Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game worth looking into?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

Yes its free to play so try it if it looks interesting

As far as pvp goes you will have to sink a ton of hours in to match the best players but thats how most pvp works

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

It depends on what you're interested in really. I played for a long time and was one of the better players in one a couple of the best guilds on both the old Codemasters NA servers, and the newer servers run by the actual makers of the game CCP. (site for the new official servers - www.playrf.com)

Read through the stuff beloew and keep in mind that personally, im a PvPer and the game was extremely fun when i was playing it due to the large scale pvp and raiding of enemy zones, at the time it had a very great community, made loads of friends. Read through the list below, and if most of it sounds ok to you, youll find the game very very fun:

- The game is pretty much all about PvP & grinding. Beyond the background story of the racial wars going on, there is not much to the actual story / lore throughout the game itself. If you're looking for a great story driven PvE experience look elsewhere

-PvP - it is RvRvR, 3 races, all enemies, able to kill any other race at any time and points (called Contribution Points or CP) are gained from each kill depending on various things such as level.

- Chip War - Chip war is a large scale battle that occurs 3x a day at 8 hour intervals and consists of everyone from all 3 races gathering at 1 zone for a battle over control centers (aka bases) which contain "chips". Each race is trying to take down either of the other bases, and once the 1st one is defeated the battle over the control centers ends and whoever got last hit on the control center gains possession of the chip, and then eneds to make run through the zone, down into the core of the mining facility and deliver it to the designated area without getting killed. Delivering successfully spawns something called the Holystone Keeper aka HSK. HSK is a giant stationary guardian in the core of the mine. The race which won control of the chip must defend the core against both other races. If the other races kill the HSK, the battle is over and no rewards are granted to any race. If the HSK survives, the winner gains a racial stat bonus until the next CW, causes stat debuffs to whichever race lost their control center, and also gains rights to mine for ore in the core until next CW, Some of these battles are pretty epic with hundreds of people onscreen at once battling it out.

-Questing - you generally get 1 quest per XP level, given to you automatically through the UI and usually in the form of "Kill X numbe rof X mobs" (until high level) and due to translation issues sometimes the directions are not very clear as to where to find the correct mobs, and once in awhile you'll run into a quest which just plain has the wrong name of the mob or the wrong variation of the mob. What i mean eby that is many times you will have a normal mob, designated by an "N" when you target it, but there are also "Ace" versions of them which are generally about 3-5x stronger than normal and designated with an "A" when targeted. Sometimes quests confuse the 2 types.

-More Questing - along with the above, there are several quests along the way which require you to do certain things such as talk to specific NPCs at certain levels or in a certain chain of events. These are very important to do as they give you rewards such as full sets of "Intense"(the best version) armor, or Intense weapons, both of which are near impossible to get without either doing those quest chains or buying them off the AH usually at a pretty high price. Aside from these and other special reward quests, and the ones gained each level

-Mobs - as mentioned in the questing portion, there are 2 variations of mobs, as well as a 3rd variation which come smuch lkater in the game. Along with the normal mobs you also have special boss monsters referred to as Pit Bosses or PBs. These PBs generally take anywhere from 1 party to 3-5 parties depending on the specific PB and the level & gear of those involved. They are found at various static locations around the game, and respawn on a set time cycle. You generally wont run into, or at least be able to handle fighting PBs until you get  to about level 45+, and they get tougher and tougher, to the point of 1 shotting anything but a tank. Theres a lot of damn good tanks playing the game for this reason, they are very very important to the game.

- The grind - is pretty bad / long. Nobody on the current servers has reached level cap yet, i believe highest person now is 60, cap is 65, and basically once you hit 50+ it can take several months to advance. It once took a friend of mine 3 months to gain 1 level due to loss of xp from dying, and not spending money on XP recovery pills.

-gear & levels - the game is very very dependent on gear & level. a level 45 stands no chance against a 50, a 50 stands no chance against a 55 even if the 55 is in only half decent gear and the 50 is in awesome gear. Equal level battles will come down to who has the highest upgrades on their gear. Gear is also very very rare to get anything other than normal / white / crap gear which can be bought from NPCs. Intense is the strongest version, and is usually sold at ridiculous prices due to the rarity.

- cash shop - the game can be very cash shop dependent if you dont learn certain aspects of the game early on. The most common things bought from there are XP pots and equipment upgraders, as well as some stat boosters. Also be aware that the game does have a pretty large number of gold farmers, and many of the current top level people rely heavily on buying gold from them in order to buy better gear. Once you get to a certain point though, you will rarely if ever have any use for the cash shop.

• lordxeroniuslordxeronius Member UncommonPosts: 11

is this game more of a pvp or pve still game?

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

PvP.

• ravenoakravenoak Member Posts: 10

downloaded, tested...game itself looked realy intresting...but: server wice game sucks alot very lot, i had my fill after 2hours of trying to play with disconnect every 1-2min, every single time fault was in game servers end. impossible to play like that

• BellelBellel Member Posts: 1

I've been playing this game since the first day of codemasters retail and i can tell in no uncertain terms that its only gotten/getting worse.

i've had devs actually tell me in game that ccr (the developer / publisher) doesnt care one bit about the North American / Western world servers.  and it shows

i was actually told that by a dev who PM'd me in game. thats significant because even as a race archon, one of the 27 in game leaders (between the 3 races) who have a chat feature GMs can ALWAYS see, getting help from a GM is like pulling your teeth out its so painfully difficult.

the game is jammed with bugs. one being an "overlap" bug where sometimes the game wont let you pick up loot because a piece of the same kind of loot already in your bag has a "different rental period".  rental periods are commonly associated with the cash shop items and really have no bearing on common loot gathering. but the bugs there, and has been since the new servers launched 18 months ago.

if you watch in game chat you would think that hacking, duping, glitching etc is the regular way the games played. and while its NO WHERE near as bad as the complainers in chat would have you believe, what cheating there is in game is rarely addressed by the GMs. at least not in a fashion the player base can see or in any way that engenders player confidence.

i'm running windows 7 with 9 gigs of ram and 1 gig of dedicated video memory and i crit error out of the game every day. mulitples times if i play for long periods.

there are features in game that have been broken  by even patches that ccr has put in place and they still havent been repaired.  thats become the common thread for this company in regards to this game. break it fine, fix it....probably not.

now, why am i still playing? as a game this could be an AWESOME choice, unfortunately the publisher gets in the way of that happening.  if you have the ability to play the pinoy, korean, russian or taiwanese servers  you might want to try those. from the word of mouth ive heard those servers are well managed and mainted.

i've invested thousands of hours by now, over the years in RF so i'll ride out this horrid storm until i can find something decent to replace it with. my first choice being SWTOR. Which is still a little ways out. any recommedations on a good sci fi mmo with good pvp mixed in, please feel free to throw your opinion out there for me

as far as RF Online goes though, stay as far away from the PLAYRF.com version of the game as you can possible get.

Originally posted by Bellel

/snip

Haha, I remember you from back on the CM servers playing against you on ACC in guilds like Fusion.

Anyway, yeah ill give you that, the support is pretty lacking and there are quite a few bugs that go unchecked and have existed since even the old CM servers. Like the 'pot bug' which causes your potions to get stuck on the last 1 in the stack and not switch over to the next stack and preventing you from healing. Causes lots of death if you dont catch it in time (usually a good idea to monitor how low your current stack is and then be prepared to manually switch them if it doesnt do it on its own cause of the bug).

Theres also some other issues, some which are just plain stupid... for example the special weapons boxes they give you for reaching certain levels. Playing as an Accretian Striker, you constantly get fucked over. Those boxes give you weapons for every class in the game EXCEPT strikers. Instead of launchers, they give you regular ranged weapons for the ranger class since that is your base starting class, and it doesnt take into account that youre no longer an actual ranger and that bow/gun is pretty useless to you. They did the same thing with Elven weapons, everyone in the game except strikers could get elven weapons which especially when the new servers first started just roflstompped everything else in existence. Between both the weapons boxes an dthe elvens, accretians were pretty much constantly underpowered compared to the other races. It took them several months, but they did at least fix that Elven issue (or so i hear, i havent actually done an Elven PB yet since my return to the game a few days ago).

Anyway, bugs/stupid decisions aside, the game is a blast if you can get past those things, which most of us have ove rthe years and theyve just become kind of a part of the game. We complain about them all the time, yet we keep playing because when it comes down to it, it is one of the funnest games around for massive PvP battles and theres some really great people playing the game. Since the old CM servers ive formed some great friendships with people who i stuck with not only in RF but also moved onto other various games with.

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

I don't agree that this is primarily a PvP game. The PvP Chip War is arguably the most important part of the game, but it only happens every 8 hours. Apart from that, PvP is a small part of the overall experience as the vast majority of your time will be spent grinding up levels.

While you are grinding levels, you will be repeatedly killed by high level enemy players. You will stand no chance against them. You'll be lucky even to see their names.

Now it sounds like I am putting this game down. I am not. Grinding in RF is fun because of the large variety of spells, physical strikes, and debuffs involved, and also because you are constantly drinking potions. The difference between your attacks is largely meaningless - damage type matters but your strategy won't change within a single fight - however the sheer amount of eye candy and sound effects, along with better danger from adds than most grinders, makes the action pretty satisfying. Pounding potions is silly, but it's so constant you will begin to think of it as just your regen rate or any kind of upkeep.

While you do this, you will be in constant danger of being ganked by high level players. When they enter the area, you or someone is going to get their ass handed to them. Your job then is to run like hell, hope you aren't the next target, and call for help. If you get to safety, the high level players on your side will come looking for the offender. This might not sound like the kind of fun you'd want from a PvP game, but while your experience of RF is about PvE grinding it makes the game a thousand times more surprising and suspenseful than anything else in its category.

There is no corpse to recover, so there is no corpse camping, and the endgame players are only doing it to provoke their equals. I played this game for hundreds of hours and don't think I ever was killed repeatedly by the same player. In fact I don't remember ever being angry at someone from the opposing factions.

I haven't played on the CCR server in a long time. Last time I went there, the chat was dominated by gold spammers to the point of being utterly useless. There was no moderation whatsoever, including by players. How this is possible, in a game where players are elected to moderate and appoint moderators, I have no idea. Can anyone tell me what CCR's server is like now?

With that caveat, I recommend this game very highly compared to anything similar. It is far and away my favorite F2P game.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

Originally posted by einexile

I don't agree that this is primarily a PvP game. The PvP Chip War is arguably the most important part of the game, but it only happens every 8 hours. Apart from that, PvP is a small part of the overall experience as the vast majority of your time will be spent grinding up levels.

While you are grinding levels, you will be repeatedly killed by high level enemy players. You will stand no chance against them. You'll be lucky even to see their names.

Now it sounds like I am putting this game down. I am not. Grinding in RF is fun because of the large variety of spells, physical strikes, and debuffs involved, and also because you are constantly drinking potions. The difference between your attacks is largely meaningless - damage type matters but your strategy won't change within a single fight - however the sheer amount of eye candy and sound effects, along with better danger from adds than most grinders, makes the action pretty satisfying. Pounding potions is silly, but it's so constant you will begin to think of it as just your regen rate or any kind of upkeep.

While you do this, you will be in constant danger of being ganked by high level players. When they enter the area, you or someone is going to get their ass handed to them. Your job then is to run like hell, hope you aren't the next target, and call for help. If you get to safety, the high level players on your side will come looking for the offender. This might not sound like the kind of fun you'd want from a PvP game, but while your experience of RF is about PvE grinding it makes the game a thousand times more surprising and suspenseful than anything else in its category.

There is no corpse to recover, so there is no corpse camping, and the endgame players are only doing it to provoke their equals. I played this game for hundreds of hours and don't think I ever was killed repeatedly by the same player. In fact I don't remember ever being angry at someone from the opposing factions.

I haven't played on the CCR server in a long time. Last time I went there, the chat was dominated by gold spammers to the point of being utterly useless. There was no moderation whatsoever, including by players. How this is possible, in a game where players are elected to moderate and appoint moderators, I have no idea. Can anyone tell me what CCR's server is like now?

With that caveat, I recommend this game very highly compared to anything similar. It is far and away my favorite F2P game.

Regarding the part in red...

It's pretty much always been that way, even on the old CM servers, however they dont really spam the actual "chat". Everyone turns off map chat, its pretty useless now anyway, and thats where the bots spam, so nobody even sees it anyway. Everyone sticks to All chat and Buy/Sell chat, and there is no spamming there, except for the random whiny noobs who insist on begging for help every 5 seconds without even waiting for a response, or people spamming their wares in for trade. The only other time you will see a bot spammer outside of Map chat is in the general/local chat in HQ, but theres not many (usually just 1 or 2 at a time) and they can be blocked easily.

• cichiceancichicean Member UncommonPosts: 18

I couldn't get past the 1433 updates. I got some errors while updting from time to time, clicked RETRY, it continued to update until it suddenly closed at around 200+ updates. It takes a looooooooooong time to update and you WILL errors. If the launcher closes while updating, you have to start all over again from zero.

• paps26paps26 Member Posts: 24

I played this game upto level 51 and with that span of time I enjoyed it specially the chip wars. 

• AdamFrinkAdamFrink Member Posts: 5

Its a good game if you like Gundam, i know there is a class that looks like gundam characters, other class are like amazon warriors if your in to that youll love this game

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    It's a pvp f2p grind mmo. It has a cool look to it and you can have some fun at higher levels in chip war but until that point you'll be ganked your whole time leveling.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• Nigel8Nigel8 Member Posts: 3

You should better off with another MMO. like rift this game is not that good. you should watch a youtube clip to know what im saying

• AhyaAikawaAhyaAikawa Member Posts: 6

The Game is very fun because you dont always have to be on the game to be doing something. When you Mine you can be AFK and make lots of money doing this. I look forward to be coming home and get ready to fight in the Chip wars at three then get off and do my homework and know that im still making money in the game. This game is good and has things that are better then WOW and somethings that are stupid like the quest system. But if you like wars that have 1000's of people im them this is the game for you

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please do not necro post in old threads. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.