Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Producing Free to Play

Misha over with Pirates of the Burning Sea has rewritten a new DevBlog on the process of taking the game F2P. Check out the article for more information!

We’ve been asked a few times about the process of moving Pirates of the Burning Sea from a subscription model to a free-to-play (F2P) model. Did everything go as planned? Did we encounter hurdles along the way? In this devlog, I’ll give you a look behind the curtain and talk about how the process went—from start to finish.

Read more here.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

So does this basically say another game published by SOE that has been circling the drain for years goes subscription + micro transaction?

Pretty gross in my opinion and the reason I lost interest in this game is because they decided to partner with SOE, SOE then fluffed up the distribution monumentaly just to make sure it never had a chance of success and so here we are today. John Smedley is crazy for sub + micro transaction and has been pushing it hard for years, now it seems PotBS is swinging from the yard arm just the way he planned it.

Tragic.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• oncelovingonceloving Member Posts: 106

You obviously don't know much about the development team if you are blaming the state of POTBS on Sony.  The truth is that the developers said they were going to do things their way.  The success or failure of the game would rest on their decisions.  They ended up making what in my opinion were very stupid mistakes.  I believe the developers have since said so.  The game had great potential but on release a lot of very important features were missing and the developers basically told some of us concerned players to like what they were doing or leave.  SOE was a non factor in the mess that POTBS became in all honesty.

• GrailchaserGrailchaser Member Posts: 20

Great game. Loved the ship-to-ship combat. Okay customisation on the characters.

But in the end there was not enough detail on the character profile, the economy was too complex and the hand-to-hand combat sucked.

• juv95hrnjuv95hrn Member UncommonPosts: 12

The game is great, the community is great compared to other games, pvp might be the best there is among MMOs of today, pve is rather boring imo. 

What ruins the game is FLS support policies and design decisions. The screw over customers of many years when changning item values and exchange rates. You can lose a ship that takes months to build and can not be built ever again due to crashing software and slow reconnection servers and FLS will simply lean back and say "its not our fauly, its your problem"

After 3 years of playing I must admit that even if I like the game a lot I simply cant stand FLS and play it very little even if its free to play now.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Everyone who's into MMOS should play this game just to try the ship-to-ship combat.  It really is superbly implemented, an almost perfect balance between sim elements and game elements, IMHO.  Hitting spacebar to fire off a broadside and hearing the boom of one's cannons and the splintering of the enemy's ship never gets old.  Learning the basics of sailing and how to use the wind adds a wonderful sim-like strategic element to the gameplay.

The game could be even greater if they had much smoother-working avatar combat (the avcom gameplay isn't too bad in and of itself, it's just hugely unpolished) with more variety and more content for avatar missions, with more interlinking between avatar and ship-to-ship.  (There are some missions where, e.g. one fights avatar to avatar with someone, they escape onto their ship and one finishes the fight in a ship - re-transitionig back to avatar if one decides to board.  But the integration could be smoother, and there could be more of this sort of thing.)

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

I tried this one the other day for a couple of days. Once I got to cat island and found out about how the players control the economy I was put off.

Other than that I think I would've stuck with it for a month or so, maybe longer I dunno.

Godspeed my fellow gamer