Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hearing all the Good, what about Bad?

GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

Serious post.  I've looked through quite a few pages of the "Comparison Thread" and eventually hit the "TL:DR" stage.  From the sounds of it Rift has a lot of good stuff going for it, but aside from the "it's a WoW-clone" and "no mods for interface" comments what exactly is there to not like about Rift?

Still on the fence about grabbing Rift, and the last two games I purchased (DCUO & Xsyon) didn't "wow" me (no pun intended).  I'd hate to add a third one to that list in as many months.

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Seeing as I don't know what "WoW"s you, I couldn't tell you if this would.  I don't think it will wow you personally.

There are plenty of threads on this forum screaming the bad things (past the clone and such).

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Bad? Go to any video game forum. Hear more crap spewed than information that's worth your time.

Just wait and play a game trial. Lot easier with a hands on experience then someone spewing "THIZ GAMEZ SUCKX CAUZE ITZ WOW CLONE AND DOESNTT HAZ DX11 GRAPHICXZ!!!1"

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Only major issue for me was the fact how atleast defiant zone was way too full of content. And quite a lot lower enemies could stop you...

Also, there was zone borders...

This under beta-experiecne.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Right now it's the long queue times. If you don't care about which server you end up on, you can probably get in pretty quick, but if you have a particular server picked out for everyone in your group, you're kind of boned right now.

If you have your heart set on a new sandbox, then Rift isn't for you. If you're good with the whole Themepark thing, then Rift will probably be the thing for you.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Its success means playing today is going to be painful.  But tomorrow onward will be fine.  The only real bad is I think some people are going to fixate on being able to use three souls and forget that using 1 or 2 is also fine ;)  Ie originally I was going to be reaver/paly/warlord but now just slot paly/warlord with void at 0 points.

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

Well, started with EQ1 on Tallon Zek, played that for a year before switching over to DAoC.  Loved the RvR (was never great at it) and its three-sided conflict (damn Hibs).  Really liked WoW in the beginning before the BGs.  I did like WAR, but the PvP felt kinda pointless with the instancing.  Enjoyed Darkfall, but eventually got burned out on the grind and the broken siege mechanics (among other things).  Loved SWG (especially the crafting and housing), but the NGE killed it for me -- CU was at least bareable.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

If you weren't sold by the open beta, wait til' they offer a trial.  If you didn't TRY the open beta, you're obviously not in a hurry, so my suggestion still stands.

IMO:  Not a bad game by any means, and the most solid since LotRO.  But that's not enough reason, also IMO, to buy a game.  I don't devote hours of my time on "not a bad game".

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

• Graphics could be better (they are still good though).

• Character customization is limited. Few hairstyles, few sliders, few races.

• Rifts and invasions may disrupt your questing/gathering. (Some dislike it, not for everyone)

• Quests could be written better, according to some folks.

• Mob AIs could be better. They don't flee, they don't gang up ect..

• Soundtrack could use some work.

Note that I bought the game and I'm subbing. Those are the most insightful critics I've read and I consider them valid.

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

Thank you all for the replies.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I just found the game very dull overall. A lot of it is the WoW clone side of the game. The quests are really on rails, it is do 5 quests go turn them in do the next 5. The crafting was uninspired. The combat was a really basic GCD type system and was a bit clunky. The story wasn't interesting at all. The warfronts were not all that interesting. It was a very vanilla MMO with very little soul to it. The final straw though was I didn't find the rifts themselves very fun and they are really what the game needed to make it unique at all.

That doesn't mean it is a terrible game, everything was functional and more stable than most new MMOs. It just wasn't something that fit what I wanted.

• LotusBunnyLotusBunny Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Emhster

• Graphics could be better (they are still good though).

• Character customization is limited. Few hairstyles, few sliders, few races.

• Rifts and invasions may disrupt your questing/gathering. (Some dislike it, not for everyone)

• Quests could be written better, according to some folks.

• Mob AIs could be better. They don't flee, they don't gang up ect..

• Soundtrack could use some work.

Note that I bought the game and I'm subbing. Those are the most insightful critics I've read and I consider them valid.

You know, I actually thought that the soundtrack was fantastic.  But that's just me.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Goreignak

Serious post.  I've looked through quite a few pages of the "Comparison Thread" and eventually hit the "TL:DR" stage.  From the sounds of it Rift has a lot of good stuff going for it, but aside from the "it's a WoW-clone" and "no mods for interface" comments what exactly is there to not like about Rift?

Still on the fence about grabbing Rift, and the last two games I purchased (DCUO & Xsyon) didn't "wow" me (no pun intended).  I'd hate to add a third one to that list in as many months.

If the cost of a simple video game puts you on the fence then i'd say don't bother. The blast of a few days play on most things covers the cost of the Box so like most buy and try.

If you don't likey then you don't have to play ey.

If you do like it's a bonus and you can join us and have a blast'ey.

That way you will not be left asking what if and you cover all options.

But don't ask for opinion here they count for little; and generally you are a fool if you listen. It is all about you.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

• graphics are so-so (animations are not that great, and the rest is between acceptable and good)

• sound is so-so (music could be better, and the rest is pretty generic)

• quests are boring (you get "kill x of y" quests from the start on)

• only two start zones (ie, you have to go through the same content again and again)

• pretty young target audience (no problem if you are young yourself, but like, when I checked the german Rift forums out of curiosity, I found for example no single post without spelling errors)

• only 4 basic classes to start. Yes, you can customize them, but you will never need more than four characters

• dungeon finder (that tool is horrible)

• nothing new

• linear

And I'm still pondering whether I should buy it. But I guess I won't.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Here is some criticism from someone that is NOT subbing:

1. The game requires more hardware than I would like to perform well.

2. The quests are linear.

3. The quests are only ample for a once through (if you repeat, you get tired of the quest line quickly).

4. The game does not really have any difficulty  or grouping until ~18-20

5. The game does do new things reasonably well... but is is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Overally the game isnt bad. I do think that it has a lot of potential... in a year or two it might be a great game. However, I dont have any urge to play what they have now. Sure it would be fun the first time around, but I would burn through it quickly, and then be left with the 'now what' problem. I prefer to stick with what I am playing now, and revisit this once it has more depth.

I would expect this to have problems similar to AOC/WAR where there is a huge crowd of new players... that die off each month, leaving behind the core group of players which is much smaller. I dont consider this a 'bad' thing. I think that with the amount of BETA's that they had, no one should be 'surprised' or dissapointed. I just expect them to play through the game, then move on once the 'new game' feel is gone, and the content has been seen once through.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The pros of rift: It has enough content for most people and it does the content well. IE no major bugs that I saw during beta but I didnt go beyond level 20.

The cons of rift: There is nothing new except the soul system in rift. If you played warhammer/wow/game x y and z you have played rift in an earlier incarnation. IE the zones are the typical quest grind up. The warzones are what was in warhammer when you qued for scenario. The dungeon instance is the same old dungeon instance stuff with slightly different mobs and slightly different quests.

So nothing terribly new in rift just an amalgamation of good stuff from various games + the soul system. Yet the game was crafted very well with no major bugs and should be enough content to keep the average gamer going for multiple months provided they do not get bored with the sameness of this game to previous games.

If you are completely new to gaming Rift is a good choice as you wont be overwhelmed by the sameness of it all. If you are longtime verteran you will probably get bored within the first month. If you fall somewhere in between you might get 1 to 3 months out of the game before you get bored.

Being a long time veteran of the MMO space (I played text muds back in the early 90's, went to UO then to EQ and on from there) I quickly realised during beta that this game would not hold my attention for any length of time just due to the sameness of it over previous games I have played and for this reason I decided not to purchase the game.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Force Fed Rifts that are nothing more than boring Zergfests, that bog down the engine to a crawl is not my idea of fun. But the rest is decent.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

the gameplay is boring as hell, at least soloing is.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I found the gameplay to be mostly boring "same ol' same ol'."  The rifts can be downright fucking annoying if you're in the middle of doing other things...say crafting or well...anything.  Dying is overly financially punitive. I don't care for the graphic style of the game when it comes to characters, although the world itself is lovely.

But most of all....after playing in all the beta weekends save the last two, I found I didn't really care about logging in. Granted, I only got to level 23, but the game lacked a feeling of excitement for me. I just couldn't work up the desire to play it. It felt a lot like Warhammer to me, and to be fair, I didn't like that game either. It felt stale to me. I know, I know....lots of people say just the opposite, but this is my own opinion. I thought the quests were drab. I loved the soul system.

I'm happy for the people that like RIFT and have chosen to play it, but it's just not a good match for me, personally. BUT....it was the smoothest, least buggy beta experience I had ever had without a doubt.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift felt extremely generic to me.  The clas system was neat and the Rifts were fun [only] when grouped with an army of others, but outside of that, I didn't see anything in Rift that wasn't done better someplace else.

Honestly, I felt like the game shouldn't even charge $15 dollars a month to play.  I'd be all over it if it charged $10 dollars or even $12.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Rift felt extremely generic to me.  The clas system was neat and the Rifts were fun [only] when grouped with an army of others, but outside of that, I didn't see anything in Rift that wasn't done better someplace else.

Honestly, I felt like the game shouldn't even charge $15 dollars a month to play.  I'd be all over it if it charged $10 dollars or even $12.

Im loving the game myself right now and have since the 3rd beta event.. but im worried about this whole "new class system" and how long it will actually maintain its current likeness.Eventually and nobody can argue this there will be websites that instruct people how to spec and they will all do it faithfully and ridicule anyone who doesnt have a spec from said website.Happened in wow with Arenajunkies and Elitistjerks...If you wasn't using one of these specs for pvp/pve then you was "doing it wrong" I just wonder how long before websites like these pop up for Rift. Dont get me wrong.I have no issue with people trying to maximize their characters but when it gets so bad that its almost a requirement thats when i start hating these sites.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Classes = Yawn

Races = Yawn

Quests = Generic, predictable, lack any decent storyline. Linear content seems tacked-on, like the story is there to justify the quest rather than vice versa.

It's just such a boring grinder, there is nothing new whatsoever, ok it's done reasonably well and the graphics aren't terrible, but everything Rift does has been done before and done better.

There are a lot of plusses for this game, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

Bottom line, right now it's the new thing, it's fun for the moment, but is it a keeper? On initial impressions, no.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Zinzan

Classes = Yawn

Races = Yawn

Quests = Generic, predictable, lack any decent storyline. Linear content seems tacked-on, like the story is there to justify the quest rather than vice versa.

It's just such a boring grinder, there is nothing new whatsoever, ok it's done reasonably well and the graphics aren't terrible, but everything Rift does has been done before and done better.

yup

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by SuperXero89

So you would pay $12 a month for a game that you apparently find very bland and boring.

Got it.

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Zinzan

Classes = Yawn

Races = Yawn

There are a lot of plusses for this game, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

Bottom line, right now it's the new thing, it's fun for the moment, but is it a keeper? On initial impressions, no.

Crap. I was hoping to buy this game right away and have it occupy my time til GW2 came out but to many ppl over to many sites are saying how bored they are with game. And I've played several games simular to WOW and WOW itself. Sadly, I can find no mmo to play at the moment. I tried several of the free to play and I'm not going back to any of my former games.

I guess I'll come back in a month and check to see if anything has changed. I'll stick to single player in the meantime.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

The comments that it is similar to what has come before it is a fair comment but also a bit silly in that it is a fantasy dungeon and dragons style MMO game so what do you expect? 

If you are looking for a good quality game that has the traditional roles and save the world story line with the your guild then the game will be fun enough. If you insist that the game be totally original in all aspects then you probably aren't going to enjoy it very much. If WoW came out today instead of when it did people would be leveling many of the same negative comments about it and even after all the adjustments and improvements that Blizzard has made to the game it is still fundamentally the same old D&D game.

So to what is good about Rift is also what is bad about it. It has standard quests, it has classes, it has instanced dungeons, it has mounts, it has pets, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

If you have played WoW for 4 to 5 years and now want something new and exciting then this game isn't for you. If you are looking for a game where you don't know every nook and cranny of the world and you have to explore and learn a bit then you might enjoy the game. The soul based talent tree system is quite a bit of fun and while it might be overly flexible at the high end it is fun to try different builds and see the impact a change can make.

Rift is what it is.