Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals The Guardian

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As speculated last week, ArenaNet and NCSoft have officially unveiled the Guardian character class. We've got some brand new screens of the Guardian in action as well as information about special skills, weapons and virtues that this master tactician possesses. Check it out and then leave your impressions in the comments below.

“I’ll guard you. Let them come through ME first!”

The guardian is a devoted fighter who calls upon powerful virtues to smite enemies and protect allies. As dangerous with a staff as he is with a mighty two-handed hammer, a true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own defenses to empower his allies to achieve victory.

Read more about the Guild Wars 2 Guardian class.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Pretty much what was expected.

Paladin class

I see many people enjoying this playstyle.

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

I was pissed that its not mesmer class revealed now but.. this looks also nice. Great job Anet, lets hope even gameplay is as nice as what we got so far!

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Paladin class

Although thematically this is a paladin (or a cleric), you can hardly say that Guardian has the same playstyle as, lets say WoW Paladin. Paladin playstyle archetype is tanking/healing/buffing class. Guardian is a CC/buffing/AoE protection class.

• natetheheronatethehero Member Posts: 41

So, the guardian is essentially a paladin, but this is Arenanet, so we can expect it to still be very unique.

I love the Faithful Strike video, where the female guardian rolls from the first enemy and then does her two handed leaping Faithful Strike in one fluid movement. And the character art for the asuran guardian looks awesome.

Anyone else think that the videos for Hammer of Wisdom and Zealout's Defense might have been accidentally switched?

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Aha !... Blue-mace lady has been revealed ! Though in this case there's now also a Blue-Mace Lord ! 

Originally posted by Maggon

HAha !... Blue-mace lady has been revealed ! though in this case she has turned into a Blue-mace man xD

Blue mace Orlando Bloom more likely...

• serphilithserphilith Member UncommonPosts: 27

Is it me or does the blue mace lady's armor look like Fate/Stay Night's  Saber Armor?

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Werthe

Paladin class

Although thematically this is a paladin (or a cleric), you can hardly say that Guardian has the same playstyle as, lets say WoW Paladin. Paladin playstyle archetype is tanking/healing/buffing class. Guardian is a CC/buffing/AoE protection class.

I don´t think he meant the WoW Paladin. Actually WoW is the only game I can think of where Paladins are such powerful healers. So far the classes remind me more of Diablo 2.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

HAha !... Blue-mace lady has been revealed ! though in this case she has turned into a Blue-mace man xD

Blue-mace Lord and Lady.

This is not a game.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Oh damn.

Now u can see that they still use the same GW 1 engine with just a little new textures. Looks really old.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Blue-mace Lord and Lady.

Ah right... Fixed ;)

• KaynokKaynok Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by makii

Oh damn.

Now u can see that they still use the same GW 1 engine with just a little new textures. Looks really old.

You just made one of the more stupidest comments I've seen on here. Congratulations.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Oh damn.

Good! One less troll in GW2. :)

Eat me!

Oh damn.

It's true that graphically GW2 isn't on the level of TERA, but you can hardly say that it looks old or like GW1 with a little new textures. I'll remind you that on Gamescom Nvidia picked GW2 to show the power of it's new technology.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Herodes

Paladin class

I don´t think he meant the WoW Paladin. Actually WoW is the only game I can think of where Paladins are such powerful healers. So far the classes remind me more of Diablo 2.

I didnt mean WOW Paladin.

Paladin is a fantasy class concept that existed over 20 years before WOW or Internet.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

"Feel the backhand of justice!" Ahh Paladins... GW2 here I come! XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Oh damn.

Say that again after you've seen this video at 720p and in fullscreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoICk5E9X7g

Paladin class

Paladin is a fantasy class concept that existed over 20 years before WOW or Internet.

Actually, Paladin is a member of a French knightly order that existed 12 centuries before WoW or internet. But whatever. What defines the playstile of your paladin ?

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Paladin class

Actually, Paladin is a member of a French knightly order that existed 12 centuries before WoW or internet. But whatever. What defines the playstile of your paladin ?

I'm somewhat convinced that the French did not possess magic or enchanted, flying weapons at that time. Also, centaurs, ogres, Grawl, Skritt and Drakes were quite rare in the Middle-Ages. With that said, the Guardian isn't based on the idea of a paladin.

Originally posted by Alot

Paladin class

I'm somewhat convinced that the French did not possess magic or enchanted, flying weapons at that time. Also, centaurs, ogres, Grawl, Skritt and Drakes were quite rare in the Middle-Ages. With that said, the Guardian isn't based on the idea of a paladin.

Actually, Paladins from medieval stories and myths ARE the foundation of modern RPG idea of a paladin. And now lets stop with smartassery. It's counterproductive with class discussion.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Oh damn.

It's true that graphically GW2 isn't on the level of TERA, but you can hardly say that it looks old or like GW1 with a little new textures. I'll remind you that on Gamescom Nvidia picked GW2 to show the power of it's new technology.

He is just trolling. Not sure if GW2 is or isnt graphicly on lvl of TERA, but i defintly like art style of gw2 more than TERA's.

But what really surpsied me was 1 answer on http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/specials/exklusives-interview-guild-wars-2-lead-designer-7330/seite-7/

"There are no ally targeted skills in Guild Wars 2. The spirit weapons are summoned for the guardian themselves; however they can still be used to protect allies by activating their abilities against enemies targeting those allies."

No ally target skills ?! That means no direct single target heals with exception of self heal ?!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Malevil

Oh damn.

He is just trolling. Not sure if GW2 is or isnt graphicly on lvl of TERA, but i defintly like art style of gw2 more than TERA's.

But what really surpsied me was 1 answer on http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/specials/exklusives-interview-guild-wars-2-lead-designer-7330/seite-7/

"There are no ally targeted skills in Guild Wars 2. The spirit weapons are summoned for the guardian themselves; however they can still be used to protect allies by activating their abilities against enemies targeting those allies."

No ally target skills ?! That means no direct single target heals with exception of self heal ?!

Not to mention the fact that ally-target heals will be weaker than self-heal. Back off ye trinitarians!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Comparing the Guardian to a Paladin is incorrect, but it's also fair. It's easy to see the similarities, as the term "Paladin" has been used to describe just about any class in heavy armor that protects other people, whether or not it does so with magic.

As for differences:

Compared to D&D - Paladins in DD were holy warriors, their power came from their gods in the form of (mostly) self-buffs and heals with the exception of Lay On Hands. The Lay On Hands thing is a lot like what Logan was doing in the book, so that much is quite similar. However when it came down to it, they were still better at protecting themselves than other people unless they stepped right in the way of incoming damage. They were also good at scaring off undead. With the exception of the slight healing, the Guardian does none of the above things (so far).

Compared to WoW - I don't know a whole lot about WoW classes honestly, so I did a bit of research. It seems once again paladin focused on protecting itself, however certain builds were competent healers. They also had the whole aura thing going.

I've seen paladins in a lot of games, but those are the only MMO's off the top of my head that I can think of. That's not including f2p games...if I got into those this list would be unnecessarily long. But yeah, the Guardian is entirely different than the above two. He focuses more on creating magic walls to protect people from damage, and deflect it back at others. It seems he's build around protection, even having Melee skills that knocked monsters ~away~ from the person they were attacking, where he can then set up a wall and protect the downed ally. Pretty clever. The creation of AoE wards and sigils will emphasize that, as well as the party buffs. The thing I liked most though were those phantom weapons, which were especially unique.

If I had to pick a plate class it would be this guy over the Warrior. I still would have preferred a caster/light armor class though T_T I wouldn't care if these classes were coming pretty regularly, but there was a huge gap between this guy and the last one (necromancer). I hope that doesn't happen for the next class :(

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."