Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop making up new words !

I don't like when developers invent silly new words for the same thing.

A /tell became a /whisper in WoW.

A group became a party in WoW.

A guild became a linkshell in FFXI and FFXIV.

server is a shard in Rift, a realm in WoW.

Stop making up new words that mean the exact same thing please, it's just confusing.

Comments

• NospheratooNospheratoo Member Posts: 12

You can as well /tell that in local grocery /store, will be same results

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

umm.... QQ moar?

nah on a real note, why are you complaining about something so small, and rather irrelavent? 

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by bastionix

Stop making up new words that mean the exact same thing please, it's just confusing.

really?

A Shard  in UO became a Server in WoW

A Linkshell in FFXI became a guild in WoW

A group was never really used  in any MMO I played , it was always "you want to party?"

A /tell or /whisper has been used in other games way before WoW

But I know what you're saying, If you you're playing that MMO you should use its terminology, right?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Every developer adds their own flavor to their games and UI, /tell might not have been descriptive enough, /whisper makes more sense.

Guilds fit one lore, but in other games there's been clans, tribes, corporation, warbands and linkshells, the concepts the same, no reason to maintain the same name thorughout though.

A server tends to be one single box, as opposed to a realm or shard which represents an entire game universe, regardless how many hardware elements there are. From a RPing perspective I prefer the more elegant terms.

Variety is the spice of life, and language has already been reduced down too much, I prefer things to be more interesting.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

umm.... QQ moar?

nah on a real note, why are you complaining about something so small, and rather irrelavent? 

It's something small that would help out a lot of new players. I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Don't blame developers for trying to be unique, different, and add their own space in the genre.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

umm.... QQ moar?

It's something small that would help out a lot of new players. I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

Before playing a MMO I usually read the manuals and browse the forums to get an idea of the game. So when I jump in I know whats what, But alot of these things are common sense things.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

Heh. Same here. I told them I wasn't religious ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I just wanted to clear something up ,i know adding new words with no purpose ,is kind oflame,but i know why FFXI called their a Linkshell and not a guild.

The reason is because it is ONLY a tool to link to friends,there is NO real guild activities in FFXI.That in itself is one of the areas FFXI could improve upon for sure,but i just thought i would throw that out.

I am not sure the group /party,sort of sounds like a party=more people and a group is just a small group of people.AKA Alliance=party whilst group=4/5/6 players 2=duo 3=trio

Server/Shard.well a shard is not a server,so it makes sense.

Whisper versus /tell...this one has been misused as far as i know  [means little lol]A Whisper was meant to talk to spectators of a match so as to not disturb the players,example watching a PVP 1 on 1,you can have the crowd chatting it up.In the old days we had a program to watch UT99 matches ,i think was called UTV,tons of chatting going on whilst match was on.

The /tell is a command meant to talk to just ONE person.

LMAO,can you beleive i went and covered them all,i must be bored :P

Well one can only read so many RIFT posts in one week,i think this site has had about 500 in one weeek .

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

The English language is evolving, you can't refudiate that.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by wallet113

really?

A group was never really used  in any MMO I played , it was always "you want to party?"

But I know what you're saying, If you you're playing that MMO you should use its terminology, right?

QFT

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

{Mod Edit}

Not everyone has a hard time learning new terminology. I think its great when a developer changes up the command names for certain function. Call it whatever you want! Ill learn it, use it, and rofl at people who complain about something not worth a complaint. At least its not another doomsday post from someone saying why all MMOs fail and complaining about no developer making the mmo they want to see. Makes me wonder why those guys play MMOs at all sometimes. But anyways >.>

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

The things you listed are self explanatory changes (tell/whisper), were in the wrong order (server becoming a shard), or just wrong (guild/linkshell).

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

umm.... QQ moar?

That's low, it's like being punched below the Linkshell....

A priest, a rabbi, and a Linkshell walks into a bar...

In a archway you have the keystone and the Linkshell...

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by UknownAspect

The English language is evolving, you can't refudiate that.

oh god

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Change is constant.  Deal with it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Kyleran

Guilds fit one lore, but in other games there's been clans, tribes, corporation, warbands and linkshells, the concepts the same, no reason to maintain the same name thorughout though...

My favorite was Player Association. Not even related to the in game world but a word to describe what a guild really is as a gaming term.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• KorPhaeronKorPhaeron Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by wallet113

really?

QFT

X2

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

... man, back 18 years ago I was playing games that used both 'tell' and 'whisper' as commands (Tell being a long distance version of whisper, basically)

MUDs, MUCKs and MUSHes have had all sorts of variant of those commands.  This seems like a particularly weird complaint to me, because using various terminology for private communication predates graphical MMORPGs.

I'm sure it may be even older, from online shared chat programs, I'm not sure.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

LOL

I would definitely not get used to a name like "linkshard" for guilds. Alternative names like "clan" or such would be ok, but "linkshard" ? No way.

Well, /whisper came with a message "X whispers to Y" in my last MMO (Vanguard). While /tell was just silent.

I also played MUDs back in the days, dont remember much of that time though.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Adamantine

LOL

I would definitely not get used to a name like "linkshard" for guilds. Alternative names like "clan" or such would be ok, but "linkshard" ? No way.

Well, /whisper came with a message "X whispers to Y" in my last MMO (Vanguard). While /tell was just silent.

I also played MUDs back in the days, dont remember much of that time though.

First off, it was 'linkshell', and to Japanese people, 'guild' and 'linkshell' sound just as silly. So does 'clan'. :)

Also, best command ever was /mumble.  Worked to send a private message, but the program would selectively blank out words and repeat the message out loud as well, so it could turn a message like 'I think we should enter the enemy castle through the back door for a good ambush.  Don't forget that in the narrow corridors, thrusting weapons work better than hacking ones.' into a message more like 'I think ... enter ... through the back door .... ambush ... don't ... thrusting ... work better ...'

Confusion and bewilderment abound.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by darwa

I remember being very confused about people asking me if I wanted to join their Linkshell.

Heh. Same here. I told them I wasn't religious ;)

OMG that made me roll very funny needed that thanks

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

lol omg wtfbbq ttyl xoxoxo fml

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Axehilt

Change is constant.  Deal with it.

Change driven by idiots who just like to rename things is not the kind of change I support.  When did creativity become such a trivial thing that creating a new synonym qualifiies?

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

the only one i see there that really fits the bill is the guild linkshell.   tell/whisper and goup/party and synonyms.  Shard is an old terms used for DB architecture to seperate them out, each "server" is a shard