Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got Hardware questions?

VyronVyron Member Posts: 55

A great site with great information to help you make your "Rig" all it can be. And then some. :)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/

Very large data base on comparisons, compatabilities ect ect.

Comments

• SamurninsaiSamurninsai Member Posts: 9

I'm looking to make a pc that needs to play not only MMORPS but FPSs so if anyone knows of benchmarks of MMORPG, MMO, FPS, and anyother games please let me know by mail. Thanks for the help.

Samurninsai

• BchampBchamp Member Posts: 5

In buying a new desktop what are the general stats I'd want to be able to play any MMO available, and hopefully brand new ones for a while?

Games I play that aren't on the List: MUD1, Planetarion, Freestyle Street Basketball, Hattrick, RS Classic

I'm a Fantasy Hoops nut!:NBA.com,ESPN,KFBA,RotoHog, PASPN Mock GM, Yahoo, CBS, Hotbox, FleaFlicker

Im building a Intel 1366 core i7 PC. Ill use a Intel core i7-950, ASUS rampage 3 gene as its a MATX so itll be smaller then most and ill start with a geforce gts 450 gpu graphics card, 12 GB of Mushkin redline cl6 ddr3 trichannel ram, with windows 7 pro and a OCZ pci-e 120GB revodrive, Enermax Modu87+ 800W Quiet Power Supply, blu-ray/dvd player, and a sumsung LED/LCD monitor with tv tuner, and a coolermaster 922 red chassie. Later on ill upgrade to ether a gefroce gtx 480/490/495 with liquid cooling and the gts 450 will be a physx card, and ill add liquid cooling to it, also ill have the cpu liquid cooled. That way on my MATX mobo i can use 3 pcie slots x16 (gpu)/x16 (gpu)/x4 (pice ssd for gaming and OS) and a pci for a dvr card. I was thinking that a raid 0 ssd 6/gbs would help for runnning games so I may look into that at a later time, but to start lots of people tell me that mushkins redline or ridgeback CL6 ddr3 ram is good and fast enough to handle games no prob so ill go with that. If anyone knows of Mudbox runniong well on these geforce 400 cards please post here i think ill get into that with this system.

Samurninsai

Originally posted by Vyron

A great site with great information to help you make your "Rig" all it can be. And then some. :)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/

Very large data base on comparisons, compatabilities ect ect.

Thank you!

Samurninsai

• killerkrillkillerkrill Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Samurninsai

Im building a Intel 1366 core i7 PC. Ill use a Intel core i7-950, ASUS rampage 3 gene as its a MATX so itll be smaller then most and ill start with a geforce gts 450 gpu graphics card, 12 GB of Mushkin redline cl6 ddr3 trichannel ram, with windows 7 pro and a OCZ pci-e 120GB revodrive, Enermax Modu87+ 800W Quiet Power Supply, blu-ray/dvd player, and a sumsung LED/LCD monitor with tv tuner, and a coolermaster 922 red chassie. Later on ill upgrade to ether a gefroce gtx 480/490/495 with liquid cooling and the gts 450 will be a physx card, and ill add liquid cooling to it, also ill have the cpu liquid cooled. That way on my MATX mobo i can use 3 pcie slots x16 (gpu)/x16 (gpu)/x4 (pice ssd for gaming and OS) and a pci for a dvr card. I was thinking that a raid 0 ssd 6/gbs would help for runnning games so I may look into that at a later time, but to start lots of people tell me that mushkins redline or ridgeback CL6 ddr3 ram is good and fast enough to handle games no prob so ill go with that. If anyone knows of Mudbox runniong well on these geforce 400 cards please post here i think ill get into that with this system.

Or you can fork out drastically less for a AMD Phenom II x6 series and overclock it to match the intel processor. Also Intel 1366 is the CPU socket type, not the processor name. Even then the lowest of the i7 series costs more than a 6 core AMD running at 3.5 GHZ (far more if you overclock). Managed to get a 2.8 GHZ to run up to 4.0 GHZ and maintain 30C. So have fun with that. Off to piss on my heatsink!

• aaron15aaron15 Member Posts: 1

In buying a new desktop what are the general stats I'd want to be able to play any MMO available, and hopefully brand new ones for a while?

• ernest27ernest27 Member Posts: 1

I'm looking to make a pc that needs to play not only MMORPS but FPSs so if anyone knows of benchmarks of MMORPG, MMO, FPS, and anyother games please let me know by mail.

• jwfcpjwfcp Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by aaron15

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

excellent site, results link you to a custom search on tigerdirect, pity we wont know the specs for new releases till theyre out.

• kearnsr11kearnsr11 Member Posts: 1

I'm looking to make a pc that needs to play not only MMORPS but FPSs so if anyone knows of benchmarks of MMORPG, MMO, FPS, and anyother games please let me know by mail. Thanks for the help.

• 190100190100 Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by killerkrill

Originally posted by Samurninsai

Or you can fork out drastically less for a AMD Phenom II x6 series and overclock it to match the intel processor. Also Intel 1366 is the CPU socket type, not the processor name. Even then the lowest of the i7 series costs more than a 6 core AMD running at 3.5 GHZ (far more if you overclock). Managed to get a 2.8 GHZ to run up to 4.0 GHZ and maintain 30C. So have fun with that. Off to piss on my heatsink!

Phenom is pretty bad bang for buck now that sandy bridge is out, though some people may want to wait for the enthusiast socket to come out.

AMD current gen sucks terribly at single/dual core performance (gaming, most programs) and overclocking (unless you're going sub zero). And no AVX instruction which may (probably, in fact) become as important as MMX and SSE2.

i5 2500k will beat the Phenom x6 at most things, especially if it's overclocked, and even in apps that can use 6 cores it will compare very well. If the app supports AVX, the Phenom doesn't stand a shadow of a chance vs the 50-100% boost the instruction gives. If you want cheap amd crap... wait for bulldozer, it has an avx implementation.

• raz3199raz3199 Member Posts: 9

nice site, really informative. thanks for sharing

• kjellemannkjellemann Member UncommonPosts: 13

Thanks

The Secret World

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

So, I'm trying to run great looking games like Skyrim, and Deus Ex: HR and Witcher 2 on best settings and they're all like "Nuh-uh". My PCs starting to fail at its duty of providing me with top experiences for my games.

I'm not one to fork out thousands on a whole new rig just so I can be "future-proof" for 5 years or so. I'm trying to analyse which of the parts in it I should replace first (i.e. even if they're all "fine", which would have the most impact on my performance in-game?)

Specs:

MoBo = Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H
    Processors = Phenom X4 965 Black Edition
    Graphics Card = GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    RAM = 8 GB (according to "System" in Control Panel)

Any help would be mucho appreciated, amigos.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Zillen

So, I'm trying to run great looking games like Skyrim, and Deus Ex: HR and Witcher 2 on best settings and they're all like "Nuh-uh". My PCs starting to fail at its duty of providing me with top experiences for my games.

I'm not one to fork out thousands on a whole new rig just so I can be "future-proof" for 5 years or so. I'm trying to analyse which of the parts in it I should replace first (i.e. even if they're all "fine", which would have the most impact on my performance in-game?)

Specs:

lol this thread is nearly 3 years old mate. But since you posted, ditching the AMD CPU and Motherboard would be your best bet, as the GTX 560ti is still a great card and will most likley be held back by your CPU.

Get your self a i5 3570k and a nice mid range z77 board and you will be totally fine for most things.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

MB's (Personal Favorites):

Asus -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820

Gigabyte -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

A secondary thing to work out would be what brand/speed of ram you have, if you dont know odds on its el cheapo no name stuff that doesnt perform well. A decent 16gb kit of either Corsiar or G.Skill costs around a 100 bucks and under at the moment, there really isnt much of an argument to buy/use no name ram anymore.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Thanks a ton man! Your comment was super-helpful - I've been thinking of switching processor brands, but you're the first to tell me straight up that it might be the root of my dilemna.

On a final note, is it worth buying the fancier i6 / 7 models? They're pretty expensive, and I was wondering whether the extra investment is worth it.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    a good site for info (even amd goes there for feed back )is overclock.com carefull tho cause they are whiter then white no-non sense site !so carefull!aside from that they are very good!
  • rebjornrebjorn Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Zillen

Specs:

Hey. I can tell you my rig looked very similar to that just a few months ago.

I spent about $ 900-1000 upgrading and I have to tell you, EVERYTHING is just better now. I picked up a nicely used GTX 680 which is a very decent card even compared to the new 770+ cards. That one was about 300. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one for 250 or even lower soon (nicely used, that is). The upgrade from a HD 5850 was massive.

I see you got a reply regarding CPU and yeah it does really matter a lot. I had to get a new mobo for the i7 4770k I picked up, and added some RAM to the package. This set me back about 650 - so a total of 900-1000 for the GPU and that other stuff.

It IS quite a bit of money but I just wanted to report that these things combined made a world of difference for just about everything I was used to doing. Now imagine a whole new pre assembled gaming rig with that stuff - that'd be way more than 900-1000. They'd try and push a new cabinet, OEM Windows, keyboard, DVD player, fans, all kinds of stuff on you in addition.

Point: Try to pick up some nicely(!) used stuff from a trusted source. Preferably with warranties/receipts. Fork out a bit on some new stuff, but don't spend money you don't need to spend. Assuming you still have your Hard Drive, keyboard, mouse, screen, etc, you could get a really nice upgrade that you'll be really happy with for under half of what a brand new gaming rig would cost. If you do your research and know how to install things yourself.

• Scagweed22Scagweed22 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I have a cheap laptop with integrated AMD radeon HD 7340 graphics hardware on it and i can buy a new one but are there any cheaper alternatives then buying a new laptop or computer? I heard there's external graphics cards and my laptop has a usb 3.0 port on it and i'd really rather only spend 40 dollars or so on an upgrade instead of fork out $400 for a new laptop or computer, i have a good flat screen monitor like 19 inches or so so can buy a desktop type too, the graphics are ok on most new games, on low settings i get 3 or 4 frames a second easy, but with the required updating to windows 10 in a few months I'm afraid i won't get but 2 or 3 frames a second because the performance is halved from windows 7 to windows 10, please help thank you
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited November 2015
    @Scagweed22 ;

What are the rest of your laptop's specs? If you've got a 400$ laptop from a couple of years ago then you'll need to buy a completely new computer to get anything running properly.

If you want games to run properly you'll need like 1 000$ laptop, or alternatively 600$ desktop designed for gaming would be good enough. There are a lot computers cheaper than that, but usually they're only good at running Office and web browser. Gaming requires a lot more power from the computer, so more expensive hardware.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Bchamp said:

Well, MMOs are far easier and cheaper to buy a computer for than FPS games. Go for 8 gig ram (DDR3 is good enough), any mid range CPU and an above average GFX card (Nvidia GTX 960 or a AMD with similar stats). For massive PvP fans you might buff up the GFX card 1 step to a GTX 970 instead, just to be sure. A SSD is a must, I would go for a 250 gigs with a 2-3 TB media drive for music and stuff.

Personally I would recommend you to build it yourself, it is actually really simple as long as you are careful about static electricity and you get a lot more bang for the buck (the motherboard have a manual on how you do it). The second best thing is to walk into your local geek store and have them build it for you instead. Stay away from brand computers, they are not worth the price. I would also stay away from Win10 a few more months, it is still somewhat buggy.

Oh, and the screen is important for us MMO fans. I recommend a 27" 2K screen with 5ms or better refresh rate. Good resolution, 4K is rarely worth the price. A good keyboard is always a good investment as well, I have a Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard myself (I can even make it light the different command keys for the game I am playing in different lights). As for mouse that really is a personal thing, try out a bunch at a store and find something that works for you.

A lot of people tend to forget screen and input devices but they make a huge difference. :)
  • ScagweedScagweed Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Where can I get a free pc? I would prefer if they donate at least 100% of their profits to the anti punk society too
  • WmxWmx Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Hello everyone! I'd like your help on deciding what to build....

What I'm planning to do with my new pc?
    - Gaming (Mostly MMOs with some solo-play games like Doom, AC, Deus Ex, Witcher 3 and etc.)
    - Adobe creative suite (PS, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects)
    - Video editing
    - 3D rendering

Well, mostly gaming and graphic design.

My 2 possible builds: 1 is a budget version and the second one is medium-range.

AMD route:

CPU - FX-6300 (FX-8320e)
    Mobo - GA-970A-UD3P
    RAM - HyperX 8GB
    -------------------------- Cost: 241-302€

Intel route:

CPU - i5 6500
    Mobo - GA-Z170-HD3P
    RAM - Fury HyperX 4GB 2x (DDR4 2133MHz)
    -------------------------- Cost: 381€ 

I left out PSU, GPU and HDD because I will use spare parts from my old pc. 

PSU - Starting out with Corsair VS550 550W (Thinking about a new one) 
    GPU - a free GTX 560Ti (Saving up for a Radeon R9 380)
    HDD - Toshiba 1TB (Might add an SSD in the future) 

All in all, both builds seem like decent ones, but I believe that Intel will give me better performance and will be viable in the future as with AMD I would have to upgrade at some point.

What do you think? What would be the best way to go? 

Thank you! 
  • HoolyganHoolygan Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @Wmx I would recommend you to get an intel CPU, but, if you're going to do advanced video editing , 16 GB of ram is required and also an i7. AMD is dead at the moment, maybe ryzen will revive it, if you're willing to wait for the new AMD CPU to launch would be awesome. Please consider that an Z170 won't help you much in performance, so if you're on a tight budget, consider buying an B150 or B250 ( new motherboards are great, but also doesn't impact performance that much, the biggest advantage is that the memory will run at 2400 MHZ ( if you buy one with that frequency ) with a new Kaby Lake CPU ). Best regards !
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited February 2017
    If you are 3D rendering, then AMD does make sense. Even the long in the tooth 8370 makes sense here because 3D rendering scales really well. Since his post was in September, I would have said to get the FX 8370 or 8320e. Always adjust your CPU requirements to what is most demanding on the CPU. If he wasn't 3D rendering then the i5 would be a better choice.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    necros