Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Masthead Studios Interview

kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

I run a multi-platform gaming site (Game-Pad.net). We recently got in touch with Masthead who agreed to answer a few of our questions. Atanas Atanasov, director of Masthead Studios and producer of Earthrise was on hand to give some pretty interesting answers.

Check out the interview here. Hope this answers some of your questions for these guys!

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by kikinchaz

I run a multi-platform gaming site (Game-Pad.net). We recently got in touch with Masthead who agreed to answer a few of our questions. Atanas Atanasov, director of Masthead Studios and producer of Earthrise was on hand to give some pretty interesting answers.

Check out the interview here. Hope this answers some of your questions for these guys!

Nice interview, thanks for posting it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

"The current state of the game is the one everyone sees and we feel that given the time, budget and experience of the team, the state of the game is good. Although there are issues that everyone notes and criticizes such as lag and low frame rate, we believe that what is important is the core game mechanics and the game potential. Performance is being improved at the moment and the game will run even better (implying it runs well now) in a few months."

Is he on crack?

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Gintoh

"The current state of the game is the one everyone sees and we feel that given the time, budget and experience of the team, the state of the game is good. Although there are issues that everyone notes and criticizes such as lag and low frame rate, we believe that what is important is the core game mechanics and the game potential. Performance is being improved at the moment and the game will run even better (implying it runs well now) in a few months."

Is he on crack?

he is nor ENG native so you should ask what good means for him not all ppl have same view about good

BestSigEver :P

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by cosy

Is he on crack?

he is nor ENG native so you should ask what good means for him not all ppl have same view about good

I don't care what language is your primary. If you can speak english, you know at the very least "good" means "acceptable." ...and it isn't.

Joined - July 2004

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by remyburke

Originally posted by cosy

Is he on crack?

I don't care what language is your primary. If you can speak english, you know at the very least "good" means "acceptable." ...and it isn't.

It depends really. I'd say the state of the game itself is pretty good, but the lag certainly is unacceptable. We actually got a review copy sent from their publishers, but will be holding off on any proper coverage of the game until it's actually playable because right now with the lag it just...isn't.

It depends where the source of the lag lies. His answer to the question regarding lag was abit unclear - but it sounded like he was saying it's client side. If the lag stays it will break the game, if they can eradicate it fairly quick I have alot of hope for it.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

To the poster above,

Why hold off on the review?  The game is officially released, giving it extra time to work bugs out is unfair to all the other games you will review without giving them time.   If they release the game, they are saying it is a finished product and it is ready for review. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the answer to the last question in that interview was kinda weird......."why travel to space if theres a whole planet to discover (earth after cataclysm)?"..........

---- isnt it a sci fi game? adventuring/PvEing/PVPing/questing in and outside planet earth  would be some of the best features any sci fi game would have.....in my opinion.... sci fi games that stick to either space only or 1 planet only get boring very quick in terms of PvE and adventuring

Originally posted by Talonsin

To the poster above,

Why hold off on the review?  The game is officially released, giving it extra time to work bugs out is unfair to all the other games you will review without giving them time.   If they release the game, they are saying it is a finished product and it is ready for review. 

Because I pretty much can't even play it, the lag more often than not right now is literally unplayable. There's no way I can give a proper review for an MMO without being able to play. Don't get me wrong, the launch issues will be mentioned in the final review, but as it stands I basically can't even play the game. I can't review a game I can't play.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

and that really says all there is to say about the state of the game currently. The 'miracle' patch was supposed to be the release client... to me, it added the cgi intro and that appears to be it. The server side patches do not seem to have improved the game for me a jot. From my perspective it is just taking it on faith that they have actually been making progress in getting the game playable.

I've put a good few hours into the game, but by god they were frustrating hours, not enjoyment... and the reason being I didn't want to fall behind the curve with the game being so very gear centric. Apparently a true patch is coming tomorrow, not exactly holding my breath that this one is the miracle either, but you never know.

Originally posted by Ruinal

and that really says all there is to say about the state of the game currently. The 'miracle' patch was supposed to be the release client... to me, it added the cgi intro and that appears to be it. The server side patches do not seem to have improved the game for me a jot. From my perspective it is just taking it on faith that they have actually been making progress in getting the game playable.

There was actually quite a decent chunk of good changes in the launch patch in fairness. But the main issue (lag) is still making the game largely unplayable. I actually played for an hour or two near the end of beta and had few second delay, but it was still playable just irritating. However each time I've tried playing so far the lag is literally between 5-10 seconds delay in everything I do, at times even worse. So for me it's got worse from beta to launch, however that could simply be down to the time of day I played, as I recall playing the beta early in the morning UK time but each time I've tried the launch version has been at fairly peak times.

I do have faith, the devs are communicating pretty well on the forums and are clearly working hard to sort out the issues. The lag fix just needs to come soon, very soon.

• DereknorDereknor Member Posts: 35

just click on "Ratings" at top of this page. The Ratings and Comments of people who actually bought the game is better then any review or interview.

Watching the Ratings, noone can really say that the game is in a good state ;)

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file