Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I play Rift solo with my three friends in ventrillo

mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

I play Rift solo with my three friends in ventrillo.  We want to play together but grouping would slow our leveling.  We join ventrillo daily but never play together which has been par for the course in each of the previous MMO's we have purchased.  I really would enjoy playing with my friends but these types of games penalize you for grouping.  Rift is no differen't when it comes to grouping which is a let down for me personally but I continued to push myself solo.

I love my class it truly is the best I've played in online games but on day three I uninstalled.  As many of you know I love PVE and Rift offers this in a nice amount.  I think the game would be better if it didn't have rifts because the rifts tilt me towards PVE overdose.  They are a nuiscance while I PVE because they kill my quest mobs and they are so numerous that this can cause  problems while questing.  When I see a rift I move towards it and join a public group without talking to anyone and they do the same while we kill the tornado looking thing.  I don't kill it because its cool or fun but to get rid of it so I can continue my quests in the area.

The soul tree system is cumbersome and has two too many trees that you must filter through.  I understand the concept but it just becomes tiresome and forces me to read through unnecessary skills decifering what the one tree was supposed to be from the three.  If you want to PVP in this game you will quickly understand what I just typed and start asking yourself why did they do this?

Rift is a decent game but after making it to level 32 I uninstalled.

Comments

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

"I really would enjoy playing with my friends but these types of games penalize you for grouping.  Rift is no differen't when it comes to grouping which is a let down for me personally but I continued to push myself solo."

How so considering you can grind mobs far easily when grouped have gone through kill quests which have taken 20 minutes in beta to getting them done in just 5 mins as a group and you still the same xp reward for finishing a quest. Plus the game has instances and BG which can easily be done with 4 people. Compared to WAR or DF this game is much better option for you and your 3 friends to play as a group IMO.

"The soul tree system is cumbersome and has two too many trees that you must filter through.  I understand the concept but it just becomes tiresome and forces me to read through unnecessary skills decifering what the one tree was supposed to be from the three.  If you want to PVP in this game you will quickly understand what I just typed and start asking yourself why did they do this?"

So you just want skills to be handed down to you since you don't want to read tool tips :p

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

So you are level 32 and lauch day is today?    That is pretty fast indeed.

If I were someone who wanted to play an MMO with friends I would do that, even if it slowed leveling, thats what I do generally anyway.  Quest together or dungeon grind and in Rift you can Rift hop together and get exp that way.

Why is it a race, why not a journey?

I think if you guys played together and weren't trying to get to max level as fast as you could but just enjoyed playing together... you'd have a much better experience.

Originally posted by Elidien

Wow so after 32 levels you quit because of the TWO DEFINING characteristics of the game?

Wow, really, I am almost speechless.

Funny thing about his argument is that he notes he doesn't read tool tips for skills but he has played WAR which also talent tree system. IMO it sounds like another troll.

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I apologize, I have been playing since the 24th of February.

• KingdouglasKingdouglas Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Darkheart00

Wow so after 32 levels you quit because of the TWO DEFINING characteristics of the game?

Funny thing about his argument is that he notes he doesn't read tool tips for skills but he has played WAR which also talent tree system. IMO it sounds like another troll.

I'm sure everybody who dislikes features in Rift are secret troll agents! :)

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by mmoluva

I play Rift solo with my three friends in ventrillo.  We want to play together but grouping would slow our leveling.  We join ventrillo daily but never play together which has been par for the course in each of the previous MMO's we have purchased.  I really would enjoy playing with my friends but these types of games penalize you for grouping.  Rift is no differen't when it comes to grouping which is a let down for me personally but I continued to push myself solo.

I love my class it truly is the best I've played in online games but on day three I uninstalled.  As many of you know I love PVE and Rift offers this in a nice amount.  I think the game would be better if it didn't have rifts because the rifts tilt me towards PVE overdose.  They are a nuiscance while I PVE because they kill my quest mobs and they are so numerous that this can cause  problems while questing.  When I see a rift I move towards it and join a public group without talking to anyone and they do the same while we kill the tornado looking thing.  I don't kill it because its cool or fun but to get rid of it so I can continue my quests in the area.

The soul tree system is cumbersome and has two too many trees that you must filter through.  I understand the concept but it just becomes tiresome and forces me to read through unnecessary skills decifering what the one tree was supposed to be from the three.  If you want to PVP in this game you will quickly understand what I just typed and start asking yourself why did they do this?

Rift is a decent game but after making it to level 32 I uninstalled.

I am confused.  It's your choice to solo or not.  I'll give you an example that happened to me a hundred times this weekend.

You have a quest to go kill bad guy.  You get to bad guy.  Someone is there killing bad guy.  I click on the other player and if they are available for grouping (which they are most of the time) I auto join with them.  I help kill bad guy.  My quest updates.  I wave to the stranger.  Stranger waves back and I drop group and go on merry way. 

That is 4-5 days...

That is really fast...  even by WoW standards.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Lmao.... I have nothing to say other than I am enjoying RIFT and will be for a long time, I say about 7 months added with new content xpacs etc, with that I will be enjoying for more than a year.

Originally posted by Kingdouglas

Well he said he hit lv 32 in 3 days of play time (highest lvl we had in sunday in our guild was lv 30 and he played closed to non stop), i played quite a lot and done instances and i just hit 30.

Well he said he hit lv 32 in 3 days of play time (highest lvl we had in sunday in our guild was lv 30 and he played closed to non stop), i played quite a lot and done instances and i just hit 30.

Yeah so couldn't he just group with friends and be like level 25 instead?   Seems like that'd be more fun

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Great to hear from you again, mmoluva!

Sorry to find out that you have obviously given up on your great swimming marathon in Darkfall. But, it sounds like you gave Rift a good go as you made it to such a high level (higher than I was able to make it).

Good luck in your ongoing mission to find an mmo home ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I honestly have to disagree. I don't see what you mean by being penalized for grouping. You get quests done faster and as a result, more EXP. EXP earned from quests isn't shared among group members, too. Also, let's not forget instances where grouping is necessary and you get a great deal of XP from them. If grouping is that big of an issue for you, Pick up FFXI. *shrug*.

And I'm honestly left scratching my head that you find reading skills to be tiresome. This is especially surprising given all the time you've spent in Darkfall, a game where you basically have a skill for everything, save going to the bathroom.

I'm agreeing with the person above with regards to your post.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • gnomemorepvpgnomemorepvp Member Posts: 3

Well he said he hit lv 32 in 3 days of play time (highest lvl we had in sunday in our guild was lv 30 and he played closed to non stop), i played quite a lot and done i00nstances and i just hit 30.

So after days of playing nonstop, hating the class system which he either didn't read or didn't like reading, and hating Rifts, he decided he hated the game. And all the while having to deal with the two things that he hated and for 32 levels of nonstop play.

It just does not make sense to me. I am all for people not liking Rift and that's fine but to come up with such a story and such reasosn that do not make sense leads me to think its a troll post trying to come off as a "review".

Playing nonstop? This guy has a point...I SOLOED to 35. I only play 4 hours a day. You get so much less exp for  grouping. I never did a rift in my life. Quests all day everyday solo. Grouping DOES hurt you. He isnt trolling. Most games are like this. I also have a couple friends i play with, in teamspeak anyway, they are almost level 30 themselves. Leveling is easy, as long as you dont group. When i solo i get 480+ exp per kill for one mob. I have to kill 20 mobs to complete the quest...its way better exp than turning in the quest.  Cheers

Former Raid Leader of the Arctic Wolves on Dragonblight server. World of Warcraft

Originally posted by gnomemorepvp

Well he said he hit lv 32 in 3 days of play time (highest lvl we had in sunday in our guild was lv 30 and he played closed to non stop), i played quite a lot and done i00nstances and i just hit 30.

So after days of playing nonstop, hating the class system which he either didn't read or didn't like reading, and hating Rifts, he decided he hated the game. And all the while having to deal with the two things that he hated and for 32 levels of nonstop play.

It just does not make sense to me. I am all for people not liking Rift and that's fine but to come up with such a story and such reasosn that do not make sense leads me to think its a troll post trying to come off as a "review".

Playing nonstop? This guy has a point...I SOLOED to 35. I only play 4 hours a day. You get so much less exp for  grouping. I never did a rift in my life. Quests all day everyday solo. Grouping DOES hurt you. He isnt trolling. Most games are like this. I also have a couple friends i play with, in teamspeak anyway, they are almost level 30 themselves. Leveling is easy, as long as you dont group. When i solo i get 480+ exp per kill for one mob. I have to kill 20 mobs to complete the quest...its way better exp than turning in the quest.  Cheers

I see you edited your post, most likely in response to mine above, but I caught it none the less. You are looking at numbers, but not looking at time. If you take those same 20 enemies and kill them by yourself the EXP per hour would roughly be the same as if you were in a group of 3 knocking out the quests. The only difference is the person soloing would take LONGER to get the quest completed than the people in groups of 3, but the end result is they would level roughly the same BECAUSE of the difference in XP gained per mob.

It's not about "Instant XP" but "XP per hour" and you guys aren't seeing the trees for the forest.

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

I see you edited your post, most likely in response to mine above, but I caught it none the less. You are looking at numbers, but not looking at time. If you take those same 20 enemies and kill them by yourself the EXP per hour would roughly be the same as if you were in a group of 3 knocking out the quests. The only difference is the person soloing would take LONGER to get the quest completed than the people in groups of 3, but the end result is they would level roughly the same BECAUSE of the difference in XP gained per mob.

It's not about "Instant XP" but "XP per hour" and you guys aren't seeing the trees for the forest.

I rest my case, this is the problem with MMOs lately, everyone giving a crap about how the quickest way to get xp is. Damn I can t wait for a game that actually takes time and challenge, not just number crunching to be the fastest or best.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

All you do is quest? no wonder we be invaded harshly and have to deal with 100s of mobs to save our land lmao stop avoiding the damn RIFTs. I am level 25 now and been playing for 2days while taking care of my 3 week old lil girl, I get all my exp from questing, rifts and defending towns from waves of mobs while grouping, yes I get involve it's the principle to do so.

• gnomemorepvpgnomemorepvp Member Posts: 3

Have fun grouping, when you knock out all the quests for the zone in 2 hours and youre standing around looking at your friends wondering what to do next, you will see why you should NEVER group. You 100% for sure get more exp for soloing. You complete your quests faster, but you also run out of them faster. Ill see you at 50, tomorrow.

Former Raid Leader of the Arctic Wolves on Dragonblight server. World of Warcraft

QFT

I mean really if that is the complaint that you want to group and you can't I really think if you thought about it, the fact that max level is 50, not 85, 90, 80 or what ever level cap most other games are now, and you are already half way through the game after 4 days tells me you could afford to group up with friends, slow down, and enjoy each others company without really hindering your leveling experience.

Originally posted by Soki123

I rest my case, this is the problem with MMOs lately, everyone giving a crap about how the quickest way to get xp is. Damn I can t wait for a game that actually takes time and challenge, not just number crunching to be the fastest or best.

I have no idea what you're talking about. When I play MMORPGs I don't play to crunch numbers. I play to have fun. I posted this in response to mmoluva's views that grouping is detrimental to the game. Also, how a person spends his or her time and what he or she finds challenging is completely different from person to person.

And LASTLY (Even though it has zero relevence to this post)  if you want a challenge, play EVE or some other game where it takes millions of skill points just to get 1 level in a skill.

imageimageimage
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

The endgame of rift will probobly be 100% goup content.

Many games have made the mistake to force you grouping even at low level wich is bad for new players when game grows old.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

What is the point of solo playing in a mmo ?? There are great single games dude....

I just don´t understand your post at all...

Maybe if you try playing with other people u have more fun......

Public grouping is one of the bests things in Rift.

I am loving the game in every aspect.

• MaximumStompMaximumStomp Member Posts: 4

Have fun grouping, when you knock out all the quests for the zone in 2 hours and youre standing around looking at your friends wondering what to do next, you will see why you should NEVER group. You 100% for sure get more exp for soloing. You complete your quests faster, but you also run out of them faster. Ill see you at 50, tomorrow.

I was grouping for the first 15 or so levels of my Rift experience but then i realized that what you say is pretty much true, just like it is in most other MMOs. Soloing is the quickest and easiest way to level up.

Beside the technical aspects of XP splitting and thiings of that nature, you have to take into account the inneficiency of grouping with other players. When your healer's mom is yelling at him to take the garbage out while he is still getting XP, you are losing out.

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

I play Rift solo with my three friends in ventrillo.  We want to play together but grouping would slow our leveling.

I really hear you. And exactly the same for me has happened in WoW, Aion, WAR... etc. I play with my friends on teamspeak, everyone leveling alone. All the games who use an open world quest grind leveling have the same issue : those quests are calibrated to be soloed, and even if you can duo or trio them it's sub optimal and you lose time redoing quests you have already done, or waiting for people to catch you. Of course there are dungeons you can do together, but they're not the majority of the leveling content and most of the time you'll be solo.

I didnt have this issue in CoH, or DDO for example, because they're more team centric games, much more instanced also.

But it seems that the majority like open world solo questing when it comes to MMOs nowadays and devs listen to them. So we all end up playing alone together :)

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

I always find it strange people like to solo in MMO's. What happened to socializing and communicating with people and playing together. That's the whole basis of Massive Multiplaying Online. You do it with others. Want to do things by yourself. Be better off wasting money on single player games.

Cause honestly all people are doing is playing Diablo with a 15 dollar a month fee.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• nankoeknankoek Member UncommonPosts: 17

Have to agree with the sonic person above.

especially the last post <3