Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: March Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Warhammer Herald has been updated with the March Producer's Letter from James Casey. Casey starts by encouraging WAR players to check in on the official forums as the dev team has been more visible and vocal with the community. From there, Casey discusses smaller tweaks and the planning of the next Live Event.

As promised in the previous Producer Letter, I want to also hit upon some stuff we have in the works.  When we started work on the Verminous Horde, we had a number of thoughts and initiatives that were in the works.  We opted to move one or two of these from being tied into that patch and instead concentrate on them after the booster was out and make them free features.  One of these features is the addition of new options for crafting.  Conceived as ‘advanced crafting’, it will build upon that foundation, but with new and exciting options.  The idea behind it is to introduce new mechanics and flesh out the offerings available via player crafting.  As we get closer to testing and launch, we’ll give more information and start discussions in the afore-mentioned forums.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I doubt there is anything they could change about that game that would ever entice me back.  I really can't believe these are the same people who made Dark Age of Camelot.  I guess they have truly lost their way.

• drunkentygerdrunkentyger Member Posts: 4

I agree. I loved Dark Age of Camelot. Heard they were talking about making a number 2, but the best bet would be to stay true to the original. 

Warhammer sucks because it lost any strategy. Siege is a joke. Just pound on the front door while a group keeps stragglers from coming the postern door. In DAoC siege weapon placement mattered. And you could attack from multiple sides, punch holes in walls and even demolish buildings.

Plus the 3rd faction added an unpredictable element to the fights. Warhammer is an attempt at making a realm based pvp for the masses who like easy mode and don't like to think.

I love the Warhammer Universe, but the game is boring. PvE is a joke and PvP is so basic, it's boring. The Scenario features are nice, but not enough to save the game.

• mjkittredgemjkittredge Member Posts: 126

Actually it sounds good. They try to do the best they can with what personnel and funds they have available. The Advanced Crafting feature sounds very promising, many people have said this game needs more crafting options.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Originally posted by mjkittredge

Actually it sounds good. They try to do the best they can with what personnel and funds they have available. The Advanced Crafting feature sounds very promising, many people have said this game needs more crafting options.

I'm just curious how you know the advanced crafting feature sounds promising, because the newsletter provided no details of it except to say its coming.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by TheHavok

I'm just curious how you know the advanced crafting feature sounds promising, because the newsletter provided no details of it except to say its coming.

My guess is "advanced crafting" means a higher level of crafting you can go to lol.  That's about it.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by TheHavok

Thats why he said "sounds" and not that it IS promising

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I enjoyed my short stay in Warhammer Online, some good features in the game and I liked how PVP was built into the PVE. The problem was that DAOC was just so much better, DAOC had class diversity, and 3 way PVP works great like it did in Planetside too.

Hopefully DAOC 2 will come out at some point, Mythic made a great game, they should stick to their roots.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by Solestran

I doubt there is anything they could change about that game that would ever entice me back.  I really can't believe these are the same people who made Dark Age of Camelot.  I guess they have truly lost their way.

Agree, I guess will not ever return. Last drop that made me permanently to go away when petitioned about problem of impossible respawn rate of mobs. Have timed and respawn was 30 to 40 secs. Was impossible to finish some quest without killed 100 insignificant mobs. Very cheap way of implementing grind and saying our quests are not simple grind. Je, I had to kill 5 mobs but to kill 100 others to be actually able to acomplish that.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I wouldnt trust on their ability to make proper DAoC2...All of the people who made DAoC great have already left the company and the new generation of Mythic has done VERY poor job at improving DAoC1

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think Mythic simply were after the WoW PvP market and went two faction with very WoW-styles graphics and fantasy theme. It just doesn't work, and no matter what they do to patch it they lost there player base years ago and nobody will come back to this. It's interesting that Blizzard went in another direction and have very tightly controlled PvP, with world PvP being more or less dead. Just goes to show you that PvP mmos are very hard to make, and that two faction ones never work out well if they are world PvP and siege-based.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Still nothing to address the ridiculous CC.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Sadly WAR is toast.  It'll bump along until EA decides to pull the plug, but there's so many deficiencies to cover that it would take a full dev team a year of fixing just to get the game back on it's feet.  I say that with true regret as well, as both my wife and I loved WAR when we played.

Mythic may have been a good company once, but it died when it was sold to EA.  There is literally no hope of Mythic producing anything again simply because they're nothing more than a brand of EA's online gaming division.  EA's decisions drove the reduction in development staff, the appointment of unsuitable lead producers and resulting in the languishing of a game that could have made something more of itself.

Not to say the WAR developers didn't help dig their own deep deep pits.  Paul Barnett really oversold a game concept that either never really existed or was abandoned very close to live.  The class balance developers took way too long to even begin to address the disparities inherent to having 12 very different classes, and even then wound up never addressing the more glaring deficiencies. 

Most importantly though, knowing that they were launching with two factions, they should have had an internal active population balance mechanism from Day 1.  I'm not sure what the idea was, but it seems like they just hoped that active faction populations would normalize and balance out on the large scale - and that players on the short end of the stick would simply stick it out until the winds shifted back to them.  If that's true, it shows a really astonishing lack of understanding for player mentalities.

For their own sake I hope Bioware is much more successful with KOTOR, and that EA doesn't see fit to cut them off at the knees post-launch.  They may then have some chance at retaining their identity.  My gut feeling is that it's going to be another launch-big, dwindle-fast type game, which may result in the same actions from EA management - but hope springs eternal (even if I wouldn't play it myself).

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Browsing the forum on badlands, rift really killed much of the people who posted.