Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about buying it today, Should I or should I stay with EQ2

DarkShadow74DarkShadow74 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Hi all,

As the title says, I am thinking about buy today, but I havent even been keeping up with the game. So I dont have a clue what the back story is, what is going on, what is it like, etc..... I come from EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, War, STO, Horizons, etc.... I love to craft, I love to adv, and love to be part of a community. WIll this be one of those games? Or is it to be like Aion, War, etc?

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by DarkShadow74

Hi all,

As the title says, I am thinking about buy today, but I havent even been keeping up with the game. So I dont have a clue what the back story is, what is going on, what is it like, etc..... I come from EQ, EQ2, WoW, SWG, War, STO, Horizons, etc.... I love to craft, I love to adv, and love to be part of a community. WIll this be one of those games? Or is it to be like Aion, War, etc?

Well I wasn't interested in yet another fantasy themepark mmo about a month ago, and in fact was really looking forward to Earthrise. Yet here I am playing Rift and having a blast. However I got interested during the time when I  could easily give the game a whirl for free.

That said, if you haven't been interested enough to look into the game until now, and want someone to make that decsion for you, I personally feel you are better off staying where you are until at least they offer a free trial.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

If you played War, you already have a pretty good idea of what to expect with Rift.

Imo, War was better than WoW, and Rift is better than War so far. I doesn"t mean anything, I'm certain it will never take over WoW, but it's a nice themepark game.

Equally, you should consider to leave EQ2 for what they've done to SWG. I'll never ever give them 1 extra $.

• tim1983tim1983 Member Posts: 19

hey.. i just picked this up yesterday.. and so far im having a blast.. i cant seem to put it down at the moment.. anyway, just to comment a bit on some of the things you seek : with regards to crafting, i usually always craft, but have chosen not to, because 1: it seems to take alot of time and money to lvl it up, and 2: there is simply so much else to go and do.. anyway, maybe others say its very easy to lvl it up, i guess depends on the person.

Then there is the Rifts, wich is really cool and fun, its basically evolving on the public quest system wich warhammer introduced. but what i like the most is the dynamic events that will appear from time to time wich is huge major events, where the entire zone is under attack: to give a cool example, earlier today there was a major rift event where the plane of death "literally invaded", and the sky turned purple darkish with lightning streaking everywhere.. it was awesome ! :).. anyway, if you got the money, i would suggest investing on a copy and give it a whirl

• DarkShadow74DarkShadow74 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by Tardcore

Well I wasn't interested in yet another fantasy themepark mmo about a month ago, and in fact was really looking forward to Earthrise. Yet here I am playing Rift and having a blast. However I got interested during the time when I  could easily give the game a whirl for free.

That said, if you haven't been interested enough to look into the game until now, and want someone to make that decsion for you, I personally feel you are better off staying where you are until at least they offer a free trial.

I am not looking for someone to make the decsion for me, I am wanting to find out info about it, since I didnt keep up with it. I want to find out if its a good game, what is it strengths, what is its weakness.. Is it going to be around longer then 30 days? Is it better out of the gate then Aion and AoC was. etc. etc. How is this company ( I have never heard of them) with they customers and listening to them about the game?

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197

I am not looking for someone to make the decsion for me, I am wanting to find out info about it, since I didnt keep up with it. I want to find out if its a good game, what is it strengths, what is its weakness.. Is it going to be around longer then 30 days? Is it better out of the gate then Aion and AoC was. etc. etc. How is this company ( I have never heard of them) with they customers and listening to them about the game?

This is Trion's first release however most of the devs go all the way back to UO and Everquest combined have put out 27 MMO's.  It's good if you like themepark there isn't alot of sandbox in Rift.  Like EQ2 there are shinies that give decent rewards the crafting is simple, but I like it over the EQ2 mini-game I was one of those crazies that had 9 max crafters before LU 24.  There is no housing so if you are a housing junkie in EQ2 well nada atm they have said on the table but not atm.  Ancient wardstones are interesting, basically that is the player made content hold 20 in the zone you get the raid boss to spawn for you faction.  I played EQ2 from release and I don't miss it at all, but one huge factor for me was Scott Hartsman being on board he was what in my opinion made EQ2 great and it has declined since he left around RoK.  Questing is fairly linear but rifts and invasions break that up alot so it doesn't feel grindy.

I can't speak for anyone else but last year's fanfaire was the deal breaker for me and EQ2 the Q&A session with the devs they looked like they would rather be anywhere else than sitting on that panel.  A month later EQ2X was announced and as they say the rest is history lol.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

the game is very polished. unlike other mmo launches, they are selling us a complete product and not just a bunch of promises. as for the core gameplay- what you experience now is generally what you will have to deal with for the rest of your gaming experience for the game. that said, you need to play the game for at least a couple of days or so to let the hook really sink in. like most other mmo's the "tutorial" part of the game (lvls 1-10) is a watered down, ezmode experience of rift and what it has to offer, and not a good representation of the true game mechanics. that said, i myself almost quit the game after the first day because i felt it was so standard. but since i had no other mmorpgs to play at the time i just kept playing and then i really fell in love with it after one weekend and discovered all the unique qualities rift has to offer. 

- handles massive town invasions very well, better than all other games on the market. graphics still look good when 100 people are on the screen casting spells and framerate is still fine. compare this with WAR, Aion, or even Lineage 2 (rofl), when your character barely moves due to lag or your computer crashes on you. 

- Rifts are fun, but best enjoyed if you are taking them down by yourself or with a couple of people. If theres too many people on one rift, it becomes too easy and boring, not to mention your rewards arent as good. 

- Exploration is well implemented. lot of artifact sets scattered around the world to collect to net you special reward items. there are even hidden quest npcs that you can find in random parts of the map that may reward you differently than if you follow the standard linear quest line.

- Alternate ways to level. can level doing pvp, solo questing, rifting, or just killing monsters. not so exciting but at least you arent forced to do one thing to level, like most other games.

- lots of carrots. lot of incentive to do things like dungeon raid, pvp, craft, or hunt rifts, since you get money or tokens you can use towards gear and the like.

-graphics are really good. animations however, are hit or miss. tutorial town graphics are terrible, but once you get out in the open more you will slowly realize that the world and monsters are awe-inspiring.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Pookie666Pookie666 Member Posts: 33

I was a die-hard EQ2 vet for years...asbolutely loved it. Having said that, I must say that like all things you need some fresh things and ideas which EQ2 was lacking over time. For Rift, I'm only at level 13, but I must say that I like what I see so far. It's been a long time since I had that good "buzz" from a new game. The game runs nicely, graphics are nice and I already get the sense of strong team-play going on.

Should you jump?This is what I tell myself when I want to try a new game (assuming you can afford it). Go for it, give yourself a 3 month subscription and at the end play it if you still like it. If not go back to EQ2 or whatever game. You'll get a ton of opinions but in the end you have to like it.

Pook

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Just go through the threads that are on this forum. Everythign has already been written.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Pookie666

I was a die-hard EQ2 vet for years...asbolutely loved it. Having said that, I must say that like all things you need some fresh things and ideas which EQ2 was lacking over time. For Rift, I'm only at level 13, but I must say that I like what I see so far. It's been a long time since I had that good "buzz" from a new game. The game runs nicely, graphics are nice and I already get the sense of strong team-play going on.

Should you jump?This is what I tell myself when I want to try a new game (assuming you can afford it). Go for it, give yourself a 3 month subscription and at the end play it if you still like it. If not go back to EQ2 or whatever game. You'll get a ton of opinions but in the end you have to like it.

Pook

I agree with that. I'm a sandbox player, but Rift succesfully captured me I don't know how. I don't know how long it will last, but I was surprized to see that I prefer the content of rift than the one of Fallen Earth..

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

Rift is a balanced mix of WoW, EQ2 and WAR, took many good things from those 3, added a little bit of its own flavour. I'd say it's fairly simple, if you're not bored already with this style of game and want a new setting, new atmosphere, new start then definitely go for Rift because it's a very well done game. But if you stopped playing those 3 games because you can't take anymore of this type of gameplay, then don't buy Rift, because there won't be anything that new that will make you keep playing it.

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Wish you had particiated in the open betas OP, it would have made your choice much easier, one way or the other. Now it's a gamble. I just hope that if you do take the leap, we won't see you in ten days form now raging about how the game did not satisfy your innermost fantacies.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

For me, with AoC, Aion, WAR and FFXIV, with in the first few days I realized "woops, going to be some major problems here". All those games seemed interesting in Open Beta, though there were varying degrees of problems evident even then. I got a few months out of Aion and WAR, despite some serious flaws. Less than the full month out of AoC and FFXIV.

With Rift, I'm not having any of the misgivings or experiencing any of the warning bells I had with those four titles. Not perfect, but 56 hours /played and I'm still having a lot of fun and I continue to be impressed with the game. The Soul system is a real boon for players and allows a lot of freedom in creating the class you want to play. The multiple roles and fairly cheap respecs make it easy to try something else, if you aren't quite happy with your current build.

I was so/so on the level 25-30 zone, but otherwise I've really liked what I've seen of the world so far and there is plenty left to explore. (I'm level 32 and have only been to less than a third of the zones in game and haven't touched any dungeons yet). I personally think that Gloamwood, the Guardian 20-25 zone, is one of the best zones I've played in any MMO. They've done a great job of fitting a lot of content in each square kilometer, while still maintaining an organic feel to the environment. Kudos there.

The game also rewards exploration. There are artifact collections to find and assemble. (Similar to the collections in EQ2). You turn in complete collections for a special currency, which can be spent on vanity pets and other vanity items. There are also "easter eggs" in hard to find areas of each zone. Some burial carns that can hold a rare or epic appropriate for your class, (but you can only get something good from any particular spot the first time you find it). Some environmental puzzles with similar levels of rewards. (I found a wooden fence maze up in some mountains and had to get to a bubby rabbit in the maze, then shoo it through the maze to freedom. Epic level weapon and the title "Hare Brained" for the effort, plus some gold). Also many hidden Lair about in each map. Some small caves, others more extensive.

The crafting looks pretty basic at first glance, but they have some interesting wrinkles. Daily crafting quests for guild coins, which you use to buy special recipes. Crafting related quest items you can find out in the environment. The ability to salvage items for mats, most of which are their own class of mat with in your profession with their own specific recipes. You also have the ability to enhance crafting recipes with enhancements you get from Rifts.

Character customization is better than most games from a few years ago, but behind some of the more recent games that have pushed the envelope. Armor looks for a particular level range is limited. Usually at least two looks commonly available at any given level for each calling. However, there is a pretty good armor dying system in game and you can make yourself distinct from others fairly inexpensively.

The Rifts themselves are fun. However, the novelty can wear off. Fortunately, the rewards make participation worth while. Also, for the most part, if you pay attention to the environment, you can usually bypass Rifts and even lesser invasions and go about questing/gathering/grinding with little disruption, if you decide to pass on the Rifts during your play session. The invasions are great because they add an element of danger and surprise to the normal routine of traveling the roads of the world. If you aren't careful when enemy forces are on the move, you might get steamrolled. (However, if you are paying attention, you can usually pop off the road in time).

I feel very confident I will get at least a couple hundred play hours from Rift, hopefully more.

I can't stress enough how great the Soul system is, though. It's not uncommon for me, when playing a new MMO, to have to try a few characters out, to find something fun to play that fits my style. With Rift, I have been able to completely change the type of Rogue I play, with out having to start over with a new character. You can even store up to four different "Roles" and swap between them anywhere, outside of combat. Each role remembers it's hotbar set up, so no need to rearrange things when you switch. I'm almost certain I will make it to the cap (level 50) with my main character, before touching an Alt, which is unheard of for me.

The system gives the freedom to somewhat gimp yourself, or create a class you may not find you enjoy playing, but it also makes it easy to customize your class and make changes as you go. As you learn what you like/ don't like and what works well with what, you can continue to fine tune the character to your play style. To me, that's the high point on top of the rest of a good to excellent quality title.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

If you enjoy EQ2 you will love Rift... Get it...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Hi all,

I expect the PVE to be a lot of fun (judging after reading the preview). I dont know how crafting compares with EQ2 crafting though. And I wasnt able to find if Rift has a mentoring system like EQ2. For me, this is one of my main requirements for gear based MMOs with high max lvl.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Play Rift now, play EQ2 when/if Velious gets "finished".

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Hi all,

If you like the housing and the crafting (if you spend lots of times doing that, like i use to) then rift will be kinda boring without the nice crafting system.

But i am also playing it........and my oppinion as an old school RPlayer:

If you are looking for a good time without in depth crafting, lore or housing then try it.

The game itself is nice to play.

but remember its not the everquest community (witch is i mho the best community ever outside UO).

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Sovrath

Just go through the threads that are on this forum. Everythign has already been written.

this, i mean majority of people cant be bothered to search answers already been disgussed millions of times, they just be selfish and lazy and excpet to have personal service from others who done the work.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

If you like EQ 2 but are bored of it then I would say get Rift as it is the same type of MMO. However if you are still not bored of EQ 2 I dont see much reason to move to Rift.

If you are sick and tired of EQ 2 type games then stay away from Rift altogether.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    I have a CE of Rift and Velious. Actually, I'm playing more Velious though, maybe, because the leveling part in Rift isnt that funny.
  • TheFarseerTheFarseer Member Posts: 97

I'll tell you why I'm playing Rift.

This morning, just after I got up, I jumped on Rift for a quick go. There was a planar invasion going on, which means metric shit tonnes of rifts and mobs spawn and you have to defend towns and cities.

This one was an earth invasion, which meant golems, giant trolls, elemental scorpions, all that jazz.

There were only a few of us at this town, about three, waiting for some others to get there and holding off dribs and drabs of attacks.

Then, suddenly. "A wardstone has fallen, a wardstone has fallen, a wardstone has fallen". The Guardians (I'm Defiant, they're the opposite faction) had absolutely failed at defending their wardstones! I hadn't explored that part of the map, yet, so all I saw was this ARMY of elite and semi-elite mobs marching out of the fog on my map.

Just watching as 30 or so enemies come over the hill and start marching into town is immense. I play a tank, so I used one of my ascended powers (which makes planar enemies do less damage to me and me do more to them) and pulled them all onto me. I didn't need much healing, so the other two guys were doing as much AoE damage as they possibly could.

We DESTROYED them. Three of us versus thirty of them.

And then more came.

We were all on our last bits of health trying to hold these guys from the wardstone when the cavalry had came in. A bunch of guys who'd been clearing rifts in the south part of the zone had came to check out how we were doing and managed to save us at the last minute.

The boss of the invasion spawned (a giant rock ant-thing) and I took up tanking it. It was down to about half health when a raid of guardians came in and started trying to kill us. The DPS pulled off the boss, targetted their healers and devastated them. Only a few stragglers came back after that. :)

Took the boss down and got a cool blue shard for my efforts, along with about 100 planarite. During the entire invasion, I'd gain almost 1k planarite, a shit tonne of blues and greens and a lot of artifacts to sell. It's made me a few platinum, at least.

It was amazing, fun AND rewarding. I'm not even max level and I'm still having a lot of fun. That should tell you enough about the game.

Also:

Defiants: Outnumbered, outgunned and outmatched.

And still...

FUCKING...

WINNING!

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of EQ2. It was my favourite game for a long time and I still look at it with love.

If you buy the Rift you will get a bang for you buck. I think you will have lots of fun in this game.

Peace and happy gaming.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Seriously? You couldnt take the time out, like the rest of us, to get  the total low down? You want everyone to lump it all together because you cant do it on your own? By now you should have bought the game.

Lazy lazy lazy and whats up with those people that spent all that time typing in the info in this post ( And the 700 others)? The OP wont be thanking you any time soon.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you care only about PvE, I would say RIFT has only a very very small fraction of what's in EQ2. This means a much smaller amount of quests/dungeons/raids (this is understandable as it is a new game and EQ2 is quite an old one).

However, EQ2 has much more stuff to do.

- Quests - obviously both have these but RIFT doesn't have that many types of quests in it.

- Rifts - this is the selling point of the game. Random events all over the place. Basically mobs spawn somewhere and they try to pawn you.

- Crafting - RIFT has very basic crafting compared to EQ2

- Housing - RIFT doesn't even have housing. EQ2 has one of the best housing systems -_-

- Fluff - not nearly enough in RIFT if any. If you are into the whole vanity stuff I don't know if RIFT really fits the bill.

For a PvE player like me RIFT felt very basic compared to EQ2. Rifts is the only cool thing going about RIFT PvE and where the game got its name obviously.

If you like WoW you can try RIFT. In my opinion WoW is superior though. Even if WoW and RIFT launched at the same time WoW would've been much much better experience than RIFT. RIFT doesn't even have the size of WoW at launch. Fewer zones, fewer quests, fewer dungeons. Not sure about raids though. I hear they have only 1 real raid which is the same as WoW which had Moulten core. Although Onyxia's lair was technically a raid but with only 1 boss.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TheFarseerTheFarseer Member Posts: 97

fiv: Some of that's true, but it's hard to compare PvE with a game that's been out for YEARS. Rift has a decent amount of PvE at the minute, and that's all that matters. :p

I do wish they'd implement housing, though. :(

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that older games are usually top heavy, so it's harder to do some of the content as a new player.