Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: Second First Impressions

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Aguitha

Problem is, i can wait no problem, can the dev wait for players (money) ?  That is the question.

my bet is the game wont suvive to much to get fixed

BestSigEver :P

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Divlas

No Eve didn't start the same way.

yes it did CCP almost go bankrupt after release

BestSigEver :P

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Korithian

I fully agree with the aricle 50 euros for this piece of trash is a slap in the face. The game is awful and short of a complete over haul the game has no chance, its ugly, laggy, makes little sence and then on top they are going for the PvP market which hasn't been a big market.

I also can't believe the developers can charge any money for this, normally if you got a product that was this bad you could get a refund but they know everyone would want one so they are refusing just so they can kill any chance of good will.

If you bought the game on internet, call your bank and chargeback. You'll get back your money. It is hard to tell whether it is lawful or not, as in certain juridictions a chargeback should only be used after fraud or  bank processing error. In some juridictions however it is admitted that a consumer can chargeback if he never received the goods as promised at the time of purchase.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

As a potential player, this is the info I wanted to know. I learned my lesson with FFabout AAA games released at FFF level and if the truth came out PRIOR to release many people would have saved a ton of money. Nevertheless,  it is sad that a game charging such a price as FF and ER released a game at all.

For me, the game remains on radar and hopefully will make it to the  price charged. One question to the staff, who is it that we address regarding such game status and will it help?

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

I was not surprised to read only negative things in this preview, it needs to satisfy everyone who hates Earthrise and its state. Now we have a balance. The very negative thing in this preview is that it doesn't say anything about the skill system and the crafting system, which are good. The whole point is to say how bad the game is because it is laggy, servers crash and so on and it repeats over and over. The only thing I agree with is the verdict - wait a few months, I am sure the game will be great by then. Why I am sure about that? In the last two weeks the servers are in much better condition, the progress is visible.

Oh and about the pricing - Why the reviewer did not mention the fact that the Earthtise team gave 1 free month of play, which basically makes the price of the game $35 or 35 EUR? Where else have we seen such a quick reaction by any MMO developer.

Can the reviewer or someone from the staff say the reason for skipping that information and saying only the negative things about the game? We want to be fair right?

Originally posted by vktra79

I was not surprised to read only negative things in this preview, it needs to satisfy everyone who hates Earthrise and its state. Now we have a balance. The very negative thing in this preview is that it doesn't say anything about the skill system and the crafting system, which are good. The whole point is to say how bad the game is because it is laggy, servers crash and so on and it repeats over and over. The only thing I agree with is the verdict - wait a few months, I am sure the game will be great by then. Why I am sure about that? In the last two weeks the servers are in much better condition, the progress is visible.

Oh and about the pricing - Why the reviewer did not mention the fact that the Earthtise team gave 1 free month of play, which basically makes the price of the game $35 or 35 EUR? Where else have we seen such a quick reaction by any MMO developer.

Can the reviewer or someone from the staff say the reason for skipping that information and saying only the negative things about the game? We want to be fair right?

No, the cost of the game was 50€, certainly not 35€. I would never have subscribed a second month to such a failed game, never. Hadn't they offered us a second month, they would have lost 60% of their community on the 4 of march. Now Masthead is able to claim that ER still has 5k players playing ER until april (that's a guess based on no evidence, I don't know how many players bought this game)

But to be sincere, even you offer me 10 years of free months on such a game, it won't mean that I saved 1000€... I can"t play, it's unplayable, unfinishedI I wasted 50€, that's it.

&&&& You should not care about how nice they are when they post. I recognize that they are nice, kind, and reactive. But they knew the state of their game when they released it! Was it honnest? 

We are not here to protect and encourage small  bulgarian companies, Masthead is not a charity, and we're not donators! Masthead is a business commercing on one of the most competitive market of the game industry, and honnestly, 15 days after the release, they are starting to enter into my blacklist. With the producers of DnL, FFXIV and SWG. 2 weeks, and still not a single patch... :s

Originally posted by Divlas

No, I would never have subscribed a second month to this game, NEVER. Hadn't they offered us a second month, they would have lost 60% of their community on the 4 of march. Now Masthead is able to claim that ER still has 5k players playing it until april (that's a guess based on no evidence, I don't know how many players bought this game)

To be sincere, even you offer me 10 years of free months on such a game, it won't mean that I saved 1000€! I can"t play!! I wasted 50€, that's it.

I don't care about how nice they are when they post, they knew the state of their game when releasing it! We are not here to protect and encourage small and medium bulgarian industries, we are here to play! Masthead is not a charity, and we're not donators!

Yes, you are right about that. If you don't like the game you wouldn't play it anyway. The point is that the preview did not share all facts but only the negative things. You can see that I don't recommend the game in the next few months either.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Come off it vktra, the devs gave an extra months play *because* the game was in such a horrible state. You still pay full whack for it and count yourself lucky if there is enough server 'up' time to get a month's worth of gameplay out of it.

ALL the issues are still there, lag desync, invisi mobs, dmz bug (cannot draw or sheathe weapon). The servers are only slightly more stable, it is not 'much better condition' at all.

Lets through in the lack of content which even the most basic sandboxes have and the review would be spot on. In its current state the game is a barely playable shambles.

And yes, I would love for it to get sorted and one day it may end up a decent game. I'm holding my breath for the end of March as if they haven't got things ironed out by then, most of the playerbase will vanish never to come back, myself included.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

This write up sounds a lot more like what I have been hearing about the game from people I know.   I'm glad this viewpoint is represented on the front page as the company behind this game deserves to be burned a bit for pushing something out that many people think feels like an Alpha test.

Originally posted by Ruinal

Come off it vktra, the devs gave an extra months play *because* the game was in such a horrible state. You still pay full whack for it and count yourself lucky if there is enough server 'up' time to get a month's worth of gameplay out of it.

ALL the issues are still there, lag desync, invisi mobs, dmz bug (cannot draw or sheathe weapon). The servers are only slightly more stable, it is not 'much better condition' at all.

Lets through in the lack of content which even the most basic sandboxes have and the review would be spot on. In its current state the game is a barely playable shambles.

And yes, I would love for it to get sorted and one day it may end up a decent game. I'm holding my breath for the end of March as if they haven't got things ironed out by then, most of the playerbase will vanish never to come back, myself included.

The preview is missing the whole information, but anyway I am not here to argue. I agree with you, those two months were given so everyone can see the improvements (hopefully). We still have 1.5 months, fingers crossed.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Eve had a couple of rollbacks. Other than that it had a hell of a lot of features in at launch and more importantly was *playable* and enjoyable. Earthrise is like pulling teeth at times.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

We also got another 30 days free due to all of these problems.. I agree on the post as I have a guild in earthrise, there are alot of jerks on the game, but not everyone is, we have one of few casual guilds that help new players.

So keep that in mind if you do play this and look around, look for Divided allegiance we are a crafting neutral guild, but we allow all factions in, so not everyone is like the Review said, but ya there are alot , but your gonna get that in games like ER.

APB was just as bad, not saying its right but hopefully some of those types will go away and the more mature style players will play, but letting you know we do exist in ER and we plan to stay in ER, as we have faith in them.

I was in beta for 6 months so I seen how they did things so I have faith.

Originally posted by Ruinal

The preview is missing the whole information, but anyway I am not here to argue. I agree with you, those two months were given so everyone can see the improvements (hopefully). We still have 1.5 months, fingers crossed.

I was ready to wait, but well, 25% of the free time is already gone. We still haven't seen the first patch. I took the decision to move back to Fallen Earth..As ER needs tons of patches, I'm scared of wasting 2 months on a game which is born to die.. Equally It's hard to get involved  in other mmos  knowing that you will leave them as soon as another one will become playable.

My belief is that the game will not survive one paying month in that state.  25% of the fre time is now gone. We have seen on SWG how hard it is to patch a game available on the market, how much damages even the smallest patch can make. The change needed here are massive.  I'm a bit sad, this game was really appealing. ://

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Admin
    I just want to point out that this is not  a "review" - both articles to this point are just first looks.  We don't like to review games until they have been out for a few months and the writer assigned has had time to run the game through its paces.
    Our competition seems to roll out reviews in days and a lot of our readers want this - so as a compromise we decided to do these "first look" articles just to let the community know what the thought of the game shortly after launch.
    I do agree that having two people do the first look is a cool idea.  Everyone has different opinions and after all, a review/first look is just one persons opinion after all.

I would say this first look is a lot closer to the reality I experienced. I never got to invisible mobs, but I did get a lot of lag spikes where nothing happened for 30 seconds or more, so the stuff described sounds pretty much like what I expect.

I would be awesome if they got the issues fixed and could start adding more content.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

The article describes things pretty much as they were in beta for me. I deleted the beta version of the game after only a couple of days, as it seemed obvious even then that there was no way the game would be fixed by launch.

Shame, as the concept  was good.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

great impression, i enjoyed it as much as the first impression if not more! i agree with other people who type that they are interested in the this game on paper but that in reality it is not what it could be in theory. if the game makes it to 1 year then that is when i will give it a try and ONLY then as a free trial :D you wouldn't believe how many free trials of eve i've played and while i somewhat enjoyed them i never got the full product cause i'm too casual of a gamer to devote time to something as crazy hardcore as eve or as crazy unpolished as ER. :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Mmorpg.com redeeming themselves after the horrible first impression. Nice.

• madcoilmadcoil Member UncommonPosts: 8

Can people stop saying things like "How many other games have had major performance issues on launch? The answer is too many to count." (this by the way was a defending argument for the game)  For people to state it is the norm so it is ok could possibly be the dumbest argument I've heard.  Yes it is true loads of mmos have issues on release AND it is true that the mmo community is to blame because we continue to pre-purchase these games, but none of that makes it right.  I didn't buy ER because of its issues and don't care if it gets better in the future at this point.  If you are going to put out a piece of crap product, what makes me think everything from this point forward isn't going to be crappy too?  I also keep hearing how good it looks after the tutorial.  I for one appreciate if a game looks good, but prefer content and stability over eye candy.  I use to get the feeling that mmo developers created a world that they would like to play in, now developers seem to be creating worlds just for profit with no real interest in the game they are creating.  They don't care about content or how the game itself plays which is why I feel so many mmos are failing.  Now for those elitist jerks that feel because they prefer more complex mmos they have a right to be aholes to players who ask questions (regardless of the tutorial information that can be read ingame) give it a rest.  If you are jerks ingame, you are jerks in your real lifes.  Is it so hard to simply tell someone the damn answer and politely suggest they use the ingame material for future questions?  Do you think your game time is sooooo important that basic courtesy can be ignored.  If so, you weren't raised right.

So after that very long rant, I completely agree with this article.  I certainly appreciate everyone sharing their opinions on this forum and I like to think I respect differing opinions when I hear them.  Unfortunately, I really don't see how anyone can give anything but bad feedback on this game.  To blindly follow a game with so many issues baffles me.  For those of you who are playing, I wish the game well so that your loyalty is rewarded.  For those of you on the fence, don't waste your money.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

agree, give it two -three months

So after that very long rant, I completely agree with this article.  I certainly appreciate everyone sharing their opinions on this forum and I like to think I respect differing opinions when I hear them.  Unfortunately, I really don't see how anyone can give anything but bad feedback on this game.  To blindly follow a game with so many issues baffles me.  For those of you who are playing, I wish the game well so that your loyalty is rewarded.  For those of you on the fence, don't waste your money.

You didn't buy ER and you still give some opinion on the product, that is a really informed opinion, LOL.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I genuinely hope that Masthead can improve this game more quickly than Aventurine or StarVault have done with their titles, but I wonder why it would be so.

They would have no more subs than the other two titles and hence they could afford to pay no more developers, so why will it improve more quickly.

Maybe Tera will be the game for those that dont want a WoW clone, and want something that is released in a reasonable state.

I think the customers have decided that the era of supporting indy devs during paid betas is pretty much over.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

"Oh and about the pricing - Why the reviewer did not mention the fact that the Earthtise team gave 1 free month of play, which basically makes the price of the game $35 or 35 EUR? Where else have we seen such a quick reaction by any MMO developer."

Weell, FF gave 2 free months after releasing a game that was not ready...by their account. The price does not drop, onlly more time to play a below par game while they fix the things they should have fixed prior to relase...Just a thought.

Originally posted by seabeast

"Oh and about the pricing - Why the reviewer did not mention the fact that the Earthtise team gave 1 free month of play, which basically makes the price of the game $35 or 35 EUR? Where else have we seen such a quick reaction by any MMO developer."

Weell, FF gave 2 free months after releasing a game that was not ready...by their account. The price does not drop, onlly more time to play a below par game while they fix the things they should have fixed prior to relase...Just a thought.

Well I didn't play that one. Anyway, the preview is not objective, it says what the mmorpg.com community wants to hear and I don't blame the reviewer.

• NateArcadeNateArcade Member UncommonPosts: 83

Originally posted by causs

Do second opinions like this on every MMO(RPG) (may it be positive or negative) and you'll be the n1 gamesite in no time.

Agreed - this is a feature I always respected in GameInformer

Originally posted by seabeast

Well I didn't play that one. Anyway, the preview is not objective, it says what the mmorpg.com community wants to hear and I don't blame the reviewer.

I did not play it ether, just addressing what you said about the free time and a quick reaction to a sub par game release.  I would think that the MMORPG.com community would want to hear/know about a game in its present state, if they wanted to know anything else they could have listened to the excessive hype, purchused the game and learned about problems then. I do beleive that the reviewer was objective mentioning numerous positives and if your into pretty grafics things would seem lala. However, for me, you can have pretty but if the  game lags and things do not work as advertized then I will wait and save my money.