Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Game 2011

Comments

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Those flamming, did you research the game prior to installing and know the type of game it was or did you just think 'excelent, free game for a bit'? Not an insult, a genuine question, nothing wrong with free game :)

You're brave! Six months ago I would have been on your side.

Today, it is the 1 of february. Release in 3 days. Today, the question is how many posters are ready to pay 49€ to Beta-test the Alpha version of this game. How many peoples here are ready to sacrify their free first month today, knowing that most of the content will not be released before April?

• jemibanez777jemibanez777 Member Posts: 31

A serious question.

Where did it go wrong ? I mean they had to rewamp the combat system. (How they could not se that it needed it is beyond me) To few assets / to little time ? 6 or 7 years contra darkfalls about the same.

From videos the skills seem kind of thought out. Have pre-ordered in hope of future miracles.

Pointless post but still. There it is.

• fleblikfleblik Member Posts: 41

I like how the guy creating the thread complains about movement, and the problem is he is to lazy to read the first page that pops up when you log in "Movement". Thats all I need to read, I cant listen to any of your complaints after such a fail.

As for the game, yeah it sucks, but I think I like it. Deffinately a game I want to be part of early, even though the problems will be many.

My life is a game!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by EveJunkie

I waited years for this and finally got a beta key. After playing for a short while... what have they been doing all these years? This isnt even close to being ready for release. Its not even beta standard its alpha, I'm crushed. :(

Everything I saw in game felt sloppy and poorly developed. I really wanted to give it a honest try and hope that it would improve but I really couldnt put up with it. Really basic things like that you cant even remap your keys without editing LUA files as they've not put that functionality in yet. It was so poorly done I got angry at the wasted potential and uninstalled.

not really its beta alpha ussly unplayable

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Celusios

This game is probably the worst MMORPG title on the market. Anyone who does not believe me get a beta key and hop into the game. Character creation is lacking as crap, UI sucks, and of course the movement controls are HORRID.

This is just like the thread that say Rift is the best game of 2011, stop sharing out "awards" before the year is over. Just say thta you don't like it and why.

well said.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by gigat

This game is probably the worst MMORPG title on the market. Anyone who does not believe me get a beta key and hop into the game. Character creation is lacking as crap, UI sucks, and of course the movement controls are HORRID.

I haven't played the game yet. Character creation, UI, and movement controls? That's it?

What about other aspects of the game?

It was so shitty I couldn't even bother. This is all opinionated of course... I couldn't even really move. Like tradtionally you can click or move with WSAD. Well you can move with WSAD however, it's not entirely accurate nor does the camera move. Character creation you get like 10 faces to pick from, and a few hair styles. You cannot customize anything but those (and race of course and skin color/hair color). UI looks like some stuff from 2001. The quests made no sense.. nor was there a story introduction to explain anything going on.

On a positive note, it does have some pretty nice looking graphics.

So you came posting here because you didn't read the big popup window telling you how to move and switch combat and movement modes? okay. move along.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by astoria

I haven't played the game yet. Character creation, UI, and movement controls? That's it?

It was so shitty I couldn't even bother. This is all opinionated of course... I couldn't even really move. Like tradtionally you can click or move with WSAD. Well you can move with WSAD however, it's not entirely accurate nor does the camera move. Character creation you get like 10 faces to pick from, and a few hair styles. You cannot customize anything but those (and race of course and skin color/hair color). UI looks like some stuff from 2001. The quests made no sense.. nor was there a story introduction to explain anything going on.

So you came posting here because you didn't read the big popup window telling you how to move and switch combat and movement modes? okay. move along.

You can dismiss his statement, however, he is correct. The controls really do need some work . They just do not flow as well as other mmo games or even a single player TPS game. Tabula Rasa had decent movement and shooting controls. They will probably get it up to that level in time.

BOOYAKA!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by cyress8

You can dismiss his statement, however, he is correct. The controls really do need some work . They just do not flow as well as other mmo games or even a single player TPS game. Tabula Rasa had decent movement and shooting controls. They will probably get it up to that level in time.

I found the basic combat controls to flow very well. It could be because I played Fallen Earth for a bit, but even so, I found it to be pretty smooth. I think something simple like telling the user to hit 'Alt' puts them in combat mode and that 'Tab' locks the mouse position would be good. I figured it out by randomly hitting buttons because I knew you switched modes like you do in Fallen Earth. The only thing that took getting used to was the mouse button assignments - LMB should pan the camera, RMB should let you steer your character. That didn't take too much getting used to, and I assume when you can assign your buttons, that'll be changable.

I did not have any issues with the camera...the camera followed me around and stayed behind my character per my expectations.

The UI is a bit dated, but no more so than DCUO or Champions. I could really care less about the UI though since I hardly see anything other than the information it's supposed to provide. I would be happy with an option to strip away most of the UI decorations and just leave the most basic, necessary stuff.

Really, if they just get the server totally stable so that when you play the game it's smooth and you don't have to wait a second for your screen to catch up with what you told it to do, they'll be fine. Everything else in the game can be worked on while people are playing (quests, world story, mob density, etc.).

*edit* I meant tell you in the initial melee combat quest that you hit 'Alt' to enter combat mode and hit 'Tab' to lock your mouse to center screen and mouse steer.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by Tredo

Well, I have played for about 3 hours total, there is not story line, there is not direction, graphics are no better than Runes of Magic, UI is for sure something from 2001 or before. The game play sucks, there is not course of tutorials for anything other then go kill this with this gun, go kill this with this other gun and thats about it. Once you get off the n00b island more of go kill this, and then go kill that, no tutorial for crafting or anything else. You basically walk around lost and hope someone tells you were to go find the mob you need to kill. Controls are horrid, you have to know the right combination of keys to get the outcome you need in order to pick something or to click something or to go into combat mode or look around... horrible set up. Epic fail imho worse then FFIVX.

This is a SANDBOX game. Its not going to hold your hand and give you an arrow to follow. Your supposed to have to explore the world and find creatures for quests etc.

People who complain about the controls either aren't able to change from the standard mmo or just don't read the manual. You use WASD to move and strafe, QE to turn, and alt to switch between combat mode (when you right click you shoot) and exploration mode (you have a mouse and can interact with objects). TAB switches between the two aiming modes (one gives you a locked cursor that moves the screen like a shooter, the other gives you a free coursor thats like every MMO).

The UI  is basic but its fine, of course I've never been one to complain about any UI. Graphics are actaully pretty good on max.

It sounds like ALOT of the people posting hate about this game didn't know anything about it and just grabbed a beta key. Like this poster above me he didn't even take the time to explore the world or learn the controls. It's not a theme park MMO and it won't hold your hand.

Personally I'm having a blast with the game. The world is the best open MMO world I've ever seen, the PvP is fun and unique, and the 250+ skills will keep anyone who likes figuring out fun character builds interested for a long time.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Oh come on... It's a good game they just have some crappy stability issues right now. During testing I had no issue with the games actual gameplay and direction. My issues were disconnects and server lag. Other than that EarthRise is right up there with Perpetuum.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by cyress8

Tabula Rasa did have great controls and they remind me of Earthrise. Still he exaggerated to the point of inaccuracy. It took some getting used to the Alt and Tab, like 1 minute. Now, if I can't remap them, I'll join the complainers. Something that basic I'll put on a mouse or g13 button.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

first off this game might have some pontential but the way the gear is so overpowering really limits the game. right now tech 3 gear takes about 10 noobs to take them down.

now lets excelerate this to 2 years. they now have tech 20 armor. how and why would any noob ever want to join.

eves ships all have there advantages and disadvantages, even now its  not unheard for a t1 frigate gang to form and set up to have some fun and wreck havock.

also as far as sandbox goes its more of a comunal sandbox game, you free mines to help everyone. you build mines for your corp so the corp benefits. so the sandbox seems to imply corp or guild sandbox.

And the developer sdo not give any type of specific mechanics and there very vague in responses if they respond.

Its also not full loot becuase the cost to insure everything important is negligeble.

If MHS wants my money, I want an elaborate plan presented to me, not vague promises. I want to see the rule sets up front. and I want to hear there plans for the future and the rules sets for them. Not were going to have vehicles.

can you build the vehicles, can they have weapons on them, can you steal them can you blow them up.

I think if MHS actually had someone who worked PR and would speak to there potential cusutmers and disemenate useful information it would go along way with alleaving fears.

for starters is that it for the character creators, or do all women have to have blonder hair, even if your a black women.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

The only sandbox game i ever played was SWG and it was never in this state when it first launched. It also gave the players a bit more direction that what ER is giving for sure. I remember just logging into SWG for the first time right in the middle of Corellia city. Even though i was like a lost puppy, you could clearly see trainers, bazzars, the spaceport and after choosing which proffession you wanted, the meatlumps right out of the city were prime picking for grinding xp. ER, even though is in the same vain, it seems to be just in a very messed up state and doesn't seem like it will ever reach that type of polish SWG had in the sandbox mmo genre.

• nvrsbrnvrsbr Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by musicmann

The only sandbox game i ever played was SWG and it was never in this state when it first launched. It also gave the players a bit more direction that what ER is giving for sure. I remember just logging into SWG for the first time right in the middle of Corellia city. Even though i was like a lost puppy, you could clearly see trainers, bazzars, the spaceport and after choosing which proffession you wanted, the meatlumps right out of the city were prime picking for grinding xp. ER, even though is in the same vain, it seems to be just in a very messed up state and doesn't seem like it will ever reach that type of polish SWG had in the sandbox mmo genre.

MHS against SOE... you are joking right.

Originally posted by nvrsbr

Originally posted by musicmann

MHS against SOE... you are joking right.

Yea i guess it was a bad comparance. On the other hand, if you're gonna put a game out in this day and time, you better have more to offer than what ER seems to be pushing. It's kinda of a shame that even though MHS is a indie dev comapny it doesn't bode to well for them that a game  like SWG that came out so long ago had more polish, better UI and was more stable.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

My vote was for DCUO until I played earthrise last night. The developers even admit the game is broken, unfinished, and nearly unplayable but they are pushing it out anyway because the are broke and need the players to pay so they can finish the game : P

Blink blink

So sick of game developers that think their customers should be used as revenue to cover developement costs.

Ennn

That is the job of investors.

If a game developer mismanages their budget, then you fire them, hire new managers and find more investors to finish the project.

If the can not turn out a good game for a resonable and projected amount of money then they should all lose thier jobs and go out of business, otherwise they polute the market and taint the investor pool, making that much harder for the next grassroots company looking for investors.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

The OP is exaggerating a lot.

I've played the beta for about a month now - its not perfect, far from it.  The graphics are ok and the controls take some getting used to.  However if you have the attention span of an adult, give it a few hours of play and are reasonably intelligent you will find Earthrise to be a good little sandbox.  The PvP is a lot of fun, the controls are similar to Darkfall, they take getting used to, but if you actually give them a shot they become second hand.

This game isn't for everyone, but is certainly no where near as bad as the OP makes it sound.  I personally am going to pre-order it, I've had lots of fun in the beta and look forward to playing it at release.  To each their own I guess..

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243

The same people that buy this at launch are the same people that bought MO and DF at launch. The people that need full loot pvp and skill systems. Theres just not many options aout there.

Unfortunately theres no big company backing these niche games so they allways come up short on release. All the normal MMOS are backed by huge wallets and release in way better condition than Earthrise will but  those other games are all the same.

For me the ground work  is here for an amazing game. Its in a bad way rite now but i hope it does well. I cannot play games like Rift, theres nothing there, its the same game ive been playing for years.

The complaints are valid games should not release like this. But when the moneys gone its gone they have no choice i suppose.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

First off I'll disregard all posts mentioning not knowing what to do where to go.  Its a sandbox game (EvE like) not a hold your hand tell you what to do game (WoW).  As to performance issues, those posts, I tend to give some consideration. 

Also, as i dig thru the dozens of posts, I weigh the posters, post count, against what they say.  So, for you posters with sub 100 posts (like myself),  ripping this game I do hope you know what your talking about.  And yes post count does matter, in the internets world, it shows a certain amount of care for this particular genre to have a high post count.  That or you like to see yourself post, much like hear yourself talk.  Tho, I tend to believe the former.  And what that is showing is there is more to like about this title than to dis-like.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

It appears that this game may be a runner up for worst game of the year, if not THE worst game of the year... but I need a beta key to see what it is like for myself. I heard the words SWG somewhere in this thread.  I'm an old swg vet here, so the game may be of interest to me.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Even with the lag and disconnects i don't think that's the real problem of the game. Those things come with the territory of mmo's in general and can be fixed. I think it's the throwing players in the middle of nowhere without some type, even though it needs to be small, direction. The reason i used SWG was because like that, this is a game that seems to be in the same vain. MHS could of atleast started you off in a city where you had some type of bearing on what to do, how do you get from point A to B, bazzars and crafting stations in a central location to figure out how to use and such and just a place to figure things out.

For a game that is coming out in a few days and even though the devs have given their timetable on many of the issues, it seems that if they just changed a few things, it would give the players the time that is neede to get their feet wet.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

WoW Cataclysm.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Sicc1

The same people that buy this at launch are the same people that bought MO and DF at launch. The people that need full loot pvp and skill systems. Theres just not many options aout there.

Unfortunately theres no big company backing these niche games so they allways come up short on release. All the normal MMOS are backed by huge wallets and release in way better condition than Earthrise will but  those other games are all the same.

For me the ground work  is here for an amazing game. Its in a bad way rite now but i hope it does well. I cannot play games like Rift, theres nothing there, its the same game ive been playing for years.

The complaints are valid games should not release like this. But when the moneys gone its gone they have no choice i suppose.

I agree with this, open world sand box games are pretty much indie developer projects and few and far between nowadays. So people like me that like this type of MMO have a choice of spending the cash for a new sand box once or twice a year or sitting on my arse moaning about how an indie developer can't release it in a polished state (not that the big corporations like Blizzard or SOE can anyway).

So either I buy now and play and hope MHS is the next CCP or play nothing and whine on forums about it until one comes along or I die of old age! The money isn't that big of a deal (I spend more on cigars and drinks in a week than MMORPGs in a year), so I say **** it!

If it does a crash and burn then well it's another horror story for me to recant on the MMORPG.com forums to some nub in a few years that thinks the lead dev of X project is the second coming of Brad McQuaid until I remind him of the total disaster he had with ER ;)

If not then I'll be happy until I get bored of the game and something new comes along, it's like buying a good cigar. A Habanos doesn't come cheap but you have to buy it and smoke it before you know if you like it, reading reviews of self confessed "Afficionados" just doesn't cut it so you have to accept the risk if you want to widen your tastes. If money is too much of a problem go back to smoking old holborn and if you got a free smoke to sample it and didn't like it ... just STFU and don't complain like a ****ing muppet!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• VayranVayran Member UncommonPosts: 4

I agree with pretty much all your points having played in the Beta, however Worst Game of 2011 is a little premature.

There are a lot of games releasing in 2011 and I dare say there will be several stinkers amongst them, that'll make you look back and say "I guess Earthrise really wasn't that bad" image

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Does not surprise me really. After Mortal Online and Darkfall, I have pretty much given up on indy developed games. Very rarely are they any good, even in Eve it suffers from horrible UI and silly dbl-click to move system.

Even F2P games hold higher quality than these indy developed games.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file