Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom

LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Ive recently started playing ryzom and im really liking it but is it likely to shut down pretty soon or is it doing pretty well?

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815

Ryzom has had some troubles, and has been shut down for a while before. The new devs seem well organized, I don't think it will shut down anytime soon.

Be sure to look at the Ring also, you can create your own scenarios, and publish them to the rest of the game. Great fun being dungeon master!

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200

Ryzom is here for a bit, the new developers have been busy fixing old bugs, and adding alot of new content.

Moonlightmist

• comcicomcacomcicomca Member Posts: 46

Every night, before I go to sleep, I pray to God Almighty that someday Ryzom gets a crowded community which it deserves. This prayer of mine never comes true. It is a lovely game. Perfect starting tutorial, interesting game world, players even have control over their skills (not level of a skill but ingredients of a skill), beautiful environment, interesting history... This list goes on and on.

I remember that in this game there are undiscovered recipes... still... because noone plays this game anymore. I don't play either because it is unpopulated and it is very hard to try to solo a sanbox game. Don't get me wrong. If Ryzom was an alternate universe, I would have jumped right into it. The idea behind this game is awesome but unfortunately noone has enough free time to play this game. I think you should consider other sandbox games because Ryzom is the ultimate sandbox type.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by comcicomca

Every night, before I go to sleep, I pray to God Almighty that someday Ryzom gets a crowded community which it deserves. This prayer of mine never comes true. It is a lovely game. Perfect starting tutorial, interesting game world, players even have control over their skills (not level of a skill but ingredients of a skill), beautiful environment, interesting history... This list goes on and on.

I remember that in this game there are undiscovered recipes... still... because noone plays this game anymore. I don't play either because it is unpopulated and it is very hard to try to solo a sanbox game. Don't get me wrong. If Ryzom was an alternate universe, I would have jumped right into it. The idea behind this game is awesome but unfortunately noone has enough free time to play this game. I think you should consider other sandbox games because Ryzom is the ultimate sandbox type.

Maybe that's the issue? If people aren't playing it because it needs more people then it's a bit of a catch 22.

If people want sandbox games to flourish they need to support sandbox games. Of course, the counter argument to that is that no one should spend money on something they don't think will give them good value. So if spending money on this game is not good value until more people come then of course it is wise not to spend that money.

Which is still a catch 22.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • brento73brento73 Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Sovrath

Maybe that's the issue? If people aren't playing it because it needs more people then it's a bit of a catch 22.

If people want sandbox games to flourish they need to support sandbox games. Of course, the counter argument to that is that no one should spend money on something they don't think will give them good value. So if spending money on this game is not good value until more people come then of course it is wise not to spend that money.

Which is still a catch 22.

Indeed.

I've played on and off since beta(which was really rough). I'm short of funds these days, but I might come back once I have the extra $11/month to spend. I think it's one of the greatest, least known games of the genre.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

It had that, for a while, while it went f2p.

I was there.

The community HATED it.

The whole time, the real Ryzom community was waiting for the day it went back to p2p so that the crowds would leave.

The community was very nice, untill you asked a question that could be seen as slightly negative towards the game, then they werent so nice.  I saw plenty of innocent questions get flamed because the answer to those questions wasnt positive to the game, if you know what i mean.

Ryzom is not the ultimate sandbox game.  A sandbox doent require you to do things or be something you dont want to be.  This game required you to be a magic caster, a crafter and a melee character, or be severly gimped.

Unlike, say, Darkfall, which you can still melee well if your not skilled in magic and crafting.  I really couldnt kill anything after trial island due to the fact that neither crafting or magic was entertaining to me. 

However it is one of the few mmorpgs in existance that isnt a UO/DAOC/EQ/EVE type game, its very unique in look and feel.  Well it kind of feels like Anarchy Online in combat, but i think that has more to do with the technology of the time.

Basically, you have to really want to like this game to enjoy it. 

The onlything that stood out as a great idea was their create a skill system, however in execution, getting a new skill or effect or whatever changed little to nothing in your combat experience.  I found myself using old skills and not noticing much of a diffrence between the new upgraded skill. 

Anyway, its long past its prime, the game engin is too ancient.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Subscription period / Currency

Euro

US Dollar

Pound

1 month

7.95 € /month

$ 10.95 /month

£ 7.75 /month

3 months

7.50 € /month

$ 10.25 /month

£ 6.98 /month

6 months

6.99 € /month

$ 9.49 /month

£ 6.49 /month

12 months

6.50 € /month

$ 8.83 /month

£ 6.00 /month

Ryzom is not expensive and they have a free trial of 21 days.

• ShakewellShakewell Member Posts: 3

They  just banned

Multiboxing/software

which almost every MMORPG in the world allow.

• jwentingjwenting Member Posts: 15

Actually, they didn't.

They banned botting, controlling multiple clients using a single keystroke from a single computer at once.

Running multiple clients and controlling each manually is quite legal, and a majority of users does so every day.

The only reason for the ban was the blatant abuse in guild battles by a very few players who used so many bots that they alone could beat anything anyone else could throw together (think 30 bots and 10 players against 20 players without bots).

This behaviour has lately been causing a lot of people to terminate their accounts, as they (rightly, IMO) concluded that if there's no way to have a fair and balanced game experience, they don't want to pay for those who're abusive.

As so often in the past, we now have to try to rebuild the community into the friendly place it's known for.

• LudisLudis Member UncommonPosts: 14

Originally posted by jwenting

Actually, they didn't.

They banned botting, controlling multiple clients using a single keystroke from a single computer at once.

Running multiple clients and controlling each manually is quite legal, and a majority of users does so every day.

The only reason for the ban was the blatant abuse in guild battles by a very few players who used so many bots that they alone could beat anything anyone else could throw together (think 30 bots and 10 players against 20 players without bots).

This behaviour has lately been causing a lot of people to terminate their accounts, as they (rightly, IMO) concluded that if there's no way to have a fair and balanced game experience, they don't want to pay for those who're abusive.

As so often in the past, we now have to try to rebuild the community into the friendly place it's known for.

Actually, they did.

Since you obviously don't know the difference between botting and multiboxing all comments made by you on the subject can and should be ignored.

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

Actually, Jwenting is right.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Tuyet

Actually, Jwenting is right.

Botting is unattended/automated gameplay, i.e. the characters play while you go make a sandwich.

Multi-boxing is controlling more than one character at a time while sitting there hitting the keys. Even controlling them all from one PC is still just multi-boxing as long as you are physically at your keyboard running everything.

There's a video of a guy playing 30+ characters at once in WoW, perfectly fine with Blizzard since the guy is physically interacting with those characters, all controlled by one keyboard/mouse.

From the description given they are banning multi-boxing from Ryzom, not botting.

TL,DR: Jwenting is wrong.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ShakewellShakewell Member Posts: 3

jwenting is  a troll from the game ryzom , just google the name jwenting and you will see what i mean. this guy has no clue what multiboxing is and only trolls the forums for kicks.

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

No, you guys are wrong.

If you are not using seperate mouse and keyboard strokes for each character, you are botting!

Boxing without botting is an art and I both do that and appreciate others who do.

But those that have to find shortcuts and use some type of botting,  I have no appreciation for.

And actually in Ryzom, the biggest problem I've had, is all the Vets that don't know the difference between boxing and botting and equate any boxing with botting.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Sadly this is bringing the server to it's knees.  I know alot of people are leaving, including those accused of botting, which in my opinion they weren't, but that is for another topic entirely.  Sadly I don't see how Ryzom is going to bounce back from this due to the lack of players as is.  With the biggest guild leaving, due to these new changes, even though the Senior CSR told them it was ok when asked a year or so ago, I don't think ryzom has much of a future.  It is very sad to see another great game go to waste due to a few complainers.

if botting (rather than running alts you control manually) is all that keeps a game alive, maybe it deserves to die.

Problem with Ryzom is that botting has been allowed (by very loose and selective interpretation of the TOS by some CSRs) for so long, the botters managed to drive most of the community into hiding and now that CSRs have waken up are resorting to open harassment of people who're not botting.

And no, running an alt isn't botting. Autolevelling requires botting but isn't the complete definition of botting.

Pressing 1 key and having a dozen toons on a dozen accounts do things at the same time IS botting, and that's at last been banned (now we have to see whether it leads to those engaging in it being banned, which isn't the same thing I've noticed over the years).

I hope the community (once again, it wouldn't be the first time) recovers and things return to the friendly atmosphere it overall used to be until quite recently.

We'll have to see, maybe once again Atys will prove stronger than those trying to destroy it, as it has so often over the last 6 years.

Well keep in mind jwenting, before the people started using said "botting" program, they asked the CSR's if it was against or for the TOS.  From what I understand, the Senior CSR ok'd it, as he uses the software as well.   So when they got the ok to use it, they did.  Now a year later, there is 2-3 people bitching and complaining about it, and they do a 180 on it.  And instead of just doing a 180, and being nice and diplomatic about it, they chose to harass those who used it. 

I understand that it did in a way make an unfair playing field, and will agree that the Kara's had a harder time fighting in pvp op wars and such due to it, but at the same time, it also seems as if they didn't group together and actually fight.  Personally, being a Kami, we tend to steamroll the karavan regardless of people using alts or not.  

It sadly is an unbalance of power, and I suppose lucky for you, the Kami's will be falling apart.  With the biggest guild leaving (TI), due to the harassment and everyone bitching about them, the game is going to be losing a ton of players.  I believe Nit said around 75 accounts will be going offline around the middle of Feburary.   It really is a shame for a game that only has maybe 1000 subs to begin with.  Hopefully this whole debate doesn't put the server in any farther risk of being killed.

• AeralinAeralin Member Posts: 8

Nice to see that you troll another forum as well, Lala, :)

The CSR's loosely interpreted the TOS, with full knowledge of the software being used.  Mokoi himself is a multi-boxer.  The community hasn't seen members leave solely because of this software.  At this point, whether or not the software should be allowed is even moot.  The way the CSR's handled the policy change is ridiculous.  If they'd issued a proper announcement stating the policy change, if they'd approached the players they felt were using said software and advised them against it, this could have all been avoided.  But instead, they follow players around in an attempt to catch them using software that they themselves say is impossible to prove.  They harass paying players with alts, enough alts that it's been keeping Arispotle alive. 

The policy change comes on the tails of the Karavan being driven from the game by TPM, the asshats everyone loves to hate.  Hurt me as a Kami to watch TPM bend the Kara over like bitches, so I helped do something about it.  Before this complaint, jwenting, the community complained about launchers being used at OP wars, and before that the heal pod.  Strangely, I've never seen your face at an OP, so it's difficult for me to get how you even know what players are doing there.  The communtiy is finally getting small enough that the few players, who are choosing to leave now because of said software use, are being noticed, whereas before TPM, no one would have noticed their absence. 

There is no difference in game between focusing the fire of several players with one player's target and using a multi-boxing software.  Things like extremely efficient plod teams or boss hunts have been brought to light in other forums.  These are studied decisions, using the game mechanics in the most efficient way possible.  I've seen dozens of players focus on one's target's with devastating results, however it's perfectly legal, as it's all possible through the use of in game macros.  Learning enough about the game itself to find a way to fasttrack players to mastery means just that, the players who arranged said teams learned a way to be efficient within the boundaries of the game.  These teams could have easily continued without the use of any given software.

The game itself doesn't want a larger community, even the devs have said they prefer the small community it has.  That said, we've been embracing the influx of recent new players from the Linux release.   The community also welcomed the influx when Ryzom went Open Source.  Unfortunately, neither of these will save the game.

Previous posts by Shadowlord10 are not me, btw, although his signature shows my alt's name.  Rustayn is my husband's toon.  I keep him alive as tribute to the hard work my husband did to level him.

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

I don't understand all the debate about multiboxing and botting.

The terms are clear:

1. multiboxing: using morre than one account logged in the game, with more computers or with more clients on the same computer. This is perfectly legal, as long as you play each character as intended: using your fingers.

2. botting: the use of any third party software to automate the actions of your character(s) in game, to gain an unfair advantage vs other players. Actually botting doesn't require multiboxing. If you play a bot on a single account you are playing ILLEGALLY. At the end, any kind of botting is ILLEGAL.

Of course, if you use bots to automate your characters in a multibox environment, that's ILLEGAL.

That's it. I think it's really clear and simple to understand.

Now: why multiboxing is legal?

First, you are paying for each account so each account is allowed to login in the game. If you do this simultaneuos or from a single computer, or from different computers, it's not something that the game's company can control, nor they should be interested. How you can judge if two accounts are on the same network, sharing a single PC but there are 2 people, or if the clients are very close and a single people is acting as an octopus using also the finger's feet?

A company cannot and must not care about it. It's just a waste of time and resources.

What they can and must do is to control the botting. Bots can be tracked and people using them should be banned. Nothing more, nothing less. maybe a temporary ban for the first time.

Personally I don't remember and I'm pretty sure the devs NEVER allowed multiboxing with bots. TOS allows multiboxing *without* bots. People that says different are the one that wanted to "misinterpret" the TOS to play their own unfair game.

Of course this people is stupid: the final result of this action is that they remains playing alone in an empty game.

Anyway, people that are asking the devs to do the right actions to restore the correct behaviour of the game, are right in their request. Devs cannot sleep all the time, happy to have a small community: one day they will awake to realize they have to turn off the server. They already did the big mistake to merge 2 servers, preserving all the stuff from the closing server. That was the start of all bad behaviour in the community, happened long time ago and slowly fallen to these bad days.

I unsubbed in december, and I am one playing it since 2004.

If and when the community returns at its splendor, and if and when the devs shows a real intention to increase the population with some good new patch, I will resub, because Atys is a wonderful world.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

some people just can't win an argument so they use multiple accounts to appear to have support.

Yes peeps, Aeralin and Rustayn are one and the same person :)

The character is now, that I don't play.  Sadly there were a few people long before you came around that ruined the game for me.  She makes use of them to help support Ryzom.  I'm not sure what your trying to get at m8, but if you want Ryzom to stay around, trolling it's members isn't the best way to go about it.   All your doing is hurting the few people that actually care and devote most of their time playing.  We both understand what your stance is, and we get it.  Your upset at those who multibox and use software to sync keys.  Trashing Ryzom's players and their good names in this crusade your on is only going to drive more people away.  So I humbly ask you to stop.  It isn't worth watching Ryzom die over something so silly.  It just isn't.

some people just can't win an argument so they use multiple accounts to appear to have support.

And  stating your OPINION of what botting is over and over isn't an argument either.

Here read up and actually learn something before running your mouth off again:

http://www.dual-boxing.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ_for_Non-Multiboxers

http://multiboxing.com/forums/f38/gm-quotes-multiboxing-vs-automation-3778.html

http://www.wowwiki.com/Multiboxing

http://howtomultibox.com/What_is_Multiboxing.html

Originally posted by Ludis

And  stating your OPINION of what botting is over and over isn't an argument either.

Your argument is fairly wrong. Taking WoW as the example of a definition is wrong. Only the TOS of a specific game can define the terms and you must refer to that definition only (because every game can have different macro systems or no macroing at all). Using WoW as the source of a definition is totally wrong.

Macro system in Ryzom is totally different from WoW and doesn't allow  to have a macro with a sequence of keypresses (more than 2) binded in one key.  You must use a third party software to do that in ryzom.

Macroing is allowed, botting is not. If you press ONE key and send the single key to all your characters (that require a THIRD PARTY software), that's botting, not macroing. If you press one key for EACH character you are playing, that's not botting.

I had in the past some not-so-good discussion with jwentig (aka Iala in ryzom), because often i was misinterpreted.

Aanyway this fact doesn't prevent me to agree with Iala about this discussion.

And you all should stop defending the wrong side, if arispotle is empty you must blame all the botters, that are playing ILLEGALLY, not the multiboxers without bots.

Originally posted by Shadowlord10

The character is now, that I don't play.  Sadly there were a few people long before you came around that ruined the game for me.  She makes use of them to help support Ryzom.  I'm not sure what your trying to get at m8, but if you want Ryzom to stay around, trolling it's members isn't the best way to go about it.   All your doing is hurting the few people that actually care and devote most of their time playing.  We both understand what your stance is, and we get it.  Your upset at those who multibox and use software to sync keys.  Trashing Ryzom's players and their good names in this crusade your on is only going to drive more people away.  So I humbly ask you to stop.  It isn't worth watching Ryzom die over something so silly.  It just isn't.

You are a bit confused. that people you mention only demonstrate the contrary... they really don't care of ryzom when they use bots to play.... I know a lot of people that really supported ryzom, no matter what's happened in the past, and no matter how the devs are improving the game..... and I include myself into. People that payed the bills even if not logging in game at all.

This people is now tired of stupidity around a game and are leaving, probably they already left.

Asking to help support ryzom, regardless of what happens and how some people act unpunished, is wrong. You can't win with this argument.

And I don't think jwentig (and me) are trashing ryzom, we are trashing the botters.

Originally posted by Gilgameesh

Originally posted by Ludis

Your argument is fairly wrong. Taking WoW as the example of a definition is wrong. Only the TOS of a specific game can define the terms and you must refer to that definition only (because every game can have different macro systems or no macroing at all). Using WoW as the source of a definition is totally wrong.

Macro system in Ryzom is totally different from WoW and doesn't allow  to have a macro with a sequence of keypresses (more than 2) binded in one key.  You must use a third party software to do that in ryzom.

Macroing is allowed, botting is not. If you press ONE key and send the single key to all your characters (that require a THIRD PARTY software), that's botting, not macroing. If you press one key for EACH character you are playing, that's not botting.

I had in the past some not-so-good discussion with jwentig (aka Iala in ryzom), because often i was misinterpreted.

Aanyway this fact doesn't prevent me to agree with Iala about this discussion.

And you all should stop defending the wrong side, if arispotle is empty you must blame all the botters, that are playing ILLEGALLY, not the multiboxers without bots.

I didn't just take WoW as an example of a definition.  If you had read all the links you would have seen that almost EVERY major publisher allows multi-boxing.  Just because your game doesn't allow it doesn't make it botting, it just means that they have outlawed multi-boxing.  You and jwenting are the ones using ONE example as the rule and it isn't the case.