Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Testing in 2011?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Thanks to the eagle eyes of MMORPG.com user, Dinams, a new piece of information has been uncovered on the official Guild Wars 2 FAQ page. The post indicates that a small alpha test and beta testing will likely occur in 2011. Whether this is indicative of a 2012 release or not is unknown but it is good news for fans clamoring for beta testing.

When will there be a beta?

We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it.

Read more here.

Participate in Dinams's forum thread here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

hope we see the realease in 2011 too :/

• jaycorulesjaycorules Member Posts: 12

Yeah hopefully.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Considering how many games are coming out this year it is not a good idea to make people choose. It will just cannibalize the players of games .It is better to wait when the players are hungry for a new game to release so 2012 seems to be better. I know for me this year there is way too many and to be honest March itself is killing me.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

wonder if they'll stick to their first weekend of the month beta test weekends?  man those really messed with my addictive personality

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

When it's ready? yes. Wait for a year with fewer titles? Heck no!

Honestly, GW2 is the anticipated title to beat, not some second tier runner up, hoping to capitalize on a weak market and fickle player base.

So, when it's ready, but I'm hoping it's ready a lot sooner than later!!!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• qweasd170qweasd170 Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by kitarad

Considering how many games are coming out this year it is not a good idea to make people choose. It will just cannibalize the players of games .It is better to wait when the players are hungry for a new game to release so 2012 seems to be better. I know for me this year there is way too many and to be honest March itself is killing me.

I think that making people choose will ultimatly end in GW2 eliminating the competition and thus being a more successful game.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by qweasd170

I think that making people choose will ultimatly end in GW2 eliminating the competition and thus being a more successful game.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• BaromegaBaromega Member UncommonPosts: 11

GW2 doesn't have to worry about competetion because of one reason: No Subscription Fee. Someone who enjoys mainly F2P MMOs usually has many installed at once, whereas a P2P lover might have two MMOs going at the same time. The idea that people can play GW2 (which offers a P2P experience) whenever they want to as opposed to making sure they get their "$15 worth" will alone set it apart from the norm.

And there's also the small fact that it's shaping up to be a kickass game. 

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

Interesting stuff. Still looking like the 2012 release predictions will win out.

• LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 46

At this rate it will never be out,

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The anticipation of GW2 makes me not want to waste time with current mmo's

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

gawd, i had a list of a few of you, that said i was a fool for betting 5% of my yearly income, that guild wars 2 wouldn't be released by first week of dec 2011.

but i lost it.

then there was a few who said it would be released by summer of this year.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I ll gladly welcome gw2 to the mmo jungle we live.heheh

• SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

What games would those be?  If this site is any proof, then THEY'RE the ones who have to worry about Guild Wars 2, not the other way around.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Being that I participate in just about any beta I can get my hands on and have seen some timelines of games from when I helped in alpha beta on through to release , I would bet if they started alpha within the next few weeks that we may get to see a release by 3rd or 4th quarter 2011. Thats considering there isnt to many possible game breaking mechanics they would have to fix. .  From the demos they have shown so far it looks polished, but watching them play and playing it oneself is two different things.  *crosses fingers for 2011 release*

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by thedarkess

NO!!!

i rather wait another year than have an unfinished piece of crap game released sooner

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Well to be truthful the game could be finished for all we know and alpha testing is happening now. But know one knows all we do know is that there releasing info about there game not how far along it is. With most company's they dont release any game play videos unless they have somethings working in the game and from what I have seen so far the game looks good by the videos I have seen. But they as in Anet are not going to say if there close to being finished or if there far from it. I still think in my opinion its not to far off because they havent really released alot of info we dont already know the only thing they havent told us is the rest of the classes and how crafting will work. 

Heck they could release all the race info by Pax East and have in the new demo the option to play all classes and races because know one knows whats ready and what isnt. But my guess is when Pax East gets here the demo will offer other races and classes to play sense they already had human and char in the last demo plus 5 classes I think. So till I hear them say how much they have to finish and give me a release date I will be bouncing around from game to game. 

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by nolic1

Well to be truthful the game could be finished for all we know and alpha testing is happening now. But know one knows all we do know is that there releasing info about there game not how far along it is. With most company's they dont release any game play videos unless they have somethings working in the game and from what I have seen so far the game looks good by the videos I have seen. But they as in Anet are not going to say if there close to being finished or if there far from it. I still think in my opinion its not to far off because they havent really released alot of info we dont already know the only thing they havent told us is the rest of the classes and how crafting will work. 

Heck they could release all the race info by Pax East and have in the new demo the option to play all classes and races because know one knows whats ready and what isnt. But my guess is when Pax East gets here the demo will offer other races and classes to play sense they already had human and char in the last demo plus 5 classes I think. So till I hear them say how much they have to finish and give me a release date I will be bouncing around from game to game. 

I believe one of the CM's said on gw2guru that the demo was really just the most stable version of the game they had at the time and they just tweaked it a little and put in a timer, so it is entirely possible for them to show off races that weren't in the last demo and other parts of the world or even just the whole completed game if it is done.

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

3 games worth buying this year...torchlight 2, Star Wars: ToR and GW2. nuff said!

• Smallpox1Smallpox1 Member Posts: 28

I would think given the state of the testing, and how much they need to test that a 2012 release is both sensible and likely.

I've predicted it would be 2012  ages ago for these very reasons so I am pleased to see they are taking testing it before release as a serious issue.

Put it this way do you want a game that was released in the same state as APB, WAR or AoC all were or one that is polished? 

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Looks like we get to enjoy the fan-bots for another year!

• hulik23hulik23 Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by thedarkess

NO!!!

i rather wait another year than have an unfinished piece of crap game released sooner

seriously, ROFL. i want it out because it will never be bugs free. NONE MMO was bug free. in fact a lot of mmos sucks hard on start. i can live with that. and ANET is company which constantly makes updates and adds new stuff so.... RELEASE IT FINALY so we can play!!!

gotta love those guys saying i can wait...they r pure LOL and TROLLS.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

You dont want to compete with Diablo 3 in 2012 thrust me on this one :P

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Mothanos

You dont want to compete with Diablo 3 in 2012 thrust me on this one :P

D3 in 2012? Kinda optimistic if you ask me.

Eat me!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well, it does look more and more like a late 2011, early 2012 release then.  Lets hope they have used all of this time to really polish the game, and deal with as many potential problems as possible.  As FFIVX demonstrated, the current market is NOT at all forgiving of issue plagued launches, or ill considered design.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."