Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i want back my beloved SPELLBORN!.. hell it was simply the best

Comments

• xbot7xbot7 Member Posts: 112

i see.. there are so many peopel who want to go back into theis very deeep world.

every single word or name we hear.. "open the wounds".. 

dont think many other worlds (aka "games") could do that.

thank u all spellborn lovers, for thinking this way!!

yours.

xbot7

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Meh it was good...

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

The sound design alone was reason enough to play TCOS. It was so amazingly atmospheric. I really hope it's revived and gets the attention it deserves.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

The quests were fun I liked the combat and skill system alot. I had been part of the original forums and still remember fighting back and forth with some other guys over what kind of pvp or pve systems the game would have. Overall I like the atmosphere and player maturity so much I would have lived with whatever to be honest. I simply refuse to go back to any kind of WOWish themepark and am determined to find something similar in spirit to this game in the future. Sort of interested in where the old Spellborn players will go, I don't see them going to a WOW clone like Rift or AION and such, since the non gear grind was a merrit and a draw to the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Spellborn had some great ideas but it had just too little content. Some more races, a lot of more quests and zones and some improvement on the combat system should have been in the game.

The combat system had some good ideas but it felt like they never finnished it to me.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Can't forget the art style/direction. It certainly did have a very unique look to it.

This game, Earth & Beyond, and Tabula Rasa truly were killed before they should have been.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I think the art style was possibly my favorite part about the game.  The combat was based on a great idea,  I just really did NOT like the execution,  and it really killed the game for me.   I think a little more refinement would have made this game a winner.  

I definitely miss Tabula Rasa more though.. I would have gone back to that game every so often.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

TCOS had alot of  flaws but it was hands down the most immersive game i have ever played. I was actually excited about the lore and loved questing. It actually opened my eyes to how important lore is in a game. It made me leanr one of the big reasons I cant play WoW is b/c i could care less about the lore and world. WoW to me is as immersive as Farmville.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Can't forget the art style/direction. It certainly did have a very unique look to it.

This game, Earth & Beyond, and Tabula Rasa truly were killed before they should have been.

Agreed. The music was also very good.

But the game should have had another year ibn development to make enough content, or it should have been F2P at launch. There were just not enough to do to justify 15 bucks a month and that is the problem, together with the idea of putting Brits and Yanks together on the same server, that splitted up European guilds.

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

I thought they were gonna make it F2P with a CS.  what happened to that?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Snailtrail

I saw the whole spellborn fiasco as more or less a foreign publisher keeping a dutch development company out of the market.  I neither dutch, nor  from whatever asian country Acclaim is.

It was a good game, it was uniqe, and it could have survived as a niche game.  But acclaim wanted the source code and killed the game when it wasnt going to be given up without a fight.  At least thats how i remember it all going down.  Feel free to correct me on any of this, it was a while ago since i played.

That's not what true at all.

TCoS was being published through 3 different publishers (Frogster, Mindscape and Acclaim). Soon after launch, Spellborn Interactive went bankrupt. The rights over TCoS was sold to Korean-based (or Chinese-based, not sure) company who decided to change it's model for a F2P one. Meanwhile, Acclaim decide to open it's servers for Free (it used to be a subscription game) and has remained open for over a year.  Around that time, Acclaim and Playdom were in negotiation which led to Playdom buying Acclaim to work on facebook games I believe. Acclaim closed TCoS and shutted down all of their other MMOs 2 months later I believe.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

I really enjoyed the world - it's immersiveness, the atmospheric music, the art style. A different combat system. Not worrying about statted gear. It just never reached a large audience, and the multiple publishers with their IP blocking didn't help at all.

My favourite was the Athenaeum shard - the run up the mountian with the etherial music and the vista back towards the port from high above.

I'd go back if they find a way to re-launch it.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Dang, I was actually thinking of playing his one again to see if it had evolved any. It had something, there were just not enough people playing it.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• fatenabu1fatenabu1 Member Posts: 381

I miss this game so much :( I wish another publisher would pick it up...

Dustin

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Karahandras

Originally posted by Snailtrail

I saw the whole spellborn fiasco as more or less a foreign publisher keeping a dutch development company out of the market.  I neither dutch, nor  from whatever asian country Acclaim is.

It was a good game, it was uniqe, and it could have survived as a niche game.  But acclaim wanted the source code and killed the game when it wasnt going to be given up without a fight.  At least thats how i remember it all going down.  Feel free to correct me on any of this, it was a while ago since i played.

Acclaim is a U.S. company.

Was. As far as I known Acclaim has gone under.  They are no longer hosting the games they had before. I suspect CoS is down for the count, unless some other company buys it.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Yaruna

Dang, I was actually thinking of playing his one again to see if it had evolved any. It had something, there were just not enough people playing it.

It didn't have enough content either. It did have a great athmosphere, that gothic dark thing with a pinch of steampunk but the game never had the budget it needed.

4 times so much content and some further evolution of the combat system and it probably would have done a lot better. In the shape it released it should have been a B2P game like Guildwars instead, but it just wasn't big enough to cough up 15 quids a month for.

• JoibestJoibest Member Posts: 12

Joeous here for anybody who remembers my beta character. 

hint* There was a statue of myself in the pre-release built of the game.  

I do miss it like crazy. Best mmorpg I have ever played. A shame really.

PS. Does the battle in GuildWars2 video remind you a bit of the combat in Spellborn? Just checking...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Yaruna

It didn't have enough content either. It did have a great athmosphere, that gothic dark thing with a pinch of steampunk but the game never had the budget it needed.

4 times so much content and some further evolution of the combat system and it probably would have done a lot better. In the shape it released it should have been a B2P game like Guildwars instead, but it just wasn't big enough to cough up 15 quids a month for.

Still tho... they had more content than most so called Tripple A titles that released the past couple years and are still around.

Spellborn had the bad luck that they went to bed with the wrong kind of publishers who screwed them over royally and run them into the ground, then snatched up the game for a pocket fee and rework it in Asia as a F2P title.

As the whole region splitting (even Europe countries themselves being split up), including IP bans is what killed this game even before it launched! 

A damn shame! As it had a very large and loyal fanbase during Beta.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

I miss this game so much. Anything new from the publishers front? I read somewhere that they plan to relaunch Spellborn as a F2P-MMO in Asia in 2011.

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Gameplay wasnt too bad but one of the worst performing games I ever played, unaccepatable considering the average graphics.

Average graphics? The Spellborn art style is really, really unique and gorgeous, making the game one of the best looking MMOs out there.. only the character models looked ugly.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I personally thought Spellborn was fairly mediocre.

- Visuals were so-so, even on highest settings.

- Lore felt like it was rushed.

- Innovative ideas, but failed execution of those ideas.

- Lackluster character customization options.

- Poor selection of character races.

- Not much content to keep players occupied.

- Very basic and clunky user interface.

And on and on and on...

Definitely was not a game I enjoyed, each time I tried it I ended up uninstalling quicker than the previous time.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Chronicles of Spellborn was a great game, and I was looking forward to Acclaim rebooting it. 

That being said, it needs to stop bankrupting its developers.

• Couldn't agree more. I loved TCoS and really hope it makes a comeback. Same with Tabula Rasa; it had its' issues, but I still enjoyed it.