Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the appeal of this game?

ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I have not played yet, I've only done research online but so far I can't really see anything innovative here at all. 

2 Factions, just like WAR and WoW and others. 

Warfronts? Those are just battle grounds/scenarios

PVE, OK every game has that.

The only thing that looks new is that there are a ton of classes to play. But in the end, if the game play or style is similar to WoW, WAR and others, what are they expecting that will keep players entertained before running back to a more established game that offers the same thing?

Im not trying to troll, QQ or flame. I'm literally just wondering what the hook or angle will be in this game to keep it going.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Were you under a rock while this game basically gave out free beta testing for the past 4 months? Meh.

Do a little Search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of pro/con threads. Some are even on this front page, no need for another thread.

I guess if you want a one word answer:

Rifts.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

it's a polished MMO with a great class and rift system.  it's just a good game.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

It's pretty much the same MMO with a new skin and different layout, which I guess could be appealing to some people.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by jusomdude

It's pretty much the same MMO with a new skin and different layout, which I guess could be appealing to some people.

Which one?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• whosaidwhatwhosaidwhat Member Posts: 35

Game is polished, which actually means it has few bugs, but other then that it is just so average.  I have done the last 3 beta plus the open.  And still nothing more then just average. 

And listening to in game chat, it seems the most who love Rift love it just becuase its not World of Warcraft.  But if you do decide to play, wait for trial or buddy keys.  

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Aren't Rifts just a fancy word for GM events?

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

It is fun.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Tazlor

it's a polished MMO with a great class and rift system.  it's just a good game.

This.^^

The OP basically read my mind, however.  But, like Tazlor stated, it is polished and has a fun combination of classes.  Secondly, while this game will take only a small bit of WoW's player base - it will most likely destroy what's left of  Warhammer.  And after the months of snide forum remarks (Paul Barnett - you really made an arse out of yourself sir) and outright ignoring the community about glaring issues and the handful of ideas they forgot to implement from Dark Age of Camelot - they deserve to perish - plus they fired most of Mythic's brilliant talent and replaced their creativity department with a propoganda machine that lied or ignored its player base and instead of RvR IN THE FACE - really gave us a kick in the "you-know-whats."

I wanted Warhammer to work - I knew from day 1 it wouldn't (and I loved Dark Age of Camelot).  So, Rifts, in a nutshell, will hopefully destroy the last remants of Warhammer (oh yeah baby!) - and Dark Age will get a second look (after 7 years of waiting).   

Another reason that is more viable for non Dark Age fans (lol) the mere fact that for the first time since 2004's WoW release *once they figured out how to cure the first week of lag and crashing* - the game is releasing with little if any issues.  

While I am not a fan boy of Rifts (I facepalmed when I saw that Warfronts were just flag capture BGs and not persistant castle siege battlezones), I enjoy and appreciate that it is at least a fun game that took a lot of what we already have had from the WoW genre (ignoring housing, real cultures, advanced crafting, and advanced pvp from the previous models), and made it shiny and polished. Also, their Rifts system is a lot better than Warhammer's failed Public Quest idea (which was nice to begin with but like everything in that game they just let go the talent and failed to improve).

So, if you want 1 reason why this is worth playing: Rifts themselves are pretty neat - you know they expand outward and can wreck an entire area if left unchalllenged?

If you want 2 reasons - Rifts - and Polished.

Three reasons: RIfts, Polished, Fresh Start.

I get a fresh start in Rifts - and by golly - I'll make one toon and stick with it!

/my 2 cents.

• black_ifritblack_ifrit Member Posts: 45

No rifts are not a GM event they can happen anyware at anytime. They spawn invasion mobs that can take over towns and make foot holds. Then those foot holds can spawn more invasion mobs if there not taken out. If you go to http://riftgame.com and read up on the game you can find out what they are and how they work.

Originally posted by ZigZags

Aren't Rifts just a fancy word for GM events?

I'd be much more inclined to play the game if they were GM events, but they are no where near as interesting. They're just like random mob portals, that start out porting in weak mobs then build up to tougher mobs porting in.

They're sorta dynamic but not really. They're dynamic that they pop up kinda randomly, but they pretty much always behave the same way, so that's not really dynamic.

Originally posted by whosaidwhat

Game is polished, which actually means it has few bugs, but other then that it is just so average.  I have done the last 3 beta plus the open.  And still nothing more then just average. 

And listening to in game chat, it seems the most who love Rift love it just becuase its not World of Warcraft.  But if you do decide to play, wait for trial or buddy keys.  

Average.

Average is a curious word.  It is a suggestive word.  Yet, it is a subjective word.

Average in what sense?

Of course, this turns it into one of those comparison threads that gets locked as people are referred to the comparison thread that is not locked...but...

Average would suggest there is better (and worse).

The way it is stated, suggests that overall there are better games (for this one to be Average).  Yet again, this is subjective.  Are there games that are better on all fronts to make RIFT Average?  Are there certain aspects of the game that are not as good as other games - and thus - make RIFT Average?

So once again we get back to the discussion that should take place in the comparison thread.

I guess it is just a case of the OP asking what the appeal of the game is to people...and your reply not really answering it.  There is just the vague and subjective reference to the game being Average without any...well, anything behind it.

Just saying...

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I did, they sound just like EQ when GMs would spawn invasion forces. Or any other game where the Dev's/GMs wanted to add randomness and excitement. I like the idea of the Rifts system, if there is a point to it. Otherwise it seems like it could turn out to be just as bland as scenarios/warfronts/battlegrounds are.

The rifts add a little randomness to the game, but once you experience them a few times, they really aren't that exciting.

The rifts add a little randomness to the game, but once you experience them a few times, they really aren't that exciting.

To you.

There are others that do find them exciting, time and time again.

They are subjective - pretty much like any feature of any game (or anything in life).

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Come back in 2 months and we ll see how exciting rifts still are. They re very unevetful after a few times.

• testament1testament1 Member Posts: 36

The whole point of playing games is to have fun. 

Rift is fun as hell. 

No other reason is needed. 

I hate to say it - I've heard that statement countless times.  However, I can still refer to the game's polish and fresh start it will be offering.

Secondly, the Rifts are a step in the right direction.  These guys cannot release a 4 expansion pack mmorpg off the bat.  So while Rifts may not be permanently intriguing, it is a noted centerpiece of the game that can be built on.

Finally - though it's a pain in the butt since Johnny Griefer tends to be unemployed and has ample time to max level, a pvp server might be your best bet.  I would pick pvp - RP - not because Rifts has the courage to actually do more than title a server RP (they won't for example, give two potatos about Johnny Griefer typing the word pwn, leet, penis, or otherwise ruining general chat with "whatz an arpee?" comments.  You will, hoever, find  find some decent guilds with at least a mature sense that still enjoy the more dangerous environment that pvp brings to an otherwise repetitive world.  You can predict rifts all day by looking at the map - but you never really know just who else will be there when you decide to get sleepy and bored while grinding one down.

/my 2 cents.

Originally posted by testament1

Rift is fun as hell. 

BINGO!

That is the simple appeal for many people.  They find the game fun.  Why they find it fun does not matter, does it?  What is fun for one person is not necessarily fun for another.

Just because Person A does not find the game to be fun, does not mean that Person B will not.  Much in the same way that just because Person B does find it fun, does not mean that Person A will.

For many people, they simply find RIFT to be fun.

I cannot put my finger on it - I dislike the character customization options, I hate the glaring disconnect between the game lore and the game play, and there are a bunch of little things here and there that I find wrong with it... but damn, in the end - I just find it to be fun.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

It's already been said, but the game is polished and pretty much finished.  You know that if you buy it right now, when the game launches you are going to be able to play a pretty bug-free game.  That is a selling point right there.  You don't have to deal with the indy release crap.  As far as the game being fun, fun is completely subjective. 

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

I played the open beta and I uninstalled it before it was over. The game was polished and the Rifts were interesting until they started popping up everywhere. You are almost forced to be involved in the Rift events in some cases as you cannot get to quest locations when there are a dozen of them on the map. I am not sure if the numbers of these things were increased for testing or not. I never left the first zone and reached level 21.  One boss mob out of the Rift had almost 400k hit points. It took several dozen players about 15 min to bring it down. Rift is your game if you want to be able to simply jump into mindless combat at very short notice. In the end, I got the feeling that I had seen this all before but on steroids. As I said, the game is polished but IMO rather shallow.

Rift is fun as hell. 

I have posted a number of long winded essays on why I want to play Rifts - even though I come from a much more advanced title (Dark Age of Camelot)  and thusly have much higher expectations than most.  But darnit if Testament1 didn't say it the way it needed to be said:

RIFT is fun as hell.  No other reason is needed. 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Rift is fun as hell. 

Fun is subjective. To me the game seems like the same boring garbage and the same outdated mechanics that game companies have been trying to pass off as MMOs for the past 8 years. Why would I have fun doing what wasn't fun 8 years ago?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It s not really fun at all. To me anyways, and many others. Alot find it fun I guess.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Rift is fun as hell. 

Fun is subjective. To me the game seems like the same boring garbage and the same outdated mechanics that game companies have been trying to pass off as MMOs for the past 8 years. Why would I have fun doing what wasn't fun 8 years ago?

You would not have fun if it is not your thing.  That has nothing to do with the thread topic.

What is the appeal?  It is fun.

If there is no fun, there is no appeal - if it has no appeal, what does it matter?

Are you here looking for somebody to convince you that the game is fun for you - when you have stated that it is not?  Are you looking for somebody to prove you wrong?  Why?  It is either fun for you or it is not... it either appeals to your or it does not appeal to you.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Rift is fun as hell. 

BINGO!

That is the simple appeal for many people.  They find the game fun.  Why they find it fun does not matter, does it?  What is fun for one person is not necessarily fun for another.

Just because Person A does not find the game to be fun, does not mean that Person B will not.  Much in the same way that just because Person B does find it fun, does not mean that Person A will.

For many people, they simply find RIFT to be fun.

I cannot put my finger on it - I dislike the character customization options, I hate the glaring disconnect between the game lore and the game play, and there are a bunch of little things here and there that I find wrong with it... but damn, in the end - I just find it to be fun.

Sure the game can be fun to people, but what puzzles me is, what makes this game more fun than any previous themepark game?

The gameplay is exactly the same as WoW, LotR, RoM, WAR, DAoC, etc

So I guess if you still think those games are fun, then this game will be fun to you.

But if you OP, are bored of the typical MMO, then RIFT will doubtfully cure what ailes ya.

This discussion has been closed.