Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battleground Europe - goes free to play

spizzspizz BlackForrestMember Posts: 1,971 Uncommon

I did read that the ww2 mmofps Battleground Europe is going to have free to play content and are in a testing phase so its already possible to enjoy certain content for free unofficially. Gameplay is without item shops.

Once the 14-day trial runs out you have the option to continue playing for free for army ground troops.

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?p=5500862

 

Link for game Trial with extended free content: (no credit card needed)

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/64-about-wwiiol1/6916-signupstaging

Comments

  • spizzspizz BlackForrestMember Posts: 1,971 Uncommon

     I did found the official list for the free to play content and did find out how it works actually. After the official Trial did end you get a survey per mail about the game, they ask some question how you like this or that bla bla, and after you fill it out you can get access to the free to play content.

     

     * Army Persona (British, French & German)

        * Unit restrictions

              o Rifleman

              o SMG

              o Paratroop Rifleman

              o Paratroop SMG

        * No use of 'Player Placed Objects" 

        * Rank may be gained to a maximum of rank level 2 for all available personas

        * Multicrew in any available unit position (Army persona only)

        * No capture capability

        * No access to scoring stats at 'Combat Stats & Records'

        * Restricted access to discussion forums

              o COMMUNITY SUPPORT (WINDOWS)

              o COMMUNITY SUPPORT (MACINTOSH))

              o Q&A

              o TESTING AND BUG REPORTING

              o TRAINING FORUM

              o REALISM EVENT FORUM

        * Restricted Squad Rank- Recruit

     

    So you can also multicrew vehicles, tanks and so on with the f2p content...

  • Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

    Originally posted by spizz

     I did found the official list for the free to play content and did find out how it works actually. After the official Trial did end you get a survey per mail about the game, they ask some question how you like this or that bla bla, and after you fill it out you can get access to the free to play content.
     
     * Army Persona (British, French & German)

        * Unit restrictions

              o Rifleman

              o SMG

              o Paratroop Rifleman

              o Paratroop SMG

        * No use of 'Player Placed Objects" 

        * Rank may be gained to a maximum of rank level 2 for all available personas

        * Multicrew in any available unit position (Army persona only)

        * No capture capability

        * No access to scoring stats at 'Combat Stats & Records'

        * Restricted access to discussion forums

              o COMMUNITY SUPPORT (WINDOWS)

              o COMMUNITY SUPPORT (MACINTOSH))

              o Q&A

              o TESTING AND BUG REPORTING

              o TRAINING FORUM

              o REALISM EVENT FORUM

        * Restricted Squad Rank- Recruit

     
    So you can also multicrew vehicles, tanks and so on with the f2p content...

    Oh my god, they won't let you capture.  Big Big Mistake.  Now the ATG/AA gunners are going to complain there are EI all over the place hunting them down (not capturing the flag).

    Big mistake.  *runs off to wwiionline forums to tell them why*

  • Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

    Well it works.  I just made a free trial with a bogus name/address and new email address, no credit card.

    I've payed for this game for at least 50 months, I deserve to be little cheap now and then.

    And as usual CRS buries this information on their website and doesn't advertise, or maybe they're waiting for the infantry graphical/animation upgrade patch before advertising; I was hoping it would be finished by now.

  • DismantledDismantled Chicago, ILMember Posts: 121 Uncommon

     Well this should make things interesting again.

  • spizzspizz BlackForrestMember Posts: 1,971 Uncommon

    I wonder if these restrictions are final or if something will change since someone said its in a testing phase. Wonder also why it doesnt get promoted on their mainpage but is so hidden. Maybe it is this grpahic patch you are talking about, it could explain it.

    Not even the active players in the Forum section on this webpage write about....didnt find a thread about it at least.

    Anyway, this f2p concept is really growing, isnt warhammer going f2p aswell or is already ?..at least this one here has no ingame shop.

     

  • KvjavsKvjavs Winthrop Harbor, ILMember Posts: 16

    Nice to find out they're having limited gameplay free to play.

    I enjoyed this game but cannot justify spending $18 a month on it, not to mention their payment model now is confusing as heck.

    At least I won't have to waste $18 to find out if the game is the same it was a year ago.

  • TontomanTontoman Toronto, ONMember Posts: 196

    Not a bad idea, might be a little late though.  Might be a bit funny on the multicrew though, I'm not sure how many tankers are going to want a F2P guy in their tank.  I know how well that works in other games, you get your perfect ambush spot and a newb gets impatient after 10 seconds of no action and takes the driver spot and drives off :P

    I'd have rather they had AAA and ATG F2P and not tanks.  I'd have gone for that, and those are the ones who could use the help anyway.  Maybe then with lots of F2P people and ATGs (and no tanks) when the armor EWS goes off it's not only tanks that spawn to go off and meet the enemy head on, but get some ATGs spawning.   Last I saw ATGs only came out once the tanks were all used up.  Also the inf game is the weakest part for me.  The lag, the warpiness, the kill delay, cap system,  just over time ground me down, played Red Orchstra for my WWII inf fix.

  • SupergrassSupergrass Ascalon, FLMember Posts: 110

     






    Originally posted by Tontoman

    Not a bad idea, might be a little late though.  Might be a bit funny on the multicrew though, I'm not sure how many tankers are going to want a F2P guy in their tank.  I know how well that works in other games, you get your perfect ambush spot and a newb gets impatient after 10 seconds of no action and takes the driver spot and drives off :P

    It's not a bad idea, indeed. I just hope when (if) it becomes official they actually advertise it and give it a chance. There's a lot of people who would love to start playing (i.e. paying) again but don't due to the really low population. And when I say advertise I don't mean just on their website. image

     






    Originally posted by Tontoman

    I'd have rather they had AAA and ATG F2P and not tanks.  I'd have gone for that, and those are the ones who could use the help anyway.  Maybe then with lots of F2P people and ATGs (and no tanks) when the armor EWS goes off it's not only tanks that spawn to go off and meet the enemy head on, but get some ATGs spawning.   Last I saw ATGs only came out once the tanks were all used up.

    I agree. The tanks they would be able to use would be almost completely useless in the later tiers. I really don't see why anyone would go in them except for EI slaughtering and scouting. I think ATG would be a much better choice. Plus it could potentially cause problem when there's a newbie tank commander driving off to a friendly ambusher.. only to leave his engine on and get chewed out! Haha.

    And AAA I think would increase the bomber population. Because let's face it, AAA is a lot of fun when there's stuff to shoot at. More AA = more bombers! image

     

    .. but I do think they can use both AAA/ATG as long as it's up to rank 2.

     






    Originally posted by Tontoman

    Also the inf game is the weakest part for me.  The lag, the warpiness, the kill delay, cap system,  just over time ground me down, played Red Orchstra for my WWII inf fix.

    True, but I think there's plenty (a lot) of people who wouldn't mind playing just infantry.. Despite it's flaws, you gotta admit that it's a lot of fun when you're under a lot of enemy action. Pot shots at EI with the riflemen (when they're running across large open fields) is a so great.

    Currently Playing:

    Nothing.

  • TontomanTontoman Toronto, ONMember Posts: 196

    Originally posted by Supergrass

    ... 




    Originally posted by Tontoman

    I'd have rather they had AAA and ATG F2P and not tanks.  I'd have gone for that, and those are the ones who could use the help anyway.  Maybe then with lots of F2P people and ATGs (and no tanks) when the armor EWS goes off it's not only tanks that spawn to go off and meet the enemy head on, but get some ATGs spawning.   Last I saw ATGs only came out once the tanks were all used up.


    I agree. The tanks they would be able to use would be almost completely useless in the later tiers. I really don't see why anyone would go in them except for EI slaughtering and scouting. I think ATG would be a much better choice. Plus it could potentially cause problem when there's a newbie tank commander driving off to a friendly ambusher.. only to leave his engine on and get chewed out! Haha.

    And AAA I think would increase the bomber population. Because let's face it, AAA is a lot of fun when there's stuff to shoot at. More AA = more bombers! image

     .. but I do think they can use both AAA/ATG as long as it's up to rank 2.

    Some 






    Originally posted by Tontoman

    Also the inf game is the weakest part for me.  The lag, the warpiness, the kill delay, cap system,  just over time ground me down, played Red Orchstra for my WWII inf fix.


    True, but I think there's plenty (a lot) of people who wouldn't mind playing just infantry.. Despite it's flaws, you gotta admit that it's a lot of fun when you're under a lot of enemy action. Pot shots at EI with the riflemen (when they're running across large open fields) is a so great.

     I must admit, some of the best times I've had are with the speedly little tanks or ACs.  In the huge cities I've run the vickers up and down the wide roads while in gunner postion (that's why you need the wide roads ;) ).  As everyone thinks you're driving you get to mow them down while they try and cross.  I've had 10 min runs doing that heh.  NIce to have something you don't mind losing that much.

    Oh I'm sure lots will like the free inf, that was just my personal feelings.  I find they are the best on the big cities divided by rivers, that always makes for an hotly contested choke.  Unfortunately those are far fewer than the regular cities.   I'm really not sure how it's going to work out with the capping system though. 3-4 cappers vs 20 freebies... I can see some fustration cropping up. Well wish them luck anyway.

  • rendusrendus smyrna, TNMember Posts: 327

    I created a new sub last weekend just to take advantage of the freeplay.  They had better tweek their predictor code before advertising the freeplay heavily.  Otherwise folks will be leaving just as fast as they join.

  • TontomanTontoman Toronto, ONMember Posts: 196

    Yeah but there's only so much you can do with that due to the way they are setup.   As you know even standing still you get the one second kill lag.   It's fair the way it's setup, but withtodays FPSer don't know how many of the more instant action and casual gameplayers the rats are aiming for will except it.  Why inf gameplay isn't my favorite, especially once all the AO's, MSPs etc. concentrated it into a tighter core around the city.

    I'm curious how they are going to avoid a ton of spy/griefer accounts....

  • rendusrendus smyrna, TNMember Posts: 327

    Wow, I can see why they're using FTP.  Right now, USA primetime,  there is one battle going on for Carignan.  The rest of the front is empty.  I'll admit things were hopping during the intermission (when you had unlimited spawn lists) but right now it's pretty dead.  Maybe they should move the year up to '44 (so people can use the equipment they like) and call it good.

  • TontomanTontoman Toronto, ONMember Posts: 196

    It's been dropping pretty constantly.  I used to always try the free 'welcome back' weeks, but the pops got so low that if the one battle going on wasn't much good (ie. endpoint camping phase) there was nothing else to do.  One of the drawback of AOs and only being able to do stuff on declared cities.  I didn't bother with the last one or two freebies.  Keeping a watch now though to see how the number might be.

  • DoxshundDoxshund burbank, CAMember Posts: 14

    They are doing it wrong.

    F2P is supposed to be an ala cart form of payment

    you pay for the features/play that you want.

    They can should give a little more with the current free form...like atg's and more infanty access options

    but offer campaign upgrades for extra money.

    Each campaign you can pay an extra $5 to get access to tanks 1 & 2, $5 more for rest of tank tiers

    Same goes for Air.   $5 for tier 1 and 2, $5 for rest

    and $5 for access to all infantry atg/aa tiers

    This way people pay just for thier style of play, heck if they decide to get everything they would have paid $25

    and would start over each campaign.

    That's a f2p model

    they are offering too little for a f2p model right now.

    -Doxshund

  • WardropWardrop Plymouth, MIMember Posts: 462

    Originally posted by Doxshund

    They are doing it wrong.
    F2P is supposed to be an ala cart form of payment
    you pay for the features/play that you want.
    They can should give a little more with the current free form...like atg's and more infanty access options
    but offer campaign upgrades for extra money.
    Each campaign you can pay an extra $5 to get access to tanks 1 & 2, $5 more for rest of tank tiers
    Same goes for Air.   $5 for tier 1 and 2, $5 for rest
    and $5 for access to all infantry atg/aa tiers
    This way people pay just for thier style of play, heck if they decide to get everything they would have paid $25
    and would start over each campaign.
    That's a f2p model
    they are offering too little for a f2p model right now.

    Yea over here in the states... its a death sentence for a game, cause we dont do ftp cash shops. they come here then vanish from the radar. we are a subscription based market. The games like DDO and LOTRO do well cause you can play the whole game for free by just playing it and get all the content thats in the cash shop, by themselves. If they want to get  full blown packages chalked full of content, its a one time fee like buying an expansion pack, not paying for it only to have it go away after a period of time. And the price of these packs is well within the budget of the normal gamer is this day and age with the economy the way it is.. or as i stated you can play the game as intended and get these packs through play as entended. Choice is yours.

     

     

    This games already in the grave, has been for sometime hence they charge $2.00 more a month then the premium games on the market.. its frowned upon, and the game gets passed over.

     

    Ive tried to get clan mates to play but when they get the sub cost, they pass it over with the comment " Aint paying that much for a mmo, especially one as old as this." Then we load up call of duty or battlefield badcompany 2 and go out together and have a good time.

  • SartoriussSartoriuss TallinnMember Posts: 29

    Imo, not bad move at all, but in wrong condition.

    Turn with 18 bucks was already one big nonsense.



    As i see it. Market is already full of different shooters, in different environment, even on other planets etc (some is f2p, though that isn't main point).

    Now, in this situation, what is THAT, what can to make  infantry game of BE different from other shooters and what is very rarely used in other FPS (some exceptions)?

    Such as recruiting friends from other games in BE -

     Is there great graphics? Comparing with latest shooters, not very..

    Maybe infantry have really tactical gameplay, with plans, dravings etc? ..No, maybe only HC, but not soldiers.

    Then maybe is there very large scale battles over whole front? Umm...Long time ago, maybe was.



     Now again, what about THAT then i talk, and what was this "some exceptions" which give something similar?



    One exceptions was old Americas Army. Most of you remember that after killing, player was supposed wait  end of round.

    And, what it meant? It meant that the player felt FEAR.

       The FEAR is, what Battleground Europe can deliver for free-to-play-infantry players from many other first person shooters. And no one FPS can something similar. Even not AA, because in WWIIOL  are no rounds.

      Then after killing, f2p-player need to revive somewhere in rear, and therefrom to move on some AI-transports on front .                

    And, they will have huge adrenaline portion and feeling of fear, what they can't to gain from many other games. It is almost true fishing hook for long time..

    Problem in that in WWIIOL  is no Ai-transport system, but If they really wish rescue a game , they will find desire.

    Because question is in priorities..imho.

    ..............................................

    I have add something yet..

    In my opinion is wrong also to make f2p paratroopers ..Also to force f2p-infantry in squads. Their "squads" must be temporare battalions, that is formed in rear, where they revive and together move on ai-transports again to front.

  • SupergrassSupergrass Ascalon, FLMember Posts: 110

    I don't mean to come off as a tin-foil nut here, but I honestly feel this game is never going to pick up in players with those interested in subscribing. I think they should really consider this F2P thing seriously.

     

    Consider allowing F2P members to stay active in squads (without the "12 days" limitations), allow them to capture towns and possibly even have more personas to choose from.

     

    If anyone is familiar with Reddit, a couple people are trying to go around and start a Reddit squad, but I honestly don't see it picking off the ground because those who are interested don't want to pay the subscription fee.. but they are willing to play for free™. The thing about that, though, is that they are severely limited to the point that there's absolutely no point in playing.

     

    Or am I delusional? Are they content with the current population? It would be nice to hear the rats take on this situation.

    Currently Playing:

    Nothing.

  • Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

    HC is still full of incompetants.  No-tactics underachievers.

     

    The HC blames the playerbase, says it's "herding cats", says they can't order other players around; but that's not the reason there is zero organization.  The reason players don't listen to the HC is because after the 100th HC planned attack that fails you stop listening to these HC players and go do your own thing.

     

    They have all been using horrible tactics since day one, 2001, and this hasn't changed.

  • Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

    Originally posted by Sartoriuss

    Imo, not bad move at all, but in wrong condition.
    Turn with 18 bucks was already one big nonsense.



    As i see it. Market is already full of different shooters, in different environment, even on other planets etc (some is f2p, though that isn't main point).

    Now, in this situation, what is THAT, what can to make  infantry game of BE different from other shooters and what is very rarely used in other FPS (some exceptions)?

    Such as recruiting friends from other games in BE -

     Is there great graphics? Comparing with latest shooters, not very..

    Maybe infantry have really tactical gameplay, with plans, dravings etc? ..No, maybe only HC, but not soldiers.

    Then maybe is there very large scale battles over whole front? Umm...Long time ago, maybe was.



     Now again, what about THAT then i talk, and what was this "some exceptions" which give something similar?



    One exceptions was old Americas Army. Most of you remember that after killing, player was supposed wait  end of round.

    And, what it meant? It meant that the player felt FEAR.

       The FEAR is, what Battleground Europe can deliver for free-to-play-infantry players from many other first person shooters. And no one FPS can something similar. Even not AA, because in WWIIOL  are no rounds.

      Then after killing, f2p-player need to revive somewhere in rear, and therefrom to move on some AI-transports on front .                

    And, they will have huge adrenaline portion and feeling of fear, what they can't to gain from many other games. It is almost true fishing hook for long time..
    Problem in that in WWIIOL  is no Ai-transport system, but If they really wish rescue a game , they will find desire.
    Because question is in priorities..imho.
    ..............................................
    I have add something yet..
    In my opinion is wrong also to make f2p paratroopers ..Also to force f2p-infantry in squads. Their "squads" must be temporare battalions, that is formed in rear, where they revive and together move on ai-transports again to front.

    Nobody wants that but you.

  • SartoriussSartoriuss TallinnMember Posts: 29

    Originally posted by Nerf09


     

    Nobody wants that but you.

    And who are you to speak for all? Nobody... :)  Logically, it's MY suggestions as subscriber. Capiche?...

  • Nerf09Nerf09 Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 2,953 Common

    The only way I'll re-subscribe is if:

     

    1)  Free Trial includes trucks so I can tow around my 88 or bofors for free.

    and/or

    2)  Player population at least tripples, of mostly free accounts running around with rifle/SMG's  . Try advertisement on your main webpage that you actually have a Free Account thing going on; yes I know it's a revolutionary concept.  I wonder if CRS is aware that they only advertise a 14 day free trial thing going on, which turns people off because it's temporary and usually it requires a credit card, not an indefinate Free Account that requires no credit card.

    and/or

    3)   Capture the Flag is removed, along with it's fixed spawn points, and replaced with something that actually simulates war:  a system based on Logistics which defines what a frontline actually is.

     

    None of these conditions are met so I'll continue to stay unsubbed.

  • TontomanTontoman Toronto, ONMember Posts: 196

    I'd go freeplay if I could do AAA work.  I'd love to do ATG but with the latest cover, friendly tank zerging and the push speed of the heavier ATGs I think I'd stick to AAA.  One of the few things you can multitask with and come back when you hear a plane coming around.

  • SartoriussSartoriuss TallinnMember Posts: 29
    Now, after seeing hype in DayZ, we can make some conclusions. Many people really liked DayZ with its "fear of death" and even some sorta "permadeath". It's very pity, that Rats even don't bothered to try or test some suggestions in this direction. And I don't even need to specify, that these suggestions was made years ago.
    Main problem might be, that devs was from air combat simulator, and even specifically - from just "duels wing" of air combats sims.

    Seems that they always had less interest at ground war, about trying mimic behaviour of infantry on battlefield, about behavior of armor, about ways to encourage them cover eachother etc.

    Imo, squad' discipline can't replace this "feeling of death, of war etc"..
  • Malus-wwiionlineMalus-wwiionline San Antonio, TXMember Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Sartoriuss
    Now, after seeing hype in DayZ, we can make some conclusions. Many people really liked DayZ with its "fear of death" and even some sorta "permadeath". It's very pity, that Rats even don't bothered to try or test some suggestions in this direction. And I don't even need to specify, that these suggestions was made years ago.
    Main problem might be, that devs was from air combat simulator, and even specifically - from just "duels wing" of air combats sims.

    Seems that they always had less interest at ground war, about trying mimic behaviour of infantry on battlefield, about behavior of armor, about ways to encourage them cover eachother etc.

    Imo, squad' discipline can't replace this "feeling of death, of war etc"..

    Here is a suggestion - for each respawn - add a timer.  Each time you die, the timer goes up - say 10 seconds per bump.  The timer would 'unload' at a set rate over time.   If you are in the habit of doing the 'spawn-die-respawn-die-repeat' method -- you will spend a lot of time sitting at the mission screen.  If you want to really impact the battle - you'll learn combat skills (movement, field craft, etc) - and stay alive longer (that takes patience - which I know a lot of shoebox gamers don't have - but could learn).

    I would definitely be afraid to die at that point.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.