Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before I buy, questions

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Below are some questions I hope some people could answer for me that have played this game to help with my decision to purchase this game.

1. Is there a virtual item shop in this P2P game?

2. How is instancing used in the world?

3. How is travel handled?

4. Are dungeons an AOE fest or is there strategy such as crowd control?

Thank you.

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by qombi

Below are some questions I hope some people could answer for me that have played this game to help with my decision to purchase this game.

Thank you.

1. No

2. There isn't any instancing except for the Warfronts and 5 man dungeons.

3. You have mounts and teleportation. You have to find a the teleport person in each area to teleport there. Teleportation costs coin. There aren't many teleportation points, so most of your traveling is done by foot or mount. Mounts can be bought at any level.

4. So far, I've done two dungeons. Neither is an aoe fest, because DPS will get agro and die. Crowd control hasn't been needed yet either, but I'm betting crowd control and AOE will be usefull in dungeons later in the game since certain souls specialize in it.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Thanks for your response, do others agree with this assessment or have anything to add? Thanks!

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by nate1980

Thank you.

1. No

3. You have mounts and teleportation. You have to find a the teleport person in each area to teleport there. Teleportation costs coin. There aren't many teleportation points, so most of your traveling is done by foot or mount. Mounts can be bought at any level.

4. So far, I've done two dungeons. Neither is an aoe fest, because DPS will get agro and die. Crowd control hasn't been needed yet either, but I'm betting crowd control and AOE will be usefull in dungeons later in the game since certain souls specialize in it.

i can confirm 1, 2, and 3 but i never got around to running any dungeons.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by Tazlor

Thank you.

1. No

i can confirm 1, 2, and 3 but i never got around to running any dungeons.

I can also comfirm 1, 2 and 3.  Haven't ran a dungeon either.  Hope to this weekend.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Thank you.

1. No

All spot on.  

As to dungeons, I've seen rogues SAP mobs in a few dungeons, so yes there is CC.  Haven't been to higher level dungeons past 35 yet, but they are fun.  Also, I am a mage and I threw an AOE out fairly fast and got swarmed, I had to feign death to survive(necro/warlock ftw!) so its usable but situational and agro management is a must.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Thanks for your response, do others agree with this assessment or have anything to add? Thanks!

It is a fair assessment.

I really enjoyed this game, from the first beta down to the last.  I'm working full time and going to school full time, meaning I have absolutely no time for an MMO right now.  That is the only thing that kept me from preordering.

Is this the right game for you?  That's hard to say.  Aside from the extremely vocal whiners, the response to this game has been very positive.  And these same whiners knew they would hate the game before ever trying it.  The devs have been very upfront about what this game IS.  If it looks like something you'll enjoy, you can be sure that it certainly delivers on all of it's promises.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I have done IT, DSM, FC,KB, and just early today I did RD.

They all take some kind of strategy , and yes there is CC in some of them.  If you don't know what you are doing you will die.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

4. I've done two dungeons several times. One of my characters is a dps class with some good aoe abilities, which I do use when it's possible. Why not use it. But it's not an aoe fest. I don't think there are that many aoe abilities over all classes. And my AOE abilities only affect 3 targets anyway.

CC? I haven't seen any of those abilities in dungeons.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Thanks for the responses. I am a little weary about playing another boring game like WoW since they ruined dungeons with the AOE fest. It sounds like there is more to it in this game though. I will probably pick the game up and see what I think.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Thank you.

1. NO (thank the gaming gods)

2.  For dungeons and such, the rifts themselves are dynamic and can appear anywhere at any time with litle warning.

3.  Mounts mostly, though in the main city you can portal to and from certain areas, if you been there before.  If you have the coin, or bought the CE can get a mount soon as you leave starter area.

4.  CC will come it to play later I assume, haven't had much use for it yet though (only 19).  If you don't watch you dps, you'll die but that is pretty much the golden rule of any mmo dungeon.