stale and lifeless now to me.

Subscribe to both for a month play them both each day choose what is more fun.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I would only recommend EQ2 to EQ2 advanced players. Go for it if you are !!!

IF not, I would not recommend it to anyone new to the game, as it's very un friendly after level 15, sorry EQ2 fans this is a fact.

I can't even try Rift, as its the same old stuff. OP seems to be in the same boat as most of us, burnt out on mmo's, and thinking of going back to one of his first loves.  This idea does not always work out either.

Here is a suggestion :

I've been playing around with a game called Wizard 101. Now let me finish before you say anything. First its a FTP game or membership $9.95 a month. Next it's a kids and adult game. All the kids are in the FTP area.  The Graphics, mini games, are kid like.

HOWEVER :  It has a very large adult following after the starter area. It becomes a very hard game that involves a LOT  of strategy. I have to say its a turn based game, but it has 7 complicated classes complete with healers ( Life ) and tanks ( ice ). The forums here on mmorpg.com are dead but it has a very very large following, and the official forums are booming. The chat is limited in the free area, but is open if you pay monthly by credit card ( proving you are over 18 ).

Think of it more as a free trial, them pay if you like it monthly. Resist that it;s only for kids, and you will find that it's an mmo that is different, because if your like me your burn on all others no matter what's new and popular.

Suggestion #2 :

Vanguard, if your an EQ fan. Now let me finish here also. It does have a low population, HOWEVER, this can be easily overcome WITH MY METHOD OF PLAYING IT.

Go off a friends list, all guilds are worthless. Find friends using the LFG tool, and ask if they would like help with there stuff, not yours or they will not come, before you know it you have a friend. 

Same with dungeons, don't bother spamming in chat for groups, ask in the LFG tool, be nice.  You will be surprised how people will do stuff with you because even the advanced players don't know how to use the LFG tool to find others.

If you do this, you will not ever notice that Vanguard has a low population.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i think its based on old info maybe as old as 4 yrs that eq2 runs terrible.using a laptop with a 8400m gs card i can play it comfortably just below medium setting.

however rift runs better without a doubt.

honestly both are good games and eq2 servers are not as unhealthy as some make it to be,the issue is low levels are underpopulated as  vets can level their toons into 50s with collections without even have to quests or fight which is hard for newcomers to do without a high toon picking the collections or having plenty of money to buy them off broker.

but eq2 has tons of content as it is now 6 yrs old and rift is just a few days old(not counting headstart).

if rift is not doing it for you then eq2 is the way to go but make sure you guild fast in eq2 as often guildies will mentor down and take you thru dungeons as finding low level groups is hard.

both imho are solid games.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by sigurd57

I'm playing EQ2 instead of Rift.   Still tons of life left in this old game.

And don't let people scare you - the populations are fine.  Sure they aren't what they were 5 years ago, but there's plenty of people on Antonia Bayle (roll there if you're smart!).  Always groups of all levels, always something to do.

Oh yea.. and about those bad graphics.. Again, don't let people fool you, sure, it isn't the most amazing graphics ever, but for a 7 year old game, I think it has held up, quite well, even for the ineffciency of its graphics engine.  I am running this in Parallels on my Mac - sooo you know, medium settings and all that..  (I logged in where I left off, just to take the shot, I'm sure I could have staged it better if I cared enough..)

Is this supposed to be proof that the game still looks good? Really? Apart form the atrocious artdesign (which was always a big problen with EQ), technically it's laughably bad.

Please compare:

imageimageimageimageimageimage

One things for sure: You don't play EQ 2 for the graphics nowadays. But the most important thing is, that EQ 2 never really revovered from the blow that WoW gave them, so today EQ 2 is populated by very few people who are bound together by a fanatic hatred towards WoW and not mu8cn else.