Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how was day 1 Headstart?

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Hey guys thinkin of pre-ordering after work this evening. How are the server loads? How were they through the night and wee hrs of the morning? Can't wait to start playing but those sever queues...OUCH! Should I wait till release or start tonight? How long is the download? Or maybe it might be better like next week or 2?

Comments

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53

First of all, I play on EU.

The download went pretty fast in my case, then again I got a 100Mbps fiber connection.

The queues were pretty harsh on the PvP servers last night (hours I heard), but if you plan on playing on a PvE server I only got 5-10 min queues and no queue this morning. 

The most annoying thing was the overcrowded starting zone which made questing quite a chore. Everyone was camping the same mobs/loot objects, as well as taking all the artifacts and gathering nodes. But people will move on to higher level areas soon so that shouldn't be a problem anymore (which should make the queue problems better as well, they weren't allowing any more people on until the starting zone was less crowded)

So imo if you really can't wait to start playing just go ahead and preorder.

See you in Telara ^^

• I had a 1-2 hour wait for Faeblight PvE-RP... but once in it was AWESOME fun. :)

I only got to level 10 but took part in an epic invasion event. Got a purple token reward thingy, had a brilliant time. That was Oceanic evening so pretty late for US players.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

No lag nor bugs nor crashes so far on whitefall, althought queueuing time is a major problem.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Well i must say smoother then I expected , no lag worst irritation was the starter zone looking for the 6 level 1 mobs to kill.

(luckily no longer then 5 min)  anyway just stay at the entrance and kill them as they go for the guards :P .

Aside from 8 hour gaming  the stupid 45 min failed update (had to disable firewall and antivirus for it to download)

All in All very smooth , and infact suprising on me that i played a fantasy game this long .

Anyway the highlight for me that suprised me was how well the soul system is build.

And how class combo works even if you make a totally not recommended class combination .

Well if you want easy leveling a pet class really helps , they can take a good amount of beating , and do little damage.

So they tank for you the mobs , while you press the buttons to kill it .

All in all i found the game refreshingly same as wow but beter , cause it almost like wow classic but improved .

The rifts are a bit hard to solo , found taking on red mobs quite challenging for a none healing class.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Had a great time playing! If you are playing on the N.A. servers prepare for queues on all of them. Expect to wait 30mins to 2 hours in prime time, more for popular servers.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

If you're EU, avoid Whitefall (PvP). That server was high at 5am GMT when everything else was low. I predict it will be full every other normal time of the day. Just hoping for smaller than 2hrs queue (Had to wait 10hrs yesterday due to the auto disconnect bah).

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Thanks guys ..I'm pretty hyped over this game. Blizzard better beware. I am thinking this game might ... just might have a chance of toppling the gorilla or at least bringing him to his knees! :)

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82

All the US servers were full last night and had 1 or more hour que. Trion added like 23 servers yesterday and when i stopped around 12pm EST, they were still full except maybe 6 that were High population. I think they did a wonderful job , people were complaining about server que but i played pretty much all MMO at launch and Rift was very good performance wise as well as how they handle everything. The only bad thing i could say is that they should've created more starting zones because everyone was doing the same quests.

The download is fast, took me about an hour and a half..

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

I'm loving it.

It's running smooth. Looks great. So many things to do I often have trouble prioritizing.

I have no complaints so far.

Oh yeah my DVD player is fried on my computer so would have to dl the whole game and can't seem to do that without first having a new account and logging in.. Wondering if I can actually download the game from the rift site after headstart is over. My main concern for pre-ordering...

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

No lag nor bugs nor crashes so far on whitefall, althought queueuing time is a major problem.

Hence why they've added so many new servers.  I suspect they'll be upping the server capacity once the initial rush is partially out of the starting zones.  Of course, we'll see what Prime Time today holds.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by Wrender

Thanks guys ..I'm pretty hyped over this game. Blizzard better beware. I am thinking this game might ... just might have a chance of toppling the gorilla or at least bringing him to his knees! :)

i lol'd, thanks mate. Half a year this game is dead.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by mithoss

People still saying WOW will be toppled.  Rift gets boring fast, we ll see in a few months what the posts will be like.

My prediction is 3 million by that time. Time will tell I guess...

The hype machine is running just like Blizzard's machine ran back in 2004 only better!

You know everyone who is and ever played WoW will be checking this game out. And current WoW players actually hate the state of WoW now rather they will admit it or not. They are so starved for a new game that they will play anything half worth a shit and it looks like RIFT is the only polished AAA title that just might aleviate that need.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Trion has a great game on their hands. I love it and will be in Rift a long time. However, don't think of Rift as some kind of WOW killer, not going to happen. The only one that can take WOW down is Blizzard itself. WOW is a great game I spent 6 years and had great fun, wonderful memories, and got my money worth. Why do so many want to see WOW die. If WOW did not have it's success Rift would not exist.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

You know everyone who is and ever played WoW will be checking this game out. And current WoW players actually hate the state of WoW now rather they will admit it or not. They are so starved for a new game that they will play anything half worth a shit and it looks like RIFT is the only polished AAA title that just might aleviate that need.

Alot of  people playing WoW, barely even know what it is, everyone, please.

Originally posted by eccoton

Trion has a great game on their hands. I love it and will be in Rift a long time. However, don't think of Rift as some kind of WOW killer, not going to happen. The only one that can take WOW down is Blizzard itself. WOW is a great game I spent 6 years and had great fun, wonderful memories, and got my money worth. Why do so many want to see WOW die. If WOW did not have it's success Rift would not exist.

I don't really expect this to be a "WoW killer" but I myself have really grown to dislike What WoW has done to it's own game. It baffles the hell out of me as to why so many are still playing it (myself included) prob cause there simply isn't anything better out there that , shallow as it is, is just so cool to play. But honestly WoW is no longer a deep and involving fantasy world anymore. They have dumbed down so much of what used to be a good complex world. WoW is only a lobby game now where all ??millions of people are queued for dungeons the whole time they are logged in. There is no persistent world anymore. I can't stand lvling up by killing those ridiculous mobs or questing outside dungeons anymore. One extreme to the other extreme with no in between. Either hunt and quests mobs that are so ridiculously easy a 2 yr old can do them or full groups doing heroic dungeons @ 85 extreme hard mode. I guess middle ground here would just be full groups in regular dungeons with no chat whatsoever between party members. Like I said it baffles my mind .....The gaming community is so starved for any half assed decent game right now that they will play RIFT simply because there is nothing better out there. Same as WoW. Think about it...

• KalTheoKalTheo Member UncommonPosts: 65

My Download of Rift ran at my connection speed cap (1.5 megs a second on my 150mbps connect) and the full 8 gigs was on my HD in under 2 hours.  I didn't time it.

The servers are rock solid, and while they're crowded Trion has already brought 23 additional servers online and I believe they're going to keep doing this as many servers have excessive queues.  That said, finding a server without a massive queue isn't that hard and if you aren't trying to hop on a server with your buddies / guildies you'll have no issue playing the game.

No lag, amazing mmo graphics & fluid combat make this a game you won't want to miss.  I played 11 hours straight yesterday and am taking a 1/2 day today to go beat that feat tonight!

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by eccoton

The only one that can take WOW down is Blizzard itself.

Time will kill WoW. Not much else. In any event, on Faeblight I did not (unlike other head starts) choose to try to spam logins early. I logged in at 1:02 and had about 1/25 hours queue. Then no problems. After they dropped the servers for thier quicky late afternoon (EST) I was #11 in queue so go back in after maybe 5 mins. A while later I decided to roll an alt. Safe log off to the character creation screen and then he was up and running and back in the game.

I am glad they cleared the log jams of the queues (until Tuesday at least). I am concerned about deserted servers a few months in. Time will tell.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Keep in mind, the same was said about WAR and Aion even weeks after release, until the glamour of a new toy wore off - and they realized that it's not really that fun doing the same thing they did for X years before in WoW.

REALITY CHECK

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138

I never had a better opening day in mmos.  LOTRO was close but this was great.  I had no lag, wait time was surprisingly short for the nultitudes playing. and it was fun.  getting on again now   :)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Leucent

People still saying WOW will be toppled.  Rift gets boring fast, we ll see in a few months what the posts will be like.

Well I'm not playing Wow right now, didn't buy Cataclysm, don't see myself ever going back to wow. I had some fun times there but it no longer does anything for me. Ghostcrawler and his band of merry misfits have killed that game deader than hell for me. Rift on the other hand has been a blast, and this is coming from a guy who didn't even bother to look at the game until a month ago because I thought I was burned out on Fantasy Themeparks.

Now all that being said, I totally agree the whole "Rift will kill Wow" statements are damn silly. All the people I know in real life that were playing Wow and are now playing Rift are keeping both subscriptions active. Just like they did when any other new game came out. So while they may not be playing Wow right now they are still paying for it.

As to your comment about Rift getting boring quick. If I am still fighting the same rifts like I fought em today three months from now I'm going to be gouging my eyes out in frustration. Heres the thing though. Trion has the benefit of hindsight that Blizzard did not. Wows content advancement was crippled by their own success as they had to put most of their resources into building a gargantuan server network as the games popularity exploded. Due to advances in server technology and since it seems Trion is prepared to add more servers as needed I'm willing to bet their creative team will be working to add more stuff for us to do far faster than games we played before. So in three months time Rift just might be a whole new ballgame.

I guess time will tell.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Thillian

Keep in mind, the same was said about WAR and Aion even weeks after release, until the glamour of a new toy wore off - and they realized that it's not really that fun doing the same thing they did for X years before in WoW.

Actually...I don't remember it that way.

The % of positive feedbeack on Rift is out pacing both of those games a lot. The few complaints I've read have been very weak indeed.

The same wasn't said about WAR and Aion. I haven't seen such a buzz since WoW  and to a lesser extent...GW 1 launched.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Leucent

Alot of  people playing WoW, barely even know what it is, everyone, please.

I agree this is a silly statement. I know ton's of current WOW players who love the game. Most of my guild from WOW are not interested in the mmo genre in general they play WOW. Most could careless about Rift. Millions loved Cataclysm.

The general population in WOW are not like us the regulars at mmorpg.com, we tend to be more hardcore in our love of mmos. Millions and millions of mmos players play one game and stick with it. The world does not revole around any one mmo. WOW is a one of a kind game that simply was at the right place at the right time.

Rift is a new polished mmo offering good game play, great graphics, and a solid storyline. What the hell are all you people looking for? So many come here to bash any new game while looking for some holy grail that does not and will not exist. Find a game you like play it support it and stop bashing games others like. It is their money and time not yours.

I use to post here at mmorpg.com all the time now not to often. I got sick of the all the geniuses trying to explain to me why I have been brainwashed by Blizzard or SOE and really do not like the games I support and play. Thank god all you haters are out there to set me straight.