Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your First MMO Love

fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I think that for pretty much everyone their first MMO is an amazing experience, something which they try to compare all the other MMOs to.

The question of this poll is whether you think people believe that their first MMO is the greatest and the best and they will always compare other MMOs to it, and will look back with nostalgia - the same way we do with our first love in real life?

For the sake of clarity, I will define the term first MMO :) By first MMO I don't mean the one you tried first. I mean the one you really got into. I played UO first for about a month and I never got into it. Same thing happened with my second MMO - EQ. My third MMO, WoW, was the one I really got into it. So I would be using WoW as my first MMO and not UO.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

No way.

First of all, I'm still waiting for the perfect MMO. Come on, give it to me.

Second of all, best MMO I've played so far was Vanguard - and that was NOT my first MMO.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I started out in the genre with the launch of WoW. While I truly enjoyed the time that I spent in that game, it was certainly not the best mmo I've had the pleasure of playing. But, good memories nonetheless.

I didn't really "fall" for an mmo until I met my third one: EVE. She's still a beauty after all of these years :)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

The first MMO i ever SAW was EQ1... but the first MMO i ever played was E&B. that game kicked everyone's ass! i have countless fond memories up to and including how the scout ship was shown in the opening cinemat but was never put into the game!! good times... while i'm bummed EA closed it down instead of putting it on life support like several less deserving mmo's are i can say that i've moved on and perhaps it is better that the game remains in my memories where it's the best mmo ever crafted instead of still alive today where it would be wallowing in self pity and laughed at by the gaming community at large.

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

First love is first played. Ultima Online.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

First played Asheron's Call was it the best ?  Hell yeah.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

yes and no. my 1st MMO was EQ1 pre-PoP. i loved it and i hated and severy criticzed it. i am fully convinced, that EQ was not a very good MMO, just a good one. but unfortuantely all other games, i played later, have been worse. however, a very good MMO is possible imho and i will not give up hope.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

but unfortuantely all other games, i played later, have been worse. 

So it is the best one for you if the rest have been worse. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Originally posted by Aguitha

First played Asheron's Call was it the best ?  Hell yeah.

Definately^

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• SinnahtiSinnahti Member Posts: 5

My first MMO was Asheron's Call, but at the time I didn't understand anything about the MMO genre to fully appreciate all the great things happening in that game.

My first real love for an MMO definitely came with Dark Age of Camelot. I have played a lot of games that I have thoroughly enjoyed since then, but nothing has come close to the fun I had doing RvR with guildies there. 

AC, DAoC, WoW, WAR, FFXI, LoTR, RF, FFXIV

Currently back on WoW until a game comes around that shows me it doesnt suck.

• SloyoSloyo Member Posts: 9

First MMO was Everquest starting from release.  Nothing has come close from the feeling I got from the first time logging in and exploring.  So terrified to go off the crappy path that was in the wilderness in Greater Faydark for fear of dying and not being able to find my body.  Or the first time jumping on the Boat from Butcherblock to Freeport....those were the days.  I will admit I still believe the best MMO I have played is still Vanguard....I just wish it had more people and was given more love.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, my first mmo was Lineage 2. It would have been Everquest had Everquest looked better.

I still think it's a great game. But I don't think it's the best game ever. Though it's pretty close ; )

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Tibia

Not the best ever, but it was pretty fun.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • kenedakeneda Member UncommonPosts: 52

The 4th Prophecy was my first MMO and it was really good.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Had the most fun in UO. Is it the best MMORPG? No.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

I love these types of posts..they evoke memories and good times. 

I actually had no clue MMOs exsited.  I was going through a divorce and needed something to take my mind off my worries and some ppl at work recommended EQ.  I went to the store and saw the box on the shelf but the characters were all boxy looking.  AC2 was next to it so I bought that instead.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get AC2 to work on my system so I went back and bought EQ and all the expansions.  Low and behold the graphics were not boxy as POP was recently released!

I was mezmorized by kelethin, I can still here the music.  All my senses were shocked...I could not believe I was playing this type of game, which i never even knew exsited!  The entire time was a joy until I got to the end game.  There was no playing if you did not have a group and raiding required a raiding guild, not a casual guild.  Anyway, after so many hours of sitting LFG I grew disenchanted....Also, some of the people I knew left for SWG...so I did the same.

Boy, another great MMO memory.  SWG was everything I could have ever wanted.  i was a fanatical devotee until SOE completely changed the game.  I couldn't understand why they would do this but it forced me to leave and I left for EQ2. 

I was going to dedicate myself to EQ2 and actually did like it, except for the lack in armor designs.  But fortune changed all that....the launch had several days where the servers were unavailable and my addiction required me to be online!  I went out and got WOW for a quick fix while I waited for EQ2 servers to come back online....but never returned after logging into WOW....well, actually I did.

WOW and EQ2 were my main games for the past several years but it was a love hate relationship with WOW that caused me to return to EQ2 and leave WOW.  During those years I tried several other games and actually have a spot in my heart for City of Heroes and Champions Online....and Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings too.  They were all fun but just didn't keep me.

Anyway, I am babbling....my first love was EQ1 but like my first real love in life, i was ultimately disappointed. 

I would love a game designed like SWG, that was such an incredible ride, even with all the bugs.

So, do I hold other games to EQ and SWG standards?  Hmmm, yes and no...there are no games designed like SWG so I can't use that as a comparison.  However, I do use all my other gaming experiences when comparing games and right now I think GW2 will take my heart away once again!

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

I voted no becouse my first was AC1 but back then i was on Dial Up playing on server in US while i live in europe and i had alot of trouble with lag and connection so my experience with that game was good and bad.

Still AC1 was awesome stepping for first time into gaming world was just unbelievable.

But end of 2000 i got my ADSL already quit AC1 and played PSO on my SEGA dreamcast untill AC2 end of 2002 came and i was hooked and in love with that game(Same year Morrowind came out one of my best gaming years EVER) it looked so good it was just stunningly beautifull how Dereth AC2 gaming world looked like, was great game plus great community so AC2 my first real love for mmo's.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

I can't believe over 37% says yes.

Well, I guess it depends. How long you've played MMOs and such. Well, my first MMO was The Sims Online. Then I played pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies. I was completely blown away from it, right from the beginning I liked pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies over The Sims Online. Actually, I prefer what I'm playing now, World of Warcraft, over The Sims Online too. I just really prefer full-fledged 3D MMOs over isotopic 2D MMOs like The Sims Online and (haven't play it) Ultima Online. There is much more emmersion with it.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

the first mmorpg that i played for months was star war galaxies. longest i had played was Lineage 2 and will never go back unless they 10x exp event.   toooo time consuming....

for others, click on my signature.

• possession69possession69 Member Posts: 5

the first MMORPG i ever played was Godswar Online. It was a random thing, i was checking out information for my homework when i saw this add for GOdswar ONline, so i decided to give it a try, and eveven though the graphics werent that good i still enjoyed the game very much, and it also was my first MMORPG game. I still play it sometimes, because it brings back memories of old times :)

Hm i probably played the game for 3 years or so, then i decided to start playin better games with better graphics, and i saw guild wars and vindictus.....

Maybe music isnt dead. Maybe we just forgot what it fvcking sounds like.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

My first MMO love was Entropia Universe. I spent hours running around "sweating" animals, yet had the best fun ever.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

GW was the first "almost a MMO" love, but for the people that think it doesn't count I would have to say AoC then.  I still play both and am having a hard time finding anything else I like.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Dark Age of Camelot pre-TOA.

The RvR... The dirt naps... The Hibs and Mids trying to say something nasty to me when I sent my earth elementals crashing down upon them from the safety of the Keep...even though I could not understand a word they said.... running for my life from a zerg group for millionth time....

The world itself.... alive even though virtual and just pixels.... needing to help others and helping others that needed it.... The Dungeons.... The Trains....

Was it the best MMO I ever played? Nope, but damn close. The brilliance of tertiary conflict, instead of binary conflict, is part of the magic that made DAoC one of the best. A concept that should have grabbed by another developer and ran with by now and hasn't been.

Do I think "First played is First Love" for most players? Usually yes for most players, but not all.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Oops, I voted no before I fully read the post.

Although the way the green text is worded is a little silly....Either it's asking "Is your favorite all-time MMO your all-time favorite MMO?" to which the answer is obviously yes, or it's asking "will your favorite all-time MMO be the best MMO of all time, ever?" to which the answer is obviously no.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Axehilt

Oops, I voted no before I fully read the post.

Although the way the green text is worded is a little silly....Either it's asking "Is your favorite all-time MMO your all-time favorite MMO?" to which the answer is obviously yes, or it's asking "will your favorite all-time MMO be the best MMO of all time, ever?" to which the answer is obviously no.

Oops. I didn't read the green text either, but I think you have to take it as is. I think what he's asking is, "Is your favorite MMO the first MMO you played a lot?" As in, the first one which you actually bought instead of downloading a free trial for it.

Thankfully I can say I played The Sims Online a lot, so "no" is still the right answer for me.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The first MMO that I ever played and the only one I ever loved was SWG.

Every mmo since has been purchased by me in a vain attempt to recreate what I had with SWG, and so far all have failed to do so miserably.