Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is incredibly mediocre.

Comments

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Celusios

Pretty much hit it dead on. I often think of it as 2011 World of Warcraft meets Aion. 

That sounds incredible! Thanks for the info. Pre-ordering it now!

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

Haven't read this entire thread but what I am taking away from all of this is you have yet another high fantasy MMO that takes no risks, takes the best ideas from Warhammer and Warcraft, but doesn't have either of those games' excellent IP?  Wait, why does anyone want to play this game again?

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Turdinator

Pretty much hit it dead on. I often think of it as 2011 World of Warcraft meets Aion. 

That sounds incredible! Thanks for the info. Pre-ordering it now!

Good work, you dun troll'd me n shiii! How could this happen!?

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by boxfetish

Haven't read this entire thread but what I am taking away from all of this is you have yet another high fantasy MMO that takes no risks, takes the best ideas from Warhammer and Warcraft, but doesn't have either of those games' excellent IP?  Wait, why does anyone want to play this game again?

Because everyone is comfortable with the 'same'. It'll Aion it up, be hot for awhile then slowly but surely die.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

You are aware that the excellent IP of Warcraft was created by Blizzard for use in thier game worlds right? And that Trion is doing the same for Rift. So in reality, Rift is the start of another excellent IP - if it goes as good as most expect. Warhammer's IP was from PnP games, again, an IP created for use in games, just moved from one medium to another medium. Still created for gaming, and built on gaming, just like the start of the Rift IP right now. Every IP has to start someplace.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by heartless

I think that this game suffers from the same problems that WAR did--it has no soul. The game just feels lifeless. It's kind of hard to explain but the game world just doesn't feel "alive" to me.

Interesting description. Could you maybe describe in detail or give specific examples what makes it feel lifeless to you, or no soul?

It's just a feeling I get when I'm playing it, that's why I said that it's hard to explain. I guess if I could put it into words, the game world just feels like a static backdrop for your character to move through as you run from quest hub to quest hub. It may be the art style, the sounds, the NPCs, world animations or a combination of all of those things.

Either way, I don't expect others to share my feeling and I could be completely off base, it's just something that popped into my head when I was playing yesterday.

I share your feelings completely.  I honestly could not exactly pinpoint why I didn't like the game.  It has the basics that I have experienced for years...I just simply could not play this game past the 10 or so hours I put into it in the last beta.  I am happy that people have found a game they will enjoy and am happy for games that do succeed...it will end this monopoly of a market we have currently.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Hmmm...look at the post histories of some of  those that complain the loudest. No surprises. The shrill complaints being voiced on the cusp of a new MMO being released is not uncommon.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Crynswind

Originally posted by supbro

Originally posted by nimbuszero2

I've been playing TERA quite a bit this week. The combat is beyond cool. The mobs don't just run into you and leave you to mash your rotation, they actually react to what you do (to an extent). I can't read Korean so getting deep into it is going to be impossible, but I'm super excited for the NA release now.

Is there a realease date fo NA? i wanna play :(

Q2-Q3 :(

I would say Q4 at least. And I would not get too excited about Tera. Graphics looks nice and combat seems fun but I see the game pretty shallow in chararter development. All classes are restricted to one kind of weapon etc. and there is a lot of grind.

At least Rift offers an interesting and deep character customization.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Juaks

I've been playing TERA quite a bit this week. The combat is beyond cool. The mobs don't just run into you and leave you to mash your rotation, they actually react to what you do (to an extent). I can't read Korean so getting deep into it is going to be impossible, but I'm super excited for the NA release now.

I would say Q4 at least. And I would not get too excited about Tera. Graphics looks nice and combat seems fun but I see the game pretty shallow in chararter development. All classes are restricted to one kind of weapon etc. and there is a lot of grind.

I don't think there is a lot of grind in TERA. It already launched in Korea and I believe somebody hit the level cap within 1 week.

• koniu77koniu77 Member Posts: 5

The animations are fluid, running is good, combat is good, riding is good, swimming is good. Are we supposed to play a virtual movement simulator from a high-tech lab? No, we want cute toons and cute animations and Rift has them. As far as I know, you don't have invisible walls in Rift like something invisible blocking your path in the middle of nowhere. Except the initial tutorial zone the world was seamless for me.

LOL who are you kidding? try playing Aion if you wanna see good animations.  This PoS game has animations from 10 years ago.  Move on Fanboi...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by romanator0

I don't think there is a lot of grind in TERA. It already launched in Korea and I believe somebody hit the level cap within 1 week.

Actually someone hit level cap over a weekend. Just the one. 3 days.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-01-14/amazing_only_3_days_level_cap_of_tera_conquered,1.shtml

They're trying to avoid the grind with that game, from what I understand. It's more action-based, so my guess is they want to get the leveling out of the way quickly so you're prepared for the meat of the content, which happens at end-game. Or something. *shrug*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by koniu77

The animations are fluid, running is good, combat is good, riding is good, swimming is good. Are we supposed to play a virtual movement simulator from a high-tech lab? No, we want cute toons and cute animations and Rift has them. As far as I know, you don't have invisible walls in Rift like something invisible blocking your path in the middle of nowhere. Except the initial tutorial zone the world was seamless for me.

LOL who are you kidding? try playing Aion if you wanna see good animations.  This PoS game has animations from 10 years ago.  Move on Fanboi...

Which animations are you finding bad in Rift? And please post some comparisons to these 10 year old games your saying it mimics.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-01-14/amazing_only_3_days_level_cap_of_tera_conquered,1.shtml

They're trying to avoid the grind with that game, from what I understand. It's more action-based, so my guess is they want to get the leveling out of the way quickly so you're prepared for the meat of the content, which happens at end-game. Or something. *shrug*

Don't kid yourselves. People hit very fast level cap after release becase they did not wipe beta characters.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Impulse47

My biggest problem with Rift, as it stands, is that the gameplay has been stale since level 1.  A shaking camera every once in a while does not make the combat heart-pounding.  There is very little strategy in terms of skill usage... It's pretty much the same combo that you decided was best, and you repeat it over and over.  Very few skills are situational.  Overall, I don't feel like I'm playing a game.  I feel like I have a shitty job.  Tell me, please, what is fun about targetting a mob, pressing 2 3 4 5 6 1, and knowing that it will be dead, every time, by the time it reaches my mage?  Oh really?  Now multiply that by the 5,000 times I have done the same thing.  Why am I not getting paid for my labor?  Oh wait, I'm paying them.

Did you see that pratol from that Invasion Patrol comming up from behind you? The environments in Rift is much more dynamic then in old school MMO's. The tactics have changed a little

12352 is just the mindset of players as they are striving to become perfect at what they do, did you ever train Karate and do you know why they use strict patterns in their training? Precisely... NExt to that you can have 4 roles for every character which asks for more tactical awareness then all those other MMO's that use the same mechanic.

You my friend, are done with the repetitiveness of the UI, while i personally have more problems with the repetitiveness of high level content, going to the same dungen 400 times to get that piece of gear is not my idea of fun, thats why i personally only play the part of the game that i think fun, the road to endgame. I level up 1 or maybe 2 characters and then move on to the next game.

Most people tend to forget that these games are "Roleplay games" and thst its not so much about the game mechanics as it is about your immersion intoo the game.  Now RIft has actually a lot of story if you read the quests and books and talk to the NPC's they all have a lot to say. To many people Rift (and many other MMO's) is about being in another world and having adventures with their friends....   And espescially this is where i like Rift a lot...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Don't kid yourselves. People hit very fast level cap after release becase they did not wipe beta characters.

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmo-rpg-reviews/594-tera-online-review

A pretty long review that never once mentions TERA being a grind.

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by ScribZ

You are aware that the excellent IP of Warcraft was created by Blizzard for use in thier game worlds right? And that Trion is doing the same for Rift. So in reality, Rift is the start of another excellent IP - if it goes as good as most expect. Warhammer's IP was from PnP games, again, an IP created for use in games, just moved from one medium to another medium. Still created for gaming, and built on gaming, just like the start of the Rift IP right now. Every IP has to start someplace.

Correct me if I am wrong but Warhammer had wonderful IP from miniatures and pen and paper carefully crafted for decades before an MMORPG for it came out.

Warcraft had their IP (initially taken from Warhammer since their first game was going to be a game for Games Workshop) present in several games selling millions of copies for a decade preceding WoW.

What did Rifts have before someone cobbled together the backstory/lore for this game over the last two years?

Look, I don't want the game to fail and would be thrilled if it became immensely successful for some unfathomable reason, but it doesn't take a business or marketing genius to see that WoW+Warhammer without anything even close to the IP those games had/have is going to fizzle.  Maybe it won't die or get shut down, but I would expect it to have marginally less success than Warhammer.  Time will tell.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

You'll have to prove to me this is the case with this player. Especially since he details in the interview what level gaps he had the most difficulty conquoring, as well as doing this by sleeping only a few hours a day.

Not saying what he did was healthy or recommended, but that's not the point. If he can do it in a weekend, sleeping 4-5 hours, that's still level cap within about 57 hours. Even the most casual players dropping in for a couple of hours a day would kill that cap in a month. That's not a grinder. Links please, if you're going to try and prove otherwise.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. Back to Rift, or whatever.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

But the world IS static backdrop. It is like that in WoW too. All those MMOs are static backdrops with very abstract mechanics. But WoW draws you in via use of symbols, archetypes, characterisation, crisp controls. WTF is soul, what class am I what are those races, where am I home, how does it help me immerse in the world and suppress the lie?

Correct me if I am wrong but Warhammer had wonderful IP from miniatures and pen and paper carefully crafted for decades before an MMORPG for it came out.

Warcraft had their IP (initially taken from Warhammer since their first game was going to be a game for Games Workshop) present in several games selling millions of copies for a decade preceding WoW.

What did Rifts have before someone cobbled together the backstory/lore for this game over the last two years?

Look, I don't want the game to fail and would be thrilled if it became immensely successful for some unfathomable reason, but it doesn't take a business or marketing genius to see that WoW+Warhammer without anything even close to the IP those games had/have is going to fizzle.  Maybe it won't die or get shut down, but I would expect it to have marginally less success than Warhammer.  Time will tell.

Pretty light blue - see it? Warhammer's IP was from Pen and Paper games. Yes, I actually played it with the minatures back then. Blizzard's IP of Warcraft actually started from thier RTS game Orcs and Humans which got renamed to Warcraft on release. That IP came from the real time strategy PC games they made, which they converted over to an MMORPG. It wasn't an RPG until World of Warcraft came out. 

And what your saying, 'cobbled together the backstory/lore for this game' is EXACTLY how both of those other IPs got started. Someone cobbled together a backstory for thier games, one in a PnP book, the other in thier RTS PC games. But both of them started the same exact way Trion is trying to start thier IP now. The only difference is Trion is starting thier IP in an MMORPG, not in something else and moving it to an MMORPG years later.  

• koniu77koniu77 Member Posts: 5

Which animations are you finding bad in Rift? And please post some comparisons to these 10 year old games your saying it mimics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLZpdFtiOA

If you think these character animations look good for 2011 then you need to see an eye doctor ASAP

If you think these character animations look good for 2011 then you need to see an eye doctor ASAP

Hahahaha, OMG your really using that as your basis?? That vid is from Jan 4th, which is what Beta 3? And level 2 characters with a SINGLE attack? Seriously, not to mention the graphics on that vid are cranked down to minimal. Really, maybe you should do some research before you troll man. My eyes are fine, your brain needs some help though.

Oh yeah, and still waiting for those 10 year old game comparisons. Unless of course I was right and your posts are just trolls for the sake of being a hater and nothing more. I'm giving you a chance to prove me wrong here.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Pretty much hit it dead on. I often think of it as 2011 World of Warcraft meets Aion. Nothing new, same old stuff.

I really don't see much of Aion in this game.  More WoW meets WAR, heavy on the WAR.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Hahahaha, OMG your really using that as your basis?? That vid is from Jan 4th, which is what Beta 3? And level 2 characters with a SINGLE attack? Seriously, not to mention the graphics on that vid are cranked down to minimal. Really, maybe you should do some research before you troll man. My eyes are fine, your brain needs some help though.

Oh yeah, and still waiting for those 10 year old game comparisons. Unless of course I was right and your posts are just trolls for the sake of being a hater and nothing more. I'm giving you a chance to prove me wrong here.

While the animations certainly aren't anywhere near as bad as he is making them out, they also aren't particularly impressive for a next-gen game.  Aion and AoC are ~older~ games w/ better animations, significantly better in my opinion.

DCUO for instance, which was just released, has animations that put Rift to shame.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

The animations are terrible,and the combat sounds? GAWD.

Originally posted by comerb

While the animations certainly aren't anywhere near as bad as he is making them out, they also aren't particularly impressive for a next-gen game.  Aion and AoC are ~older~ games w/ better animations, significantly better in my opinion.

DCUO for instance, which was just released, has animations that put Rift to shame.

True, but the point is its NOT the same as 10 year old games. What most feel is a lacking fluidity to the combat in Rift is in reality a visual effect caused by the GCD which pauses the action inbetween each attack. If the GCD was not there, the combat would be just as fluid and continuous as the games currently out there. And thats just being objective and realistic.

And you also mention it not being impressive for a next-gen game, but what are you referring to there? Trion has stated that the next-gen part of thier game is in the backservers and how they function compared to other current MMO platforms. Thats the only part they every said was next-gen. Why everyone insists on adding words into thier mouth, and then trying to hold them accountable for things they never said is beyond me. Thats like me saying you owe me $20 and then wondering why your not paying me it.