Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Success rate of RIFT

ZorlokZorlok Member UncommonPosts: 132

Most of the [ast AAA releases, from the time of WoW, haven't been very successful.  However, this release feels a little different.  I'm not sure what it is, but I feel this will be more successful than previous titles.  Is it the marketing? Is it the polished release?  I mean, it seems this is more successful than other titles.  What do you all think? 

Comments

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

It's a fun MMO but only time will tell. Personally, I hope the game does well.

• ZorlokZorlok Member UncommonPosts: 132

Im wondering why the release seems better.  It could be me, but it seems to be going much better than previous MMO releases. 

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106

Well, I sure hope it is successful, I love the game. But I get nervous with how quickly some are getting to lvl 50..

Originally posted by cybrinsanity

Well, I sure hope it is successful, I love the game. But I get nervous with how quickly some are getting to lvl 50..

Well, what I think will happen, at least in the near future, TRION will soon slow down leveling.  It does seem a little fast, and if people start copmlaining about it, and more content is added, they will slow down the process either by lowerinf XP from mobs, ot making lvels farther appart with more xp...

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Zorlok

Most of the [ast AAA releases, from the time of WoW, haven't been very successful.  However, this release feels a little different.  I'm not sure what it is, but I feel this will be more successful than previous titles.  Is it the marketing? Is it the polished release?  I mean, it seems this is more successful than other titles.  What do you all think? 

Has the same atmosphere as the Aion release.

Time will be the best judge.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

meh. The game is nothing special. It most likely won't fail but I don't see it being majorly succesful.

It does have the same atmosphere as Aion. But two different styles they are.. Aion has more of an "Eastern" style of graphics and Rift has more of a "Western" approach to graphics and animation.  Who knows.. People really do take that into consideration when playing an MMO now.  Shoot.  There are so many choices to make now.  I remember that wasn't the case a decade, or even longer, ago.  Here is an MMO. Now play it.  Beggers couldn't be choosers.  Now they can be..

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Its the simplicity of the issue that makes it successful rigth now. Its in headstart, but does anyone actually feel like they are pre-release right now? Doubtful. Most everyone i know playing already feels like they have been playing for months and the game has been up and running for years. Thats what makes it all work. Its how it feels when your playing it, like its been your routine for ever.

• BrawlkingBrawlking Member Posts: 57

The game didnt seem to have anything special when I played, nothing that made me want to switch from the games I currently play. Anything that was in that game I can get in another game that I'm already playing.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

* The game just works. All the features that are in there, work and don't do anything you don't expect them to in an unpleasant manner.

* There are a lot of different things to do. All the things you can do are pretty much available in other mmorpg, but with Rift, it's all in one game. If they add RvR then it will all be in one game. No need to switch games to do different things.

* All those things to do, while simple (like crafting) have just a little more depth compared to the same things in other games.

* Trion has been very responsive and quick to make what appear to be positive changes to the game based on community input. The changes are made quickly, and again, they work.

* The game is easy to play. You don't necessarily have to be a wiz with spreadsheets and you don't have to be uber knowledgeable about Rift and character classes to play the game and have fun. You can just kind of run amok and do just fine.

That's what I think anyway. I don't know if it'll have staying power, depends on how much there is to do at level 50 and if the game boils down to one activity. For instance, in WoW, you raid, and that's pretty much it. You can do other stuff, but it all supports and leads to raiding. If you do arena, it's kind of the same thing, but with PvP. All the PvP you do leads to or supports doing Arenas. Hopefully Rift will have as much variety at end game as it does in the lower levels.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I'm waiting to see what happens.  A lot of MMOs seem like they will be successful at first, but a few months down the line, not so much.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I like the game. It's fun and the class system is ingenious. However, it's super linear. What that means is people will have a blast till cap. When they reach cap the true test of the game will take place. Rolling alts in this game will get boring faster. I've seen it before, everyone races to cap, then have to wait for the majority to catch up. In the waiting they lose interest in the game. I sincerely hope this game succeds. More choices equals more fun. I'll be sitting the start out of this game. In 3 months we'll see what's what.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by monarc333
    I like the game. It's fun and the class system is ingenious. However, it's super linear. What that means is people will have a blast till cap. When they reach cap the true test of the game will take place. Rolling alts in this game will get boring faster. I've seen it before, everyone races to cap, then have to wait for the majority to catch up. In the waiting they lose interest in the game. I sincerely hope this game succeds. More choices equals more fun. I'll be sitting the start out of this game. In 3 months we'll see what's what.

I've already rolled 4, but not to do a different character, to get on a server with no queue time. :-) Getting to about level 17 takes almost no time at all.

* edit *
    ACK! And now there's a queue on the latest server I've rolled on. Luckily this one is only 12 minutes.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I can't see Rift being much more than a 30-day wonder. At first blush, it's interesting enough, that is, until you start discovering that the game is very linear and you quickly find yourself on the well-worn rotation of quests, rifts, and instances. Crafting, which could have given people more to do has been pretty well gutted, I'm guessing so that you'll be pushed to farm Favor (or whatever they're calling Reputation) to get the more interesting recipes. Apothecaries, at present, are a joke.

Rolling alts is tedious as well, especially knowing that you'll be playing the same content over and over. What the game gains in being technologically sound is far overshadowed by the sense that Trion has really very little in the way of creative talent. Rift is for playing "toons" that you'll likely not become attached to. Telara wears thin very quickly.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by Zorlok

Well, because it's such a well polished title and is released long enough after Cataclysm and all other theme-park games have had a chance to be beaten to death, I think this game will succeed on the short-term. I say short-term, because there's only one starting area and as far as I know at lvl 19, only one quest line to follow to max level. So replayability is a problem. So I can imagine that those people who enjoy theme-park games and RIFT in particular, will at least sub for 3 months or however long it takes to finish all of the content. After that, most will probably leave for a new release or their previous favorite.

As for myself, I'll probably stick with it until I beat all the content, because I couldn't imagine redoing all the same quests on another character, regardless if the playstyle of the class I play would be different. But who knows, maybe I'll reroll on the opposite faction to play through that story, but it's not likely.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by Brawlking

The game didnt seem to have anything special when I played, nothing that made me want to switch from the games I currently play. Anything that was in that game I can get in another game that I'm already playing.

Yet there are those that are bored with the other games and want something new to play, and that doesn't mean new gameplay. RIFT offers the same gameplay people are used to, in a different setting. That doesn't mean people will stick with it for the long-term, only that people will likely stick with it until they exhaust all the content.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

It's the first ready-to-go polished viable alternative to WoW.

One thing I'm a little afraid of is that Rift might cement the idea that Wow or Wow-like game = success.

I like Rift, and I liked playing WoW, but I also like variety and games that try new things.

One thing I am thankful for is it should convey the idea that releasing a game when it's ready after lots of testing and adjusting to what customers want is a really good idea if you want to make a lot of money.

So basically I'm hoping Devs see the "polish" part of the equation more than the "WoW" part of the equation.