Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: Second First Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Earthrise, recently released, has been the subject of intense conversation here at MMORPG.com since the publication of Garrett Fuller's 'First Impressions' article. To show that we at MMORPG.com are not part of the hive mind Borg, writer Adam Tingle has also taken a look at Earthrise and has a "Second Opinion" about the game based on his experiences. Check out Adam's thoughts and then leave a comment or two below.

Let's get it out in the open, regardless of game-play or potential for game-play, Earthrise's launch is an on-going disaster. The client itself is a buggy mess filled with performance issues, random crashes, lag, de-sync and all manner of debilitating errors - and this wouldn't be quite the sore issue if people were not paying out hard earned cash for this product.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Earthrise: Second Opinion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Why are companies allowed to release games in this state and make a profit. I think its bad business. While the game looks cool on paper, im all for it being a sandbox full on pvp like DF but at least wait until its ready.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I like the idea and might buy this in a year if it's still around. but the beta i tried was so awful i just deleted it from my harddrive.

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

I totally agree, and I thank the staffs for publishing a second opinion article. After seeing the first review and the new advertisements campaign promoting EarthRise on mmorpg.com, I have been  scared that many new players may commit the same mistake I did: buying a game which is in an unacceptable state.

It's not even a game, it's minecraft with a worst AI and better graphisms

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Problem is, i can wait no problem, can the dev wait for players (money) ?  That is the question.

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

A much better article than the first one.

"Why are companies allowed to release games in this state and make a profit."

Worst thing is that, 13 days after the release, there wasn't even a single patch because the devs want first to make sure that any improvements can pass their Quality Assurance test.

How the he.. did the game itself went through the QA test??

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I dont think the first article was bad, it is just not fair that there was little mention of the client issues.  Had she actually brought them up and gave them the attention they deserve, we would not have needed this second article. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I completely agree,

Thanks alot for posting a new article with a second opinion on the state of the game as it currently stands. I felt that the first article seemed to ignore the rather glaring issues the game has at the moment, while this article has been completely honest about them.

Recomending that potential players wait to purchase is most definitely a solid piece of advice.

It really is too bad the game is plagued with so many issues, it really subtracts from the enjoyment of the game, and is (imho) unacceptable for a product that is being sold for AAA mmorpg prices.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Great review! Its always refreshing to get an honest review.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Do second opinions like this on every MMO(RPG) (may it be positive or negative) and you'll be the n1 gamesite in no time.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

Excellent review. Tell it how it is !  :)

• KoddoKoddo Member Posts: 151

The problem is that you do want hand holding. From your article, it seems that you didn't read the help file that automatically pops up when you enter the game with a new character. You have to PHYSICALLY tell the thing to not show up every time you log-in. Your fault for not reading it. Most of us that are saying go back to WoW have been in the beta, and we have heard all too many players complain that there is no quest markers at all. "we don't know where to go, they should put a big marker on my map to tell me where the objective is, so I don't have to think and go looking for it myself.". Sorry if we just got tired of hearing it and are tired of the "tell me where to go and direct me every step of the game" mentality. This type of thinking is why most of us "fanboys" came to this game. We are trying to get away from the "give-it-to-meh-nao" rollercoasters(and the people that play them) that plague the market. So when one of those people show up and start complaining that the game is too hard, yes, we defend the game and tell them to go back to the walk in the park that is WoW.

It seems your only real problem with the game is performance. It's been 2 weeks since launch? How many other games have had major performance issues on launch? The answer is too many to count. Unfortunately /unstuck is a necessary beast, as the entirety of enterra hasn't been explored fully, there are still quite a few places that will cause you to get stuck. I agree they need to retool the function to the point where it's not easy or attractive to use as an exploit. I'd rather the function not cause me a death for getting stuck in the world, than listen to the crying from the same people on how it's not fair for them to lose all their stuff cause the earth grabbed their leg.

While your opinion is valid, as all are, I believe you to be just complaining about performance and consider said opinion to be unimportant.

The game isn't for everyone, it's for the niche of hardcore sandbox pvpers who like a little fps in their mmorpg. If you are gonna complain about performance issues, wait a while by all means. If you are going to complain about the gameplay not being easy and too confusing and don't want to learn, do us all a favor and just stay away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and authority is mightier than the pen, but the sword is mightier than authority.

If you can't beat 'em, hold 'em off 'till you come up with a better plan.

koddo {mod edit}  You don't seem to know what a sandbox is exactly.

The game is bad both for its performance and its community. When I was reading the chat in ER, I was missing Darkfall and Mortal Online players. At least they were understind that if the few hardcore players playing their games were allowing themeselves to treat new players like shit, their game will utilimately disappear. {mod edit}

ER community counts 3000-4000 players maximum, half of them won't resubscribed,{mod edit}

I'm leaving ER because the community cannot sustain the game on long term, that's obvious. A niche mmo to survive needs a community of dedicated players able to convince new players to stay. You are throwing them away.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Aguitha

Problem is, i can wait no problem, can the dev wait for players (money) ?  That is the question.

This is exactly the point.

{mod edit}

Originally posted by Divlas

koddo {mod edit} You don't seem to know what a sandbox is exactly.

The game is bad both for its performance and its community. When I was reading the chat in ER, I was missing Darkfall and Mortal Online players. At least they were understind that if the few hardcore players playing their games were allowing themeselves to treat new players like shit, their game will utilimately disappear.
    {mod edit}

I'm leaving ER because the community cannot sustain the game on long term, that's obvious. A niche mmo to survive needs a community of dedicated players able to convince new players to stay. You are throwing them away.

You're on to something there and it's the a problem with games that offer not the slightest bit of protection for newbies or care-bears.

Earthrise is only attractive to Counterstrike-kiddies and the forums and ingame-chat will tell you exactly what kind of people are playing the game.

The community before launch was great tho, but not even 20% of these pre-launch-people are playing the game now.

A sandbox is not all about throwing people into a FFA-PvP world with nothing to do and no protection whatsoever, a sandbox can very well have tons of content and safe areas as proven by EvE Online or SWG.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

You use the phrase "on offer" too often. Other then that i appreaciate the heads up, its interesting that the main page was a huge ad for this game while you suggest that one should wait.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I know, it infuriates me too and I'm writing the damn thing : )

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Koddo

Most of us that are saying go back to WoW have been in the beta, and we have heard all too many players complain that there is no quest markers at all. "we don't know where to go, they should put a big marker on my map to tell me where the objective is, so I don't have to think and go looking for it myself.". Sorry if we just got tired of hearing it and are tired of the "tell me where to go and direct me every step of the game" mentality. This type of thinking is why most of us "fanboys" came to this game. 

Crap.

Sorry mister high and mighty but the quests have no directions period! Most of those poeple that you got so bored with would have been fine without glowy quest objectives and big shiny arrows if the quest text was finished to an acceptable standard... 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I really wanted to try this game but when i set up my beta account and downloaded the game my password wouldnt work. I then changed my password and it still didnt work. So I gave up and tried Rift.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I find myself scratching my head in wonder, comparing this review to the recent Mortal Online review. There doesn't seem to be that big a gap between Earthrise and where MO was even two months ago. Earthrise is in worse shape. But where is that line drawn between "Try It" and "Don't Try It".

I wouldn't recommend either game unless you could play for free or have someone pay you to play.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

I just want to point out that this is not  a "review" - both articles to this point are just first looks.  We don't like to review games until they have been out for a few months and the writer assigned has had time to run the game through its paces.

Our competition seems to roll out reviews in days and a lot of our readers want this - so as a compromise we decided to do these "first look" articles just to let the community know what the thought of the game shortly after launch.

I do agree that having two people do the first look is a cool idea.  Everyone has different opinions and after all, a review/first look is just one persons opinion after all.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• CloudinkCloudink Member UncommonPosts: 120

EVE started out the same way, laggy, the econmy was a joke, steep learning curve. And look how it turned out.

"It''s like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG''s NGE

I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul."
    -Tycho

No Eve didn't start the same way.

Yes the economy on each new mmo is always a joke.. Why? Because it is new, and you can't create an economy in 2 days. When Eve was launched, it was a game able to run on a computer, using the graphic card, the processor and the ram.

• StyijStyij Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by djnexus

Why are companies allowed to release games in this state and make a profit. I think its bad business. While the game looks cool on paper, im all for it being a sandbox full on pvp like DF but at least wait until its ready.

Because people keep buying the pre-releases. As long as fools keep giving them money they will keep rolling shit out the door. Enjoy your half-assed broke Eathrise people, you did it to your selves.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Sadly, I didn't even have to read the article to know he'd have a more negative opinion.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

I fully agree with the aricle 50 euros for this piece of trash is a slap in the face. The game is awful and short of a complete over haul the game has no chance, its ugly, laggy, makes little sence and then on top they are going for the PvP market which hasn't been a big market.

I also can't believe the developers can charge any money for this, normally if you got a product that was this bad you could get a refund but they know everyone would want one so they are refusing just so they can kill any chance of good will.