Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No levels & no classes; experience pts to buy powers!

Comments

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

I still need to see how it plays out. I don't like the game restricting me on what spells/skills I can use. I'd rather be a specific class&level if I can use all my available powers at will (or with little prep time) than the Guild Wars style of having dozens of abilities but only being able to use 6 or 8 or 10.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by dreamscaper

I admit it. I squealed like a rabid fangirl when they mentioned in the video that there were no classes/levels. I've been waiting for a setup like this for a long time now. <3

Same here!

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

Don't forget that they are letting you have only 7 active and 7 passive skills equpped at a time so with all the skills they limit you to how many you can use like GW and GW2 is doing so it should make for an even more diverse builds.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by segyn

Don't forget that they are letting you have only 7 active and 7 passive skills equpped at a time so with all the skills they limit you to how many you can use like GW and GW2 is doing so it should make for an even more diverse builds.

Which is a great idea; I don't know why that bothers some people.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Presbytier

Originally posted by segyn

Which is a great idea; I don't know why that bothers some people.

I don't mind it, but I see it doing the reverse.

With only 14 "choices" to make, min/maxing becomes easier to do, leading to the very thing that some people in this thread are so excited about the game NOT having: classes. Call them templates if you want. Call them "Flavors of the Month". UO had them, AC1 had them, SWG had them. There's really not been a game without classes, even those games without "classes". People find the optimal paths to take, and the rest (for the most part, there are people who willingly gimp themselves for RP or other reasons) follow the trails that have been blazed. Much like "levelless"... there will be levels in game. Just called something different.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by chrisel

WOW!!

I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers. I so looking forward to this. So far, I havent yet seen any game that has done it the same. Fallen Earth had levels, but no classes as well as a system where you earned pts to develop your character. This just have to be the best... I truly hope so. As long as FC doesn't screw up with a too early release.

Thanks FunCom, for bringing back some faith into the MMO world!

sounds like they have just moved where the point go.  you still have to kill stuff to get the points.  so instead of being lvl 30, your a 30 power character.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

You'll always need some form of progression in a MMORPG. The thing is, progression in TSW won't be via character levels.

It's class-less and level-less, so skills and gear and a collaboration between those 2 will be used, I think.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Characther progression is one thing, but I think they also will try to make a storyline troughout the game, that also will make players feel like they are progressing. Then come the cabals, and I guess "guild ranks", then PvP (Agatha) and the instances spread around the world.

I do wonder how the items will be, and how much they can be adjusted. I don`t think it will be as advanced as AO, but at least up to par on AoC I hope. (from release day?)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Destiny2010

Characther progression is one thing, but I think they also will try to make a storyline troughout the game, that also will make players feel like they are progressing. Then come the cabals, and I guess "guild ranks", then PvP (Agatha) and the instances spread around the world.

I do wonder how the items will be, and how much they can be adjusted. I don`t think it will be as advanced as AO, but at least up to par on AoC I hope. (from release day?)

True, I don't expect all areas to be available immediately, in fact they mentioned that there would be limitations or item/skill based requirements that was needed to progress into certain areas.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EsobaEsoba Member UncommonPosts: 16

I think what they are trying to do is extremely progressive, but I look forward to playing with the character progression.  Not having classes is something I have dreamed about for a long time.  I also hope they do not mess anything up and it will turn out wonderfully.  *Crosses fingers*

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

As far as I know, we will be able to equip 7 'active' skills, and 7 'passive' skills in iur toolbars. I am a bit sceptic towards this, as this would most certainly force us into groups. I am no fan of such "caps", but I have faith in FunCom that they will be able to pull this off. 

I once tried one of them NCSoft games, think it was Lineage2; we could there equip 7 or so skills, and it sure was a downer. Gamebreaking downer. Even if the rest of that game would be "good enough" I would not play it just because of only being able to use 7 or so skills at any time. I really hope TSW will be offering more to my toon than Lineage2 did...

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• HappyWulfHappyWulf Member Posts: 9

I just want to mention another MMO that has a classless / level-less system that I play.  It's www.darkfallonline.com

DarkFall also, however, has extremly brutal open PvP and full loot, so if someone kills you, they can freely loot your corpse of anything that was in it. On th upshot, equipment is a dime a dozen, it's not hard to aquire good gear at all, and so you tend to have several dozen sets of armor in your bank ready to go at any time you might die. So even if you get killed by a NPC Mob, you have equipment ready to go and corpse runs are not really nessisary, unless you had something on you you'd REALLY rather not lose.

Buuut, basically, you gain skill by doing things. You get better at spell casting by spell casting. (There are 10 magic schools, and you can learn all of them if you want to devote the time to it) Each weapon has it's own skill gains, blocking, swimming, jumping.. It's like Elder Scrolls the MMO. There's a lot of Crafting too. You can craft just about everything in the game. from weapons to armor to boats to catapults. Sieges against player owned cities happen all the time.

Monster are also TOUGH. Even the weakest goblins will gang up and jump down your throat if you are not careful. There is no 'invisability' Stealth, instead you have to hide in the shadows, crouch-walk and try not to make any noise as you sneak up on someone...  The game is based more on realism then high fantasy, but it has fantasy monsters and magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to TSW. But until it comes out, I'm playing this.   And you have been warned... You'll wither love DarkFall, or you'll HATE it. there's a 2 week free trial.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Originally posted by HappyWulf

I just want to mention another MMO that has a classless / level-less system that I play.  It's www.darkfallonline.com

DarkFall also, however, has extremly brutal open PvP and full loot, so if someone kills you, they can freely loot your corpse of anything that was in it. On th upshot, equipment is a dime a dozen, it's not hard to aquire good gear at all, and so you tend to have several dozen sets of armor in your bank ready to go at any time you might die. So even if you get killed by a NPC Mob, you have equipment ready to go and corpse runs are not really nessisary, unless you had something on you you'd REALLY rather not lose.

Buuut, basically, you gain skill by doing things. You get better at spell casting by spell casting. (There are 10 magic schools, and you can learn all of them if you want to devote the time to it) Each weapon has it's own skill gains, blocking, swimming, jumping.. It's like Elder Scrolls the MMO. There's a lot of Crafting too. You can craft just about everything in the game. from weapons to armor to boats to catapults. Sieges against player owned cities happen all the time.

Monster are also TOUGH. Even the weakest goblins will gang up and jump down your throat if you are not careful. There is no 'invisability' Stealth, instead you have to hide in the shadows, crouch-walk and try not to make any noise as you sneak up on someone...  The game is based more on realism then high fantasy, but it has fantasy monsters and magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to TSW. But until it comes out, I'm playing this.   And you have been warned... You'll wither love DarkFall, or you'll HATE it. there's a 2 week free trial.

" you gain skill by doing things. You get better at spell casting by spell casting." And bloodwalls/afk swiming/afk running/etc.

I am playing Darkfall; it is absolutely fantastic! After I started to play Darkfall I have become more eager for TSW to be released.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Earthrise has a similar system as well.  You kill mobs and run kill quests for Battlepoints which in turn you use to buy skills.  TONS of them.   I like the idea, I just wish these games with skill systems would mask the point grind better.  

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

I love the X-Files, I love vampires, werewolves, and the like. I am also a fan of King, Barker, and Lovecraft. I like Sherlock Holmes, and Agatha Christie. I can hope this game will be awesome...and I will most likely give it a shot of course. But, I am not holding my breath. 

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• Del137Del137 Member Posts: 6

Any useful armor/clothes ingame, giving some protection and/or some bonuses? I heard somewhere that  there will be only accessories?

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203

WOW!!

I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers. I so looking forward to this. So far, I havent yet seen any game that has done it the same. Fallen Earth had levels, but no classes as well as a system where you earned pts to develop your character. This just have to be the best... I truly hope so. As long as FC doesn't screw up with a too early release.

Is that for real? If so that will be the best sandbox evar!!! :)) Can't wait 100% will buy it.

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by lagerchobg

WOW!!

Is that for real? If so that will be the best sandbox evar!!! :)) Can't wait 100% will buy it.

The bad news is that Funcom have just gotten into bed with EA who will be co-publishing TSW. So expect this game to be pushed out the door early and unfinished (not that Funcom need the evil that is EA on board to to that, judging by their last two MMO launches).

• lagerchobglagerchobg Member UncommonPosts: 203

Well...I still got faith in them ;) lets be honest- even if the game is fail at launch it will be something new , something that most of the people around here needs. If you go through the forums you all will see that many of us are looking for that kind of mmo's. I believe that they learned from their mistakes and yes I agree that EA= fail...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Skill based does not equal sandbox, to whoever has this delusion.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Skill based does not equal sandbox, to whoever has this delusion.

Any updated "news" upon how "themepark" or sandboxish TSW will be?

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

WOW!!

This sounds intersting but the game can still blow chunks, we'll have to wait and see. It still is having levels thoiugh because I bet certan gear will require certan skill levels to wear, so its bascally the same thing just done diffrently. Plus the game is by funcom (aka failcom) so i ain't holding my breath.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

I can't wait for this game. The story seems really awesome, and I love the "idea" of the game. But, if it sucks I will not hestiate to drop it and move on. 

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I love the idea of no levels,i wish all games did away with them,however no classes?

The whole purpose of role playing something is to ummm role play something,weather we call it a class or not doesn't really matter.To do away with a class means you are just roleplaying nothing at all,kind of defeats the purpose of playing these games.

The abilities/powers/spells themselves should have some sort of definition,you are building your player towards what?A Werewolf?A Vampire?An undead?It all has to be for some purpose or there is no point to the game.

Even with no levels,i would need to replace those with age,as that is the more realistic approach,your player should have an age,levels were just a silly idea to begin with.

I might also add that once you remove the class therefore you are nothing more than a "thing"it leaves no room to creating an actual story.How would the story go if you  are nothing but a tihng?You area thing waiting to gain some random abilities to save the world?Even if you are a human,that is a type of class a character,but imo to just make everyone a human is again a VERY lazy design that removes them having to make several different races and classes.

When i see a developer is too lazy to put in the work and effort to make these MMORPG's ,i have no respect for them and would never support the game with my money.I wouldn't support it at all not even for free.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.