Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Why do you post in game forums?

I'm sure we post and read forums for multiple reasons.

What's the number 1 reason for you?

Comments

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

YES!

But where's the "Because I am a FORUM WAAAARRRRRIOR!!!!" option?image

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by nolf

YES!

But where's the "Because I am a FORUM WAAAARRRRRIOR!!!!" option?image

Good point!

That's for extra credit, then.

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

No 1 ofc.. but it should have been "to try and get the info i need" hehe

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Robokapp

I like forum drama...I won't lie. Something about the peasants revolting amuses me.

Same.

Why I read game forums is very different from why I post in them, though. I lurk in several game forums in order to follow how different communities feel about different mechanics, features, playstyles, etc.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Because is more fun than play the game itself.

Oh

And because im at work... thats a good reason too i guess :)

THIS is why I love these forums.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

TROLL_HARD.. you "wow-cloned" my post and made it better :/ 

i hate you :D

haha yea.. that post made me laugh hard

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by rottN

haha yea.. that post made me laugh hard

awww they locked it!  i am so sad right now

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I voted "To get the information I need", but truth be told.  The reason I post on forums both in regards to the game, and on forums like these is because I have a great interest in the game, or systems and I like to discuss questions I may have or ideas I may have, or to give feedback on systems.  Sometimes just to socialize even.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I READ game forums for information because I'm interested in many different games, but I POST in game forums to let my voice be heard and to see if anyone agrees with me about things, related to games, that I care about. And if other posters don't agree with me, I like to know why not.

Your poll has more to do with reading than posting in game forums, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

my game char sucks so hard so i will fight with WORDS!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, "none of the above".

For me the reason is that most of my friends don't play games so I really don't have anyone to discuss them with. If they do, it's something very casual. I do have one friend who recently discovered WoW but he will be an ultra casual player and so not much to discuss there.

Forums allow me to discuss a hobby that I really enjoy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

'cause it's a game-related quick-fix I can do while being paid to do other things. It's sort of like why I prefer to take a dump at work. When I'm home I have to be pretty bored with my current MMO to be discussing instead of playing. Besides, going afk to take a dump in the middle of a raid is bad etiquette.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by rottN

TROLL_HARD.. you "wow-cloned" my post and made it better :/ 

i hate you :D

dude they totally deleted your thread!  POR QUEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!

in other news

Originally posted by Iselin

'cause it's a game-related quick-fix I can do while being paid to do other things. It's sort of like why I prefer to take a dump at work. When I'm home I have to be pretty bored with my current MMO to be discussing instead of playing. Besides, going afk to take a dump in the middle of a raid is bad etiquette.

L   O   L

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, "none of the above".
    For me the reason is that most of my friends don't play games so I really don't have anyone to discuss them with. If they do, it's something very casual. I do have one friend who recently discovered WoW but he will be an ultra casual player and so not much to discuss there.
    Forums allow me to discuss a hobby that I really enjoy.

:( I'll be your gamer friend.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

As has been said, reasons for reading and reasons for posting differ a lot.

Why do I post... um, because I'm an opinionated bint?

I don't know, I post on far fewer threads than I read. Usually because the topic of the OP interests me.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Why do I post in game forums?. I only ever post here or the Escapist. Mostly becouse I like the site and the community and most importantly becouse I can.:)

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I only post if there is a problem I need help with (if its on a particular game forum) or in response to other people having issues with the game that I can help with.  I never post to put down a game no matter how bad it is, I simply do not play it....games are such a personal thing, you cant really say something sucks until you've really played it for yourself....who am I to try to convince others.  I see no point in trolling or bashing a game.  It's someones art.....to each their own.  I do post though, if I love a game.....I think if something, in my opinion is well done, it deserves to be talked about.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

He left out several reason.

(1)  Game hater,  this is a huge one,  I hate the game rage quit

(2)  Troll,  the other game hater, I love my game but hate yours

(3) The person who id don quixte,  trying to get the game to fix something he fills has wronged him.

I could not vote in thos pose as it missed tons of stuff.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

I stopped ages ago. After a while you just find yourself surrounded self-detrimental 12 year old fanbois with no sense of their own best interest as consumers.

Only noticed this thread because I logged on to check today's GW2 teaser news offering and figured I'd throw in my two cents.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Because I'm bored period. I work at home so....

But still, I don't have to be at work to be bored enough to post here.

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

I didn't vote, because I post because I want to get opinions and read different viewpoints on various topics of game design and MMORPG features.

I post to get the community involved in the game-making process. To reach out as a developer to say to the players, "Look, I care what you think. Now is your chance to be heard!"

I fully realize after quite awhile dealing with others in the community (across all types of forums and games) as a professional developer, why other developers ignore their playerbase.

No offense intended, but there are so many whiners, fools, trolls, people with entitlement complexes, bad ideas, unrealistic ways to accomplish said ideas, skeptics who question everything (I wonder sometimes what would happen if Richard Garriott himself started asking questions on the forums, as to how few would actually believe it was him, let alone someone from BLIZZARD or SOE--hahaha, one person even stalked me down to find my private email address to email me asking a question to test if I really am developing Emergence. I applauded him for his creepy success at finding the email I didn't give out, and gave him some proof and answering his question correctly as a prize), but most of all... nasty people.

There are just so many nasty players in MMO gaming. More than in other avenues, as I am not just talking about mmorpg.com, but in MMO games, forums, emails, etc.

However, beyond those nasty players are a handful of brilliant, kind, happy people. The kind that you really want to know their opinion, to help them build a better gaming world, and to provide them with all you can as a developer to see to it that those few are happy.

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

• krizmenkrizmen Member Posts: 5

To get information I need and Because I'm interested in different games.