Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sigh... ok I am done with Rift

Comments

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Aion's community was BAD, really bad, at launch.

I expected Rift's Open Beta 1-9 channel to get ridiculous, and it didn't disappoint last night.

I have faint hope that it will improve at launch, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's really Blizzard's true legacy, and victory.  They've changed the community to the point that new games are  poisoned from the start by their brand.

I don't blame the OP one bit for walking away from it, and anyone else who's done so.  Why pay for abuse?  There are so many other options to send time on nowadays...

• SlovixSlovix Member Posts: 3

That's why I am playing EVE. A superb mature community. Realy enjoying it.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Tazlor

Originally posted by wildtalent

I agree with your post.  But I must point out, people on here can be just as ruthless and rude.

so true.

personally i haven't had a big problem with the community.  it was pretty much your average MMO community.  the worst of it is the lvl 1-9 channel which consists of your average WoW comparisons and trolling, but nothing game killing.  all of my questins were answered in a few seconds with no snarky replies or anything.  i seriouly think you guys are just exaggerating...

some exaggerate, other just make things up because they want the game to fail.

i have yet to have a bad experience with the community in beta, and chat looks no different than any other game i've played.

PVP-RP servers are usually nicer and i'm trying to decide which would be better for me. i usually go for PVP-RP, but in EQ2 i am on Antonia Bayle, which is RP-PVE, and i'm surprised how much i enjoy not getting ganked, or having the threat of it.

in Rift beta, i have been on Sunrest, PVP-RP, and though it can have the cocky tone of a pvp server chat, it really isn't overboard or anything to be excited over. even in 1-9 chat, people are getting to know each other, discussing builds, joking, and other than a few WoW trolls, i am not bothered by it. questions get answered, and no one gets flamed unless they blatantly insult the game.

also, some of you seem to think that WOW player = horrible person. i find this sad, and a serious issue with your judgement.

the nice people in games tend to stay out of chat wars, and stay in their cliques. wow has millions of subs, and a lot of people that don't have subs, play on a toon on a account of someone they know, because it is such a well known 'video game'. i would never defend the overall WoW population, but having played it on and off for nearly 5 years with my wife, i can say that we have met many kind, fun people, and neither my wife nor myself believe in mistreating others. i will on the other hand, call out someone for being a douche at times, or even to correct the misinformed, or just plain idiotic player.

on this site, i think the people who complain the most, are those who want an mmo to LIVE inside, and they are not going to leave anyone alone until they get said dream-game. all i can say is, 'game' is the key word here. i love to contemplate ways to make games better, but until i decide to make my own, there is little complaining i can actually do, without looking like a lazy, spoiled, me, me me, little douchbag, which in my opinion, is a lot sadder than millions of casual players that play a successful game 'just for fun'.

any good game can be compared to something that came first. this rule can be used with any invention, no matter how simple, or complicated. if Rift is not for you, don't play it. everyone has an opinion, and we post on forums to express them, but i see some of the same names on EVERY ONE of these Rift threads. these same people claim they are mature, yet i have never met a person i considered mature, who constantly felt the need to bash someone elses form of entertainment  on such a constant basis. not to mention, the over-generalization they tag onto an entire community, as if individuality only exist where you say it can.

enjoy your pitiful existence of self-glorified opinion.

• baal80baal80 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by bastionix

People don't need help ---------------> they have no reason to be nice.

While I think that most of the game trolls will disappear together with open beta event, the above sentence is very true and very, very sad.

• ZeroByteDNAZeroByteDNA Member Posts: 58

The thing that I have found most curious about this particular thread has been the vast number of replies in regard to ignoring the issue because it is Open Beta.  However, the OP did not state that he had an issue with those that are trolling the game in the hopes of driving people away and resulting in the game's possible failure.  He was addressing the issue of those that will be playing the game and likely consitute part of the community after release.

While I definitely agree with what some posters have stated about ignoring those people in game just as you would ignore the others, there is a certain looming thought on the subconscious level that the group mistakenly addressed by many that replied to this thread - well, they will simply be gone.  They are a non-issue.  Most of us recognize them for what they are, and Trion definitely did a great job of making it rather easy to /ignore them in the game.

It is the people that will remain after the game launches.  Yes, I agree that they may very well be a vocal minority, one would think that the less vocal majority may wish to speak up at this point.  One would think that they would disapprove as much as the next person of the behavior that is taking place, no?

It is possible, were one to speculate, that simply by remaining silent - they are either condoning the issue, do not consider it their problem, do not care, etc, etc, etc.  The list goes on and on - or - so it seems.

There are definitely people that are a part of the RIFT community that are very helpful, and it is a shame that they would get grouped in with those others that are doing more harm than anything else to the image of the game.

Yes, it is burdensome having to deal with those that are trolling from other games or simply out of spite; however, you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater, so it might just be worth taking that deep breath before lashing out somebody that may have an opinion, thought, or criticism different from your own.

Likewise, I think it would be great if we actually took a moment to thank those that try to be helpful while all this is going on.  We do not want them getting burned out, do we?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by erictlewis

Originally posted by Snailtrail

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Emhster

Originally posted by remyburke

Didn't I and another say that we thought the Rift community was one of the worst we have ever encountered here on these forums?   Yes...we did.   What were we met with?   People telling us that we we haters and trolls.   I'll say it again, Rift's community is one of the worst I have ever encountered in any game and that includes WoW.

Because the community of a game that is essentially free to play is indicative of what it will resemble on release, when the same kids causing the trouble can't/won't buy the game.

Teala has chosen to respond to bad replies from what I've noticed, and to ignore insightful/intelligent posts. While this is entertaining, choosing to focus on such is likely to worsen your discussion... and your point of view on a community.

Right.  I am responsible for the actions of others.   I am responsible for the bad community that infest Rift.   Did you know that I actually received death threats from the so-called fans of Rift in my e-mail here at MMORPG.com because of what I wrote on my blog.   First time I have ever had someone threaten to hunt me down and slit my throat, or as one player said in their e-mail, "I'll run you off the road and make it look like an accident you little &#^#. "    I know I should take threats like that with a grain of salt because it is probably just some person PO'd, but in this day and age of the Internet, threats like that can actually be followed through with.    So you can go right on defending the games community all you want, I have had my experience with them and it was enough for me.    

um, and you reported these people and sought to press charges?

Death threats are not something to be taken lightly.

I didnt recieve death threats, but my Rift forum account had TONS of private email spam from people VERY angry about me pointing out issues with the game during beta, and on the beta forums.  I would just post what i found, and leave, no response no egging on anyone, and i would return the next day, with a decent amount of hate mail.  MOst were not too bad, just asking me how much blizzard pays me to troll ect....

I think i even got a few private messages from fans loyal to Rift, over my class balance issue posts, on this site.

I really hope, for all the people preorderd with 6months of time purchased up front, that this community settles down and starts acting normal.

I recieved hate email in my rift account, and in my mmorpg account. Trion refused to take action to shut down that thread, that is on trion.  However you report somebody here who sends you some hatefull stuff, they get it in the chops.

heres the thread its been burried a few times

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?50689-It-s-reviews-like-this-people.-Reviews-like-this.&highlight=teala

That is the thread that got me hate, and got her hate, and the thread that was allowed to go 11 pages without moderation.

Were you the one that posted the link?

Originally posted by popinjay

Did you know that I actually received death threats from the so-called fans of Rift in my e-mail here at MMORPG.com because of what I wrote on my blog.   First time I have ever had someone threaten to hunt me down and slit my throat, or as one player said in their e-mail, "I'll run you off the road and make it look like an accident you little &#^#. "    

So, you got a bunch of 'we don't like you tells' and one death threat. That's way too much drama to make out as a whole game's community. Just call the cops for the one guy/gal and be done with it.

Actually it was five total, two from one person.    I did contact authorities and the response I got was.   Do I know this person personally.  I said "no".    They told me that if I knew this person personally I could file a restraining order through the courts.  Well that is not an option.   They requested I forward the email and I did.   I was also told that no crime was committed.    This Lt. actually said people say crazy stuff all the time and it doesn't mean they'll follow through with it and unless I know the person personally, or he has stalked me, and I have proof of it, or has done me bodily harm, there is not really anything much they can do.  

What I find amazing is that my little critic of a "game" that pointed out only things I found in "my opinion" as short comings, or failures(which were few mind you) could garnar such vitriolic hate.  It's a game.   Nothing more...just a game.  I didn't murder somones cat, or family member, of sleep with some guys or girls SO.  It was a blog post.    A silly little blog post.    Never have I seen such behaviour as I have seen in the Rift community.  Go look at some of the responses in that one thread, and even on my own blog, --- I left them up.   It amazes me that even though I said great things about the game, and even suggested that people should give it a shot, I was bombarded with some comments that anyone else would have deleted due to their negativity.   I left them though.   I left them because it is just a blog, a blog that I enjoy writing and will continue to write and I want people to see that despite thier behaviour...I'll continue to write.  I am not a professional writer, never claimed to be.  I'm just a gamer that blogs.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

This will fall on deaf ears, but I'm just going to go ahead to point out that the actions and words of a handful, hell, even a hundred people do not represent the personalities of an entire community.

Then again no one cares about the people that respond kindly to you, wanting only to politely discuss issues. They only care about the loudly screaming idiots. Makes good press.

The Rift community as a whole isn't a bad community, just the people you have dealt with.

.. But in a good way.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by fallonfallon

to me the community is the least of its problems.... I just went and bought a new pc 2 weeks ago one especialy for gaming. A pretty top notch machine . Plays COD Black ops on the highest setting. Can you run it program Showed i hit well over recommended setting for Rift , but i have to play on the lowest graphics setting to hit atleast 20fps. WTF is up with that?

So ya i will be avoiding this one for the time being.

I play on a AMD 6000+ only a dual core 4 gigs ram  ATI 4850 I just logged out and was getting 40 fps on high. Seems each persons' mileage will vary. 

Core 2 Duo 2.6, 4 Gigs SLI RAM, 2x nVidia Geforce 9800 GTX+.

I play on High settings and get 40+ fps outside cities. Mid 30s and up in cities.

Mileage does vary indeed. Some people think just b/c it's happening to them it happens to everyone. Or they look at their rig and forget there is a whole lot of internet inbetween them and the game's servers.

I'm playing with a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, with 4 GB of RAM, a 64 bit Operating System, and an 8800GT graphics card. I run the game at Ultra (setting above High) and get 50+ FPS. I told people on general chat about this and they thought I was lying, but it's the honest to god truth. In past releases, similar people have had problems with their new rigs too. Sometimes the older technology just performs better, like it was the technology the developers optimized the game for. Who knows. As long as I get good performance out of my machine and can run games on the highest settings, I won't replace my 3 year old rig.

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

Is no one going to be the voice of reason here and mention that open-beta crowds have a lot of folks who are interested only in ruining games they've decided they don't like?

There are tons and tons of folks playing this game right now, as well as loads of preorders who are holding off so they won't burn out pre-launch, like me.  I'm helpful, I tend to talk a lot but not rip into people for any real reason, and I try to give back to whatever community I'm part of.

These people are not the playerbase.  These people are in open beta; what happens to the community when sixty bucks' worth of entry-barrier goes up is anyone's guess.

Also, as a final point, you're kind of on the Internet.  Expecting everyone to be polite is doomed to failure; they're anonymous, they can do what they want, and ignoring them (not with /ignore but just by ignoring them) is the best way to go about things to my mind.  Don't let them hurt a good thing for you.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by ZeroByteDNA

The thing that I have found most curious about this particular thread has been the vast number of replies in regard to ignoring the issue because it is Open Beta.  However, the OP did not state that he had an issue with those that are trolling the game in the hopes of driving people away and resulting in the game's possible failure.  He was addressing the issue of those that will be playing the game and likely consitute part of the community after release.

While I definitely agree with what some posters have stated about ignoring those people in game just as you would ignore the others, there is a certain looming thought on the subconscious level that the group mistakenly addressed by many that replied to this thread - well, they will simply be gone.  They are a non-issue.  Most of us recognize them for what they are, and Trion definitely did a great job of making it rather easy to /ignore them in the game.

It is the people that will remain after the game launches.  Yes, I agree that they may very well be a vocal minority, one would think that the less vocal majority may wish to speak up at this point.  One would think that they would disapprove as much as the next person of the behavior that is taking place, no?

It is possible, were one to speculate, that simply by remaining silent - they are either condoning the issue, do not consider it their problem, do not care, etc, etc, etc.  The list goes on and on - or - so it seems.

There are definitely people that are a part of the RIFT community that are very helpful, and it is a shame that they would get grouped in with those others that are doing more harm than anything else to the image of the game.

Yes, it is burdensome having to deal with those that are trolling from other games or simply out of spite; however, you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater, so it might just be worth taking that deep breath before lashing out somebody that may have an opinion, thought, or criticism different from your own.

Likewise, I think it would be great if we actually took a moment to thank those that try to be helpful while all this is going on.  We do not want them getting burned out, do we?

The answer is simple that silent Majority is not even paying attention  to general chat because they are playing the game nto standing around arguing with anonymous strangers who they may never see again.Niether are they playing forum warrior if they evne visit the forums at all.

So no they aren't condoning the issue or do not consider it a problem..they are mostly not even awatrre that there may be a problem because they are having fun adn palying the game.They may be aware that trolling is going on but don't consider it worth their time reading it and in doing so are denying these peopel what they crave most...attention.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by nate1980

to me the community is the least of its problems.... I just went and bought a new pc 2 weeks ago one especialy for gaming. A pretty top notch machine . Plays COD Black ops on the highest setting. Can you run it program Showed i hit well over recommended setting for Rift , but i have to play on the lowest graphics setting to hit atleast 20fps. WTF is up with that?

I play on a AMD 6000+ only a dual core 4 gigs ram  ATI 4850 I just logged out and was getting 40 fps on high. Seems each persons' mileage will vary. 

I play on High settings and get 40+ fps outside cities. Mid 30s and up in cities.

Mileage does vary indeed. Some people think just b/c it's happening to them it happens to everyone. Or they look at their rig and forget there is a whole lot of internet inbetween them and the game's servers.

I'm playing with a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, with 4 GB of RAM, a 64 bit Operating System, and an 8800GT graphics card. I run the game at Ultra (setting above High) and get 50+ FPS. I told people on general chat about this and they thought I was lying, but it's the honest to god truth. In past releases, similar people have had problems with their new rigs too. Sometimes the older technology just performs better, like it was the technology the developers optimized the game for. Who knows. As long as I get good performance out of my machine and can run games on the highest settings, I won't replace my 3 year old rig.

That's almost the exact same setup I'm running with, and I can play the game with fairly high settings. I only needed to disable shadows and reduce the clutter density/render range (those tend to be some of the biggest resource hogs for any MMO)  and my FPS was absolutely fine.

I think the problem is more so that the default graphics settings are not optimized for the 'average' gaming rig, and people are complaining without bothering to tweak a few things first.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I can't believe you called the cops over something probably some 10-12 year old 'tough guy' sent you in email.   They would have to spend $100 trillion a year taking these anonymous kids to court all over the internet if everyone did that and they did something about it.

Sure their are crazy people, but you probably have more chance of being hit by a falling plane, than some anonymous tough guy on the net actually doing something....Most of them probably do not like to brave the outdoors!

Previously with the following:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

• 3GB DDR2 667MHz

• ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB

I could run on "Ultra" with ES and Shadows off to get 15-18 FPS or so.

I dropped in an AMD Phenom X4 9600B, and with both ES and Shadows on I am now getting 20-24 FPS.

It is curious to note where the various GPUs fall on Tom's hierarchy:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857-7.html

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Actually it was five total, two from one person.    I did contact authorities and the response I got was.   Do I know this person personally.  I said "no".    They told me that if I knew this person personally I could file a restraining order through the courts.  Well that is not an option.   They requested I forward the email and I did.   I was also told that no crime was committed.    This Lt. actually said people say crazy stuff all the time and it doesn't mean they'll follow through with it and unless I know the person personally, or he has stalked me, and I have proof of it, or has done me bodily harm, there is not really anything much they can do.  
    What I find amazing is that my little critic of a "game" that pointed out only things I found in "my opinion" as short comings, or failures(which were few mind you) could garnar such vitriolic hate.  It's a game.   Nothing more...just a game.  I didn't murder somones cat, or family member, of sleep with some guys or girls SO.  It was a blog post.    A silly little blog post.    Never have I seen such behaviour as I have seen in the Rift community.  Go look at some of the responses in that one thread, and even on my own blog, --- I left them up.   It amazes me that even though I said great things about the game, and even suggested that people should give it a shot, I was bombarded with some comments that anyone else would have deleted due to their negativity.   I left them though.   I left them because it is just a blog, a blog that I enjoy writing and will continue to write and I want people to see that despite thier behaviour...I'll continue to write.  I am not a professional writer, never claimed to be.  I'm just a gamer that blogs.

I guess the point is that if you look at the total number of potential players in Rift, probably less than 1% has ever heard of a "Teala" or even read blogs. If you look at what they estimate to get for subs (modest estimate: 200-300k at launch) how many of them do you think know you are critical of Rift? Exactly.. probably less than 1% of 1%.

So because you got what.. 100 emails maximum (if you say you got MORE than that, your credibility here is severly gonna be tested) saying they hate you, you suck, and you don't know anything (along with the four death threats), how are you saying that's the whole Rift community? That just makes no sense based on sheer numbers.

Again, you know you got asshats in teeny-tiny game like Mount and Blade as well. You know there are plenty of individual jerks and entire huge corporations in EvE who do similar things (I've seen them in Perpettum's beta) who excel at douchebaggery.

This is not a Rift thing, it's a people thing and your favorite games have them as well.

Originally posted by Xthos

I can't believe you called the cops over something probably some 10-12 year old 'tough guy' sent you in email.   They would have to spend $100 trillion a year taking these anonymous kids to court all over the internet if everyone did that and they did something about it.

Sure their are crazy people, but you probably have more chance of being hit by a falling plane, than some anonymous tough guy on the net actually doing something....Most of them probably do not like to brave the outdoors!

Unfortunately though, all it takes is the one person that does do something.  If this person is making threats in one place, it may be likely that they are making them elsewhere.  Threats are not something to take lightly in the least.  We are not talking about calling 911 because you see somebody jaywalking.

Yeah, well I cannot believe somone would threaten my life over a blog...but they did, 4 people did in fact.   I dunno about you, but with todays tech and the ability to find people like the 4chan people do...is it not smart to play it safe.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by ZeroByteDNA

Previously with the following:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

• 3GB DDR2 667MHz

• ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB

I could run on "Ultra" with ES and Shadows off to get 15-18 FPS or so.

I dropped in an AMD Phenom X4 9600B, and with both ES and Shadows on I am now getting 20-24 FPS.

It is curious to note where the various GPUs fall on Tom's hierarchy:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857-7.html

Try also reducing the ground clutter density/render range. This made a huge difference in my performance.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

This is why I only play and talk with my guild. 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Yeah, well I cannot believe somone would threaten my life over a blog...but they did, 4 people did in fact.   I dunno about you, but with todays tech and the ability to find people like the 4chan people do...is it not smart to play it safe.

When your life is actually threatened you have to take that seriously. If you don't, that's called stupid.

I'm glad you're going to continue your blogs Teala, in spite of any Riftnatics (or any other sort of lunatic) that may be lurking out there. Good on ya!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I can't fault a woman for calling the cops when someone says they'll kill them or whatever. There's a lot of violence against women that some retards think is okay.

But I can fault her on labeling several hundred thousand people as being cut from the same type of cloth because of the actions of that very tiny few.

That part is a mental disconnect and just based on personal feelings which in no way speaks to a large part of any community.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by Elikal

I am done with Rift. I really wanted to like the game, it looks great, Trion is putting great effort into it, but today is really the last nail in the coffin.

I know people say WOW has a bad community, and going into it's dungeon browser really shows you the scum of humanity. But this... no matter what little you ask or critizise, I haven't EVER seen such an amount of hate, harrasment, flaming and attack than in the Rift chat channels. Why is it so difficult to just discuss different opinions WITHOUT 30 people jumping at my throat? I just don't want to spent my limited lifetime in an environment with such amounts of hate and agression around me.

It just is the last straw on many issues. Boring "Kill 10 Goblin" quests all over, difficulty & respawn rates, recent rise of bugs and issues... but more than all this the community looks terrible to me. I was just saying my Ranger/Marksman was constantly dying in some places, and the sheer amount of mockery, hate and whatnot was just... depressing.

You know, I didnt want to say this, but I had my 40th birthday today, I feel it's like "ok I am officially not young anymore" and having more days behind me than ahead of me, I made one decision today: I WONT stay in places with mean and inpolite people. I am mortal, my time is limited and life is too precious to waste it in places with unfriendly people. So while in past years I was more willing to "fight over things", debate all over and taking all bad manners, I decided from today I will avoid such places.

Maybe you think about this one time.

There is always gonna be bad and good eggs. And the more ppl playing a certain game the more bad eggs you will get.

And if youre playing Rift, and want more polite people that are having fun playing and helping other.. Play on a PVE server. Because the pvp servers are just filled with cowards that gank low levels as a rogue or in group  and most of the people either care to help by actions or in text.

And like we both know, kids will be kids. They neither know honor nor respect, and that is something they need to learn for themselves.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I feel more sorry for whoever would try to take you on tbh, you certainly sound like you can look after yourself;) Either way, If somebody takes something you have said that personaly about a computer game, then that person is a tool. There is nothing else, that's a fact.

• SirDerpSirDerp Member UncommonPosts: 72

Rift really is a great game when you get into it, and I would tell you that you should stick around for a while, but I do understand what you are talking about. There are WAY too many Rift haters and people who just enjoy stirring up conflict around right now, but hopefully by launch when you actually have to pay to play they will be weeded out. Maybe try again in a month?

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Actually, it has to be taken seriously. In the US, they suggest you contact the FBI should you receive life threatening messages. As they stated on ehow.com, "Most cases do not go beyond words, but note that Internet harassment escalates easily and can be as illogical as road rage. You usually do not know who the person is or what he or she is capable of." Hiding your identity behind the Internet is not a free pass on writing death threads to anyone.