Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall, best current MMORPG

13»

Comments

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Where is the..."This game just really isn't for me" option.  I'm not into pvp of any kind.  I don't like it and would hate for a game to force it on me.  I'm glad that you enjoy this game, but it's not the best current MMO for me.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Sigh ppl thinking they are hardcore because they waste years trying to upgrade all the stats in the worst kind of grind system...

If i wanted a grind game i would play lineage 2, better in every way(expect maybe the part that pvp is only fun and not rly balanced skill wise)

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

The grind is gone.

• AzelSpearsAzelSpears Member Posts: 39

I agree with the OP. Darkfall is the best game ever and is an amazing experiment in freedom.

Look What I Did - melodic mathcore band from Nashville, TN, see music videos from new record Atlas Drugged

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Some pictures to illustrate my story, enjoy! (Integrated into story in the OP- love to know what you think)

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    very nice post. love adventure stories like the one you just told :) darkfall<3

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Darkfall, best current MMORPG

I think I just threw up a little. Off to find a tooth brush.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Nice necro.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Those graphics are just a total turn off for me. Sorry

well the game looks good.. if u got a good computer try it on high and shadows on.. everyone turns the graphics down to have alot of FPS while fighting... but the game do look good for being so old.. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4

look at the video that is on this page.. the first one.. thats a pretty updated version that shows darkfall in a nutshell.. vidoe quality is bad but still u see the game and graphics and what i has to offer pretty well, anyway off to bed now GN!

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Mannish

They're getting revamped in the 2.0 launch, but as it stands most of it still looks better than other MMOs.

And would you honestly not play an MMO with full real time twitch based combat just because of graphics?

Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Mannish

They're getting revamped in the 2.0 launch, but as it stands most of it still looks better than other MMOs.

And would you honestly not play an MMO with full real time twitch based combat just because of graphics?

yeah graphics will be alot better then and the reason people thing darkfall looks so crap is becase people remove shadows and increase gamma and turn things to low so they got alot of FPS and also to see a target easier. if u put all on maxed setting game looks pretty damn good for being so old now.. but darkfall 2.0 will look even better.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

In game the graphics are not bad...not at all.

The game has its fair share of ugly scenery, imo mostly in alfar/ork/center and that island on the south east of the map name escapes me.

Theres a whole lot of great looking scenery that isnt drab or dreary, most of the game is like this.  Its certainly not an ultra modern looking game but it by no means is ugly or unplayable due to graphics.

Ive played a lot of nice looking games, and a lot of super dated looking games.  Darkfall is, as i would put it, average but getting dated.  2.0 should fix that, though im not sure if they are modernizing the character modles to be less polygonish.

On topic:  I think DF is the best mmorpg on the sandbox market.  Its severly lacking in a lot of "sand" specifically on the pve side.  It does a lot of things right however, mostly mechanically.  never a need for an alt to craft ect...hate games that make you reroll or regrind via skill cap when you need to make a few items then have to regrind combat up to where it was.

Major flaw is magic and how you can use every skill at its greatest potential with every weapon and role in one encounter...which should get fixed in 2.0.

Also, the major reason DF is where its at and most other indy sandboxes are stuck in alpha or dead...they got combat right.  Its fun its fluid and its complicated.  Also the pve mobs are like...well pve mobs...most sandboxes have pve mobs are mobile resource nodes and nothing more.  You can aquire gold/enchants/crafting mats all based on mob type...as well as gear which is usually near broken junk...but its nice to be able to pick something up you can use early on in game...rather than getting a bunch of mats then logging on to your crafting alt to make some weapons which is why i disliked MO's skill cap system.

To top it all off crafting/resourcing and just moving all helps your overall stats creep upwards...meaning you could be a better fighter by mining a few nodes...where again most games make it a zero sum stat...meaning you just increased mining but now cant increase combat...i dont like mutually exclusive stats and traits that cause me to make alts.  Just dont let me use it all at once if that makes sense, but give me the option to do whatever i want on one character given i wear the right gear ect.

Anyway.  Sad to have played this game for so many years.  I was there when the pvp trolls scared away all the pve players back when golbin spawns where the most populated areas...was there when the pve-less community said that grind was the reason everyone left..was there when the pvp community macroed for weeks on end ...was there when grind was removed several time and no one came back...and ill be here for the FPS crowd-appealing 2.0 gets released since the only players left are a few thousand FPS pvp min/maxers and no pve players. Oh and theres 20x skill gains so all those accomplishments i made playing legit gone in a few swings and few magic casts.  Good time to hop in but the epicness of the game was never realized and wont ever be with its current community.

My hope is that 2.0 allows some pve players to get past the early game bottle neck and really enjoy what was once one of the most epic sandbox pve games...even with the lack of a lot of sandbox elements and "stuff" that didnt involve pvp zerging or stomping noobs at half health during mob encounters.

• ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100

So where IS 2.0?

And I played Darkfall, I wouldn't call it "twitch" combat. More of a click and pray kind of arrangement. 

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i played darkfall for about a month, i really liked the game but decided it wasnt for me. I would agree though that darkfall is quite possibly the best mmorpg at the moment if not its up there with the likes of EVE etc.. what it focuses on it does very well but it isnt a trade sim like EVE.

Im looking forward to 2.0 hopefully this version is the game i want to play.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

DFO Is the best mmorpg, but only those who currently play thinks that like me.

When 2.0 will come out, DFO will be the best mmorpg as a fact.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

well its better than most, but i dont think its the best mmo and 2.0 is still vaporware.

EVE is all round a better game, but with the fast skill gains with the recent darkfall its certainly up there.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Arnoagns

So where IS 2.0?

And I played Darkfall, I wouldn't call it "twitch" combat. More of a click and pray kind of arrangement. 

If you click and pray you're doing it wrong lol, you'll hit more if you're aiming ;)

Definately the most exciting MMO out there for PvP.