Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Best MMO 2011

Comments

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243

This thread's name is idiotic... How can it be best if other games havent been released and we cant compare... I could say SWTOR is best game of 2011. Or another which will be released this year.... Rift is polished (at least IMO), have good features, but it is same old crap with 0 inovations (Rifts repetitive and same after first few, sould system may LOOK nice, but in the end there isnt too much useful choices...)...

So wait for 2011 to end and lets see on what people will vote...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I was playing MUDs for ages before that ;)

Whoa.. you hit my whimsical bone.  I was sitting here thinking to myself about when all the "graphics" issues were in my head cause I had to mentally picture the dungeon (or have a nice piece of graph paper to plot out exactly how to get back to the beastie where my body lay).

Those were the days.  People actually HELPED other players.

Course, back then AOL was pay by the minute but I was on college net so it was all I could eat :-)  Infoseek, altavista.  Google wasn't even thought of.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Vanguard is still one of my biggest regrets. It had the potential to become the best EQ level/class based clone ever, beating even WoW, but the stupidity and arrogance of it's developer, notably the lead dev, ruined it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by Elidien

Originally posted by Seffren

Trust me, SW:TOR will crush this game like no tomorrow, and people will barely remember it ever existed.

Could you at least give some reasons why to trust you?

NDA stops me from giving any detailled reasons, but you can just compared what is written on the SW:TOR website to what Rift is to see major differences. Rift is a braindead mole waking game compared to the story-based MMO that is SW:TOR.

Statements like these make you look like the leader of some kind of cult with brainwashed idiots swallowing your delusional gospel. 

The only "brainwashed idiots" (your insult, not mine... once again, a poster can't argue without insults) I see here are those who blindly praise this game without seeing its obvious limitations.

Refrain the insults in future posts or I'll have to start reporting. Thanks.

And you totally ignored my post that the story based aspect of TOR will be either well received or cause the game to do poorly because its a totally new system and it will be interesting to see how the community accepts it or not.

Funny to me that you keeping talking about insults but you indirectly insult everyone who likes Rift: "Braindead mole waking game" therefore people who play it are like this. Your insults and veiled in insults about the game but its the same thing.

You didn't count in the blind star wars/bioware fans.That alone will propably make sw:tor more succesfull than rift(in terms of sales).

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I think we should rather discuss which MMO will be the 'least bad' in 2011. The competition is going to be tough.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You certainly mean Rift's soul system :)

Sure did. Temporary insanity or typo.

I actually played Meridian too shortly, but UO beta was better - If it's a contest, I was playing MUDs for ages before that ;)

And I P&P games since '84. I actually prefered M59 myself, a matter of taste.

You can't really compare WoW, even at release with Rift. WoW at release had 6 different starter areas (3 per side) and several zones and paths to choose from to level up. Rift has to catch up with that variety before the players get bored. Content, content, content, and VARIED content. Rifts, random monster spawns, won't make up for real content.

True, WAR did have more content at launch. On the other hand Did Wow ha longer in development and both games cost the same, but it is more expensive to make a game now. Still, Rift is a lot larger than LOTRO was at launch and than EQ2.

Hopefully more interesting than 2010 concerning new games - but that's already achieved I think - Rift alone is more interesting than any of the packs of crap we got served in 2010.

Sure is and Rift is just one of the games that will release. I would say Rift is the best since LOTRO and just that makes 2011 interesting but it is the other games as well that will make the year epic. :D

Originally posted by Hyanmen

I think we should rather discuss which MMO will be the 'least bad' in 2011. The competition is going to be tough.

No. We should not discuss either of those things until the year is over.

And I guess you are the type with a half empty glass.

• kpnichokpnicho Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Sorrow

Yes I know it is only the last day of January, and we have 11 more months to go with a ton of really anticipated games slotted to release this year, but I feel more confident in making this statement than I have ever felt about any game ever before.

RIFT will be the best MMO of 2011, possibly of all time

Nooooo! I can't believe you just did that.

You've now cursed Rift. The rule is that when a really awesome game comes out you can't say how awesome it is or you will doom it to fail! Let's hope that Rift's awesomeness is so awesome that it doesn't apply to this rule.

Seriously though. I agree with the OP, Rift has taken from other MMOs and this is not a dad thing. They've taken some common ideas and refined them, this isn't stealing, this is progress.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Vanguard is still one of my biggest regrets. It had the potential to become the best EQ level/class based clone ever, beating even WoW, but the stupidity and arrogance of it's developer, notably the lead dev, ruined it.

You obviously have no clue what happened there then. 

REALITY CHECK

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Loke666

No. We should not discuss either of those things until the year is over.

And I guess you are the type with a half empty glass.

Well, I am optimistic when it is justified. Realist is more like it!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

It was more the pathetic coding that killed it. Sure, Brad must have been hiring in his beer buddies or something to write the code but most of the problem was really the load of bugs.

That SOE released it and spent 2 years after to fix it up didn't help either, they should have fixed it first and then released it. Smedley is a moron as usual.

And I P&P games since '84. I actually prefered M59 myself, a matter of taste.

Pen and paper RPGs since I was 12 years old. I'm 42, you count ;) Looks like we are both "old farts" hehe =D

True, WAR did have more content at launch. On the other hand Did Wow ha longer in development and both games cost the same, but it is more expensive to make a game now. Still, Rift is a lot larger than LOTRO was at launch and than EQ2.

LOTRO also had different starter areas depending on the race and different leveling paths at release, unlike Rift. I don't agree Rift has more content than LOTRO had back then, but Rift has an INFINITELY better gameplay and notably combat system, way more dynamic than LOTRO's crappy queue-based one. I'm not a LOTRO hater either btw, I still have a lifetime account there ;)n 2010.

Sure is and Rift is just one of the games that will release. I would say Rift is the best since LOTRO and just that makes 2011 interesting but it is the other games as well that will make the year epic. :D

I can agree on this. Rift is definitely the best EQ clone I've seen in beta since LOTRO, which back then was the best since WoW. But doesn't that also show the quite sad state of MMORPGs since at least 6+ years? 6+ years of EQ clones, 3 decent games... pretty sad.

And where's my UO clone ? (a real one, not a crap like darkfail or mortfail online).

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Thillian

You may want to take posting lessons from Loke666 - he answered the same quote than you, but he argued and explained politely, while you just flamed without any explanation.

It was more the pathetic coding that killed it. Sure, Brad must have been hiring in his beer buddies or something to write the code but most of the problem was really the load of bugs.

That SOE released it and spent 2 years after to fix it up didn't help either, they should have fixed it first and then released it. Smedley is a moron as usual.

Aye, you're right, I've only made it short in my post - there was more than one factor that made Vanguard fail, but Brad definitely was a big one (factor).

Even now, the game isn't totally "fixed" - but I went back and tested their new starter area notably, and it's night and day compared to the game at release. If it had been released like it is today, it would have had way more success.

Anyway, RIP Vanguard - may it serve as a lesson for future developers :)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I am not just making this statement wildly as hype.

Everyone who makes this statement before 2011 is actually over, is making it wildly as hype.

Because it doesn't matter how much you played RIFT, if you didn't play the other stuff that's coming in 2011 you can't compare.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Wow ok where to start...

First off those stating they find the game boring have obviously not invested much time in the game to even progess outside the 5-20 zones, the game doesnt really show its nature until 20+ when you move into the next zones.

Rifts evolve at higher levels and turn into some pretty amazing events,  unique bosses with special and inticing abilities. Some even requiring tactics to master.

Bad graphics? Sloppy pixels? Show me one SS of  tearing or seamed graphics from RIFT. I can show them to you in EVERY MMO that has ever come before, RIFT has ZERO! I know I've looked very very hard for them.

Show me a SS or video of a bad or broken collision, you can't because they do not exsist, for the first time ever in an MMO.

Linear? Hardly. Yes the game has a Linear quest line for our rather slow or challenged " gamers " that are incapable of finding anything on thier own. However it also allows more adventurous and intelligent gamers to depart the linear quest line and return as they like. There are tons of side quests out there if you go look for them.

The collections are almost a quest unto themselves as they can reward you some very nice upgrades, and unique abilities. For example I have lycanthropy and can shapeshift into a werewolf, a very cool looking werewolf.

The true greatness of RIFT however is its ability to handle massive battles, 200 plus players in one location graphics on the highest settings, full on partical effects, and no game breaking lag.  I wont claim no lag, but take into account the servers have been running in debug mode and its pretty minor lag if even.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Thillian

You may want to take posting lessons from Loke666 - he answered the same quote than you, but he argued and explained politely, while you just flamed without any explanation.

You may take a reading lesson then (or were you bitching about Brad without informing yourself first about what happened?) In any case, Microsoft stopped funding Vanguard 6 months before its planned release. Microsoft did that to many other games at that time (to every online game in development they funded), due to a cause we might never know. So your assumption that it's all fault of its lead developer is just a silly offtopic trolling.

REALITY CHECK

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Everyone who makes this statement before 2011 is actually over, is making it wildly as hype.

Because it doesn't matter how much you played RIFT, if you didn't play the other stuff that's coming in 2011 you can't compare.

But I have, and due to NDA thats more than I can really say.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

WARs PvE were sad at best, it was not really made for that. As MJ said: The game is called WARhammer, we focus on PvP because of that.

um, one can have pve "war".

Still, Warhammer's pve, with the exception of idea of public quests, was horrible.

As far as the topic of this thread goes, That's a tough one to day.

I think it really depends on personal taste. I mean, I'm preordering Rift and I'm very excited about it because it's fun to play.

But I don't know, when all is said and done, that it will be the best game. How can we know that? Even though RockGod alludes to a "certain game" being a dissapointment, I've learned over the years not to listen to anyone but myself. Too many people making claims on all sides that "x game is great, x game is boring, x game has issues"  and then when I've looked at it myself I can't see what they are talking about.

Follow your own noses people, don't let other sway you no matter what side they are on. Unless they know you personally and know your tastes there is no way someone can say x game is good, bad or otherwise.

Rift is fun, I'm going to play it. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Well then I don't care, because there is no way for me to verify anything.

And even without comparisons, there's a lot that can change between the release of RIFT in march and january 2012 for RIFT itself.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

You see this is what I mean ...

You are in the same boat as the_Korrigan, only on the other side of the spectrum.

You say: Rift rules coz SWTOR sucks!

Korrigan says: Rift sucks coz SWTOR rules!

These are only your opinions. Diferent tastes for different people.

Basing the failure or success of a game on your own taste is insane. Its only 1 vote in a pool of thousands (millions maybe).

And the thing that bugs me the most is that people like you 2 feel inclined to press your opinion on to others. Why ffs, why?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Lol, of course you have. The thing is everyone and their dog has played Rift now, since they re giving away keys like candy, and alot of people are seeing it s shortcomings. It has potential, and alot will like it, but alot don t or won t shortly after release. Anyone can claim they ve beta tested other games releasing this year, but can t prove it. I have played Rift and I can t see justifying a sub for that game. I haven t tried other games to be released this year and until I do I can t know for sure if Rift will be the best this year. That said If I don t want to sub for Rift, because I find it a snoozefest, and it ends up being the best game this year, I m in for one shitty year, for a new game that is anyways.

And even without comparisons, there's a lot that can change between the release of RIFT in march and january 2012 for RIFT itself.

Aye, not to mention Rift is coming out in a month, and not much is gonna change until then. There's no last minute magic patch making everything different, shinier and better, any MMO veteran knows that from experience.

The other games, the contenders, are still several months away.

Big difference, too.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Seffren

You see this is what I mean ...

You are in the same boat as the_Korrigan, only on the other side of the spectrum.

You say: Rift rules coz SWTOR sucks!

Korrigan says: Rift sucks coz SWTOR rules!

These are only your opinions. Diferent tastes for different people.

Basing the failure or success of a game on your own taste is insane. Its only 1 vote in a pool of thousands (millions maybe).

And the thing that bugs me the most is that people like you 2 feel inclined to press your opinion on to others. Why ffs, why?

Exactly, even if you look at this one forum, you can see dozens of conflicting opinions from people who actually played the game and can prove it.

Some like Rift, others do not (I mostly do like it btw).

I don't like the OP's need to press his opinion on others, the same goes for certain others in this thread. Not to mention that there's a couple of people too many who are suddenly in TOR's beta for my bullcrap meter to stay in the neutral area.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Aye, not to mention Rift is coming out in a month, and not much is gonna change until then. There's no last minute magic patch making everything different, shinier and better, any MMO veteran knows that from experience.

The other games, the contenders, are still several months away.

Big difference, too.

I think you missed F's point ....

• MetuzMetuz Member UncommonPosts: 9

After the beta 5 where you could get to level 30, I'm starting to regret my preorder :( really hope there is something better on the way in 2011. 

Playing some DCUO, way more fun than Rift, but not sure for how long there is content in it.