Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

READ : The Rift / World of Warcraft/Warhammer/Etc Comparison Thread

Comments

• baal80baal80 Member Posts: 18

Add "No freaking pop-culture references all over the place" to your list, please.

Harrison Jones - in my opinion, this is just wrong in a fantasy game (talking about WoW of course).

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Oh, I did find a pop reference ... dancing with the squirrels. Found some squirrels dancing in an obscure mountain top. I don't think I'll be able to find them again hehe.

• ArradienArradien Member Posts: 49

WoW looks like Captain Caveman meets the Simpsons ewwww crap graphics. Rift looks great for realism and stunning graphics something of which WoW will never have. So +1 to Rift for not looking like the Simpsons.

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by baal80

Add "No freaking pop-culture references all over the place" to your list, please.

Harrison Jones - in my opinion, this is just wrong in a fantasy game (talking about WoW of course).

There are a good deal of pop culture/geek references in Rift as well, but they're much less blatant than in WoW. The easiest example in Rift would be the drink called "Mudder's Milk", which is a reference to the episode Jaynestown, in Firefly. In general though, they're well-hidden little nuggets of humor. The WoW equivalent is someone shoving a cream pie full of glass shards in your face.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Originally posted by narghile

I've played WoW since Vanilla and I've been involved in the las two betas for Rift.

Rift reminds me a lot of the vanilla days of WoW.

World PVP, World bosses, maybe even the new game smell of it.

I've been following Rift threads on a few other Forums and I'ld like post some of the useful and interesting things I've come across.

This was a thread labled "100 Reasons Rift is better than WoW"

The count actually went past 120 last I checked.

Not all of the Posts are serious, but I think the majority are valid reasons, at least to the one posting.

1: AOE looting

2: No Ghostcrawler

3: Like WoW but with shinier graphics

4: Customizable UI out of the box

5: Less people playing

6: Rifts

7: It’s not WoW

8: It’ll be free in 6 months like Aion is now

9: No Knaak

10: Character customization

11: Rogue tanking

12: No gnomes

13: It has a shorter name and sounds dirty

14: No Druid shapeshift nerfs

15: Not having to run around the capital city doing nothing.

16: The talent system is mind-blowing

17: Reclaiming mats from old gear.

18: No arena

19: Offensive healers

20: Good tree graphics

21: Amazing, smooth and diverse animations

22: Water actually looks like water

23: Squirrels on fire

24: The map! It zooms!

25: The login screen

26: No ice lance

27: The male Mathosian dance

28: One-click import for UI.

29: Better lore

30: No taxi system

31: Not limited to 1 talent tree

32: General chat is tolerable

33: Bards

34: Nobody manipulating the economy...at least for now.

35: INVAAASIOOOOONS

36: Alliance look cool

37: Items you can buy to open rifts

38: Necromancers

39: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

40: Support classes

41: Healer mage

42: Awesome racials

43: 'Tis new and fresh

44: quad spec, allowing ANY combination of souls you've acquired, not just the 3 active.

45: being able to acquire more than 3 souls in the first place

46: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

47: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

48. The beginner backpack has 20 slots

49. When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

50. no elitists

51.Awesome death "Rifts", with even more awesome dangerous creaturs spawning from them

52: Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start.

53: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when I have the tank fully hotted.

54: Join public raid option for rifts.

55: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

56. The forums aren't full of people who can't read instructions even when in the title

57. only 6 Races, plenty of room to expand

58. Trolls drop Goat Gruff (read your fairy tales)

59. The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

60. Devs listen to community

61. Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

62. No flying everywhere

63. World PvP

64. PvP Players have a loot table

65. Cleric tanking

66. Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

67. no gearscore, very few a-holes in the beta, feels more like an old school mmo

68. Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

69. CHLOROMANCERS!

70. A rogue, two mages, a cleric and a warrior walk into a Dungeon. The rogue tanks, the cleric melees, one mage heals, the other debuffs/controls (find me a WHOLE CLASS in wow that has more than the odd CC and interrupt - I'm talking a whole 2 mage souls dedicated to shutting down the opposition) and the Warrior nomnomnoms you with Dot's and Pets.

71. no undead

72. no Slyvanas and her emo fanboys.

73. Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

74. Dances with Squirrels title!

75. More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

76. No "a more powerful spell is in existence" which GC lied about going in cata.

77. Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

78. it's absolutely beautiful, even on the low-end graphics

79. Critter Tears Artifacts.

80. Faction Vendors in the big cities

81. More fantasy-like than the high-tech technology WoW

82. Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

83. Buyable blues for low levels

84. Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

85. Clerics "blink" with random direction and range.

86.The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

87. It's something different after almost 6 Years

88. Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill>addons)

89. Soul system can be added to in future expansions

90. Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

91. Cool old stuff mixed up with cool high tech stuff (teleporting machines, high tech technology).

92. Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

93. You don't need to reroll fotm, only respec in most cases.

94. "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

95. Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

96. Recap: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

97. No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

98. The Shattering (pre-Cata event) ... ALL DAY LONG

99. No Garrosh or Varian (hopefully!)

100. NO FROST MAGES or ring of frost

101. Taunts actually doing something (AWESOME) in PVP! As someone who has always played Tank in PVE, being able to do it in PVP makes me SO excited.

102. No Tol-Barad which is completely unbalanced (attacker at huge disadvantage)

103. Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

104. I'll be playing a new game. So we're all newbs!

105. Pve changes that only affect pve servers and pvp changes that affect only pvp servers. BEAT THAT BLIZZARD!

106. Armor dyes - OMG we may not all look identical for a change!

107. Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

108. You won't get Uber Gear for less than Uber Effort (dev quote)

109. Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

110 (?). It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players. (I hope)

111. something- Level 1 gold spammers? Easy to ignore since no1 really talks in capital city chat

112. Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat.

113. Looting while mounted.

114. Every zone has a Ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

115. No retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

116. The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, its fun, lively and all around just a blast to be playing!

117. All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

118. Specific 10m content

119. Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

120. Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics o_O !! Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.  Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc....

Epic post man.

Great Post ! :)

• baal80baal80 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by thecipher

Originally posted by baal80

There are a good deal of pop culture/geek references in Rift as well, but they're much less blatant than in WoW. The easiest example in Rift would be the drink called "Mudder's Milk", which is a reference to the episode Jaynestown, in Firefly. In general though, they're well-hidden little nuggets of humor. The WoW equivalent is someone shoving a cream pie full of glass shards in your face.

OK - this only proves my point :) I haven't noticed them while playing and that's enough for me. I was sickened by all this pop crap served by Blizzard.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

I've played WoW since Vanilla and I've been involved in the las two betas for Rift.

Rift reminds me a lot of the vanilla days of WoW.

World PVP, World bosses, maybe even the new game smell of it.

I've been following Rift threads on a few other Forums and I'ld like post some of the useful and interesting things I've come across.

This was a thread labled "100 Reasons Rift is better than WoW"

The count actually went past 120 last I checked.

Not all of the Posts are serious, but I think the majority are valid reasons, at least to the one posting.

1: AOE looting

2: No Ghostcrawler

3: Like WoW but with shinier graphics

4: Customizable UI out of the box

5: Less people playing

6: Rifts

7: It’s not WoW

8: It’ll be free in 6 months like Aion is now

9: No Knaak

10: Character customization

11: Rogue tanking

12: No gnomes

13: It has a shorter name and sounds dirty

14: No Druid shapeshift nerfs

15: Not having to run around the capital city doing nothing.

16: The talent system is mind-blowing

17: Reclaiming mats from old gear.

18: No arena

19: Offensive healers

20: Good tree graphics

21: Amazing, smooth and diverse animations

22: Water actually looks like water

23: Squirrels on fire

24: The map! It zooms!

25: The login screen

26: No ice lance

27: The male Mathosian dance

28: One-click import for UI.

29: Better lore

30: No taxi system

31: Not limited to 1 talent tree

32: General chat is tolerable

33: Bards

34: Nobody manipulating the economy...at least for now.

35: INVAAASIOOOOONS

36: Alliance look cool

37: Items you can buy to open rifts

38: Necromancers

39: Hearthstone doesn’t take an inventory slot

40: Support classes

41: Healer mage

42: Awesome racials

43: 'Tis new and fresh

44: quad spec, allowing ANY combination of souls you've acquired, not just the 3 active.

45: being able to acquire more than 3 souls in the first place

46: talent tree decision making (you need 31 points in a tree to get to the top, but you need 51 points (ie, one spec entirely) to acquire every spell that tree has to offer)

47: PvP only souls, which implies that balance between pve and pvp may wind up not impacting each other later on.

48. The beginner backpack has 20 slots

49. When one member enters an instance, other members get teleported in.

50. no elitists

51.Awesome death "Rifts", with even more awesome dangerous creaturs spawning from them

52: Even the first 2 dungeons have tactics that will wipe you when people fail and are more difficult that cata heroics where at the start.

53: Being able to do decent dps as a healer when I have the tank fully hotted.

54: Join public raid option for rifts.

55: Never needing more than 4 characters to enjoy every class aspect of the game.

56. The forums aren't full of people who can't read instructions even when in the title

57. only 6 Races, plenty of room to expand

58. Trolls drop Goat Gruff (read your fairy tales)

59. The ability to stack items in units higher than 20.

60. Devs listen to community

61. Doesnt take 2 months to fix obvious problems

62. No flying everywhere

63. World PvP

64. PvP Players have a loot table

65. Cleric tanking

66. Devs speak to us across our screens and are actually funny and engaging.

67. no gearscore, very few a-holes in the beta, feels more like an old school mmo

68. Dynamic cycle of dominant builds in pvp like in GW.

69. CHLOROMANCERS!

70. A rogue, two mages, a cleric and a warrior walk into a Dungeon. The rogue tanks, the cleric melees, one mage heals, the other debuffs/controls (find me a WHOLE CLASS in wow that has more than the odd CC and interrupt - I'm talking a whole 2 mage souls dedicated to shutting down the opposition) and the Warrior nomnomnoms you with Dot's and Pets.

71. no undead

72. no Slyvanas and her emo fanboys.

73. Loads of wow fanboys will stay away (haters gonna hate)

74. Dances with Squirrels title!

75. More D&D high fantasy than steampunk comedy

76. No "a more powerful spell is in existence" which GC lied about going in cata.

77. Poisons stay on daggers until YOU swap them, no refresh every 60 mins

78. it's absolutely beautiful, even on the low-end graphics

79. Critter Tears Artifacts.

80. Faction Vendors in the big cities

81. More fantasy-like than the high-tech technology WoW

82. Armor and weapons look more real than the WoW gear

83. Buyable blues for low levels

84. Get mounts in three different levels, lvl20, 40 and 50. 60%, 100% and 110%

85. Clerics "blink" with random direction and range.

86.The Rift elements will fight among them selfs (fire will attack water...ect) and can take over towns.

87. It's something different after almost 6 Years

88. Players will have to learn the fight as there will be no "deadly boss mods" addons (skill>addons)

89. Soul system can be added to in future expansions

90. Artifact collections > Archaeology and give ANY class epic gear!

91. Cool old stuff mixed up with cool high tech stuff (teleporting machines, high tech technology).

92. Nightblades stealth does not last forever, it lasts 60 seconds and after you leave it its on a 10s CD.

93. You don't need to reroll fotm, only respec in most cases.

94. "Hunters" Can shoot in melee range

95. Sounds muffled underwater adds to realism.

96. Recap: The new Guild banner idea in rift is unreal, and I'm shocked wow devs have not thought about it to bring back world pvp and improve guilds.

97. No "gaps" in professions (name one crafted staff in WoW for example, archaeology doesn't count obviously)

98. The Shattering (pre-Cata event) ... ALL DAY LONG

99. No Garrosh or Varian (hopefully!)

100. NO FROST MAGES or ring of frost

101. Taunts actually doing something (AWESOME) in PVP! As someone who has always played Tank in PVE, being able to do it in PVP makes me SO excited.

102. No Tol-Barad which is completely unbalanced (attacker at huge disadvantage)

103. Able to put what stats you want on gear from the start of your profession.

104. I'll be playing a new game. So we're all newbs!

105. Pve changes that only affect pve servers and pvp changes that affect only pvp servers. BEAT THAT BLIZZARD!

106. Armor dyes - OMG we may not all look identical for a change!

107. Exploration is awarded with artifacts and other hidden goodies

108. You won't get Uber Gear for less than Uber Effort (dev quote)

109. Level requirements have been removed from the previously-level 20 mounts. If you can get to them, and can afford them, you can use them. This includes the Collector's Edition turtle mount.

110 (?). It's only just beginning so can only really improve if devs continue to listen to players. (I hope)

111. something- Level 1 gold spammers? Easy to ignore since no1 really talks in capital city chat

112. Related to 111. - lvl 1-9 chat can be turned off, basically the chat is broken down so that you can view only the character level you wish to view. Basically you can turn off low level Gold spammers and "Barrens" chat.

113. Looting while mounted.

114. Every zone has a Ward boss you can summon if you can control all the wardstones.

115. No retarded trolls that think their inept comments are rofltastico status.

116. The game is totally engaging right out of the gates, there is always something to do, its fun, lively and all around just a blast to be playing!

117. All Endgame raids will be 20 man, no "easymode 10m" versions.

118. Specific 10m content

119. Loot is dynamically awarded based on your contribution to the group

120. Same Gear stats are used for both Caster clerics and Melee clerics o_O !! Spell stats are converted to Melee stats via the soul tree.  Spell crit = melee crit , spellpower = attack power, etc....

Theres so much more to add to this list... Nice post and spot on...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by infofront

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

I would like to turn the tide and ask people that play WoW:

What does WoW do better then Rift?

Absolutely everything. I know that sounds like a copout, but I honestly can't think of a single aspect of Rift that met or exceeded WoW, except maybe graphics, on a high end rig. All aspects of PvP, Questing, the UI, class skills (sheer number, variety, usability, fun factor), overall polish, and  the sheer amount of content (not to mention WoW's content being vastly superior overall).

I dont even like WoW and I agree with this.

i really like wow but i really dont aggree with this in any way shape or form.

• drkoracledrkoracle Member UncommonPosts: 120

Moved here because it got locked in general, thx for that :P

Char Creation:

Better than WoW, you can make a pretty unique looking toon.

Interface:

Can be configured to your liking, currently no Add-on support, or skinning support but it works really well and is really very customizable. Only thing I missed was a dps meter but there is a DPS/Healing Parser available, may turn out to be a blessing to be able to see the stats AFTER the fight ^^ Add on Support will be added but the devs want to make a decent API.

Races:

6 Total 3 per Faction, no Race/Class restrictions, some races have some very cool racials, like the High Elves who can spawn little angel wings and fly-charge to a location you click. Races are not as easily recognizable as WoW's

Classes/Calling:

4, yes 4. Before you go OMG fail remeber that each calling will have 10 souls.

Warrior, Cleric. Rogue, Mage

Char Customization and Spec / Souls

Souls in Rift are... awsome, you can damn near tailor make a char. I was playing a mage and ended up healing a instance with 2 direct heals, a AOE heal and abilities that convert dmg-healing. Some fit better together than others and when raiding starts im sure there will be some cookie cuting but it is very novel and I love it. Downside is that because of the amount of combinations a lot of Noobs are going to make you pull your hair out when you see their spec :P

WoW has duel Spec, Rift has 4 Specs you can save and easily switch too called "roles"

Graphics:

Not as optimized as WoW, but a lot of times I stopped questing just to look around, very nicely done.

Combat:

Better than WAR/AOC not as flowing as WoW's yet.

Dungeons:

5 Player standard setup 1T 1H 3Dps, dungeons are BIG, and have some very cool mechanics.

Edit (Added)  A extra support class will be very valuable in 5 mans.

PVP:

• Warfronts = Battlegrounds

• You get a boost if your low level to make you competitive

• You gain XP, get Items and gold from PVPIng

• Not sure if there is Arena yet

• There are PVP items and Specs

• Resilience is basicly just renamed to Valor

• There is open PVP and when you add Rifts into the mix it can get pretty crazy

Crafting:

• Enchanting is Runecrafting

• You can Skin/Herb/Mine etc

• You can customize items a bit by adding stats too it

• Potions, Armour, Weapons all there

• You can destroy your items to get some mats back (Thank the Lord)

• You can have 3 Prof and everyone can collect artifacts

• There is a AH, Bank etc.

Endgame:

There is 5,10 and 20 player content, Tier Raids are 20 man only atm.

I am not sure of the exact count but there is a large amount of endgame content good to go.

Rifts:

From tiny little rifts too full on invasions they keep you on your toes, and are a ton of fun. Will they still be fun in 4 months ? Dont know. But if they continue to grow in complexity as they have then they very well could be, compared to WAR public quests a lot but much better.

Edit (Added)  Achievements:

For all the Achievement whores there are lots achievements, including some for messing up in dungeons :)

Edit (Added)  Artifacts:

If you play EQ2 this will be very familiar, you collect them from mobs, pick them up off the ground, and get them from Rifts. Once you complete a set you hand them in and get a bag with some random pots, coin etc. and a Lucky Coin.

Lucky Coins can be exchanged at a merchant for some cool fluff items like pets.

Personal:

Rift is like WoW and it is not, hard to explain, but it is refreshing, and it is diffrent no matter how many WoW-Clone jabs its going to eat. WoW has a good interface, shocking I know so to copy it is no diffrent than a FPS using 1,2,3,4 etc to choose a weapon, it aint broke so why fix it ?

Am I going to quit WoW, leave my Guild Leaderless and forget about my 85 Lock that is 1 Wand away from Full Epic ?

No, but I am playing Rift for Sure, 3 Nights Raiding in WoW, 3 in Rift and 1 Day to couch potato playing Xbox and watching crap I downloaded. Yes I am a nerd, no I'm not ashamed and no I am not unemployed, I do have a job and work 42 hours+ a week.

Sorry for the WOT and the endless spelling mistakes, act I take that back, I will spell any way I want, deal with it :P

[mod edit]

It is a pointless comment. Similarly pointless is to claim that the game will succeed. Success and failure for some people is a state of mind, not a state of being. For example, some people think WoW is a failure and Darkfall a success, others think the exact opposite. Who's right?

Both are. Depending on definition of failure and success.

• smallfoxxsmallfoxx Member Posts: 10

LOL... so true!  I needed a good laugh.  I love all the class options.

Thanks,

-SMFX

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

How crazy is it  to see some complain Rift is like WoW but yet Blizzard copied everyone else's work. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by thecipher

Flavor is a major distinguishing feature for me.

In World of Warcraft, you have tons and tons of pop-culture references and such, to the point where it's possibly funny, but completely immersion breaking. The lore/story in WoW might be interesting, but pretty much since TBC came out, I've had an increasingly hard time getting into it, because I keep getting yanked out of my immersion - by the game itself. Also in terms of flavor, the setting of WoW has moved a bit beyond just "Fantasy" with the inclusion of machines and such. Motorbikes, rocket-"bikes" and all sorts of wonder machines aren't really all that fantasy-ish. I wouldn't call it steampunk either, but more like a later version of fantasy.

In Rift, you still have pop-culture reference, but they're more well-hidden, and they seem to mesh into the world and lore a bit better as well. The lore is fresh and I really like the "no obvious good/bad guy split" approach they've taken to their factions. They're divided more by ideology than race and each side believes they are right in what they do. Speaking regarding the setting, Rift has machines as well - the Defiant faction's defining feature are machines. But these feel more like proper fantasy type machines. Powered by arcane energies and souls (rather than oil and gasoline like in WoW), the Defiant machines seem like what would happen if magicians turned magic into a science, rather than a mystical art.

After so many years of WoW, I think it's refreshing to see a game like WoW that actually works to establish a good setting, and stick to it, rather than breaking my immersion in the story at every possible turn.

i can say WoW's lore is pretty epic and immersive from vanilla to cataclysm, i like the game and i like the lore even more than the game it self.... with rift, since the game is new, the lore is fresh as u said.... but i dont feel the lore is pulling me into it tho i also like rift as a game(not yet)... 

also u say that Defiant machines seem like what would happen if magicians turned magic into science rather than a mystical art... in that case it would not be magic anymore but science...in a fantasy environment is always better to have magic as a mystical art.... i know with defiant this might not be the case but i see the defiants as people who rely on science to create new sources of magic to defeat regulos (which is also good)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by SaintViktor

How crazy is it  to see some complain Rift is like WoW but yet Blizzard copied everyone else's work. 

everyone knows that... but after WoW borrowed someone elses work and made it even better and bigger success than the owner original work...  ppl just cant stop flaming every game that tries to do the same.... they are zombified by WoWs success and think nobody else can eat the whole pie

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

The thing is, when you're second between a set of two, the second needs to prove its superiority or provide benefits for switching. RIFT doesn't do that.

Wow & RIFT's camera system is the same~ but WoW's functions better. I never have had WoW's camera system suddenly 180 on me inexplicably. There's some glitches to be ironed out there.

Worse graphics or not, WoW's mounts move more fluidly.

RIFT does swimming better.

Wow's transportation system is better. Portals are too rare. I don't mean free world flight because that would take away from the dazzle of a new game but a more complete taxi system in rift would be nice.

Dazed works better than exposed.. I was glad to see Exposed was different from Dazed when I first got hit with it but you move to accomodate a new mob that aggro'd you or that you deliberately pulled, the server registers a mob as behind you and suddenly you're Exposed.

You can.. shield block dot damage in RIFT. I'm ok with SB'ing melee attacks, ranged attacks, magic attacks but magic and physical dot damage... really it's ridiculous. "Oh you took damage? 50/50 it will dismount you.. but don't worry you can block it, because that makes sense. You blocked an infection. Ever hear of knights dying to the black plague? They totally blocked it bro."

Edit: I don't logically expect them to copy wow's hit table behavior and I'm glad they haven't. It's weird to me to block a magic attack but I can get used to that. There's no way blocking dot damage makes any sense. It just doesn't. Armor or Resist mitigating physical and magical dots makes "sense" because this is your fortitude or constitution against an element.

Everything agros you in RIFT. Everything can dismount you. This would be fine if roads were reliably safe but they aren't. You either run through and have to kill a little mob and remount or you try to run around a camp.

On dismounting... a small amount of falling damage, coming over a small ledge can dismount you. Regardless of what tooltips say about damage types, the devs don't do anything to distinguish damage.

Lastly, as an edit: Buffs meant to be kept up 100% of the time need their durations to overlap their cd's by a small amount. Reaver's Soul Sickness for instance.

Macros... apparently you can now only use one cast in a macro regardless of GCD status because people were doing wait macros.. like /cast ..., /wait 2 /cast .... So much of the value of macros is wasted if I can't stack an off GCD ability with an on GCD ability.

I tried Paladin first.. though they're different, I loved paladin in FFXI and WoW--the knight with small but useful emergency heals (Word of Glory defies that though...). I didn't like it but I did end up enjoying Reaver/Paladin/Beastmaster (I wasn't using the third tree so went for the auto attacking pet). One of the first things I noticed is that I never saw reaver dot damage scale. It did the same amount level to level, gear to gear, unless that level got a new rank of the spell. This presents problems at 50. On the 15th, I'll login and get someone to tank something while I attack it naked to confirm a possible lack of dot scaling.

They caved to balance cries on racials faster than anything. There's a suggestion on the official forums that you choose your race and choose your racial, or as they choose to rename it in that thread "Blood trait" so that your character can look like whatever you want but have any racial of your faction. That's a fine idea as well. I love distinguishing racials. I love that X racial gives you a 1% advantage in a role because that's the role you had in mind when you rolled. You also lose the potential advantage of other racials. A pre-nerf Eth would always be a great tank having that awesome shield but they'd lose a little bit on the 100% crit racial of the other race..

Take Wrath-WoW-Horde's tanking racials. They were imbalanced because blood elves couldn't be warriors and tauren couldn't be paladin. Thus players couldn't really be what they wanted to be. These issues are addressed in Cata though Alliance gets the better end of the stick on tanking racials having both NE's 2% miss, the only way to raise your miss now that defense is gone and Stoneform, which is now 10% DR.. stacking nice with other CD's...

I don't understand complaining about racials when any race can be any calling. It's like you asking me if I wanted an apple, tomato, or banana and then complaining that even though I chose tomato, apples sound like they'd taste better and theorycrafters have proven bananas are sweeter.

Just a few things WoW has done better.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

If the masses REALLY want something different than WOW, I suggest you all start playing EVE. Nothing could be further apart than those two.

Yeah, thought so . . .

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Y'all are gonna hate to hear this.  But I've seen Rifts before, in SWG.  My claim is that the SWG combat terminal missions were the predecessors or original technology that evolved into todays Rifts.  SWG Pre-NGE had missions that would dynamically generate a flashpoint / rift.  These woudl take the form of a small animal lair, up to a Large Imperial Outpost.  These missions would dynamically spawn terrain altering structures.  For example a high level faction faction mission would generate  a High Walled compound with one or more watch towers.  SWG also had non mission dynamic spawns where a Imperial transport would land and unload  a squad of Storm-troopers.

I am NOT saying that SWG had something visually identical to a Rift event or even as challenging as a Rift.  Maybe Phase IV of the village was as challenging as a Rift.  I claim that they are technically similar or at least that SWG employed a predecessor to what would become a Rift.  Terrain altering, dynamic location spawning of varrying size and structre complexity.  Again I am not saying that code was copied or reversed engineered.  All I'm saying is that the wheel HAD been discovered.  This implementation works and serves a purpose.  Rifts are an improvement over what was done before, they just aren't NEW or innovative.

If this point has been brought up before I apologies.  This post is not ment to tear down Rift.  I realize I maybe comparing a wooden wagon wheel to a steal belted radial tire in some of your eyes, but the first wheel is the first.  Rifts may be a better mouse trap, they are just not the first.  I am bring this up because most of you probably never played or saw SWG Pre-NGE.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It has more races and, most importantly, more starting zones. I like to start new characters quite often, because I like to see them develope and shape up, and how they tackle the content with different abilities. WoW started with 6 starting zones and is now up to... uhm... 12? And Rift got a whooping of 2 starting zones. When I started a new character in WoW, at a new starting zone, there was far more to explore. Basically, until later in the game, three times as much to explore as in Rift. You got new zones, items, quests, and only later the characters went back again on roughly the same track. That's also one of the reasons what bored me about AoC: it had only one starting zone. WAR however had... 6 or so as well, like WoW, and I enjoyed that a lot.

Next: the sound. The music in WoW is superb, and in some places you just have to stop and admire it. The music in Rift was ok, but not quite as good. Same with the sound effects. If I cast a chain lightning in WoW, it sounds like a lightning. If I cast a lightning in Rift, and I see a lightning bolt come down from the sky and hit the target, I hear a "fffzzzzzz....." noise. That's so annoying.

Also, the old feeling of beeing different than the others. Of course it's an illusion, since there will be, in successful games, always a huge number of players with a character just like yours. Still: in WoW, when you met a random person, there was a roughly 8 to 9 chance that they belonged to a different class. If you performe well, and they wanted to do the same as you, they'd be forced to create a new character with your class and level that up again, because you were different. In Rift, the chance of that happening is not 8 to 9, but 3 to 4. Or in other words: the chance of encountering a copycat of yourself in Rift is like two to three times as high as in WoW. Sure, you can have different Souls in Rift (as you have different specs in WoW), but since you can change them instantly, players with the same class can become a copy of you whenever they want to.

Also, as said I like to create new characters and see how they tackle the content. That meant I had 9 reasons to go through the game again, in WoW, because they were 9 classes upon start. In Rift, that's 4 classes, not even half as much reason to go through the game again.

I don't think that WoW is superior in everything, obviously, hell I'm not even subbed to WoW anymore. And the Rift beta was fun. But I think that saying "Rift is like WoW, but better in every aspect" is a huge exaggeration. WoW is superior in many important points, so players can become perfectly happy with either.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

imnot much into these kind of programs but i can tell what they have in common.

most important factor in these programs is your character stats,more stamina means more hit points,more strength means more melee dmg,more intelligence mean more mana etc....many many role playing games has similar systems,,but in these it is the most important factor,the whole program runs with these skills,if you dont have these skills high enough you cant do anything in these programs.

now what we have in hands,is a skill based program,it controls every move in these programs.

but the funny thing is:you dont control these things,computer does,computer finds unknown teams for you computer plays your character for you etc...what there is left for player is button smashing,but i can do that with notepad and its free.

Generation P

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Well, all of these games compete in their suckage.

Still Warcraft is the better made game on all levels. RIFT's a hack clone with a small world and some shallow gimmicks. That's been done before. Excet AoC worked on a huge world and tried some interesting world design. RIFT does not. It's flat, it's liner, and way too static. Even in the RIFTs. If they could create craters in the ground that took literally days or even months to heal no matter where they were; yeah. That's not the case. An area turns color, you kill some stuff, token grind for the same rewards everyone else is token grinding for.

The pvp was disappointing and was too slow to offer any merit to.

The comparison ends at these games in quality. Trion's got a sheep's skin on and it'll come off right after launch when all the 'ooh shiny' crowd are still too dazed to ask for a refund.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Wow & RIFT's camera system is the same~ but WoW's functions better. I never have had WoW's camera system suddenly 180 on me inexplicably. There's some glitches to be ironed out there.

Worse graphics or not, WoW's mounts move more fluidly.

I first posted about the 180 camera glitch three beta events ago, and have yet to see a change.  I understand this is a lag issue and may be caused by testing code they have in place.  It may go away with release, but as is it's a deal breaker.  I have to make 2 or 3 adjustments when ever I approach a target mob or npc.  I asked in game chat, but never met anyone with the same problem.  Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one.

I have allways said that WoW's in game animation is on the same level as most cgi cutscenes.  I don't mean the model polygon density of texture resolution.  I'm only talking about the level of motion capture used in the in game animation.  It is very smooth and life like.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Yeah but WoW notched it up a notch, making about everything better than the games it took the features from. Rift took the features from other games, and made some of them even worse.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

Still Warcraft is the better made game on all levels. RIFT's a hack clone with a small world and some shallow gimmicks. That's been done before. Excet AoC worked on a huge world and tried some interesting world design. RIFT does not. It's flat, it's liner, and way too static. Even in the RIFTs. If they could create craters in the ground that took literally days or even months to heal no matter where they were; yeah. That's not the case. An area turns color, you kill some stuff, token grind for the same rewards everyone else is token grinding for.

The comparison ends at these games in quality. Trion's got a sheep's skin on and it'll come off right after launch when all the 'ooh shiny' crowd are still too dazed to ask for a refund.

The King is harsh but is the King ever wrong?

We'll have to wait a couple of months to see :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

The King is harsh but is the King ever wrong?

We'll have to wait a couple of months to see :)

:)

Agreed.

I don't agree on his majesty's assertion of AoC's world though. I mainly thought of that one to be a nice collection of eye-candy backdrops, with very seperated and channeled zones. Almost felt as artificial to me as WAR's world did. Didn't experience Rift's world myself though, but I've been hearing that it is pretty cramped by a lot of people.