Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know this has probably been posted 10000 times but...

2»

Comments

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

I've not played rift and I've not been in WoW since their launch, neither really grabs me or appeals to me as much as other MMO's out there. That's my personal opinion and really just has to do with taste and not the games themseves. 

So when I see the advert, it ellicits a big "meh" from me. Clearly it is trying to make it clear this isn't WoW and that's their point. They are not trying to grab die hard WoWers, but people who are looking for something different. In some ways I think Rift is trying to exert itself as the rebirth of the more "hardcore" MMO's that came before WoW. They are trying to reach out to those who perhaps played WoW and liked the basic idea of an MMO but were looking for something more, so that's their aim with the "We're not in ____ any more comment". 

WoW hardcore fans can walk away from it with ease knowing that nothing on the radar is going to shake their idol off the top of the mountian, and those unsatisfied by what WoW offers can try something new. No one is hurt... 

• DreeterDreeter Member Posts: 6

I come to mmorpg alot to read about new mmo's.  Ive never made an account or posted because I look at the forums as almost an equivilent as trying to make conversation over youtube videos.

THis game is almost an exact clone as warhammer.  I will give you that its a tad better but not much. 

All the time when people don't understand why people don't like WOW I almost can't believe it. 

Let me explain to you.  WoW is 3 seperate games.  Theres the leveling game and when you beat that, you get the pve game, and a side pvp minigame.  Alot of people don't even consider wow a real mmo.   It's instanced all to hell pvp is pointless and skilless.  It's a tab targeting game and we have to technology to make twitch based fps combat in MMO's.   Asheron's Call had tab targeting but thats because the technology wasn't there for fps type combat.  It did have some twitch based elements to it and non instanced and easily the best pvp in any mmo untill darkfall came out.     

WoW is basicly just playing fable 3.  A very polished game that has dumbed down classes, easy combat and extremely extremly linear story that and holds your hand and tells you how to play the entire time.

and then theres games like OBlivion.  Open world, lots of depth, endless player made content,  limitless class ideas.  It's just all around a better game than fable.  Fable is just a quick fix with no depth.   WoW is that quick fix.  IT lacks depth completlely and is pointless.  UO, Asheron's Call, Darkfall, SWG are the huge budget  sandbox(or should I sAY MMO) games that people want. Oblivion and Fallout type games.        

My friends at work are like man you gonna try rift out?  I tell them that I really only like playing MMO's that arn't heavily instanced and have pvp.  They are like man i saw some cool battleground videos of rift tho it has pvp.   Then you have to let them know.  Any gear/class based/instanced game with out any penalities to death is not going to have meaningful pvp.  It's just not.    In Asheron's Call you lost some gold and took a 5% xp penalty, lost your buffs(extremely tedious to buff in the game) and got sent back to your single bindstone (which could be a 30 minute trip to get back.)   You fought over dungeons and towns that mattered and the game world was shaped by the players and it had extremely good pve for its time.    Darkfall is a different kind of beast.  I will admit that the penalty in this kind of game is too harsh for some, which is you lose all your items on death.  But the combat is so much more fun in darkfall than a 123 button masher game I don't know why they would even make a game like that anymore.   

So lets get some points out of this rant.   Rift is a clone to wow/warhammer because its heavily gear based/class based/instanced/instanced pvp/instanced dungeons(darkfall,ac,and probably uo although i never played had/have no instanced dungeons.) 

A different kind of mmo would have a big seamless world not so instanced, not class based, not heavily gear based (as in you dont have to raid to get the best gear.)  no pvp instances ,  not a tab target game.       

ask yourself if you would rather play fable as an mmo or oblivion?  I would have to assume that 75% or more would rather play oblivion but somehow all the mmo's are just simplified rpgs like fable.     

Yes I know Darkfall and AC won't appeal to people because 1. AC is old and 2. Darkfall was made by an INdie company.  But with a big budget and good devs darkfall online would easily be the best mmo ever made in a landslide.   Nothing would come close.                

I'm not here to say that RIFT is a bad game because I played it in beta and thought it had some fun factors. same linear pve grind instanced pvp and raiding tho and your forced into classes.  

I came here to explain why people say its a clone.  It's a broad picture and people pick out little things like rifts and stuff that make it different but its not to most people.  It's the same thing with different skins.   I came to try to explain some of the things that people want to see in new MMO's. 

1. SEamless world

2.real time combat

3.deep character depth and uniqueness, (not stuck in classes)

4. and for some meaningful pvp that has an impact on the world.   

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by PostwarPen

Originally posted by xiiH4v0kiix

... We're not in azeroth anymore? Seriously? :l I'm extremely disappointed in Trion worlds... That's a low blow, and that's not going to take from WoW's fanbase, it's going to take from RIFT's... I honestly wanted to try this game out, but that's really just... no. I do still want to try it out still, but after that, it kinda makes me think they're purposely slapping blizz in the face, purposely ripped from them, and are now saying "Hey, we're better than blizzard, so come play our game!"

Trion Worlds, I am very disappointed. :/

The problem isn't with Trion at all. You are interpreting that statement as a "slap in the face", but why do you think that? Perhaps they are using that, not to steal from Blizzard's fanbase, but to relate to the players who are tired of World of Warcraft or looking for something different.

There is no point in not trying a game because of a tagline in an advertisement. You're essentially removing a possible source of entertainment or fun from your life and I wish you wouldn't do that!

If they're tired of WoW, why would they try to market Rift to them?

I see no reason why a person who is tired of WoW would enjoy Rift. I can't stand WoW, and i almost puked when i played Rift. I still hate WoW, but Rift makes it look like WoW can sh** diamonds

Enlighten me if I'm wrong and "shiney new graphix" are all you need to draw people away from WoW

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I have to agree that the whole "We're not in Azeroth anymore" thing was rather stupid. It makes it seem that TRION doesn't have enough confidence in their game to stand up on its own features and had to take a jab at the genre leader to get some people interested in it.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I just thought it was an ad trying to make a statement that Trion is stepping up to the plate and competing with WoW. Not that WoW was bad or anything, just they want to compete. 

Read through the thread and see you calmed down about it, but just wanted to say imo, since that's mostly what mmorpg forums are.

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

Read over what I just said, because you're kinda contradicting yourself. MMO = Video game. Soft drinks do not equal video games. Soft drink companies blantanly bash each other, but nobody cares. Video game companies don't bash each other because it puts a gap in their fanbase, which it has many times before. That's basically what I just said.

Erm wrong. Video game companies bash each other all the time. Starting from Sega vs Nintendo (sega stating the original gameboy was "spinach green color" only) to hidden messages by all of the top 3 consoles in their messages to this. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last. The point to take away from this is that it's always the top dog that gets hit. It's not only video games either, it goes out all the way to sports and our daily lives. 

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by likwidsage

Read over what I just said, because you're kinda contradicting yourself. MMO = Video game. Soft drinks do not equal video games. Soft drink companies blantanly bash each other, but nobody cares. Video game companies don't bash each other because it puts a gap in their fanbase, which it has many times before. That's basically what I just said.

Erm wrong. Video game companies bash each other all the time. Starting from Sega vs Nintendo (sega stating the original gameboy was "spinach green color" only) to hidden messages by all of the top 3 consoles in their messages to this. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last. The point to take away from this is that it's always the top dog that gets hit. It's not only video games either, it goes out all the way to sports and our daily lives. 

Genesis does what nintendon't

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

... We're not in azeroth anymore? Seriously? :l I'm extremely disappointed in Trion worlds... That's a low blow, and that's not going to take from WoW's fanbase, it's going to take from RIFT's... I honestly wanted to try this game out, but that's really just... no. I do still want to try it out still, but after that, it kinda makes me think they're purposely slapping blizz in the face, purposely ripped from them, and are now saying "Hey, we're better than blizzard, so come play our game!"

I feel the exact same way. Childish advertising and there's no chance in hell I'm gonna try that game. If they  feel they have to drag other games into their launch advertising their game must miss a whole lot of things.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• MetalFreak89MetalFreak89 Member Posts: 7

The line they stated in the comercial "were not in Azeroth anymore". That is what made me look into the game, I would have never knew of its existance if it was not for that. it is a good marketing tool and here is why. Belive it or not there are those among you who have played mmo's before wow came to be, and are still playign today. After spending 6 years in a game after taking the gamble from leaving another game back then the great titles of the time liek EQ, and DAOC or even UO , and having all the new content released feel like the old content. A new game with fresh lore not restricted by previous titles is a nice thing to see. Sure it may be really similar to wow, and other mmo's but to me its alot about a fresh story since i dotn see any better mmo's coming out in the near future. But its somethign to feed my addiction untill something does. Trust me im just happy to be away from wow. I never thought it would happen.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

OMG . All you naysaying rabid fanboys that Ain't gonna play RIFT. tsk, tsk. You will play eventually cause RIFT is about to take over. Soon everyone you know will be playing it and to hell with WoW. Just wait and see. Everyone has been burned out on WoW for awhile now rather they want to admit it or not. Only reason you kept playing was because all the other games are crap, and there was simply nothing better out there. Until now. RIFT is not WoW. I played WoW, loved it ..till Blizzard massacred itself. I have grown to absolutely hate WoW. I used to log in and immediatly feel sad and pissed of because WoW has obviously lost it's appeal. Face it ... it is tailored to the braindead. I am loving RIFT though. For me it is nothing like WoW. And I will not be surprised if RIFT has over 3-4 million subs by the end of may....there is a new gorilla on the block and it is growing! Better watch out lest he sit's on you!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

From what I've seen in all these threads, the different opinions and division about the commercial are pretty clear (and very predictable):

- most Rift fans find the commercial either funny, fitting or when they dislike it it's not enough to raise more than a shrug

- most WoW fans and Rift haters/critics are indignant and find the commercial distasteful and 'cheap'

- most neutrals and people indifferent towards both games are split in the middle, they'll be either indifferent towards the commercial, find it a good ad or find it bad taste but not enough to feel indignation about it.

And here it is, the predictable outcome as seen throughout the threads about this topic, it shows clearly that the commercial isn't seen out of its context: meaning that if you're a fan(boi) of WoW or on a bashing campaign of Rift, then that commercial will be more fuel to fan your flames, and if you're a Rift fan then you'll see nothing much wrong with the commercial.

It makes me think that only the neutrals, those who have no feelings attached to both games and are indifferent towards them, are the ones that have the most objective opinion regarding the commercial, not influenced or colored by their likes/dislikes of one game or the other.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• chaoticwoechaoticwoe Member UncommonPosts: 3

I think that the game is fun and exciting. I too have enjoyed the story and lore within the game and find it refreshing.image

• mmrbaisitemmrbaisite Member Posts: 61

It is not like this community hasn’t seen this before;

- game vouches to be better than wow.

- a few percent of wow people have a look at it. (still a lot of people)

- fast foreward two or three months.

- lo(l) and behold the marketing struggle to keep people around, is in full force.

Play it if you like it. Of course. But do not call it next gen, pretty please.

• burcakozolburcakozol Member Posts: 7

Simply RIFT takes WoW success formula further by adding gorgeous visuals, effects, new innovative features such as rifts and invasions, and adding all other features that WoW was missing so far, blended with a polished game in every aspect and one of the best customer services. You have fun in RIFT every second you play, because there is always something to do. It is also very casual friendly and it has fair gameplay for every player playing it. You get what you want if you work your ass for it, and you don't have to deal with jerks, elitists and such to get them, simple enough. 

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Mike_L

I feel the exact same way. Childish advertising and there's no chance in hell I'm gonna try that game. If they  feel they have to drag other games into their launch advertising their game must miss a whole lot of things.

Overreaction FTL.

I truly PMSL when I read the comment in red.

You're assuming Trion's marketing approach in someway reflects the nature and quality of their product. Like, Ferrari's must be shit coz I never see any ads for them, doh! Anyway, you'd better go get fit on the food MacDonald's tells you is 'healthy' then, lol!

In the meantime, cut-off, nose, spite, face... you can add the rest of the words in.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

What I posted in the WOW forum in a similar thread:

It's just clever marketing. And judging the amount of threads everywhere about it, it is working as intended.

They have a new game on their hands, it is polished, it has fresh graphics, it adds a public & random PVE feature and it is designed to feel very familiar to their target audience: people who are playing or have ever played WOW or similar cookie cutter fantasy mmorpgs.

So this cocky advertising campaign suits them perfect. At the same time that simple line of text avoids alienating those who have never touched WOW with a ten foot pole. Very clever.

There is no 'winner takes all' idea behind it, though. I doubt that Trion thinks they'll be able to drain WOW of the majority of western players. They just aim for a nice chunk and get a lot of attention.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

We have a thread for game comparisons stickied at the top. Going to lock this. Discussing the marketing is valid, but a lot of this thread is just comparing and we'd like to concentrate that discussionsomewhere while still fostering it. Locking the thread.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.