Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What genre would you like to see an MMORPG based on?

Comments

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

HIstory... with some twists?  Chances to go back and re-write some key points in history?  See what the world might have been like if 'the other guys' would've won this war or that war?

Could be interesting. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by BlackWatch

HIstory... with some twists?  Chances to go back and re-write some key points in history?  See what the world might have been like if 'the other guys' would've won this war or that war?

Could be interesting. 

heh yeah but doesn't have to be medievil or ancient history based, if anyone ever palyed a game called Iron Storm...that games world would make a interesting backdrop for an MMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Storm_%28video_game%29

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Historical is fun.  It doesn't have to be isolated to one event however, and it can be combined with other genres.  Age of Empires 2 is a good example at combining historical elements with other things.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

I voted Cyberpunk, but the H.P. Lovecraft 30s setting horror game sound like a great game also. The only thing that would worry me about a horror MMO is that you can bet your ass, with the developer climate the way it is they would want to tap into that "Twilight teen crowd" and that would be a real horror game. 

• essen1essen1 Member Posts: 9

i would choose the Fantasy and Sci-Fi are cool games..

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

it's interesting seeing how the voting is going so far.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun...

Oddly, my other favorite would be MMORPG, would be from the same pen and paper company, and that is Mechwarrior, done well. Both titles are so righteously fucked over in copywrite ownership, I have little hope of ever seeing either one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

id love to see a steam punk mmorpg like Neo Steam, but sub based and of course with quality of a sub game cos neo steam sucks old donkey nuts.. also a remastered version and also sub based version of an horror mmorpg like Requiem online(which currently sux also)... both ideas with a new engine and revamp ftw

• Cactus-ManCactus-Man Member Posts: 572

Dieselpunk

The most overlooked of the punks

All men think they're fascinating. In my case, it's justified

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Cheesecake!.................................................................................Deal with that!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I voted "other" because I would mainly be interested in a horror themed mmorpg.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I would love an mmorpg of setting like Assassin's Creed, combining the Medivial setting with the modern world setting. 

A combat system where tactical approach is required,.......and who doesn't like climbing buildings and jump off it lol.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Steampunk, Cyberpunk, and Horror would all be MMOs id like to see and play.

• MimiEZMimiEZ Member Posts: 225

I chose other because I'm looking for an MMO that clearly doesn't think about genre at all, a world with a theme, that is later defined by others as part of a genre. It's clear more and more MMOs are just generic fantasy worlds, in reality the other genres are just as generic, but since they aren't as abundant nobody notices as much.

However to be realistic: I haven't seen any good Horror MMOs, so I guess that would be my first choice. My second would be a realistic evolution like one, like Spore, or something similar.

-I want a Platformer MMO

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Other is obviously the best choice, because it also includes everything nobody ever thinks about.  Other is going to be the answers that come out of left field, the stuff that makes people go 'Oh my god, I never thought about that, but it's so perfect.'

I'll just list a couple others here, though obviously some of them are pretty silly that doesn't mean they're not dancing around the borders of a respectable idea.

West Side Story:  The MMORPG.  Forget Conan or Star Wars or Lord of the Rings... if you're going to do an old IP, do it right!

Picture it now in your mind!  Elaborate dance battles, your gang and another gang meeting up in an alley and prancing around while flicking your switchblades and mastering your sneers.  The intrigue, the drama, the romance!  Equip your hair grease +4 for extra badassery.

Fashionpunk.  Somebody else stated Dieselpunk is the most overlooked genre, but c'mon, how many Fashionpunk series can you list off the top of your head?  (I can think of exactly one)  In the future, as computers get smaller and smaller, they can be woven into every square inch of fabric, threads woven together to make artificial musculature and hidden battle systems.  Play as either an expert fashion designer, or a runway model!

Fight on the runway... to the DEATH... explore seedy back alleys and stunning high couture shops for just the right kind of thread.  It's not enough to merely create killer clothes, they have to look good too!  Anybody can slice up another person with monomolecular wire, but a real model makes it look good, and makes sure the blood spatters are ARTISTIC.

In the same general theme as historical (but not quite), how about a time travel MMO?  Be able to travel from location to location in space AND time, mass groups of players trying to alter history the way they like it!  This could be a great setting for a sandbox.

Slightly related, how about a time-slip MMO?  Stranded in the time of the dinosaurs, fight to survive and rebuild civilization.  Don't even have to make up monsters, just drag out an encyclopedia of dinosaurs and it's all the amazing monster design a game designer could ever feasibly want.

What about a kung-fu movie MMORPG?  Not swords and sorcery style kung-fu, but... anybody here ever played Shenmue?  Think that, but on an MMORPG scale.  Explore a fight-oriented version of the 80s, mass street fights and underground kickboxing clubs, tour the world of martial arts while seeking vengeance for some random stereotypical reason (Probably your sister got kidnapped, or your dad killed, or maybe you're the fresh faced new kid trying out his martial arts in a real world setting.  Whatever!  Man, there's a billion of these movies to draw from)!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Meowhead
    Other is obviously the best choice, because it also includes everything nobody ever thinks about.  Other is going to be the answers that come out of left field, the stuff that makes people go 'Oh my god, I never thought about that, but it's so perfect.'
    I'll just list a couple others here, though obviously some of them are pretty silly that doesn't mean they're dancing around the borders of a respectable idea.
    West Side Story:  The MMORPG.  Forget Conan or Star Wars or Lord of the Rings... if you're going to do an old IP, do it right!
    Picture it now in your mind!  Elaborate dance battles, your gang and another gang meeting up in an alley and prancing around while flicking your switchblades and mastering your sneers.  The intrigue, the drama, the romance!  Equip your hair grease +4 for extra badassery.
    Fashionpunk.  Somebody else stated Dieselpunk is the most overlooked genre, but c'mon, how many Fashionpunk series can you list off the top of your head?  (I can think of exactly one)  In the future, as computers get smaller and smaller, they can be woven into every square inch of fabric, threads woven together to make artificial musculature and hidden battle systems.  Play as either an expert fashion designer, or a runway model!
    Fight on the runway... to the DEATH... explore seedy back alleys and stunning high couture shops for just the right kind of thread.  It's not enough to merely create killer clothes, they have to look good too!  Anybody can slice up another person with monomolecular wire, but a real model makes it look good, and makes sure the blood spatters are ARTISTIC.
    In the same general theme as historical (but not quite), how about a time travel MMO?  Be able to travel from location to location in space AND time, mass groups of players trying to alter history the way they like it!  This could be a great setting for a sandbox.
    Slightly related, how about a time-slip MMO?  Stranded in the time of the dinosaurs, fight to survive and rebuild civilization.  Don't even have to make up monsters, just drag out an encyclopedia of dinosaurs and it's all the amazing monster design a game designer could ever feasibly want.
    What about a kung-fu movie MMORPG?  Not swords and sorcery style kung-fu, but... anybody here ever played Shenmue?  Think that, but on an MMORPG scale.  Explore a fight-oriented version of the 80s, mass street fights and underground kickboxing clubs, tour the world of martial arts while seeking vengeance for some random stereotypical reason (Probably your sister got kidnapped, or your dad killed, or maybe you're the fresh faced new kid trying out his martial arts in a real world setting.  Whatever!  Man, there's a billion of these movies to draw from)!

You are awesome. I actually read all that text. Because I wanted to.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Meowhead

I'll just list a couple others here, though obviously some of them are pretty silly that doesn't mean they're dancing around the borders of a respectable idea.

You are awesome. I actually read all that text. Because I wanted to.

The Meowhead has made some very startling posts today. They should be apreciated. Meow, if you are reading, you and your family are invited round my house for tea,;)

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

I said Cyberpunk, but honestly I'd go for anything a bit different.

My top two MMO "wants" are both based on P&P games from my childhood:

1) a D&D MMO (based in the Forgotten Realms universe and in an open world, not one city - DDO you broke my heart)

2) a Shadowrun MMO

I wouldn't mind a Robotech/mecha MMO either. I remember the skills system in the P&P being pretty solid.

Serious now, I actualy voted western. What I want to see more than anything is an mmo set in Steven Kings "The Dark Tower" cycle of books. It's more like a fusion of western/fantasy/ contemporary. But western is the closest to it in my mind of the choices given.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I voted cyberpunk, I'm surprised to see that's the most popular too. I've always wanted a Shadowrun MMO but I'll take any similar cyberpunk setting.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

More votes!  Need more votes.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

I'm surprised by the results so far.

Fantasy for me, and that will always be my first choice. But I could go for other games if they were good and I didn't have one of choice.

By the way Teala, if you had "Poll" in the subject, I would have visited this sooner.

Once upon a time....

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Put my token in the CyberPunk slot.

I dont see much difference between cyberpunk and sci-fi tho. Are they really that different? In both cases you got a person in tight/minimal/mech clothing with some fancy tech-weapon, gadgets and implants.

E.g Ghost In The Shell and compared to Mass Effect.

Deus Ex 3 comes to mind, it falls into the cyberpunk genre?

Iam not trying to start a big argument, iam just wondering since its a bit blurry to me. Like if you put space-travel and aliens into Deus Ex.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Naral

Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun...

^^ This..

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

I chose Fantasy, but specifically I'd like to see a Mythology based MMO.  It could be Norse (preferably), Celtic, Ancient Greek, Anciet Egyptian...anything...just as long as it remains true to the actual Mythology of the Culture(s) used.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514