Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only 29 servers for headstart - fewer than in Beta.

2»

Comments

• DaredentDaredent Member UncommonPosts: 14

My guess is they will release other servers when the real launch date hits so that people that didnt have head start can start together too.  Meaning people that had a head start wont have a head start on everyone else.   They just got to start playing game before others.

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Warsaurus

They want to fill the servers before they open the rest. What you DONT want is too many servers that spread the population too thin.  That breaks games in the long run. 

They're playing it safe, opening only as many as they need to, to keep people together.  I'm sure before the end of day 1 you'll see 4-5 more open up, perhaps more depending on what they need. 

Good move by Trion, shows competence and that they know what they're doing.

Not only is this guy right,  he's dead on.  Actually i think they opened 20 more in the last 24 hours...maybe more.  Apperently this game got alot of preorder subs who signed up yesterday

• RiftFanRiftFan Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Fed1

For those that replied earlier, do you still feel it was the right call to only have so few servers? :-)

They have actually been very strict on adding new servers. We went from 32 to 42 now? I think.

It is definitely not a WAR situation that is spreading the population thin. Now it is a

matter of getting the people out of those high ques into the newer servers.

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by RiftFan

For those that replied earlier, do you still feel it was the right call to only have so few servers? :-)

They have actually been very strict on adding new servers. We went from 32 to 42 now? I think.

It is definitely not a WAR situation that is spreading the population thin. Now it is a

matter of getting the people out of those high ques into the newer servers.

When I logged off last night there were 52 total US and EU servers up. I think they started with lower number of servers to force server capacity then will bring them up as needed...which they did....very well I might add.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Xerith

No need to follow War, Aion, AoC, insert MMO here that has had to do server mergers because they started with too many. 

The server mergers were a result of players leaving those games, not to many servers. 

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I was in Beta 7 and there were more servers on headstart day and they had to open even more, they opened five more in just one hour at the heavy time, around 7pm est. I give Trion a lot of credit because they have done very well

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Why not open all servers up for headstart?

Answer to that is you do not want to pread yourself too thin. Instead they took the perfect approach, which was having a lot of servers ready to be added if need be.

I believe in the first day of headstart they added ~7-9 more servers.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Waldoe

Answer to that is you do not want to pread yourself too thin. Instead they took the perfect approach, which was having a lot of servers ready to be added if need be.

I believe in the first day of headstart they added ~7-9 more servers.

They have added 25 new servers with a total of 56 servers after first day, most are high or full as of mid day Friday...

Below is a list of the new servers added on the first day as of 11:30am pst Friday...

We have added the following servers since we launched this morning:

Rocklift- US-EN PvE

Dimroot- US-EN PvE

Shivermere UK PvP

Dayblind US PvP

Harrow -- US PVP-RP

Immerwacht DE PvE

Rhazade DE PvP

Grimnir - FR PvP-RP

Sagespire - En EU PvP

Deepwood US PVP

Feenring PvP-RP

Stonecrest US PvP

Faemist US EN PVP (added at 12 pm PST)

Alsbeth US PvE (Added 1 pm PST)

Regulos US PvP (Added 1 pm PST)

Estrael US RP (Added 1:50 pm PST)

Tearfall US PvP (Added 1:50 pm PST)

Aedraxis US PvE (Added 3:30 pm PST)

Freeholme US PvP (Added 3:30 pm PST)

Emberlord US PvP (Added 3:30 pm PST)

Silkweb US PvE (added 4:15 pm PST)

Corthana US PvE (added 5:00 pm PST)

Laethys US PvE (added 5:00 pm PST)

Friday 2/25/2011 Updates

Brutmutter DE PvE (added 9:50 am PST)

Felsspitze DE PvP (added 9:50 am PST)

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Several reasons.

One: as with all MMORPGs, when it's new, many people will try it. Then many people will leave. If they'd have exactly the right amount of servers on the start, they have empty servers some weeks/months later, and would have to merge the remaining ones, which reminds people on a dying MMORPG.

Another reason is: server queues -> many people who want to log in -> gives people the feeling that the game is that insanely great, that there was no way modern server hardware could handle it. The longer the queues and the more people have to wait, the more it is a successful start.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Opening all servers is a mistake, a novice mistaken any new mmo can make.

Here are the smiple rules, Opening with less servers and having to add more gives the preception that the game is expanding and bursting with life. Having to many servers and having to merge gives the perception that the game is dying. It doesnt matter what the truth actually is.

That is why starting off with less servers then slowly adding more is always the best option.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson