Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

My RIFT Re-Assessment

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Boston, MAPosts: 387Member Uncommon

After not liking RIFT initially as a Guardian, today I tried Defiant and went with a more basic class, i.e. Warrior.

Between starting a simple class and choosing a different side made a big difference for me.

I hated the Graveyard starting area for Guardian, but love the starting area for Defiant.

At least for now, I feel that RIFT is a step forward for MMOs in a minor way...let me explain.

Basically, you take EQ, EQ2, WAR and especiially WoW, but remove all the cartoony graphics of WoW as well as the cutesy tootsy crap in WoW, then remove the grind of EQ and EQ2, and add WAR graphics that have been upgraded to 2011 levels.

Thus, you will find much of what is already out there, but avoiding the errors of WAR, and removing the grind of EQ and the baby looking stuff in WoW, and with better animations and combat than all of the above.

In a nutshell, if you want to play an more upgraded version of a combo of the above games and a more adult and seriious version of WoW then you will like RIFT.

I no longer think RIFT is boring now that I have a side/race/class/starting area I enjoy, so hopefully I will eventually find out what RIFT has that the others dont have.

One thing I would like is a RIFT novel, as I am an avid reader and game novels help me retain interest in a game.

«13

Comments

  • TheBlackbeardTheBlackbeard Sacramento, CAPosts: 47Member

    I applaud you for giving the game a second shot and playing through multiple avenues before swearing it off. I know this game isn't for everyone but for the people on the fence, give it a chance like the OP...give the game a try from multiple sides/classes. You may find yourself surprised. 

    OP, while I'm drinking my beer today for the superbowl I'll toast to you for being open minded.

     

    image

    image

  • Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Oakland, CAPosts: 861Member

    Yeah i agree i rolled a cleric at the beggening of this beta and it made the game a complete drag.. Combat was SOOOO boring.. But i've now rolled a warrior and the game is a lot better this time around.. Just wish i would've rolled one at the beggening of beta that way i could've played as a warrior (the fun class) all the way through and get a chance to check out some of the lv 20+ content..

     

    I too agree Defiant's starting area is better.. But i just like the Guardian's storyline a bit better.


    image

    Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

  • djnexusdjnexus Detroit, MIPosts: 677Member

    Originally posted by Solidus55

    I applaud you for giving the game a second shot and playing through multiple avenues before swearing it off. I know this game isn't for everyone but for the people on the fence, give it a chance like the OP...give the game a try from multiple sides/classes. You may find yourself surprised. 

    OP, while I'm drinking my beer today for the superbowl I'll toast to you for being open minded.

     

    image

    I played thru multiple avenues by rolling Guardian and Defiant but still people chewed my head off with my review and thoughts because I dont like the game. And then others were like WELL you didnt play to such and such level you gotta play till higher lvl to get a feel for a game BS BS BS ive seen posts from people who are lvl 30+ that are saying the same things as I was. And also like I said before the quests on both sides are the same just slightly modified. For instance the one quest in the beginning were you have to run up the bridge and take out a guy its the EXACT same quest on the opposite side.

  • Duster505Duster505 OsloPosts: 66Member

    To slow paced for my liking.   Mounts are ugly :S

  • TheBlackbeardTheBlackbeard Sacramento, CAPosts: 47Member

    Originally posted by djnexus

    I played thru multiple avenues by rolling Guardian and Defiant but still people chewed my head off with my review and thoughts because I dont like the game. And then others were like WELL you didnt play to such and such level you gotta play till higher lvl to get a feel for a game BS BS BS ive seen posts from people who are lvl 30+ that are saying the same things as I was. And also like I said before the quests on both sides are the same just slightly modified. For instance the one quest in the beginning were you have to run up the bridge and take out a guy its the EXACT same quest on the opposite side.

    The game isn't for everyone mate...and apparently not you. If you don't like it, thats fine and no one should fault you for it. As long as you don't insult the people who do like it, there shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully you find a game you like. I'll personally be enjoying my time in Telara.

    image

  • TheBlackbeardTheBlackbeard Sacramento, CAPosts: 47Member

    Originally posted by Duster505

      Mounts are ugly :S

    I'll even admit some of them are pretty ugly.

    image

  • comerbcomerb Seattle, WAPosts: 941Member

    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

    At least for now, I feel that RIFT is a step forward for MMOs in a minor way...let me explain.

    Basically, you take EQ, EQ2, WAR and especiially WoW, but remove all the cartoony graphics of WoW as well as the cutesy tootsy crap in WoW, then remove the grind of EQ and EQ2, and add WAR graphics that have been upgraded to 2011 levels.

    Thus, you will find much of what is already out there, but avoiding the errors of WAR, and removing the grind of EQ and the baby looking stuff in WoW, and with better animations and combat than all of the above.

    In a nutshell, if you want to play an more upgraded version of a combo of the above games and a more adult and seriious version of WoW then you will like RIFT.

    If thats what I wanted, I'd play AoC.  Since it basically does every single one of those thing better (graphics, grind, animations, story, adult themes).

    Questing is also more fun & the combat system is significantly better.

    I really don't understand why anyone would play Rift over WoW, AoC, LOTRO, or even Aion.

  • JuaksJuaks Cocoa, FLPosts: 274Member

    Originally posted by comerb

    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

    At least for now, I feel that RIFT is a step forward for MMOs in a minor way...let me explain.

    Basically, you take EQ, EQ2, WAR and especiially WoW, but remove all the cartoony graphics of WoW as well as the cutesy tootsy crap in WoW, then remove the grind of EQ and EQ2, and add WAR graphics that have been upgraded to 2011 levels.

    Thus, you will find much of what is already out there, but avoiding the errors of WAR, and removing the grind of EQ and the baby looking stuff in WoW, and with better animations and combat than all of the above.

    In a nutshell, if you want to play an more upgraded version of a combo of the above games and a more adult and seriious version of WoW then you will like RIFT.

    If thats what I wanted, I'd play AoC.  Since it basically does every single one of those thing better (graphics, grind, animations, story, adult themes).

    Questing is also more fun & the combat system is significantly better.

    I really don't understand why anyone would play Rift over WoW, AoC, LOTRO, or even Aion.

    Well mate I'll explain it for you. Most people have been playing WoW for years and are getting bored, not to mention It has been nerfed to a point is ridiculous.

    Aion and AoC are fail games and everybody knows that. Lotro is a very good game but some people don't like the character models and there is no real PvP.

  • PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Strogg CityPosts: 629Member

    That's a good re-assessment of it.

    I call it "What Warhammer Online was supposed to be."

    My side of the story is when I started the game I was like "Oh no. It's Warhammer Online all over again... image"

    Kept playing trying to see if the game was different. Got to level 3. Still felt like WAR but I noticed there were some settings. Settings that which allow me to turn off auto head face. I also found options allowing me to turn on auto loot as well as an AOE loot function. I started finding out that PvP works the same as wow with circle strafing and using razer naga to own clickers. Warriors build up attack points and use energy. Not rage. The more I played the deeper I got pulled into rift. I'm level 26 now with a guardian mathosian(human) paragon(dual swords warrior with a beastmaster pet).

    I've discovered several small bugs in the game. Of which I have reported each of them with as much high quality formality I could muster in the little bug feedback forms. There are pretty much as many bugs in rift as there was in wow when wow first launched. However, rift is a complete 100% game unlike every mmorpg that launched in the last 6 years. It's a very high quality product and I see a lot of ingratefuls who played the late world of warcraft(after years of tweaking from blizzard) coming into rift expecting it to be 100% as perfect. They didn't know world of warcraft had pet pathing issues or spell animation brokenness when it first launched. Which is all that's wrong with rift by the way. Only a few little bugs here and there. Graphics card compatibility is something that gets hammered out eventually as well.

    I already pre-ordered and I can't wait to level my warrior all over again. Everything is as good as wow's and most of it is improved over wow's. And I do mean everything. Water is better. Characters are better. Trees are better. Grass is better. Bushes & plants are better. Armor is realisticly shinier and better. You can dye your armors for armor customization. Character face customization is better. Character's eyes are better (they literally look like real person's eyes). Mounts are better (the people running around on 2 headed turtles and camels are people who bought the collector's edition or bought from the sanctum (if you're a guardian), you can buy regular horses like I did south of the Quicksilver college and they are beautifully crafted horses). The sky is better. Classes are better.

    But then again I also like world of warcraft. I just won't be playing it anymore. Probably ever. Rift is an amazing game. It will be outstanding when all bugs are smashed out from beta.

  • TyrrhonTyrrhon PrahaPosts: 412Member

    ITT: Rift is unbalanced, warriors are OP and I like to be uber. Look, you can say the same in one sentence.

  • AsboAsbo ManchesterPosts: 796Member Uncommon

    @ OP I would suggest you wait until you get to lvl 35 with your toon and then come back and again update what you have written. I have been in beta since day one and have maxed out 4 toons and when you see the invasion and rifts which do not change at all and the general grind is still there and I got very bored after the initial fun I had for the first 15 levels or so.

    The crafting is very simple like in Wow and very boring and for me I found the whole experience much the same as most of the other games about very average indeed, apart from the rifts there is nothing ground breaking about this game at all. I predict that this game will be very smooth at release and this is the only plus I can see for this game and once many of the gamers have goto mid level or 30ish they will get bored and cancel subs. So it will be intersting to read all the post 6 months down the line once the hyper meter has run its term.

    I cancelled my beta invites with them and told them I no longer wish to waste my time testing their game, they have not changed any thing from what many people have suggested, whether this is because they are happy with what they currenlty have I'm not sure, but imo there are many things they could improve with this title but will not.

    I hope for the people who do invest in this game that they at the very least change the rift system and make it far more random and unpredictable and with the invasions too, this could keep the game fresh longer. The crafting systems is the thing which also concerned me plus the drops from rifts make many of the items worthless and pointless too. You will quickly realise you are carrying junk and I can see that selling items will be a waste of time as the market is flooded with the same things quickly.

    If i was to rate this game on my past gaming experience then I would rate it 4/10 and the only way you will get value for money from this game is if you play every class to max and believe you me that will not happen.

    Good luck to the people who do invest in this game but all is not rosie when you look past the fluff imo... 

    Asbo

  • XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon

    So I'm 35 and I still like the game. So what? It's just my personal opinion over somebody else's. People that hate the game have every right to do so as has the OP to like it.

  • mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member

    Originally posted by comerb

    If thats what I wanted, I'd play AoC.  Since it basically does every single one of those thing better (graphics, grind, animations, story, adult themes).

    Questing is also more fun & the combat system is significantly better.

    I really don't understand why anyone would play Rift over WoW, AoC, LOTRO, or even Aion.

    Thats my feeling also, if you are playing some of those games, when novelty of solus/rifts wears off (very fast) you'll be in the same place - bored - as its same game as the others.

    If you are new player, those games have year(s) of polish/content which makes em much more attractive.

  • AsboAsbo ManchesterPosts: 796Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Xasapis

    So I'm 35 and I still like the game. So what? It's just my personal opinion over somebody else's. People that hate the game have every right to do so as has the OP to like it.

    Easy tiger, people who dislike the game like I do are not haters just making their point like you have, but with out venum in their reply, look at my post above.

    Asbo

  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Of Angels, CAPosts: 770Member

    Originally posted by NightBandit

    @ OP I would suggest you wait until you get to lvl 35 with your toon and then come back and again update what you have written. I have been in beta since day one and have maxed out 4 toons and when you see the invasion and rifts which do not change at all and the general grind is still there and I got very bored after the initial fun I had for the first 15 levels or so.

    The crafting is very simple like in Wow and very boring and for me I found the whole experience much the same as most of the other games about very average indeed, apart from the rifts there is nothing ground breaking about this game at all. I predict that this game will be very smooth at release and this is the only plus I can see for this game and once many of the gamers have goto mid level or 30ish they will get bored and cancel subs. So it will be intersting to read all the post 6 months down the line once the hyper meter has run its term.

    I cancelled my beta invites with them and told them I no longer wish to waste my time testing their game, they have not changed any thing from what many people have suggested, whether this is because they are happy with what they currenlty have I'm not sure, but imo there are many things they could improve with this title but will not.

    I hope for the people who do invest in this game that they at the very least change the rift system and make it far more random and unpredictable and with the invasions too, this could keep the game fresh longer. The crafting systems is the thing which also concerned me plus the drops from rifts make many of the items worthless and pointless too. You will quickly realise you are carrying junk and I can see that selling items will be a waste of time as the market is flooded with the same things quickly.

    If i was to rate this game on my past gaming experience then I would rate it 4/10 and the only way you will get value for money from this game is if you play every class to max and believe you me that will not happen.

    Good luck to the people who do invest in this game but all is not rosie when you look past the fluff imo... 

    Good luck with your current MMO and hope you find something you like in the future...

    "It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Of Angels, CAPosts: 770Member

    Originally posted by mikahr

    Originally posted by comerb



    If thats what I wanted, I'd play AoC.  Since it basically does every single one of those thing better (graphics, grind, animations, story, adult themes).

    Questing is also more fun & the combat system is significantly better.

    I really don't understand why anyone would play Rift over WoW, AoC, LOTRO, or even Aion.

    Thats my feeling also, if you are playing some of those games, when novelty of solus/rifts wears off (very fast) you'll be in the same place - bored - as its same game as the others.

    If you are new player, those games have year(s) of polish/content which makes em much more attractive.

    Try out the Ancient Wardstones and do some PvP...

    "It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

  • XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by NightBandit

    Originally posted by Xasapis

    So I'm 35 and I still like the game. So what? It's just my personal opinion over somebody else's. People that hate the game have every right to do so as has the OP to like it.

    Easy tiger, people who dislike the game like I do are not haters just making their point like you have, but with out venum in their reply, look at my post above.

    In this particular occasion, I don't think that hate has an emotional attachment into it. It's like saying, I hate chocolate. You don't actually hate hate chocolate. I don't know if I make any sense.

    I do understand that certain individuals do get emotionally attached to their MMOs though. It is nice to be passionate about something, although I feel that passion in this occasion is misplaced.

  • AsboAsbo ManchesterPosts: 796Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by BlackUhuru

    Good luck with your current MMO and hope you find something you like in the future...

    Thanks but I'm only testing games and not playing any, becasue there is not one game out there which floats my boat having played MMO's for 12 years or so. You may be suprised to know I am playing Advanced Squad Leader board games with people all over the world, but that's far more fun and needs skill unlike some of the current MMO's floating about.

    That said I am testing WOT atm but again this has many issues which need to be addressed before it finally goes live. I do have EQI active but that's not because I am paying for it, rather $oE have never closed it since I cancelled back in 2004 but if they want to leave it open I'm cool about that.

    Have fun all!  

    Asbo

  • dreldrel san francisco, CAPosts: 918Member

    Seems to be an okay game-but I think I'll wait for Guildwars 2 as I got bored with this game pretty early on.

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by mikahr

    Originally posted by comerb



    If thats what I wanted, I'd play AoC.  Since it basically does every single one of those thing better (graphics, grind, animations, story, adult themes).

    Questing is also more fun & the combat system is significantly better.

    I really don't understand why anyone would play Rift over WoW, AoC, LOTRO, or even Aion.

    Thats my feeling also, if you are playing some of those games, when novelty of solus/rifts wears off (very fast) you'll be in the same place - bored - as its same game as the others.

    If you are new player, those games have year(s) of polish/content which makes em much more attractive.

    No they are not (unfortunately).  As all those games are now top heavy. Making it a horrible experience for new players.

    EverQuest 2 for example is a great game. One of the better themepark MMO's. But for a new player to start out right now on one of the EQ2 live servers is just too daunting.

    It will be a boring solo experience all the way to the top till you catch up with the rest of the playerbase. All those great dungeons, heroic/epic quest lines, you encounter during your leveling, you will have to ignore, as there is not enough peeps around anymore to do them with you.

    With Rift, new players are in for a great experience, as they level up alongside everyone else and will be able to experience the game to it's fullest.

    And that is the difference. Eventho games like WoW and EQ2 have more content and more features today, after all the expacs.... they still suffer from a top heavy playerbase ....and Rift won't (at least not yet for a long while).

  • kitaradkitarad RomePosts: 1,744Member Uncommon

    Yes JK that is what I think too. I think this is the best game now to experience that levelling together doing dungeons and rifts thing. It will have all the excitement of a new game with the bonus of better graphics and without all the inflated market and other horrible side effects of an older game.

    image

  • popinjaypopinjay Northeast, PAPosts: 6,539Member


    Originally posted by NightBandit

    I cancelled my beta invites with them and told them I no longer wish to waste my time testing their game, they have not changed any thing from what many people have suggested, whether this is because they are happy with what they currenlty have I'm not sure, but imo there are many things they could improve with this title but will not.



    I was following this post but stopped about right here and realized I was had.

    The one thing just about every positive post I've read said how responsive Trion was to people's suggestions and demands.

    Then I saw this list of changes by Trion in January that were made based on player feedback.


    I commend you on a well-played and elaborate ruse.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Manhatten, NYPosts: 4,640Member
    I think Trion has done a great job listening to it's players. They've made quite a few changes from beta 1 through 6. I understand that rift isn't for everyone but I think the one thing most people could agree on is Trions amazing ability to just listen to it's customer base.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

  • PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Strogg CityPosts: 629Member

    Originally posted by Tyrrhon

    ITT: Rift is unbalanced, warriors are OP and I like to be uber. Look, you can say the same in one sentence.

    Actually my brother plays a cleric and loves the game more than I do.

  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Manhatten, NYPosts: 4,640Member
    Originally posted by Plasmicredx


    Originally posted by Tyrrhon

    ITT: Rift is unbalanced, warriors are OP and I like to be uber. Look, you can say the same in one sentence.

    Actually my brother plays a cleric and loves the game more than I do.

     

    Because Clerics rock! Seriously playing as a caster cleric last might was so awesome I was laughing like a little school girl. My wife actually came up to me and asked if I rerolled because I was ice blocking and blinking all over the place lol.

    image

    Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.