Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does not Tera feel as popular as Rift?

Comments

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Siecefire

Why is Tera not as popular as Rift....

Becuase Tera is a Korean made game that will be a complete bull s**t grind fest just like Aion was.

Oh god,at least read this topic,there are also several topics of people that are currently playing the game,Tera doesn't have any kind of grind.

°No mob grind,you can quest grind just like in western games.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by wolf11223

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by bastionix

Let Tera evolve slowly so the community is good. You don't want Rift's community. If the community and the game is good the rest will follow.

You don't want Rift's community? What does that mean? Rift has no in-game community, the game has not launched yet. Or are we now associating forum trolling with what is happening inside the game servers?

I believe they are refering to beta.. where 90% of the people testing it are asses lol.

Which will be the same in ANY beta community, specially when it comes to open betas.

Trust me, if/when TERA does an open beta for the west, the same asses will be there complaining/comparing and bitching about the same shit.

As for why is it that TERA isnt feeling as popular as Rift, well mostly because Rift is weeks away from launch and getting good word of mouth. TERA is still a long long way off and 90% of what is known about the game is either given to us by the devs or through secondhand info from a Korean beta test. Its also an eastern style game which many MMO players tend to be more skeptical about. Once there is a more localized beta for the west, you should see its popularity either start climbing (due to people liking the game) or falling (due to people discovering their 'eastern MMO' fears coming true)

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Askedan

Becuase Tera is a Korean made game that will be a complete bull s**t grind fest just like Aion was.

Oh god,at least read this topic,there are also several topics of people that are currently playing the game,Tera doesn't have any kind of grind.

°No mob grind,you can quest grind just like in western games.

Tera has grind. Every MMO has grind.

But more on point, people don't really trust what others say when it comes to beta experience because as you might have noticed throughout the last 10+ years is that fanboys will hype a game no matter how bad it is and trolls will bash a game no matter how good it is. Most people wait till they can try it for themselves before they form an opinion. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Rift will have lots of end game contents like 20 men raids and stuffs.

Tera only 5 men dungeon runs but it has cool races and combat system.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most of us have tried Rift, few have tried TERA.

We can't be sure which game we prefer until we tried both, but we know that Rift is pretty good. Of TERA we still don't know that much, we seen a few vids so we know it looks great and we know the classes but that is about it.

I am more surprised that GW2 is even more hyped than Rift.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Loke666

We can't be sure which game we prefer until we tried both, but we know that Rift is pretty good. Of TERA we still don't know that much, we seen a few vids so we know it looks great and we know the classes but that is about it.

And that's not just on this site. The two upcoming MMORPGs that are listed by my gaming magazine of choice as most promising are GW2 and SW:ToR, Tera and Rift are basically ignored. Although they have got an article on Rift coming soon.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Alot

And that's not just on this site. The two upcoming MMORPGs that are listed by my gaming magazine of choice as most promising are GW2 and SW:ToR, Tera and Rift are basically ignored. Although they have got an article on Rift coming soon.

Which magazine is this?

Yeah, Bioware are very popular with game reviewers even if they aren't that huge on this site.

But as I said, most of the people here have tested Rift. I don't think most of the people who reads PC gamer have, we are kinda the main MMORPG fans and keeps ourself updated and many of us try out betas.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by romanator0

Which magazine is this?

http://www.pcgameplay.com/

It's Dutch. I don't expect them to put Rift in the top 25 of most promising games as they basically already had such a list with 32 titles, Rift wasn't amongst them. I wouldn't know anything else about the latest issue, because it has been DELAYED!

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

People have been burned off by Korean games with beautiful graphics and crappy gameplay for too long to trust a new super shiny graphic game from there.

In the west you make the gameplay good first and THEN you focus on looks else the game will fail no matter how much shine you put on it. Many western games make the same mistake of putting shine first but they always dwindle away.

There are also other elements that really really annoy many people in the west. One is weird movement systems, weird sounds, over girly female characters, too big weapons and too much flashy graphics. Lately the japanese game fashion of putting way too small heads on big bodies is adding to the annoyance.

People in the west want games to give them interesting and fun gameplay that is varied, and once that is achieved give them figures that they can identify with either from the real world of the fantasy worlds of their youth which in many cases are from comics. Most eastern games give neither.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

When it's all said and done, at the end of the day I would rather fight this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxC3q3qc3jc

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Who cares how popular it seems. If you have fun playing it, that's all that matters.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Timukas

So you calling people trolls because they do not like Tera? This is not Tera thread but thread on both games. I do not like anything in Tera tbh. If I want a game without auto-target then I play FE where I have really nice rifles and pistols instead of ridiculous barn door sized axes.

MMOs have ridicoulus unrealistic combat mechanics so why shouldn't the weapons be like that too?

This is really a question about art. In a game like Mount and blade it would just be silly but it is actually somewhat realistic in more ways than the art.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Timukas

So you calling people trolls because they do not like Tera? This is not Tera thread but thread on both games. I do not like anything in Tera tbh. If I want a game without auto-target then I play FE where I have really nice rifles and pistols instead of ridiculous barn door sized axes.

MMOs have ridicoulus unrealistic combat mechanics so why shouldn't the weapons be like that too?

This is really a question about art. In a game like Mount and blade it would just be silly but it is actually somewhat realistic in more ways than the art.

Well there is a difference between unrealistic and plain silly.

The mega weapons you see in many Korean games looks like you are compensating for something when you wield them.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by afoaa

Well there is a difference between unrealistic and plain silly.

The mega weapons you see in many Korean games looks like you are compensating for something when you wield them.

TERA actually has a good reason for the oversized weapons. Balancing. In a game where the weapon actually has to touch the enemy to hit, weapon size matters. Otherwise, the melee classes would be gimped. Notice how the Ranged classes' weapons arent oversized? Yeah.

Plus, I mean...come on....World of Warcraft? It's the very epitome of oversized weapons.

Sup.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I found more grind in Rift than in Tera, atleast thats how it is in the first 25 levels that i raised my chars in both games, dunno what can happen later on.

And for the guy who said that west devs. frist make a good gameplay and then take care about other stuff.... lol... i mean... LOL... so yeah AoC, WAR, Lotro, Champions Online and Vanguard are very good examples of quality west products in regards of gameplay, the game can be bad or good no matter where its from, thinking otherwise is just dumb.

• xtoasterxtoaster Member Posts: 31

TERA is a korean made game. So when it comes to the western world it will be like AION. Grinding mindlessly until you'r eyes bleed.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by xtoaster

TERA is a korean made game. So when it comes to the western world it will be like AION. Grinding mindlessly until you'r eyes bleed.

Tbh, I've played both Tera and Aion, the grind was not the same. Compared to recent Rift's beta it was much less grindtastic and way more fun, at least at the first 20 levels that I reached in both games. You can't possibly have more fun in Rift than in Tera at those levels.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Those who have played Tera seemed to think  it is atypical of Korean games but the prejudice against Korean games is hard to fight.

Chamber of Chains
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Personally I love Tera's art style, especially in how sexy (the females) and manly (the males) are depicted, as opposed to most western inspired artists. These games are not reality simulators, so I don't see why they need to portray people as asexual. And when I say asexual, I don't mean ugly. There is one thing to be ugly, that at least provokes emotions. There is another to be bland, average, lacking identity. 

I hope I made myself clear.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Because I have played Rift and had fun, whereas I've only seen some screenshots and info about TERA. I might be a bit cynical, but I've learned to not to be too hyped about something I haven't been able to test myself.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Because Rift is a fact we see , and Tera is still just a mirrage.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Lots of clueless stereotyping there friend. 

Besides, Aion was never a level grind. If you believe that, then you never played a level grinding game. It is however a gear grind, which follows the philosophy of the most successful western MMO.

Tera is an unknown at this point. Unknown combat mechanisms, unknown levelling progression, unknown end game content. It's easier to feel more excited about a game that you have more info, you played and you ended up liking than something that you have only second hand information.

This discussion has been closed.