Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO features, who did it first?

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I was curious, so I thought I make a thread about it: all the different eyecatching features that are around in the current MMORPG's and that we give credit to one MMORPG, while it was maybe around a whole lot earlier in maybe a relatively unknown MMORPG.

Now, some I know or guess, and of others I hope that you people can help:

Dynamic events: as in quests or events that can change based upon collective player actions

Actually UO had these first. Event Moderators and GM's ran many different live events usually every weekend companies are now trying to automate what UO did live lol. 

first:  Everquest, in the Scars of Velious expansion where players helped determine which faction (dwarves or giants) had the upper hand in a region.

seen in: GW2, and to a lesser degree Rift

Public quests: as in quests that aren't bound to 1 player or group but which are just happening and in which players that are around can participate

UO again, everything from the library, Zoo and of course the live events. The live events were better anyways. The town criers would announce Lord British wished to see us or that something was going on, we gather at the castle and Lord British came out and addressed everyone and told us what was going on all in character. It was fun. 

first: FFXI (4th expansion)

seen in: FFXI, WAR, CO, GW2, Rift

Phasing: as in environment can be (visually) different from player to player depending upon at what quest stage a player is

first: LotrO

done best: WoW

seen in: LotrO (very minimal use), WoW

Non-tabbed, FPS like combat: as it says, no tabbing to select a target but you have to aim just like in shooters

first: AC (? if AC doesn't have it, then Endless Ages was first I think)

done best: Planetside

seen in: AC, Planetside, Endless Ages, Neocron, Fallen Earth (sort of), Tabula Rasa (sort of), Darkfall, TERA, DCUO

Arena PvP: where a group of players fights against other groups in a closed off area with objectives

first: GW

seen in: GW, WoW, AoC, CO, etc

RvR/large scale faction warfare

first: UO with faction warfare, DAoC with RvR (and 3 sided warfare)

done best: DAoC

seen in: UO, DAoC, Planetside, WoW, WAR, Aion, GW2, TSW

Player generated quests/content: quests created by players for other players to do

Actually again this was done in UO. Developers have worked hard trying to automate what players in UO were doing long ago. A simple example is the gauntlet. There was an abandoned dungeon we had in UO. We would tame dragons and other nasty beasties and let them lose in the dungeon at various sections and there was a naked race (No armor no weapons) the person to reach the end alive first won a prize. Sometimes it was an artifact, sometimes it was a check for 100k-1mil depending on the difficulty. Not only that but guilds like Elf held festivals for the shard where they put together shows, mini games where people could win prizes, etc. 

Heck I built "The Gauntlet" it was a 4 floor custom made house. Bottom floor was full of dragons and Ogre lords, second floor had teleport pads and a very narrow winding path. One pad took you to the 3rd floor, the other took you back down to the 1st floor with all the mobs. 3rd floor had carpets hiding holes that dropped you down to either the first floor or second floor. Top floor had 3 chests, one had deadly poison, one had a high end explosive trap, and one had 1mil check inside. 

We regular held tournaments in the arena's player and dev made as well. 

first: Ryzom

seen in: STO, Ryzom, CoX

multi-branching quests: quests that don't have only 1 outcome and where you can make just 1 choice, but where you can make several choices and each choice has a different outcome or impact, even beyond that single quest

first: SWTOR and GW2 (can't recall this from other MMO's)

seen in: SWTOR and GW2

Trinity based group combat: the well known 'tank & spank' formula, tank-healer-dps

first: EQ

seen in: as good as all MMORPG's, practically an MMO standard although a number of upcoming MMO's seem to deviate from it

added to the list:

Dying clothes

first: UO

seen in: UO, AC, DAoC, LotrO, GW, Rift, etc

Appearance tabs:  your avatar looks in clothes can be different from the gear you're actually using

UO again, not only were there armor slots but there were social clothing slots that could go over your armor. So not quite the same but it's what led to the appearance tabs we have now. 

first: EQ2

seen in: EQ2, Lotro, SWG

Achievements

first: Planetside

seen in:  Planetside, SWG, LotrO, WAR, WoW (I think it was implemented in WoW because WAR had it, for it was right after)

Flying mounts

first: AO

seen in: Wow, AO, EQ2

Player Housing

first: UO

seen in: UO, SWG, AO, EQ2 etc

Auction House

first: FFXI

seen in: FFXI, SWG, EQ2, WoW and as good as every MMO post-2005

dedicated PvP/PvE servers

first: EQ

seen in: almost all MMORPG's with a few exceptions

Player owned mounts: player owned stuff to ride on

first: Ultima Online

seen in: almost everything else since then

ships, sailing and sea combat: player-controlled sailing and combat, PvP/PvE at sea

first: Ultima Online

seen in: UO, Arche Age?

Multiclass: the ability for a player avatar to have several classes they can pick from and use simultaneously

first: FFXI

seen in: FFXI, GW, Rift,

Do you have other eyecatching MMO features that are missing here or any corrections or additions to the list above, post it here.

Just some minor corrections oO...... 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Crafting - First seen in Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot

For player housing add Dark Age of Camelot

also, Auction House I believe was in DAoC before FF.

And ship combat, add Darkfall and Dark Age of Camelot.

Note how WoW is missing most features, never created a feature, and never did a feature "best"?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I think you should add gw2 to the dye section if you haven't already.

http://www.arena.net/blog/live-and-let-dye-kristen-perry-on-the-gw2-dye-system

gw2 should also be put in the player housing section.

http://massively.joystiq.com/photos/pax-2010-guild-wars-2-photos#/26

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Dynamic events: as in quests or events that can change based upon collective player actions

Actually UO had these first. Event Moderators and GM's ran many different live events usually every weekend companies are now trying to automate what UO did live lol. 

Public quests: as in quests that aren't bound to 1 player or group but which are just happening and in which players that are around can participate

UO again, everything from the library, Zoo and of course the live events. The live events were better anyways. The town criers would announce Lord British wished to see us or that something was going on, we gather at the castle and Lord British came out and addressed everyone and told us what was going on all in character. It was fun. 

Player generated quests/content: quests created by players for other players to do

Actually again this was done in UO. Developers have worked hard trying to automate what players in UO were doing long ago. A simple example is the gauntlet. There was an abandoned dungeon we had in UO. We would tame dragons and other nasty beasties and let them lose in the dungeon at various sections and there was a naked race (No armor no weapons) the person to reach the end alive first won a prize. Sometimes it was an artifact, sometimes it was a check for 100k-1mil depending on the difficulty. Not only that but guilds like Elf held festivals for the shard where they put together shows, mini games where people could win prizes, etc. 

Heck I built "The Gauntlet" it was a 4 floor custom made house. Bottom floor was full of dragons and Ogre lords, second floor had teleport pads and a very narrow winding path. One pad took you to the 3rd floor, the other took you back down to the 1st floor with all the mobs. 3rd floor had carpets hiding holes that dropped you down to either the first floor or second floor. Top floor had 3 chests, one had deadly poison, one had a high end explosive trap, and one had 1mil check inside. 

Hey, thanks for the input :)

I didn't mean the (one-time) live events or RP events held by players, those are separate categories: I was referring to where dynamic events and public quests or player generated quests were all fully automated, not needing any player or dev intervention to set up for them to run.

That house though sounds like player created dungeon. Was it in UO right from the start, or was this possible only in a later expansion? If it was later, do you know what year it was introduced?

Originally posted by romanator0

Yep, will do that. And I read the article, looks a great system.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Everquest let you dye your gear as well.  So does Istaria.

Oh and Istaria has multi-classing too.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

not sure what came first but player achievements were present in CoH as well. They were called badges.

Great thread btw!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Hey, thanks for the input :)

I didn't mean the (one-time) live events or RP events held by players, those are separate categories: I was referring to where dynamic events and public quests or player generated quests were all fully automated, not needing any player or dev intervention to set up for them to run.

That house though sounds like player created dungeon. Was it in UO right from the start, or was this possible only in a later expansion? If it was later, do you know what year it was introduced?

Originally posted by romanator0

Yep, will do that. And I read the article, looks a great system.

Yeah the customizable housing was in 2003. It came with the Age of Shadows expantion and we ran with it. There were everything from things like my gauntlet to massive rune libraries to haunted houses. 

And it's at least note worthy that the automated systems began as live events done by players and devs :P other devs are trying to recapture that with automated systems.  

UO still does the live events and even introduced the Stygian Abyss expantion with one. 

My Favorite was the Moonglow (or was it magiciana invasion), if players succeeded in saving the town the town wasn't destroyed on their shard (server), if they failed it was destroyed on their shard (server) and populated with reaper like creatures and spirits. 

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

--snip

--snip

Yeah the customizable housing was in 2003. It came with the Age of Shadows expantion and we ran with it. There were everything from things like my gauntlet to massive rune libraries to haunted houses. 

And it's at least note worthy that the automated systems began as live events done by players and devs :P other devs are trying to recapture that with automated systems.  

UO still does the live events and even introduced the Stygian Abyss expantion with one. 

My Favorite was the Moonglow (or was it magiciana invasion), if players succeeded in saving the town the town wasn't destroyed on their shard (server), if they failed it was destroyed on their shard (server) and populated with reaper like creatures and spirits. 

I'm totally not trying to rain on your parade here - what UO did, and what you did with UO sounds very cool, and like something that would have been fun to have been a part of (sadly, I never played the game). However:

The player generated content that you're describing is more akin to emergent gameplay, rather than true player-generated content, in the style intended by the OP. You were given tools that were intended for one thing (customizable housing), and used it for something different (creating "dungeons" basically). While it's very cool that you could do that, the housing tools (as I understand it) were not meant for that originally.

Ryzom Ring (from Ryzom), Architect Missions (from CoX), The Foundry (from STO) and the Storyteller tools (from SWG) were all created with the express purpose of letting players design their own game content - quests, dungeons etc. and falls under the term user generated content.

So I think what is needed is a tightening of definition of what exactly is meant in the OP, or an additional category that allows for what you guys did in UO as a seperate entry.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• FogertyFogerty Member UncommonPosts: 24

First somersault:

EQ dwarfs?

Tyrust - EQ
    Proximo - EQII
    Proximo - Warhammer Online
    Fogerty - Vanguard

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Veteran Rewards - Ultima Online : Unique Items given to players who played for a long time.

• DaredentDaredent Member UncommonPosts: 14

This is a lie.   This is all a giant bull*** thread!    WOW did it all first!  They all copied off WOW!

ROFLMAO ... sorry I had too.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Dying armor wasn't in the category, it was EQ's version of dying clothing.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Fogerty
    First somersault:
    EQ dwarfs?

Very neat effect indeed.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Housing, build ships and sail them huge large clan battles all in darkfall.

AC2 dye clothes also.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by thecipher

I'm totally not trying to rain on your parade here - what UO did, and what you did with UO sounds very cool, and like something that would have been fun to have been a part of (sadly, I never played the game). However:

The player generated content that you're describing is more akin to emergent gameplay, rather than true player-generated content, in the style intended by the OP. You were given tools that were intended for one thing (customizable housing), and used it for something different (creating "dungeons" basically). While it's very cool that you could do that, the housing tools (as I understand it) were not meant for that originally.

Ryzom Ring (from Ryzom), Architect Missions (from CoX), The Foundry (from STO) and the Storyteller tools (from SWG) were all created with the express purpose of letting players design their own game content - quests, dungeons etc. and falls under the term user generated content.

So I think what is needed is a tightening of definition of what exactly is meant in the OP, or an additional category that allows for what you guys did in UO as a seperate entry.

Maybe it is more of a split between player generated quests and player generated content in general, it sounds like the housing tool was far, far more than just a house you could build like in other MMORPG's, instead you could build whole dungeons a la Dungeon Keeper apparently and other type of buildings of various flexible functionality.

Originally posted by Evasia

Housing, build ships and sail them huge large clan battles all in darkfall.

AC2 dye clothes also.

Thanks, I'll add them.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Garvon3

Note how WoW is missing most features, never created a feature, and never did a feature "best"?

Bumping!

• jinxterjinxter Member UncommonPosts: 8

Already mentioned

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

FFXI was introduced in Japan in May 2002 PS 2 and November for the PC of the same year. DAoC patch notes for the player market system  http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=540   august 2003  therefore FFXI is the one who craeted Auction Houses.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

FFXI was introduced in Japan in May 2002 PS 2 and November for the PC of the same year. DAoC patch notes for the player market system  http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=540   august 2003  therefore FFXI is the one who craeted Auction Houses.

Good catch!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Nice thread we have going here....

Some questions to discuss :

-What game started with instanced dungeons?

-What game started with gathering as we know it?

-What game was the first one with a political system that allowed players to influence the game?

-What game was the first with player organisations currently known as guilds?

-What game was the first to have ingame fishing?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Bumping!

Heh, too many updates and suggestions, must've missed this one (probably some more suggestions from others too)

They're added now.

WoW has 'phasing' which as good as no other MMO has, and certainly not to the extent that WoW uses. Also I'd commend its Battlegrounds, which I can't recall any other MMORPG doing like that let alone doing it better. That is, until GW2 from ANet comes out, their World vs World PvP has the potential to trump any RvR or battlegrounds type of PvP.

I've rated SWG as 'crafting done best' unless people have other better suggestions.

I'd say that so far STO's Foundry looks to be best in the category 'player created quests and quest generation tooling'

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

What about tailored dungeons that can have raids of up to 36 people .That would be Lost Dungeons of Norath expansion Alex from Everquest released in September 2003. Anarchy Online had instances but not enough to support 36 players of raid size.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

What about tailored dungeons that can have raids of up to 36 people .That would be Lost Dungeons of Norath expansion Alex from Everquest released in September 2003. Anarchy Online had instances but not enough to support 36 players of raid size.

What do you mean with tailored dungeons? Do you mean instanced dungeons?

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Please remove "Done best in - GW2" for dying armor as this is absolutely ridiculous to add a "done best" to a game that is not even released in a beta form currently.  It kills the validity of the entire thread for me, so let's remove it!

Also, Please add Runes of Magic to "As seen in" for :Multiclass

Housing I would personally add "done best in: UO" to rule out any silly instance housing systems.  That's just my taste.  If not UO, then the only other possible option really would be SWG am I right?  That was some sick housing too.

Good thread otherwise!

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

This thread should be sticky and every wow fanboy complaining abut some wow-clone should be redirected here.