Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is Rift the best thing to happen to MMO's

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

I played all afternoon non stop and I have to say Rift is simply the best game I've ever played, I took part in 2 invasions and 6 rifts, it never got boring for me. I am currently a level 14 Warlock/Chloromancer/Necromancer and I have to say the soul system is simply the best talent system I've seen to date. Besides all of the rifts and mechanics I have to say it just has the style of play I dreamed of. It has the combat of WAR (my favorite PvP game) and the leveling and questing of WoW (my favorite PvE game) combined! It is like a dream come true for me.

Some people say rifts are too plentiful and annoying, but they are completely avoidable and enjoyable. If a rift does happen to spawn on your questing zone, it takes no longer than 10 minutes to close it. You get great rewards and great fun for completing it. Besides all that they have an additional system where the rewards you get from rifts you can spend to buy really good gear and/or great buff items. Its a win-win in terms of fun and items.

Invasions are a whole different ball game in terms of fun. It is hectic, it is mean, it is nasty, but it is the funnest bit of Elite killing I've ever had. Hundreds of players come to said "invasions" to defend the town from the monsters that seek to destroy it. Let me tell you, 100 people is about the right ammount to do the job invasions are no joke. I took on a super invasion where there were hundreds of elites swarming the town. It took a whole half hour to hour to finish the invasion (With hundreds of other people!). It wasn't all a waste either, I got a charm that gave me a great deal of stats, alot of the currency used to buy the good gear I mentioned in the rift paragraph, and other buffs and things also. It just feels so rewarding to win an invasion.

@all the people complaining about the community: Trust me on this one, type /leave 4. Just do it. Don't ask why. Do it. I did that early on when i realized the leveling chat was full of QQers and haters. Now that channel 4 is out of the way your community experience is now 10x better. The general chat (the good chat) was full of people talking about pros and cons of their classes, talking about quests, asking for help with rifts, and helping others. It was generally what you'd expect from a good gaming community. Albeit I did meet some assholes along the way (very few) that is something to be expected.

Conclusion: Rift might not be a revolution in MMO's but it sure as hell is a worth-while experience and is definately something for any Warhammer/WoW enthusiasts and everybody else interested in the fantasy MMO genre. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for something new, or for anyone who feels WoW just isn't enough anymore. I applaud you Trion Worlds for putting the time and effort in this game, and I thank all those non-haters who are helping this game along during the BETA phase.

P.S. The graphics are great!

Comments

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

It is just you.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I like the game, but I got to say it's just you. Sooner or later the honeymoon period will end and you'll start seeing the flaws as well. The trick as with any MMO is to have a positive balance of good qualities vs flaws.

As for the 1-9 channel (channel 4), I try to help as many people as possible in that channel. I just got to ignore all the wow talk matrix style, hehe.

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

im not a fanboy of rift.  i just heard about it like 2 weeks ago.  but i must say it really is pretty good.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Just you.   After playing my share of the game now, though it is decent, it's just more of the same.   ::shrugs::  The Rift's get old fast.  The dungeons are not all the inspiring really.   Still hate some of the animations, and I cannot stand the combat sounds.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

It is just you. Rift is WoW with "rifts". Once the novelty of the Rifts wears off it's just WoW with slightly better graphics.

• NoriandronNoriandron Member Posts: 13

ok i was playing and its been down are they coming back up tonight anytime soon anyone one know reply soon please.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Sure game is fine nice looking and fun to play, however we are still to see if it is worth paying monthly fee for.

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Originally posted by bastionix

It is just you. Rift is WoW with "rifts". Once the novelty of the Rifts wears off it's just WoW with slightly better graphics.

I would just like to say it is just WoW with better graphics, but I played WoW for 3 years and WAR for 1 year, those games are boring and this game is new, has new things, and great PvP I'd take Rift over WoW anyday.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I beleive Rift will do well.. I'll be purchaseing it.. But TBH i think SWTOR will be the real MMO to shine this year.. Then possibley GW2 in 2012 or late 2011.. All and all Rift will do well and build up a good sized fanbase.. But IMO SWTOR will either be the best thing to happen to MMORPGS (getting more suits and ties to invest into MMO's) or it'll be the worse thing and crash 'n burn; leaving suites and ties nervous in investing in MMORPGs.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

Originally posted by Teala

Just you.   After playing my share of the game now, though it is decent, it's just more of the same.   ::shrugs::  The Rift's get old fast.  The dungeons are not all the inspiring really.   Still hate some of the animations, and I cannot stand the combat sounds.

The rifts are the same thing every time up to level 33 so far.

Open tear > 6 mobs spawn > 6 mobs spawn > 1 -4 mobs spawn > 1-4 mobs spawn > boss spawns > close rift.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

• slashenslashen Member Posts: 13

Yes it is just you. The game is well done , but to me has many flaws. The music is not good, especially those crazy strings in combat. The combat animations and sound are also mediocre at best. The game is solid ,but again go kill this go kill that quests . The rift and invasions are neat but lets face it they will dull quickly. I just dont see anything here that hasnt already been done.

I would also like to point out, this game isn't for everyone and not everyone is going to like it, there will be haters, there will be fan boys, but I truelly feel this game is worth my time, more so than WoW (getting 85 then doing dungeons over and over gets real old / or PvP that you end up by just getting wrecked by any warrior or paladin that crosses your path). This game with its multi soul system shows alot more promise than that.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Sorry mate, I won't say "just you" but I will say I don't find the game worth any of the hype, I have played it to 15 just to give it a chance. But the combat mechanics are off, the sounds are horrible in combat, and like another poster said the animations are rough. Overall it's a well thought out game, but brings nothing innovating.  In my 'opinion' it's out to have the same old fate that Warhammer/AoC and Aion experienced, lots of "oohh!" and "ahhhs!" but that can only last so long until deep down you realize it's bringing nothing new or innovating to hold your interest or thirst for adventure.  In my playbook the best MMO I ever played that was innovating after EQ's mega hit was Anarchy Online, and not even that game made it big, granted it's still around and I still play it to this day on and off. 

My prediction is that the Rift hype will cool down 2-3 months after release. However, I'm glad you found a game you can enjoy, to each their own taste. Who knows to some my opinion is just as faulted as mine is of the current situation of new MMORPG's not keeping my interest. I have tried everything out there, as sad as that may be to admit, who knows maybe I'm just not into MMORPG's anymore. Here's to hoping SOE redeems themselves by giving us FPS blood thirsty gamers a good Planetside 2 to last a while.

Cheers,

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I like the openness of the beta.

People bash things, but the games out now aren't anything newer/better, and the wait for the next hope is 6 months to 18 months off, or further if those fail to be 'it'.

I like the word on things for open world pvp, but I prefer  non-instanced dungeons, and would like the crafting/gethering to be a little better.

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

im surprise SWTOR is coming out this year before GW2?? thought they only just started develop 2 years ago??

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34

can none of you "its just you" people understand that some of us MMO veterans simply want something different doesnt matter if its one game or another with different graphics. its new and that is refreshing.

A good game is not a game that comes out and changes everything, a good game is a game that takes past mistakes and failures and improves upon them and also capitalizes on those older generations successes as well.

Im an Eq1 vet and have played most all fantasy mmos to date for varing periods of time.  From the moment i logged into Rift and started making my 500 different characters to try all the souls i was met with a huge sense of nostalga and that my friends is why Rift will do well for those of us who want a new game doesnt matter if its the same.

Originally posted by crescens87

can none of you "its just you" people understand that some of us MMO veterans simply want something different doesnt matter if its one game or another with different graphics. its new and that is refreshing.

A good game is not a game that comes out and changes everything, a good game is a game that takes past mistakes and failures and improves upon them and also capitalizes on those older generations successes as well.

Im an Eq1 vet and have played most all fantasy mmos to date for varing periods of time.  From the moment i logged into Rift and started making my 500 different characters to try all the souls i was met with a huge sense of nostalga and that my friends is why Rift will do well for those of us who want a new game doesnt matter if its the same.

You sir are a good man and understand where I am coming from as an MMO veteran myself.

What exactly is new about Rift outside of the Rifts that spawn 6 mobs in each phase, something any MMO could have come up with?

The UI from WoW, the global cooldown from WoW, the Kill X wolves, Collect 6 hides questing from WoW, the instanced dungeons from WoW, the specs from WoW, the tradeskills from WoW,....really......tell me what is so "new and refreshing"? I'll tell you, nothing.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

What exactly is new about Rift outside of the Rifts that spawn 6 mobs in each phase, something any MMO could have come up with?

snip

I'm sorry did any other MMO come up with it? Ya know rifts that spawn anywhere on the world map basically and scale to difficulty depending the area their in?  NPC's that regularly take over zones and force a community wide effort to put them down.  

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by lkc673

im surprise SWTOR is coming out this year before GW2?? thought they only just started develop 2 years ago??

Develop started 4 years ago fro SWTOR.

Originally posted by SonikFlash

snip

I'm sorry did any other MMO come up with it?

The mobs spawning in place? Yes, lots of raids in EQ and WoW are like that. What makes a Rift any different, that it has tentacles? When you do your 100th rift you'll understand that it's just the same as grinding 6 mobs.

The UI from WoW, the global cooldown from WoW, the Kill X wolves, Collect 6 hides questing from WoW, the instanced dungeons from WoW, the specs from WoW, the tradeskills from WoW,....really......tell me what is so "new and refreshing"? I'll tell you, nothing.

Whats new about Rift is the fact that it is just new, its a new game doesnt matter if it does all the same stuff other games have done and quite frankly new is what I and so many others wanted

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It most certainly is you. I think some have really gone off the deep end just to get their fix in until something better comes along.

I want to go on the record cause im tired of seeing it on every other post,

WOW DIDNT INVENT MMOs