Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miss SWG old version? Dont worry #2 is already out its called.....

SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Earthrise.... Yup yup, Earthrise is a fun game, that has many many skills and has a very complex crafting system and Combat system. As a SWG vet i would like to state the Earthrise is the one game that gets close to SWG and is a great game to play. Also with a hint of  Darkfall (Full loot, Siegeing)

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I have no use for forced FFA PvP MMO's. It is easy to have 'sandbox' elements when the PvP is used as the game's primary content. SWG allowed for the choice to PvP or not.  I really am happy for those that enjoy such games.

• TkyleTkyle Member UncommonPosts: 33

I got REALLY excited about this game until I seen it was open pvp. This to me was a huge letdown as I've been looking for another sandbox fix since SWG's was lost to me. I'm not against pvp, just open world pvp where you're constantly being harrassed by gankers.

Good luck to them though and I'll just keep waiting for another game that'll be more for me. =)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Snakex
    Earthrise.... Yup yup, Earthrise is a fun game, that has many many skills and has a very complex crafting system and Combat system. As a SWG vet i would like to state the Earthrise is the one game that gets close to SWG and is a great game to play. Also with a hint of  Darkfall (Full loot, Siegeing)

You sir are a moron for advertising the crap that is Earthrise tbh.

Old SWG pre NGE was ten times better then what Erthrise might be once they solve their server/client-issues.

To get there, where SWG has been long time ago it needs some two or three years for Earthrise, if things do change dramatically, which they won't with the stoopid devs of Masthead Studios working at it.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Earthrise looked fun, until I saw it was FFA, full loot PVP. That feature alone ruins so many MMOs...
  • musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Earthrise = One of the dullest sandbox games to ever be created. Comparing it to SWG pre-cu is an absolute joke. It's kinda funny how some people that are so starved to play a mmo that is sandbox they will accept anything.

• Necrite666Necrite666 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Never played SWG but was hoping to find a replacement for dated Anarchy Online. But letting the bugs aside forced full loot pvp kills Earthrise for me too. It's a shame.

I hate WoW and what it has done to the MMO genre.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    EarthRise is nothing like SWG.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

I'm actually surprised to see the opinions in this thread. I completely agree with them, I'm just surprised to see them - The most vocal advocators of sandbox MMO's are usually the same people who (very loudly) proclaim that Full Loot FFA PVP is the only way to go.

One of the things that I liked about SWG (although I'm a post-NGE player only) was that PvP was optional. As with many others here, I was interested in Earthrise until I saw (very early on) that it was forced PvP. Then I stopped following it completely... and the only sandbox-y game that hasn't had that, that's come out recently that isn't has been Fallen Earth, which I liked, but which was severely lacking in the crafting and housing aspect compared to SWG.

Shame, really. I wish someone would do a proper, high budget PvE sandbox with optional PvP.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by Z3R01

EarthRise is nothing like SWG.

This.

Originally posted by thecipher
    I'm actually surprised to see the opinions in this thread. I completely agree with them, I'm just surprised to see them - The most vocal advocators of sandbox MMO's are usually the same people who (very loudly) proclaim that Full Loot FFA PVP is the only way to go.

One of the things that I liked about SWG (although I'm a post-NGE player only) was that PvP was optional. As with many others here, I was interested in Earthrise until I saw (very early on) that it was forced PvP. Then I stopped following it completely... and the only sandbox-y game that hasn't had that, that's come out recently that isn't has been Fallen Earth, which I liked, but which was severely lacking in the crafting and housing aspect compared to SWG.

Shame, really. I wish someone would do a proper, high budget PvE sandbox with optional PvP.

Forced PvP isn't actually the problem in Earthrise. The problem is, that there's no possibility to evade PvP. Once you step 1 foot outside of the camps or cities you're unprotected. You can't do anything in Earthrise without being 100% vulnerable.
    And with the bsaically non-existant penalties for PKing, the game is nothing else then a mindless gankfest.

Look at EvE Online for example, which is FFA PvP with full loot aswell. Still you have lot's of options to evade PvP if you chose to play it this way and there's actual consequences for PKing.

• swampthing11swampthing11 Member Posts: 62

not touching a open pvp game, period.  Too many asshats out there that live to do nothing but gank lowbies.  open pvp just isn't fun at all.

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by Yalexy

Forced PvP isn't actually the problem in Earthrise. The problem is, that there's no possibility to evade PvP. Once you step 1 foot outside of the camps or cities you're unprotected. You can't do anything in Earthrise without being 100% vulnerable.

And with the bsaically non-existant penalties for PKing, the game is nothing else then a mindless gankfest.

Look at EvE Online for example, which is FFA PvP with full loot aswell. Still you have lot's of options to evade PvP if you chose to play it this way and there's actual consequences for PKing.

We're not particularly disagreeing here, but I thought I'd clarify a bit:

Forced PvP, as a concept, isn't the problem. I can totally see the legitimacy of it, and the appeal of it as well. Hell, if it was done right, I might even be more inclined towards that sort of game. However, forced PvP, as it is implemented, very much is the problem, in every MMO of that type that I've tried, with the exception of EVE Online.

I did actually play EVE for 4 months or so, and had a fairly good time there - I was mainly a salvager/mission runner, but I was in a decent corp for that sort of thing, and more importantly, I was prepared for PvP with the good old EVE mantra of "don't fly anything you can't afford to lose". I had multiple ships - some for hauling my stuff, and 4 or so ships with identical setups for running missions and salvaging.  Oddly enough, the pvp wasn't what drove me away from EVE in the end, it was more the disconnect from not having an avatar, and the slow pace of the game.

However, with the possible exception of Xsyon (which I'm kinda-sorta following from the sidelines at the moment), EVE is the only game I've seen with a proper implementation of forced PvP. If you know of any others, I'd be happy to hear about them.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Earthrise?  Whats that?    lol 

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

omg yeah very complex combat system, you only left click

However, with the possible exception of Xsyon (which I'm kinda-sorta following from the sidelines at the moment), EVE is the only game I've seen with a proper implementation of forced PvP. If you know of any others, I'd be happy to hear about them.

That's the problem exactly... I'm looking for a MMO that has a setup like EvE Online but with avatars running around for several years allready.

Darkfall and Earthrise both failed to implement FFA PvP properly and Fallen Earth isn't exactly what I'd call FFA PvP.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by Yalexy

That's the problem exactly... I'm looking for a MMO that has a setup like EvE Online but with avatars running around for several years allready.

Darkfall and Earthrise both failed to implement FFA PvP properly and Fallen Earth isn't exactly what I'd call FFA PvP.

I think the biggest thing is that people get caught up on the concept of "all or nothing." Why can't they have safe zones in a sandbox PvP player-centric game? PvP isn't just "I bash you with my sword" or "Imma firin' mah laser." PvP is anything the players do that is in competition with each other. It could be territorial control that involves actual combat, or it can be market manipulation that involves no combat.

I believe that CCP said once that the majority of players spend most of their time in Empire space, which is pretty much a safe zone. I know it's technically still PvP-on, but in all the months I've played Eve, I've never got into a PvP situation in Empire. The people in Empire supply a lot of the resources used in crafting. That's pretty important because if they couldn't play in relative safety then most wouldn't play, and the manufacturing would slow consideribly.

I've yet to play Earthrise since 1) I'm student teaching this semester and 2) I hear they have some performance-related bugs to work out. But as far as Darkfall goes, the game doesn't work so well because there are no safe zones, there is a lack of variety in items (there are many reasons to use a frigate over a battleship in Eve and within each their the ships have their on specialties, but few reasons to use an R10 when you can use an R90 in Darkfall), there aren't nearly enough different items for players to craft, the skill system doesn't branch out and is rather bare-bones and the world is extremely limited in how players can build in it.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

I am completely on board with you here, there are ten times the  players that would play a game like Darkfall, Earthrise or even Xsyon if it wasnt forced full loot PvP, but every game being made like this contains this element.  Its baffeling.

edit:  Let me add I am not against having a PvP element in the game (Icurrently play Darkfall) but the way its implemented is completely disruptive to most peoples gameplay style that enjoy true open gameworlds.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

I can't stand FFA PVP and to be honest, I think it's a copout for a developer to make a game souly focused on PVP (and maybe crafting) at endgame, tather than incorporating PVE elements.  Just take a look at all the FTP MMO's with cash shops....they have goal and that's PVP endgame...why?  Because it take a whole lot more time and ingenuity to create PVE content than it does to tell players to kill each other all day.

That's really why PVP just seems cheap to me everytime I go to do it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Earthrise character creation is very limited.  I liked SWG's character creation :(

I will give this game a try though, in a month or two maybe.  Too many performance problems people are having.  I like decent performance.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I think there is a very vocal minority out there who like to think that full loot PvP is kewl, but any developer foolish enough to remove aspects of character progession (loot loss) from the game will end up with a game full of players who simply don't give a damn...and a failure of a game. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It has fairly nice graphics and reminds me a little of Tabula Rasa, but full fledged pvp is why I haven't bothered, I don't want to pvp all the time and I play FPS games for that.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I'm actually surprised too. Someone would think SWG pre cu vets belong to the oldskool generation, UO and full loot is no foreign concept for them.

Fully support the full loot FFA PvP. If someone get this right for the most people (so people are willing to accept facing being open to PvP at ll times for the exceptional good gameplay on their own playstyle in exchange) he has the answer to MMORPG's and how they should be made.

The most intense PvP was BH vs Jedi back in pre cu and the factor to the feeling that something could be lost (xp or skill points for the Jedi in this case) added to the immersion.  The fun in pvp is heavily toned down if this element is missing IMO - risk , implemented through loot or xp or skill loss, that is.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)