Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So your favorite Role Skill in Rift so far

xover33xover33 Member Posts: 70

So I know a lot of people are going to talk about the Voidknight spammable DPS range skill (forgot the name sorry) but I know everyone did not play a Voidknight.

So with the classes that you rolled what is your favorite skill to use over your course of playing your class.

For me I rolled a Riftstalker/Bard/Bladedancer  Tank and my favorite skill that I had was The Shadow Assualt with the full improved Shadow Assualt which added 40 percent more damage.  Nothing was greater than seeing a healer hidden behind a tree and me getting him to within site with no obstructions then just Phase Walking right behind them and unloading on them.  It might have not killed the Healer but it took them out of what they do best which is healing others and worry about getting away from me.

Comments

• AstrinaAstrina Member UncommonPosts: 46

I had a Ranger/Marksman/Bard setup and I really enjoyed it. Great for solo and ranged play styles. Not sure how it is at higher levels, but I did get to the mid 20's and found it to be a nice solid blend. My main focus was on the ranger, so the largest amount of points were dedicated to that soul.

The starting tank pet was very useful and manages to keep aggro very well.  The second pet is a damage pet and at my level, I found it to be quite a bit less useful. Did not notice that much of a damage difference from the first pet and this one did not keep aggro.

I tried a variety of souls in all the branches. Gotta say, I really did appreciate that portion of the game. Quite a few options and directions. Gives everyone a real opportunity to be unique in their skills if they wish.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85

Sentinel/warden/something,  the best!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Marksman/Bard/Saboteur was awesome and rolling it day 1.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

DPS Mage - Pyromancer/Elementalist/(TBD): First time I really enjoyed playing a squishy mage in a fantasy MMO. Pyromancer +Elementalist are very good with each other, but I'm still on the fence as to what my third soul will be.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

Played a Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Assassin (0 in Assassin, just for the basic poisons) from beta4 and loved it - tanking as a rogue really is fun. Then I fell in love with my Necro/Warlock/Chloro. So I'll probably mix it up with both on two characters.

• kamenwatikamenwati Member Posts: 168

Cadence.

• highvoltahighvolta Member UncommonPosts: 130

paladin/warlord/reaver good tank build. Lots of buffs aswell. 

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Pure Heal Build for group PvP Sent/Ward/Pur....

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Because I flat out cannot decide on just one character, I'm going with 2 for release. I'll so with:

Rogue  =  Nightblade/Riftstalker/Ranger

and play along with my wife as:

Cleric = Inquisitor/Justicar/Sentinel

Joined - July 2004

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by kamenwati

Cadence.

You see, I had a problem with that; as a Riftstalker, I tried slotting Bard and what I found was, I'd be a whirling Dervish of blade and fury, striking my enemies and spraying blood in all directions and then; I'd pause, run a brief legato and maybe hit a power chord, then get back to the killing.

It just didn't feel cool.

• sage22sage22 Member Posts: 1

For PvP nothing beats the VoidKnight's Power Sink. I could make a good 5-10 casters completely worthless in less than 10 seconds. Just charge into the middle of them, activate rift shield + power sink, and watch their mana drop like a rock and getting 5 pacts/sec = pretty extreme dps.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Sab- Detonate!

its fun leading EVERY WF in killing blows

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82

I'm Sentinel/Warden/Purifier, my plan was to put more point into sentinel, but i discovered that my play style was leaning more toward the warden class. I was level 24 so that might change but i like the choices offered in the soul trees and i'm always wondering where i should put my points because i want everything.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Marksman/Bard/Saboteur was awesome and rolling it day 1.

I tried this and rued taking the Marksman - I'll try it again with ranger or a melee oriented build on release.

To answer the original question,  the Riftblade's ranged snare attack  - ice something, was great for both PVP and solo play.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Assassin/BladeDancer will be what I go with. Heavy in Assassin for improved stealth, and slip away which is fun to play with and such a useful skill. I know I pissed off quite a few warfronts when I would come in behind the pack and drop thier casters instantly. Just for them to turn around and find I had vanished. Light in BladeDancer so far, as I only got to level 35, but did get dex bonus. Plus, soloing with the class is a breese when your mowing down your targets and can get item pickups with ease. I might make a paladin-ish character somewhere down the line.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Warden - Ripple - Has a great effect.  Truely a well designed skill.

• kamenwatikamenwati Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Mulli

Originally posted by kamenwati

Cadence.

You see, I had a problem with that; as a Riftstalker, I tried slotting Bard and what I found was, I'd be a whirling Dervish of blade and fury, striking my enemies and spraying blood in all directions and then; I'd pause, run a brief legato and maybe hit a power chord, then get back to the killing.

It just didn't feel cool.

Ahh, well there's your problem. I would play Cadence a couple of times, lulling my enemy, and then ASSASSINATE THEM. I just imagined I had the guitar case from Desperado.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

My cleric:

Cabalist for ranged magic, AoE spells, DoTs, teleport etc.

Shaman for melee damage moves, buffs and damage absorbing ward

Purifier for group and self heals (hit me and you heal me <3), buffs and damage absorbing wards

Playing with this was just like stepping into MacGyver's boots. You had tricks for every situation, you did nice dps for all ranges and you were just damn hard to kill. 

Of course in instance I switched into full warden build and hope I don't end up with, yet  another "rogue tank" that dies with 2 hits. (Since warden only has heal over times)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Right now I'm favoring a Nightblade heavy  Nightblade/Assassin/Bladedancer combo.What I liek about the Nightblade is it's dps versatily in that you can medium range dps if you have to.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

For me it would have to be mage. My combination is elementalist/dominator/chloromancer. Here are the things i could do. I hit like a truck. critting for 650 at level 20. i could cc any dungeon effectively. I could assist with heals in rifts or dungeons or just heal myself. i had several pets. i could mana drain and absorb the mana into myself midfight. I also have an ability that will bring my mana to 100 percent after every fight. i could dot. i could do good aoe damage. i had several knockback moves. Nothings funner than being in a warfront on top of a mountain spamming mass damage on a warrior while watching him struggle to get to you. then when he finally does you use a knockback move that knocks him away from you. lololol. I have been playing mmos since eq 1. and i have ALWAYS played a warrior class as my main. its nice to see a game that has a system that is customizable enough to get me to play another class as a main. rift is win IMO.

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

My Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Bard from last beta was fun. I played him with a very heavy focus on Riftstalker tanking, and I friggin' loved the various planeshifting abilities. Being able to zip around Rifts by teleporting was just pure awesome, especially when you used one of the teleport-attack abilities.

Less awesome, however, was all the times I teleported into the scenery and fell through the world... which was a lot. I hope they get that aspect of plane shifting fixed before launch.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Forum ate my post! Hate when that happens, at least it's more rare than in years past...

I like the planeshift abilities of the Riftstalker. Playing a Riftstalker, you should really focus as many points into the tree as possible as you progress.  I liked Nightblade as a second soul for stealth and the ranged stealth opener. Stealth, ranged stealth opener, planeshift skill and unload. I also love the Riftstalker self heal, which heals you a certain percent of your max health per combo point when a foe dies with combo points on it. Single target grinding with no down time is great around level 18+.

I took Ranger as the third soul at early levels, for the pet. Switched to Bard around level 12 and it worked well.

With retail, I'll focus on getting a Rogue to 13, then collecting the other souls, before settling into a primary role. I'll be starting with Marksman/Ranger/Saboteur. At early levels I was just tearing things up. Pet was great to control aggro and the Saboteur AoE 70% slow, combined with the Marskman's speed boosting attack skills, provided excellent mob management and escape (when needed) if adds made things complicated. Didn't die once leveling to 13, which is very unusual for me with other characters I tried during beta.

One cool thing about the soul system is that certain combos become more viable, alone or in combinations, as you level up and have more skill points to spend. You can stick with a linear progression using your three starting souls, if you want, but the game can also reward you for swapping things up as you progress.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated