Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So apparently some VERY big things are going unchanged on Fippy...

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Kruul

I havent played EQ in years. What did they do with SKs HT

It's on 1 hour cooldown, and kinda powerful at low levels.  You get it right away, it's under the AA tab.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Mardy

Originally posted by Kruul

I havent played EQ in years. What did they do with SKs HT

It's on 1 hour cooldown, and kinda powerful at low levels.  You get it right away, it's under the AA tab.

Well I played an SK for 2 years 1999-2001 and know its a powerful 1 hour cooldown ability useable at all levels. My question is what did they do to it to make it OP in it's current form ?

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

3 of my guildies will play on that server once a week.But im gona pass. i still play eq1 now an going backward doesnt seem as fun. Specialy when a server hits god/oow eras they fall apart seems.Those two expansions almost killed eq1.

But that whole you cant go home agian bs ... well yeah you can.But time passes an homes change.Eq has changed over the years .But one thing holds true.. the offical forum raider hard core fan boy royalty still try to get other classes nerfed to make them feel better about their classes.Shame realy that hampers growth of any game.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Inscribed in big friendly letters: Don't Panic.

They are aware of it and may swing a nerf stick.

SoE is not known for their listening skills, but with the Fippy Server they already changed alot based on player comments.

They have to use the current data, rules, etc otherwise it would cost too many hours for too few customers - This is why we wont get the original eq, but still closer than if they just reopened a new server. They also state they will try to remove objects that gives an unfair advantage for a given expansion.

• sumnayinsumnayin Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Axeion

3 of my guildies will play on that server once a week.But im gona pass. i still play eq1 now an going backward doesnt seem as fun. Specialy when a server hits god/oow eras they fall apart seems.Those two expansions almost killed eq1.

But that whole you cant go home agian bs ... well yeah you can.But time passes an homes change.Eq has changed over the years .But one thing holds true.. the offical forum raider hard core fan boy royalty still try to get other classes nerfed to make them feel better about their classes.Shame realy that hampers growth of any game.

Thats funny to me, GoD killed EQ for me....soon after it came out I was tired and quit...my guild was #2 on the server...we did Time before GoD came out but nothing about GoD was fun for me.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Who cares about balance and such.  The game is what 12 years old now?  Just play and have fun... 

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by ViewDoo

Originally posted by alacres

One of the most damning, that I'm currently aware of, is the monk damage tables being left as they are with current EQ , meaning that monks will have a "bare fist/weaponless"  attack/speed of 26/20 at around 50. On classic and up, through quite a few expansions, this will put them at a staggering advantage over all other melee dps, even those with top raid weapons.

If that's not enough of a slap in the face, the shadow knight ability "harm touch" (or death touch, I can't remember the name exactly) is also being left as it is on current, which means that a big enough group of SKs, along with the overpowered DPS of monks, will pretty much trivialize all of the classic content.

Here's the source of this information - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?start=285&topic_id=173099 (around pages 20-21)

I don't know about you guys, but this a huge deal breaker to me. It seems like they are already decided to keep things as they are, and if that's the case, I see absolutely no point in playing this server. Raiding will be a complete and utter joke if something isn't done to correct this imbalance.

I guess all I can do is wait and hope.

“You can’t go home again” - Thomas Wolfe

This has nothing to do with some delusion of "wanting to go home again". I know full well that this server will be way different than it was in the beginning and I really don't care about that - I even played on the last progression and had a great time.

What I do care about is a few major class imbalances completely trivializing all content up through as far as PoP. I think some of you fail to realize just how much of a negative impact this will have on the server. It will make other melee dps classes (rogues more than any other) pretty much useless in comparison. This will make it way harder for those classes to find groups when competing against monks, which naturally, will be overplayed to heck and back due to the imbalance. I've played enough of this kind of game to know that if something can be exploited or gives an advantage, it will be utilized by the playerbase. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.

Also, it's going to be much harder for tanks to keep aggro, especially considering that monks are usually the designated puller in the group. Sure, they have FD, but it's not exactly the most reliable tool early on, so it will hardly make up for the monk's DPS output. I guess they might as well give monks access to plate since they'll likely be the ones with aggro most of the time image

Again, this has nothing to do with me wanting this server to be some "classic recreation", but call me crazy, I was under the impression we were getting a progression server here. It hardly feels, or deserves to be called, a progression server if the content is so trivialized that you could literally blink a few times, not even land a single blow, and watch a raid boss fall to the ground in mere seconds, thanks to that handy group of SKs with their cooldown ability.

Originally posted by Letsinod

Who cares about balance and such.  The game is what 12 years old now?  Just play and have fun... 

To many, having fun requires some form of challenge and sense of accomplishment. That concept doesn't seem too feasible in this situation.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

they couldnt even figure out how to get the boats to work again!!  eq classic my ass!!!!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I don't care...EQ had always had class imbalances -- some were better than others. People played each for their own individual reasons.  Complaining that one or two classes are 'overpowered' is a modern MMO paradigm.

Originally posted by Dredphyre

I don't care...EQ had always had class imbalances -- some were better than others. People played each for their own individual reasons.  Complaining that one or two classes are 'overpowered' is a modern MMO paradigm.

Yeah, I'd agree with that if the imbalances were at an acceptable, non-gamebreaking level, but that's not the case. Monks will have a 40% DPS increase over every other melee DPS for upwards of a years time in the servers life. The same goes for the SK ability that will literally take a raid bosses health down by around 7% or more in a single instant.

In other words, you really can't compare this to some typical imbalance situation. It's grossly more significant.

It'll be fine, the server will be filled & packed regardless.  Majority of the people don't read the forums and don't care about someone doing more dps than they do.  It's going to be crazy, even people who are worried right now will probably login.  Then as soon as they start getting that nostalgia and start having fun, nothing else will really matter.

Is it unfortunate a few unbalanced abilities are left ingame?  Sure.  But compared to today's EQ, Fippy is nowhere near the power of those on live regular servers.  Monks with higher dps still won't be able to tank, they most definitely can't cc so without a group, they still can't solo dungeons.  SK's with a 1 shot wonder per hour may sound cool, but again without a group, they still can't do dungeons & group content.  Mage/necro pets?  Bleh, mages are softies, if anything get on them they'll go splat and you know it.  Necros have always been overpowered in classic content, which honestly I'm surprised nobody has called for their heads yet. 

All in all, things will be fine.  Based on polls and previous progression stats, melees would not be played as much as the casters.  So if this makes more people play melees it may actually balance the playing field for what would've otherwise been a caster dominated early era.  Raid bosses will be downed by the select few hardcore raid guilds that are only on Fippy to rush to the end and kill those bosses.  That won't change, and that does not affect any of the regular folks that'll be playing on Fippy since the majority get to vote on the progression this time.  And raiders are *not* in the majority.

Take a breather, Tuesday will be fun.  If you want to miss out on it based on a few specific class abilities then so be it.  But I never thought any of that really mattered when it comes to nostalgia.  Nostalgia is about the community and old school players getting together seeking fun in an original classic game.  It's about that newbie rush where Fippy will feel like a new game that just launched.  Personally I won't be rolling a monk or sk.  I'm picking a class that won't compete with popular class for weapons & armor.  Think I'll go with a bard this time, everybody likes a bard image

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174

Omfg, I've never heard such a cacophony of whiners in my life.  They are bringing the original game back, mostly for profit, but also for nastalgia.  The original game had a ton of loopholes; the monk and shadowknight being but a small portion.  Who the hell cares?  Most of the people playing this server want to experience either, what they've heard about or what they used to have to go through (ie. corpse runs, death penalty, etc.). 

Why in the world why would you worry so much about a monk imbalance?  And more importantly, why would that be your "final" breaking point for choosing Rift over EQ?  Very silly, if you ask me.  (And being a member of this forum, I am inherently implied to ask.  :) )  

Originally posted by Mardy

It'll be fine, the server will be filled & packed regardless.  Majority of the people don't read the forums and don't care about someone doing more dps than they do.  It's going to be crazy, even people who are worried right now will probably login.  Then as soon as they start getting that nostalgia and start having fun, nothing else will really matter.

Is it unfortunate a few unbalanced abilities are left ingame?  Sure.  But compared to today's EQ, Fippy is nowhere near the power of those on live regular servers.  Monks with higher dps still won't be able to tank, they most definitely can't cc so without a group, they still can't solo dungeons.  SK's with a 1 shot wonder per hour may sound cool, but again without a group, they still can't do dungeons & group content.  Mage/necro pets?  Bleh, mages are softies, if anything get on them they'll go splat and you know it.  Necros have always been overpowered in classic content, which honestly I'm surprised nobody has called for their heads yet. 

All in all, things will be fine.  Based on polls and previous progression stats, melees would not be played as much as the casters.  So if this makes more people play melees it may actually balance the playing field for what would've otherwise been a caster dominated early era.  Raid bosses will be downed by the select few hardcore raid guilds that are only on Fippy to rush to the end and kill those bosses.  That won't change, and that does not affect any of the regular folks that'll be playing on Fippy since the majority get to vote on the progression this time.  And raiders are *not* in the majority.

Take a breather, Tuesday will be fun.  If you want to miss out on it based on a few specific class abilities then so be it.  But I never thought any of that really mattered when it comes to nostalgia.  Nostalgia is about the community and old school players getting together seeking fun in an original classic game.  It's about that newbie rush where Fippy will feel like a new game that just launched.  Personally I won't be rolling a monk or sk.  I'm picking a class that won't compete with popular class for weapons & armor.  Think I'll go with a bard this time, everybody likes a bard image

That's just it though - the fun factor, for many of us, lies with having some kind of a challenge in the old world. With HT being the way it is, raid content will be a "blink and you'll miss it" scenario, more often than not. Monks taking precedence over every other melee dps in the group game is also going to cause a lot of grief for anyone picking the competing classes. I just don't see how this won't hugely impede upon the enjoyment of the game for many people, hence why I'm so vigilant with how I feel about this.

Anyway, at this point, I guess there's no way anything will happen, unless the devs are able to think of a simple way to fix this (ie. something that isn't global). I don't entirely blame them, as I know this isn't something that they can handle easily, but I really think this server should have been delayed long enough for a solution to be found, versus releasing it as is and expecting everyone to accept blatant imbalances.

oh who gives a shit about monks and harm touch! SERIOUSLY!!!!!

why isnt anyone else upset about the boats still being broken!!!!!  NO DRUNKEN BOAT RIDES!!! NO ACCIDENTLY SLIPPING OFF THE SIDE OF THE SHIP INTO THE OCEAN OF TEARS!!!!

Nostalgia my ass!

Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge

Originally posted by bingbongbros

why isnt anyone else upset about the boats still being broken!!!!!  NO DRUNKEN BOAT RIDES!!! NO ACCIDENTLY SLIPPING OFF THE SIDE OF THE SHIP INTO THE OCEAN OF TEARS!!!!

Nostalgia my ass!

Hi, there are boats.  The translocators are in yes, but there are boats.  Not all boats work, but there are some that do work.  You are free to get drunk and fall off boats all you want.

It's strange people nitpick ONE or TWO things out of a whole grand scheme of an EQ time locked progression server.  Honestly you know you already had a game in mind to play, so why bother bugging people here about whatever complaints you have?  Nothing they do would pull you to EQ over Rift anyway.

• tarviktarvik Member UncommonPosts: 84

Nostalgia my ass!

the boat from Butcherblock to Freeport works , was just on it an hour ago..an once you see what OOT looks like right now an how fast the boat is.....the boat is faster than freakin hell....your gonna want a transporter hah

The boat from butcherblock to FV is not there that one you use the transporter ...but ya just wanted to tell ya about the freeport one =p

Originally posted by tarvik

Nostalgia my ass!

the boat from Butcherblock to Freeport works , was just on it an hour ago..an once you see what OOT looks like right now an how fast the boat is.....the boat is faster than freakin hell....your gonna want a transporter hah

The boat from butcherblock to FV is not there that one you use the transporter ...but ya just wanted to tell ya about the freeport one =p

like how fast? like so fast that i cant enjoy the ride or fast enough where i wouldnt even be able to get drunk before we arrived

Nostalgia my ass!

like how fast? like so fast that i cant enjoy the ride or fast enough where i wouldnt even be able to get drunk before we arrived

With the stop in OOT its like a total of a 2 min ride

Nostalgia my ass!

Ild say not quite bard speed fast but faster than spirit of the eagle.I think its a lore thing to modern eq that their wouldnt be boats from bb to fv . Fv was took over by the overthere crowd.Why would dwarfs send a ship to their.Why would freerade ships go their only to be captured destroyed etc etc.

Yup fv is controled by dark elves an golums like in the overthere.Tho all that should be imho difrnet on a classic server.Wonder if they will use the new spell progression spells per level sorta thing or the old every few levels .One would think with as many progresive classic servers they have done they would have some of this down pat.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

Originally posted by Axeion.One would think with as many progresive classic servers they have done they would have some of this down pat.

This is only the second time they've done it.  And by looking at the FAQ and all the things they have done to it, they sure did spend a lot of time tweaking things according to player feedback (especially feedback from players that did play the previous progression servers).

You can't help that some people will focus on a few select imperfections and overlook the grand scheme of things, the fact that they did change a lot from the previous progression servers to make this feel more "classic" like.  It's not 1999 but I really doubt majority of the people today are really looking for a true 1999.

Nostalgia my ass!

Ild say not quite bard speed fast but faster than spirit of the eagle.I think its a lore thing to modern eq that their wouldnt be boats from bb to fv . Fv was took over by the overthere crowd.Why would dwarfs send a ship to their.Why would freerade ships go their only to be captured destroyed etc etc.

Yup fv is controled by dark elves an golums like in the overthere.Tho all that should be imho difrnet on a classic server.Wonder if they will use the new spell progression spells per level sorta thing or the old every few levels .One would think with as many progresive classic servers they have done they would have some of this down pat.

so becuase im beyond bored i checked this..its a 5 min boat from from BB to FP with the stop in OOT...the boat is like 20x faster than a 75 bard speed soon as i jumped off with lev an selo's going that thing flew right pass me like i was standing still

Nostalgia my ass!

so becuase im beyond bored i checked this..its a 5 min boat from from BB to FP with the stop in OOT...the boat is like 20x faster than a 75 bard speed soon as i jumped off with lev an selo's going that thing flew right pass me like i was standing still

Wow! Thats one warp speed boat.Last i was in oot last week for my bl's 1.5 boat made sow look like i was siting still in some places an others i could almost cach up to it.i was judging by that.This was on bristlebane ( err bristlebroke for those old enuff ta rember it) so maybe boats speeds are difrent per sever? Cause ours wasnt near as fast as that last week.

Nostalgia my ass!

Wow! Thats one warp speed boat.Last i was in oot last week for my bl's 1.5 boat made sow look like i was siting still in some places an others i could almost cach up to it.i was judging by that.This was on bristlebane ( err bristlebroke for those old enuff ta rember it) so maybe boats speeds are difrent per sever? Cause ours wasnt near as fast as that last week.

Im not sure but , yea the boat just flew past me again..still in OOT an there is just no one in hell i can catch it ,  it is beyond fast.

You were never able to catch the boats, you were only able to hop on the boats when they dock.