Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMOFPS?

124»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Yeah, Planetside Next is gonna be purdy. :3

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Deivos

You realize that Duke was prodding at you with that commentary, right Geo?

You just agreed that you have 'retard disease'...

Aside from that. You keep railing on subcategories. You have enough flexibility to accept a lobby game as an MMO, but you can't perceive crossing genres of gameplay? And like I said before, it's not niddly little aspects that makes it an RPG/FPS. It has a full progression and stat tracking system, it's got everything it needs mechanically to be an RPG. It plays as a FPS, but plying as an FPS doesn't mean it's strictly an FPS. Mass Effect 2 plays just the same. Guns have a baseline and don't necessarily progress in damage as you level, but you rank up and can earn new things that modify and augment tour play. Yet it's called an RPG, why? Because it's sold as such. And that's the only difference.

Bioshock

Deus Ex

Fallout 3

Hellgate London

Mass Effect

Neocron

PlanetSide

Stalker

System Shock

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

These all play as FPS and RPG games. Some have more linear progression, some are nonlinear. But the clear tie are that they all do the exact same things Blackout and others do. In this case it's just denial by saying since they didn't tack the RPG part on themselves, then it doesn't exist, which is just as nonsense as letting them call the game something it's blatantly not.

I've been using the definitions to show that they don't live up to the title. Very distinctly, the fact that ay one calls a lobby a persistent world is one of the annoyance points, because it's a freaking chatroom, a small quick forum at best.

And if your statement that you agree is true, then you're arguing semantics for the sake of defending flawed logic, which makes even less sense to me.

The whole term MMO is opinionated.

MMOFPS is an online gaming genre which features a persistent world and a large number of simultaneous players in a first-person shooter fashion.[10][11] These games provide large-scale, sometimes team-based combat. The addition of persistence in the game world means that these games add elements typically found in RPGs, such as experience points.[citation needed] However, MMOFPS games emphasize player skill more than player statistics, as no number of in-game bonuses will compensate for a player's inability to aim and think tactically.[12]

Thats the thing, there will never be a solid term for these games. By this definition of a MMOFPS u can call CoD a MMOFPS, but do people? No. Should it be by definition? Yes. Is this a endless arguement? Yes.

And I thought he was talking about other people on the forum, but I think he would agree even with this statement that MMO is such a opinionated term tossed around for market gain. Like I said up there to, do I think any FPS should be a MMO? No. But are they called them? Yes. So should I call them what there developers and subsites call them? Yes to be politically correct.

Originally posted by Irishoak

This has degraded to parsing English and insults, I did not see that coming.

On a serious note, I'm sort of excited about Planetside Next Phase in Getting Cash From People or whatever they called it. But yeah, market seems a bit thin. It's like asking who the best Alaskan bullfighter is.

Yeah I agree man. Ive been trying to stop it all night but people keep going off subject. And yeah im looking forward to Planetside Next Phase since I didnt play the first one due to lack of attraction... ill definatly look at this one though when it comes out.

That's not being politically correct.

You'll notice on the part you left out of that wiki article it lists 'mmofps' games.

The original MMOFPS, World War II Online was released was on June 6, 2001 and later renamed Battleground Europe. This game has a thriving community and is constantly being upgraded. Neocron is sometimes considered the first MMOFPS,[12][13] most consider it a hybrid of MMORPG and first-person shooter,[14][15] with the later PlanetSide sometimes considered the first MMOFPS.[16] Upcoming MMOFPS titles include FirefallTribes Universe and PlanetSide Next.

Not even Wiki includes things like BlackShot or it's kin. The only one's listed there are the truly large scale one's that I've been arguing for.

This is also ignoring again the remark of persistent game world, which those titles listed are the only one's that actually have such. Which is likely again why they are the only ones provided as example.

And that's another problem, people abusing the definition, become lax on it's contents, and opening the floodgates to illogical labels. By definition provided there CoD can't be called an MMOFPS for the very same reasons I state BlackShot, Blackout, etc can't. Apply the definition in full, and then you'll get the point.

Which is why I say that if you call those games an MMOFPS, even if to just agree with the developers using it wrongly, then you should be 'politically correct' and call every game like it an MMOFPS too. 

Either reject the lies or accept them, don't dance about like the fool.

If you're a reviewer, then review it like the 'MMOFPS' it's supposed to be and punish it for it's lies. Be correct as much as you wish to be politically correct.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

That's not being politically correct.

You'll notice on the part you left out of that wiki article it lists 'mmofps' games.

The original MMOFPS, World War II Online was released was on June 6, 2001 and later renamed Battleground Europe. This game has a thriving community and is constantly being upgraded. Neocron is sometimes considered the first MMOFPS,[12][13] most consider it a hybrid of MMORPG and first-person shooter,[14][15] with the later PlanetSide sometimes considered the first MMOFPS.[16] Upcoming MMOFPS titles include FirefallTribes Universe and PlanetSide Next.

Not even Wiki includes things like BlackShot or it's kin. The only one's listed there are the truly large scale one's that I've been arguing for.

This is also ignoring again the remark of persistent game world, which those titles listed are the only one's that actually have such. Which is likely again why they are the only ones provided as example.

And that's another problem, people abusing the definition, become lax on it's contents, and opening the floodgates to illogical labels. By definition provided there CoD can't be called an MMOFPS for the very same reasons I state BlackShot, Blackout, etc can't. Apply the definition in full, and then you'll get the point.

Which is why I say that if you call those games an MMOFPS, even if to just agree with the developers using it wrongly, then you should be 'politically correct' and call every game like it an MMOFPS too. 

Either reject the lies or accept them, don't dance about like the fool.

If you're a reviewer, then review it like the 'MMOFPS' it's supposed to be and punish it for it's lies. Be correct as much as you wish to be politically correct.

Im done argueing with a know it all. Nothing goes through your thick skull because you have it in your mind you are right. Go tell MMOHut that he is wrong. He will agree with me.

Im done though. This threads not about that subject. This threads about good MMOFPS games.

Then make it about good MMOFPS games.

And you just completely regressed in your argument. Sure, I'll go to MMOHut and talk to him too. I'll see if he's as much got his head stuck in the ground. If he agrees with you that only proves there's two people who are in denial.

Aslo interesting to note. Project Blackout site actually calls themselves an 'Online FPS Battlefield', not an MMOFPS. So it's the reviewer that mislabeled the game, not even the developers.

EDIT: As they describe it 'Project Blackout is an online tactical first-person shooter'.

That's right. Zepetto the developers and even the publishers NCSoft and NCTrue don't actually consider the game an MMOFPS. They don't even call it an MMOFPS.

It was in fact MMOHut and the 'reviewers' then that have subsequently labeled the title wrongly.

Then make it about good MMOFPS games.

And you just completely regressed in your argument. Sure, I'll go to MMOHut and talk to him too. I'll see if he's as much got his head stuck in the ground. If he agrees with you that only proves there's two people who are in denial.

Aslo interesting to note. Project Blackout site actually calls themselves an 'Online FPS Battlefield', not an MMOFPS. So it's the reviewer that mislabeled the game, not even the developers.

EDIT: As they describe it 'Project Blackout is an online tactical first-person shooter'.

That's right. Zepetto the developers and even the publishers don't actually consider the game an MMOFPS. They don't even call it an MMOFPS.

It was in fact MMOHut and the 'reviewers' then that have subsequently labeled the title wrongly.

"Project Blackout raises the bar for immersion in MMO shooters." They do call them selfs a MMO. Its on there site. And im looking forward to the new Planetside Next Phase game that people pages ago talked about and the Firefall game as well. I will take a look at those and maybe... maybe I will like them. But right now being a FPS player, Project Blackout by far has the best regestration of my shots than any other non FPS or MMOFPS out there. Thats just my opinion. Im looking forward to the Call Of Duty MMO as well that is coming out in 2013 and possibly the Halo MMO or Scifi MMO that Blizzard is working on.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Geo, best bet around here is to just say "online" instead of "MMO". You'll still get some people frothing at the mouth for even bringing it up on MMORPG.com but at least the thread will be remotely salvagable.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Geo, best bet around here is to just say "online" instead of "MMO". You'll still get some people frothing at the mouth for even bringing it up on MMORPG.com but at least the thread will be remotely salvagable.

Haha yeah im not discussing that topic anymore... thats why my last post I brought up some upcoming games. I know this is a flame forum so I was prepared for this haha.

Ah damn, I got so giddy when the first thing I was presented with called the game an online shooter instead of an MMO, and the second thing I found reaffirmed it. Guess they had to mess it up sooner or later.

Granted, they say that once when they refer to immersive battlefields. Where your quote comes from. Whereas their wiki they describe themselves as 'Project Blackout is an online tactical first-person shooter developed by Zepetto, a South Korean company. It has been launched in South Korea (published by NCSoft) in March 2008, Thailand (published by NCTrue, Feb. 2009), Indonesia (published by PT. Kreon, Jul. 2009), Russia (by INNOVA, Jan. 2010) and Brazil (published by OnGame, Aug. 2010) and will soon launch in China (by Shanda, in 4th Qt. 2010), Turkey (by Nfinity games, 3rd Qt. 2010) and North America.'

Ah damn, I got so giddy when the first thing I was presented with called the game an online shooter instead of an MMO, and the second thing I found reaffirmed it. Guess they had to mess it up sooner or later.

Granted, they say that once when they refer to immersive battlefields. Where your quote comes from. Whereas their wiki they describe themselves as 'Project Blackout is an online tactical first-person shooter developed by Zepetto, a South Korean company. It has been launched in South Korea (published by NCSoft) in March 2008, Thailand (published by NCTrue, Feb. 2009), Indonesia (published by PT. Kreon, Jul. 2009), Russia (by INNOVA, Jan. 2010) and Brazil (published by OnGame, Aug. 2010) and will soon launch in China (by Shanda, in 4th Qt. 2010), Turkey (by Nfinity games, 3rd Qt. 2010) and North America.'

Hey they are korean... they dont understand basic english... they just put random stuff everywhere haha.

So taking the one instance of the word MMOFPS you run with it?Even when presented with alternative descriptors by the developers themselves.

That's not being politically correct, that's a conscious choice by the reviewers.

Even their facebook page says 'Project Blackout is a free-to-play online FPS that pits players against players in a wide variety of game modes.'

So taking the one instance of the word MMOFPS you run with it?Even when presented with alternative descriptors by the developers themselves.

That's not being politically correct, that's a conscious choice by the reviewers.

Even their facebook page says 'Project Blackout is a free-to-play online FPS that pits players against players in a wide variety of game modes.'

You remind me of my self when I thought it was fun to agrue with people. It clearly says on there site... not wikipedia... not some other site... Project Blackout raises the bar for immersion in MMO shooters.

They may be wrong? Who cares. I dont.

Well by your own remark on them 'just putting random stuff' I'm inclined to believe the single instance of 'mmo shooters' is more fluke than their four plus instances of 'online FPS'

They may be wrong, yes. And I find that important because when looking for an MMOFPS I expect an MMOFPS, not a daft FPS.

Combat Arms - their web portal is emblazoned with 'Online FPS Action'

AVA - describes themselves as 'The Highest Quality Free-To-Play FPS game on the market!'

S4 League - 'S4 League is a high-quality Third-Person Shooter'

Genesis AD - 'Genesis A.D is the fusion of tactical, team-based gameplay with fast-action “twitchtastic” gameplay which result in a very unique game within the free to play shooters genre.'

Cross Fire - 'Free Online FPS'

Gunz - 'A unique 3RD Person Shooter with fast paced action!'

Battlefield Heroes - Free FPS - Free Shooter Game - Online Shooter

Wolf Team - 'It's a true FPS.'

Quake Live - 'Hottest multiplayer FPS on the web!'

War Rock - 'Free to Play Online FPS Game'

Project Blackout - 'The Online FPS Battlefield' (their web page's header)

Those are all the games off MMOHuts top ten list as well as Project Blackout. The very first descriptor of the game represented is online shooters. It's buried in the description to find 'MMO' at all on Project blackout, and on the others I didn't find MMO, MMOFPS, or a permutation of such once in my cursory checks.

Now back to real MMOFPS titles.

I'd be more hyped about Firefall id I didn't know that it was supposed to be a PvP three faction game that got shafted due to bad budgeting. At least the engine was mostly done all ready and it should turn out to be a good game any ways.

Still won't pull me away from Planetside Next though, though I may play it occasionally as a distraction.

Tribes Universe concerns me, mostly because High Rez really only proved they can make a buggy product that doesn't live up to it's hype. Here's to hoping regardless.

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

And Neocron 2 ? Nobody could talk about this mmo artifact ? O.O

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Wolfy2449

u can try global agenda its quite good

Expect from the

lack of content

sniper becomes game breaking when its on skilled hands. 2 a very high level compared to other pro players in games

Lol? Snipercons are useless. Best way to loose a match is having plenty of snipercons on your team. Yeah, you ll get nice scorings on DPS and little deaths but your team will loose the game anyway becouse, in the end, the matches are about controlling the point, and you don't do that miles away from it.

But anyway, answering the OP. GA is not an MMO, this simple. 

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Just because I like pouring pure gasoline on a roaring flame war....

Has anyone considered that the term 'massively' could have a different number attached to to it depending on genre? We know that MMORPGs put 'massive' at server population around 1000 to 3000 concurrent plyaers. But for something more network intensive, like an FPS or an RTS, the number of concurrent players would be something way lower. I think Planetside had an upward cap of 400 and MAG has 250 players per server. Hell, I played on original Tribes servers that hosted about 120 players at once back in the days of 56K. So an MMOFPS would need between 200 to 500 concurrent players?

Whoever said that a persistent would was not required was right. The important element is the MASS of people playing on the server at the same time, in the same virtual space. The level of mass that defines the MMOness of a game is really dependant on genre and the network demands that a given gaming genre would demand.

Who ever suggested A.V.A.... how can you expect me to review a game that exits after every match? It makes no sense! Lol. Ill have to look more into that, but till then im quite confuzzeled.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Planetside would be awesome if they updated the gfx and the gameplay a little bit, all of these Counter Strike like games are just garbage, they may be MMOG but they are not MMORPG's they are just an FPS with a bigger arena, and some bodged leveling up, the RPG elements are so vague it doesnt matter. 

A proper MMOFPS for me will have the right RPG elements, conquest of in game assets and territory ownership and something else to do besides just shooting everything. 

Again this is my opinion.

Originally posted by rav3n2

Planetside would be awesome if they updated the gfx and the gameplay a little bit, all of these Counter Strike like games are just garbage, they may be MMOG but they are not MMORPG's they are just an FPS with a bigger arena, and some bodged leveling up, the RPG elements are so vague it doesnt matter. 

A proper MMOFPS for me will have the right RPG elements, conquest of in game assets and territory ownership and something else to do besides just shooting everything. 

Again this is my opinion.

About that.

Here's a pic of a Terran Republic character model for the upcoming Planetside Next.

EDIT: PSU doesn't like hotlinking.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-exclusive-terran-republic-character-model-2440.htm