Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Alot of youngsters think wow was the 1st mmo.

Do not forget UO and EQ before the launch of wow, and wow stole alot of those features and idea's.

Its ok to do that, hence wow keeps (stealing) other mmo idea's even now.

But if you are going to steal stuff you need to do it better.

Looking at rift i feel like playing warhammer, i see the same engine slightly modified ofcourse.

Gameplay feel steep.

Character creation is slacking  and doesnt feel unique enough when compared to Aion for example.

Animations also lacking

This is my personal opinion and lucky for us we are all diffrent ;), but Rift aint cutting it for me to worth paying a sub for.

Maybe if it was Buy to Play it would have been a diffrent story, like GW, but it isnt.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by dragonbrand

If the masses REALLY want something different than WOW, I suggest you all start playing EVE. Nothing could be further apart than those two.
    Yeah, thought so . . .

+1

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by drkoracle

Combat:

Better than AOC not as flowing as WoW's yet.

Good overall post but this, really? I find AoC's combat 10 times better than Rift.

• StuntyCrushaStuntyCrusha Member UncommonPosts: 108

To be quite frank, I couldn't care less what Rift has in common with WoW, or what's different.  I haven't played WoW since 1 month post BC so I've forgotten most of it anyway.  Of course, I still think "WoW clone" criers need to shut their pie holes but that's on account of the whole "WoW copied what came before it too" slant...and the "that's not a WoW exclusive, just about every MMO out there uses that" tidbit.  People need to get over that junk and just look at the game and whether or not good aspects of prior games are being implemented and how.  

For instance, they're talking about implementing a dungeon ala Darkness Falls from DAoC.  I'm not sitting around crying that they're cloning DAoC, I'm freaking stoked that they're talking about implementing one of my favorite parts of a previous game.

Seriously...just look at the game by itself and judge that instead of actively searching for stupid reasons to hate it.  If anything, I think a developer who doesn't implement successful aspects from games that have come before is asking to fail.  

• Dragonking60Dragonking60 Member Posts: 145

I just opened up a World of Warcraft trial account just to see comparsions everyone is making. Honestly WoW has nothing on Rift, the gameplay in rift is more challenging, more orignal, more fun. The interface for Wow is very similar but much more poorly designed, I found it hard to find many things. Finally, the graphics in WoW are just dated, seriously Rift is clearly the better game here.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

Well, all of these games compete in their suckage.

Still Warcraft is the better made game on all levels. RIFT's a hack clone with a small world and some shallow gimmicks. That's been done before. Excet AoC worked on a huge world and tried some interesting world design. RIFT does not. It's flat, it's liner, and way too static. Even in the RIFTs. If they could create craters in the ground that took literally days or even months to heal no matter where they were; yeah. That's not the case. An area turns color, you kill some stuff, token grind for the same rewards everyone else is token grinding for.

The pvp was disappointing and was too slow to offer any merit to.

The comparison ends at these games in quality. Trion's got a sheep's skin on and it'll come off right after launch when all the 'ooh shiny' crowd are still too dazed to ask for a refund.

The King is harsh but is the King ever wrong?

We'll have to wait a couple of months to see :)

:)

Agreed.

I don't agree on his majesty's assertion of AoC's world though. I mainly thought of that one to be a nice collection of eye-candy backdrops, with very seperated and channeled zones. Almost felt as artificial to me as WAR's world did. Didn't experience Rift's world myself though, but I've been hearing that it is pretty cramped by a lot of people.

I agree with your agreement, AND your partial disagreement.  AoC's zones felt like hallways with a view of the sky.  the new zones are better, but you still have to go through those hallways for 80 levels in order to get to the new zones.

Back to the original, I'll add my own disagreement.  I don't think it's quite fair to dismiss Rift outright as a clone.  Gameplay-wise, it's not as heavy in long cooldowns, and content-wise the creatures and lore are VERY different from WoW or WAR.  THOSE THINGS DO MATTER.

Far as my opinion of it goes... it's better than vanilla WoW, but lags behind Cata.  And it trounces WAR, despite gameplay that's remarkably similar.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

The thing is - there is no such thing as a "WoW clone".  What WoW has done is simply taken a bunch of already defined standards and packaged it in one box. Lets take this to a different point of view. Noone is complaining that Internet Explorer refuses to follow the standards (inspect any site you want and you'll find a "iefix.css" file). We are all glad that Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc mostly follows the defined standards. IE is not being praised for doing things differently, it's being hated because it's crap. Why is it crap? Because it can't follow the standards.

As stated three to four hundred million times: WoW is not the first MMO. Blizzard did not invent all the features that WoW implements. WoW is just a very well made MMO that wrapped up all the good things a MMO should have. They did eventually take things to a new level and came up with som inovative ideas for sure.

Rift is taking well known concepts and making their own game with them. Just like Chrome did, making their own browser. There is nothing revolutionary about Chrome, it's just a good alternative, and i use it allot because i like the way it feels. In fact, i use different browsers for different tasks.

When i first logged in to Rift i didn't get the "this is a WoW clone"-feeling. What i did get however is the "hey i recognize this, i already know how to get around, i'm used to this layout"-feeling. And in my book that's a good thing. Millions of people around the globe has been playing WoW for the past 6 years. Making things "feel similar" out of the box is the smartes move any MMO-creator can make, and it works! Moving around the interface to make it look less like another game doesn't make it inovative. Changing well-known concepts for the sake of being different doesn't make it revolutionary. And you know what - If it aint broke, dont fix it.

In fact, i wish there were more game that successfully "cloned WoW". Playing Rift for the brief time i did i really felt comfortable. The controls are slick and does what you expect, the interface is easy to understand and use, the graphics looks great, the world events/rifts are well implemented and are fun and rewarding. It feels allot like WAR did, just done right. WAR felt to empty and to chunky. More WoW clones to the people!

And talking about clones... Want to get in to FPS games? They all have a sniper rifle, they all have machine guns, they all have hand guns, they're all team-against-team based. Look at that, they're all CS clones lolol because CS invented FPS!!1112

Embrace the so called "WoW clones". Nothing bad comes from it. Only good. Every "clone" takes the genre one step forward and helps refine the things we love about these games. In fact, i don't think we want "all new invoative super-punk features from outer space with silicon boobs and Justin Bieber soundtracks". What i think most of us want is what we already have, only better. When you buy a new knife you buy a sharper one that lasts longer, not one shaped like a block or a bottle (like someone would be dumb enough to produce a knife shaped like a block or a bottle).

And that my friends is what Rift is - A sharper knife with a more comfortable handle. Also, it looks a little different so it's more fun and fresh to use then that old knife of yours.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

see alot of comparisons to aoc , warhammer, warcraft, ect.

The thing that is unique about this game ( sad that this is so but) the fact that Trion expressly stated their intentions with this game and delivered.

too bad that is a great accomplishment today, but it seems it is with all the half arsed releases this day and age.

so far from the betas Rift is shaping up to be one of the best mmo releases in a long long time, and i think, weather it's very similar to another popular game ( which the devs never denied) it does what is says, and it is enjoyable for those who don't mind or even like the formula.

people that love warcraft but want better graphics but still want the same feel and polish that warcraft has owned the industry in will get that from rift. people sick to death of warcraft who want the newest thing ( which most of them will cry to their death bed because mmo's have reached their basic peak in innovation for the most part every game in the next decade described as an mmo is going to have the same basic idea/formula) and the fact is your basically tired of mmo's all together.

Rift is a good game for what it is, there has not been a better major release mmo to come down the pike in a good while, everyone can bash it for being like that game or not being "innovative" enough, but it was never stated to be that. It is what it was set out to be, finally someone delivers - the mmo world will be comparing new releases launch to Rift from now on, imo.

• mdgilbertmdgilbert Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by timtrack

The thing is - there is no such thing as a "WoW clone".  What WoW has done is simply taken a bunch of already defined standards and packaged it in one box. Lets take this to a different point of view. Noone is complaining that Internet Explorer refuses to follow the standards (inspect any site you want and you'll find a "iefix.css" file). We are all glad that Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc mostly follows the defined standards. IE is not being praised for doing things differently, it's being hated because it's crap. Why is it crap? Because it can't follow the standards.

As stated three to four hundred million times: WoW is not the first MMO. Blizzard did not invent all the features that WoW implements. WoW is just a very well made MMO that wrapped up all the good things a MMO should have. They did eventually take things to a new level and came up with som inovative ideas for sure.

Rift is taking well known concepts and making their own game with them. Just like Chrome did, making their own browser. There is nothing revolutionary about Chrome, it's just a good alternative, and i use it allot because i like the way it feels. In fact, i use different browsers for different tasks.

When i first logged in to Rift i didn't get the "this is a WoW clone"-feeling. What i did get however is the "hey i recognize this, i already know how to get around, i'm used to this layout"-feeling. And in my book that's a good thing. Millions of people around the globe has been playing WoW for the past 6 years. Making things "feel similar" out of the box is the smartes move any MMO-creator can make, and it works! Moving around the interface to make it look less like another game doesn't make it inovative. Changing well-known concepts for the sake of being different doesn't make it revolutionary. And you know what - If it aint broke, dont fix it.

In fact, i wish there were more game that successfully "cloned WoW". Playing Rift for the brief time i did i really felt comfortable. The controls are slick and does what you expect, the interface is easy to understand and use, the graphics looks great, the world events/rifts are well implemented and are fun and rewarding. It feels allot like WAR did, just done right. WAR felt to empty and to chunky. More WoW clones to the people!

And talking about clones... Want to get in to FPS games? They all have a sniper rifle, they all have machine guns, they all have hand guns, they're all team-against-team based. Look at that, they're all CS clones lolol because CS invented FPS!!1112

Embrace the so called "WoW clones". Nothing bad comes from it. Only good. Every "clone" takes the genre one step forward and helps refine the things we love about these games. In fact, i don't think we want "all new invoative super-punk features from outer space with silicon boobs and Justin Bieber soundtracks". What i think most of us want is what we already have, only better. When you buy a new knife you buy a sharper one that lasts longer, not one shaped like a block or a bottle (like someone would be dumb enough to produce a knife shaped like a block or a bottle).

And that my friends is what Rift is - A sharper knife with a more comfortable handle. Also, it looks a little different so it's more fun and fresh to use then that old knife of yours.

Awesome post, you summed up my thoughts on this topic so well there's little left to say, but, "thanks".

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

For me personally, I don't like Rift. It just seems like i've done it before, it's not very unique and the leveling seems linear. Now don't get me wrong, I had some good fun during the 20 hours i've played but when I got to the defiant city, that was it.

The Rifts are fun, but very repetitive. There doesn't seem to be a reason for doing them except for the secondary currency. The invasions were cool as well but it seemed rather difficult. A monster that takes 20 minutes to kill is not my idea of "good time fun". I really expected a lot more from a game that is designed around PvE.

The PvP is also rather shallow. Sadly it reminds me of WoW's battlegrounds. They are rather small and don't contibute to anything. I will give props that getting loot from killing an enemy is good but it's not enough. The PvP also seems rather wierd. The amount of class combinations is rather large but not balanced.

I for one will watch behind the sidelines of this game. It has the perfect formula of disaster that plagued Warhammer Online and will probably follow the same path after 3 or so months.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• OstgarOstgar Member UncommonPosts: 19

My big question is, why do we care if WoW and Rift are clones.  Call of Duty and Medal of Honor and Bulletstorm and Doom and Doom 3 and Duke Nukem are "clones" by the definition put forth here.  Final Fantasy, Mario RPG, Dragon Warrior(Quest), Xenogears and Mystic Quest are "clones" by the definition put forth here.  Pet Cemetary, Carrie, Odd Thomas are "clones" by the definition put forth here.  Sargent Pepper, The White Album, Abby Road are "clones" by the definition put forth here.

Without becoming a wall of text, people who are open minded and not the normal forum trolls that just want to argue, will see my point.  Everything is similar, slightly to extrememly, with something else.  Unique products are rare at this point.  You can compare things with something else.

This thread shouldn't of needed to be made, the important thing is... Do you like Rift, WoW or Warhammer the most?  Do you want to play one or multiple games?  Do you want something new - without a bunch of expansions and patches - or something established?

My Opinion - using a WoW style interface is a smart move for Rift - makes it easier to get into.  Same thing - going from EQ to WoW didn't require much adjustment since the interface was similar.  WoW to EQ2 was easy enough - since the interface was similar.

Different worlds - different races - different classes - different stories.  That's what I care about.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

WoW fans really want to quit the game to play Rift, but need a push. Thats why they are doing this whole clone thing.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by wallet113

WoW fans really want to quit the game to play Rift, but need a push. Thats why they are doing this whole clone thing.

Ok, let me see if I understand what you just typed:

1. WoW fans really want to quit the game to play RIFT.

2. They need a 'push'

3. RIFT decided to clone WoW to give these players a 'push'.'

Question: if WoW players already decided to quit WoW to play RIFT, why did they need a push?  And how could RIFT's supposed 'cloning' of WoW 'push' them if they would be just moving to a clone of the game they just quit?

I'm just not sure I get what you're trying to say here.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

WoW fans won't quit the game for Rift. Ex-wow people, especially those who didn't like the direction WoW took over the years with each passing expansion are probably more eligible to pick up Rift.

A friend of mine (who won't give up WoW) described Rift as a "more mature version of WoW" after playing the first 10 levels.

Originally posted by Qazz

Ok, let me see if I understand what you just typed:

1. WoW fans really want to quit the game to play RIFT.

2. They need a 'push'

3. RIFT decided to clone WoW to give these players a 'push'.'

Question: if WoW players already decided to quit WoW to play RIFT, why did they need a push?  And how could RIFT's supposed 'cloning' of WoW 'push' them if they would be just moving to a clone of the game they just quit?

I'm just not sure I get what you're trying to say here.

I think he was refering to the people saying it's a WoW clone - not Trion.  Trion has openly admited to takingg parts from all the best MMOs then adding what they felt was needed.  Again - refer to my above post.  

I quit WoW for this game - I think Rift is more my style as it feels a bit more like the EQ age of MMOs.  I miss that and this hits it just right.  Enough of the old with a few of the important WoW innovations Blizzard made the gold standard.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by infofront

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

I would like to turn the tide and ask people that play WoW:

What does WoW do better then Rift?

Absolutely everything. I know that sounds like a copout, but I honestly can't think of a single aspect of Rift that met or exceeded WoW, except maybe graphics, on a high end rig. All aspects of PvP, Questing, the UI, class skills (sheer number, variety, usability, fun factor), overall polish, and  the sheer amount of content (not to mention WoW's content being vastly superior overall).

I dont even like WoW and I agree with this.

I can't stand WoW and disagree with this, vehemently. The class system is more complicated, flexible, and tailor-able to what you want your character to be able to do. The rift system in Rift is much more dynamic. The graphics are better even in low-render (when I started beta I was waiting for my new computer to be built), and the community has been friendlier so far. And most importantly, Trion seems to believe in the quaint, nearly antiquainted idea of customer service. They listen to their player base and attempt to fix problems without going overboard on nerfs or boosts.

Originally posted by nightfallrob

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by infofront

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

I would like to turn the tide and ask people that play WoW:

What does WoW do better then Rift?

Absolutely everything. I know that sounds like a copout, but I honestly can't think of a single aspect of Rift that met or exceeded WoW, except maybe graphics, on a high end rig. All aspects of PvP, Questing, the UI, class skills (sheer number, variety, usability, fun factor), overall polish, and  the sheer amount of content (not to mention WoW's content being vastly superior overall).

I dont even like WoW and I agree with this.

I can't stand WoW and disagree with this, vehemently. The class system is more complicated, flexible, and tailor-able to what you want your character to be able to do. The rift system in Rift is much more dynamic. The graphics are better even in low-render (when I started beta I was waiting for my new computer to be built), and the community has been friendlier so far. And most importantly, Trion seems to believe in the quaint, nearly atiquainted idea of customer service. They listen to their player base and attempt to fix problems without going overboard on nerfs or boosts.

I agree with most of what Nightfall said.  The issue with the "Absolutely everything" statement, is that opinions are stated as facts.  WoW doesn't do anything better than Rift.  Rift doesn't do anything better than WoW.  They both work as intended.  I've crashed more in WoW recently - but that's new game problems with the huge expansion.  Rift has been 100% stable through... beta... 

My preferance is Rift.  Both are polished - VERY different products - that appeal to different people.  WoW is for people that like templates and a more specific grind.  Rift is a bit less rail roaded (in my opinion) with how the class system (specs) work and with options of what you can do as you level.  

Again - previous paragraph is an OPINION - lets try to be clear and stay away from stating opinions as facts.

Fact example - Rift has four callings.

Opinion example - I think WoW has better graphics because I like the art style more.

• likeafoxlikeafox Member UncommonPosts: 49

Rift is what Warhammer Online should of been. If it had come out around when Warhammer/Age of Conan and all that it would of been a better time to play it. But to be honest, Rift is nothing new and while I admit it is a decent game it just won't see my money for the same thing that was playing 2+ years ago.

Warhammer online uses the Gamebryo Engine

Rift uses the Gamebryo engine (newer engine version obviously)

Some of the people behind Rift also worked on Warhammer Online and other games.

But it is exactly a clone of Warhammer.  Warhammer originally started out with 3 races, Rift has 3 races. Warhammer had public quests that acted the same way Rift's rift's are acting. Sure it may be "better looking" with the fancy tentacle porn cloud dropping npcs out of her vayjay. But that's how I see it.

Not to mention the chaos starting zone in warhammer had the same feel in Rift's defiant starting zone with the massive explosions.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

But Warhammer sucked at about the time the creating a character screen appeared (to me) and playing it was even worse.

• Castlead1z1Castlead1z1 Member UncommonPosts: 100

I have no idea why ppl hyped this game as they did, i play''d the game since beta 4, to be honest i tried to enjoy the game but i could not, it dosnt bring anything new to the genre, must admit tough the soul system and the ammount of possiblities to customize a character are great, but thats about it. Last open beta i play'd a warrior....and...damn i was so disapointed, the animations were so far fetched, the way it attacked and so on it made me cry and rethink on pre ordering the game, so im pretty glad i canceled my pre order...dont feel like to play a wow/war clone...no sir, so im stiking with AoC for the moment, waiting on Tera and GW2, and hoping it brings something new or better then whats on at the moment !!

• randmprandmp Member Posts: 54

So are we comparing a Apple and Corn in this thead?

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I was reading through the list of 120 good thingsabout rift or whatever that list was then I noticed...

"Beginner backpack has 20 slots" 

Doesnt WoWs first backpack have 20 sllots?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Castillle

I was reading through the list of 120 good thingsabout rift or whatever that list was then I noticed...

"Beginner backpack has 20 slots" 

Doesnt WoWs first backpack have 20 sllots?

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

It is hard to compare the games just like that, me for example did cancel wow only 3 months after release and that was maily couse of the horrible comunity,however I did never miss the game and allways disliked it due to the bad comunity.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Hmmm...I'm subbing to Rift, while subbed to WoW - does it mean I'm really subbing to a double dosing of waterred down EQ?  Then again applying logical syllogisms to MMOs and especially in a transitive way, is never a good idea - just hurts the brain.

See all you new Rift / WoW / Warhammer / Etc... folks Thur :)