Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop making up new words !

2»

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by UknownAspect

The English language is evolving, you can't refudiate that.

I question the truthiness of this statement.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by indiramourn

Originally posted by Axehilt

Change is constant.  Deal with it.

Change driven by idiots who just like to rename things is not the kind of change I support.  When did creativity become such a trivial thing that creating a new synonym qualifiies?

Enough self-regulation tends to happen on its own (case in point: all the people who always called WOW's realms "shards")

Only good words tend to stick around.  (Well "good" is a little vague here.  The real measure is whether or not their strong memes.)

Your refusal of supporting random purposeless renames is exactly the type of auto-regulation which is inherent to language.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Making up new words for the same thing happens in every industry.

I still remember feeling irritated way way back in school when I released that Anaeobic Alactic, the phosphagen system, ATP-CP system, and probably a few other names I've forgotten were all different names for the exact same energy system.

A bit irritating and confusing until you figure that out.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Its anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

REALITY CHECK

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by bastionix

I don't like when developers invent silly new words for the same thing.

A /tell became a /whisper in WoW.

A group became a party in WoW.

A guild became a linkshell in FFXI and FFXIV.

server is a shard in Rift, a realm in WoW.

Stop making up new words that mean the exact same thing please, it's just confusing.

Well, WoW has to do these things. It has no new or interesting features to call its own, so it has to invent some new words to appear different. Even its lore is just Warhammer lore.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

umm.... QQ moar?

nah on a real note, why are you complaining about something so small, and rather irrelavent? 

It's something small that would help out a lot of new players. I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

Player A: Want to join our linkshell?

Player B: What's a linkshell?

Player A: It's like a guild.

Player B: Oh, gotcha.

Yea, I can see how the term linkshell could cause problems...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I don't like when developers invent silly new words for the same thing.

A /tell became a /whisper in WoW.

A group became a party in WoW.

A guild became a linkshell in FFXI and FFXIV.

server is a shard in Rift, a realm in WoW.

Stop making up new words that mean the exact same thing please, it's just confusing.

um

None of the games you mentioned invented these words.

You can blame the english language for having 10+ words mean the same thing.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• WolferahmWolferahm Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Kyleran

Every developer adds their own flavor to their games and UI, /tell might not have been descriptive enough, /whisper makes more sense.

Guilds fit one lore, but in other games there's been clans, tribes, corporation, warbands and linkshells, the concepts the same, no reason to maintain the same name thorughout though.

A server tends to be one single box, as opposed to a realm or shard which represents an entire game universe, regardless how many hardware elements there are. From a RPing perspective I prefer the more elegant terms.

Variety is the spice of life, and language has already been reduced down too much, I prefer things to be more interesting.

Agreed!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I agree people should stop confombulating words and stick to calling a flamboozel a bombakalooza.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

James, while John had had 'had', had had 'had had'; 'had had' had had a better effect on the teacher.

Isn't grammar fun!?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by wallet113

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

umm.... QQ moar?

nah on a real note, why are you complaining about something so small, and rather irrelavent? 

It's something small that would help out a lot of new players. I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

Before playing a MMO I usually read the manuals and browse the forums to get an idea of the game. So when I jump in I know whats what, But alot of these things are common sense things.

or also, if u dont know what a linkshell is, you can always ask... whats that? lol

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Originally posted by Meowhead

MUDs, MUCKs and MUSHes have had all sorts of variant of those commands.  This seems like a particularly weird complaint to me, because using various terminology for private communication predates graphical MMORPGs.

I also got started playing MUDs and MUSHes which in my mind are pretty clearly the precursors to MMORPGs.  Interestingly enough, the term MMORPG is no more valid a descriptor than "Multi-User Shared Hallucination", it's just generally accepted.

The english language changes, different words are used to describe the same thing.  Far from being a problem I see this as a social commentary... it depends on what people value and how they choose to communicate.  We call these worlds "Massive" because never before was it possible to connect thousands of users due to the limitations of technology, now it's a matter of course so maybe it's time for a new term.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

This is a SPOTLIGHT post/thread why?

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

Originally posted by Mardy

Don't blame developers for trying to be unique, different, and add their own space in the genre.

No offense, but renaming a guild a "linkshell" is not just confusing, it's strange, odd, and just plain weird.

Linkshell? LOL...wtf?

I'm okay with the realm/shard/server stuff, but linkshell? Seriously?

I like Champions Online and City of Heroes version of guilds though. I love the sidekick system too.

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Emergence

Originally posted by Mardy

Don't blame developers for trying to be unique, different, and add their own space in the genre.

No offense, but renaming a guild a "linkshell" is not just confusing, it's strange, odd, and just plain weird.

Linkshell? LOL...wtf?

I'm okay with the realm/shard/server stuff, but linkshell? Seriously?

A linkshell is an actual in-game item that you purchase and equip. The linkshell produces linkpearls, which are given out to the various members. Use of the pearl is what allows your character to communicate with other members across great distances. Unlike most other games, there is an explanation for how people within the LS can talk to each other.

Also, there's the fact that the name "guild" implies quite a bit. There's a familial connotation to it; it's not something you join casually and leave on a whim. As FFXI players were expected to have multiple LSes for multiple purposes, it was helpful to shed that connotation by using a new term.

And anyway, it abbreviates to LS. Abbreviations in a bilingual game are useful.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Some years ago, I was playing WoW, doing some farming herbs for  a raid that was coming up. I guess I started picking a herb someone was about to, and the person said to me "go DIAF". I was like "huh?", I had no clue what "DIAF" meant at the time. So I asked in guild chat, "Hey someone just told me to go DIAF, whats that mean?". All I saw in guild chat was "LOL" "LMAO" and they finally told me.

Seriously, I must getting old. some of these newer internet "slang" confuses me, or perhaps people are just becoming too lazy to type a whole sentence out. Ah well, to each his own.